Scooter (preggo wife and toddler) - Umbrella?

Does disney allow scooter umbrellas? (2019 rules)

• Total voters

N Shah

Earning My Ears
Taking 3yo and pregnant wife to Disney World next month (3 days). Staying at a Disney Springs hotel
Im planning on renting a scooter so its more comfortable for my wife. She has not used one before but is pretty saavy.

Plan to rent "SNAP portable" from "Scooter Vacations" - searched here but not much feedback. If anyone has heard anything, please let me know. Rates are about 20-30% less than other scooter rental locations. Current rate is $25/day and then they offer additional 10% off coupons

Another options is "Best Price Mobility" - which is the same price.

Planning to Uber to the themeparks from hotel and back. Also planning on bringing a stoller for toddler.

With the new rules, has Disney been allowing scooter umbrellas? Those that clamp onto the scooter? (See image)? It will really help protect from sun or rain.
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any idea whether those are allowed or not, but I am the mom of three kids and I suggest you just plan on going a little slower and take breaks when you need to. Have you been to Disney before? It can be so crowded; I would not want to deal with the stress of having to drive a scooter though the crowds if I could avoid it. You are already going to have to deal with navigating the crowds with the stroller. Plus having to deal with getting both the scooter and the stroller back and forth to the hotel...honestly, that seems like a lot of hassle for something that is not absolutely necessary.

Check the weight and dimensions of the scooter and be sure it will fold up compactly enough to fit in the Uber's trunk in addition to the stroller.

So I’m with the pp about wondering if the scooter is necessary. I went when I was pregnant (around 20 weeks or so) and was fine. Now I’m fairly active, remained active while pregnant, and had an uncomplicated pregnancy. Since I don’t know the specifics beyond that she is pregnant I won’t try to encourage you to drop the idea, but I would just make sure you consider the hassle that one of these things is and make a decision if it’s worth the extra stress for what you will get out of it. Regarding your actual question I have a feeling you may get more useful responses posting to https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

That forum is for people with disabilities to discuss things just like this and people there may be able to provide better, specific answers to your question. At least I know that I’m better able to answer a stroller related question then anything about a scooter. Good luck!

I can't say I've ever seen those umbrellas in the park. However, like the above poster said disabilities thread may be able to help you more. Just wanted to make sure you talked to your wife about this before doing it. I know there's no way in hell I'd drive one of those around Disney even pregnant. Also, you're looking at a pretty expensive uber bill. You will probably need an Uber XL to fit the scooter plus you'll need to add on the car seat option for your toddler. It may end up cheaper/easier to rent a car.

I don't have any idea whether those are allowed or not, but I am the mom of three kids and I suggest you just plan on going a little slower and take breaks when you need to. Have you been to Disney before? It can be so crowded; I would not want to deal with the stress of having to drive a scooter though the crowds if I could avoid it. You are already going to have to deal with navigating the crowds with the stroller. Plus having to deal with getting both the scooter and the stroller back and forth to the hotel...honestly, that seems like a lot of hassle for something that is not absolutely necessary.
Thanks so much for your input. I have been before and the crowds are very random. Sometimes super crowded, but other times not bad at all. It is my first time with a pregnant wife and toddler though.

We plan on taking tons of breaks, and skipping most coasters. I dont think we are in any rush to get anywhere! I just want my wife to have a decent experience adn not have her feet hurt at the end of day 2. I heard many people say a scooter is helpful, but annoying to navigate. Have you gone through the parks while 6 months pregnant? Was it okay to walk?

I had no issues with a stroller in the past because we usually Uber back and forth. I tried the bus a couple of times, but Disney transport takes a long time from the park to our hotels and gave up - the last trip took me 45 minutes one way! My kid and wife passed out just waiting for the bus to arrive.

So I’m with the pp about wondering if the scooter is necessary. I went when I was pregnant (around 20 weeks or so) and was fine. Now I’m fairly active, remained active while pregnant, and had an uncomplicated pregnancy. Since I don’t know the specifics beyond that she is pregnant I won’t try to encourage you to drop the idea, but I would just make sure you consider the hassle that one of these things is and make a decision if it’s worth the extra stress for what you will get out of it. Regarding your actual question I have a feeling you may get more useful responses posting to https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

That forum is for people with disabilities to discuss things just like this and people there may be able to provide better, specific answers to your question. At least I know that I’m better able to answer a stroller related question then anything about a scooter. Good luck!
Very helpful! Thank you.

Thanks so much for your input. I have been before and the crowds are very random. Sometimes super crowded, but other times not bad at all. It is my first time with a pregnant wife and toddler though.

We plan on taking tons of breaks, and skipping most coasters. I dont think we are in any rush to get anywhere! I just want my wife to have a decent experience adn not have her feet hurt at the end of day 2. I heard many people say a scooter is helpful, but annoying to navigate. Have you gone through the parks while 6 months pregnant? Was it okay to walk?

I had no issues with a stroller in the past because we usually Uber back and forth. I tried the bus a couple of times, but Disney transport takes a long time from the park to our hotels and gave up - the last trip took me 45 minutes one way! My kid and wife passed out just waiting for the bus to arrive.

I have not been to Disney while pregnant, but I did go while undergoing chemotherapy, two months after surgery. Like you, I didn’t know what to expect as far as my stamina and how difficult it would be for me to walk and stand so much. My husband asked if I wanted to rent a scooter, but my immediate response was that I was healthy enough to manage and that I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of a scooter. We decided to play it by ear and make adjustments if necessary, and it was fine.

Also, since you mentioned you typically Uber, I suggest you check out the Minnie vans. They are very nice and take you right to where the busses drop off, which I understand is closer than Uber. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I do not know if its allowed but last June I saw a family of 4 each with what was obviously privately owned scooters and all had overheads to protect them from the sun. I do not know if people just let them in or if a permanent roof was allowed but they were there.

I’m with the others in wondering if a scooter is really necessary. I did 3 days of Disney at 4 months pregnant. I took frequent breaks (after overdoing it a bit the first day) and managed fine. My feet were tired, but they are at the end of a day in the parks even when I’m not pregnant. My regular exercise routine at home was plenty of prep for the parks.

I'd be more worried about the heat and staying hydrated more than the feet hurting. My babymoon was in NYC because of a college reunion, I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant and walked 30-40 blocks a couple days in a row without a problem.
The one feedback I see about ECVs is they are not as intuitive to drive as one might think. I'd be more inclined to try the first day or two WITHOUT the scooter and then if you need one, just rent it at the park.

Agree with the above- skip the scooter & take frequent breaks. Having a scooter in your party is cumbersome, frustrating, and causes more stress to the user than it's worth, IME. My mom did the "frequent breaks" option when she was 6 months pregnant with my sister, and we all had a great trip- her included!

Also I have never seen those attached umbrella options at the Disney parks; I'm not sure they're allowed.

Enjoy your trip!

I also agree with a pp about staying hydrated being the most important. We were there when I was a teen and my mom and aunt were both pregnant (late second to early third trimester). Anyway, my mom stayed hydrated and even though she is a type 1 diabetic who had multiple c sections she was fine (so she was the high risk one of the two). My aunt didn’t stay hydrated enough, though, started to feel premature labor pains and had to be taken by paramedics out of the park to the hospital for an IV. As soon as they hydrated her she was fine with no further issues. It had nothing to do with the walking and everything to do with the heat and not drinking enough water. Especially since my aunt was extremely fit, exercised constantly, etc.

The other big thing is to listen to your (or in this case have your wife listen to her) body. My mom went pregnant numerous times without issue. The other thing is to, of course, ask her doctor their opinion. They know all of the unique circumstances of your wife’s pregnancy and can provide the best advice :)

I've been to Disney several times, including during the end of the 2nd trimester. At that point, I'd be more uncomfortable sitting that long on a scooter versus walking around.

Also, a swim in the hotel pool was a great way to rest the legs and recover after a day at the parks! (and I bet the toddler will enjoy it, too!)

I agree with those thinking this seems unnecessary unless she has health complications. I did Disneyland with two little ones, while 5 months pregnant a few years ago and the walking was 100% fine. Just making sure she stays hydrated is probably far more important. I would also imagine that parking a scooter in those parking areas and a stroller in stroller parking (Are they together or separate?) could really be a hassle.

We were in Disneyland a few weeks ago and saw several (seemingly competent) people really struggling to navigate their scooters. We also saw a little kiddo get his foot run over by a relative on a scooter and it looked painful. I don't remember seeing an umbrella thing like that on any of them.

I’d wait and see, if she really needs one you can always rent them on site (we did that with my dad because we didn’t want to deal with it out of the parks). I could see a 3 year old being very unhappy she was not allowed to ride with mommy on the scooter.

Agreed. I went at 7 1/2 mos & was huge b/c DS was (is) huge. I just took it slower.

I went at 7 1/2 mos. It was very crowded that trip. But, I had no issues at all other than didn’t ride big stuff. My feet were fine & probably hurt less than previous trips b/c we are normally commando types. I took it slower then previous trips. Have you discussed it with your wife b/c I would have absolutely never even considered one for pregnancy since I’m not disabled. However, I had been to WDW dozens of times before so I knew it was nothing I couldn’t handle.

Aside from the scooter and wife discussion, you mention taking uber to park every day. What about a car seat for toddler? I've never used uber but I thought car seats are not that common.

even with low crowds the ECV is not as easy as you think she is going to have to watch for people stepping right in front her. people just do not see the ECV as it is below where they are looking and this was a low crowd day. also make sure it is a folding/ take apart one so it will fit in trunk and this is where you could have trouble with stroller fitting with the ECV. I cant be sure about Ubering as we only used Disney transportation when I had ECV but I would be sure that they will take the ECV and stroller together

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!