Scooters you can transport in a rental car?

Aflyingbuttress

Mouseketeer
I was planning to rent a scooter when we were staying onsite because we were taking a bus. But now we’re staying offsite and getting a rental. Is there any type of scooter I can still rent?

Will you have a car or mini van? If mini van you should be fine. You'll just have to disassemble the chair(take seat, batteries, basket off and fold down the handle) before putting it in the back. Doing it that way, it might also fit into a regular cars trunk, especially a hatchback, but we've never tried it.

We always rent the heavy duty scooter because my dad is larger man so the smaller version might not be an issue at all for a car. I just don't know. I'm sure the rental company would know if it fits in a car though.

Scooters vary in size and weight. There are three and four wheel scooters. If you need a larger one for a larger person than those are heavier and slightly bigger.

Some people get a larger scooter because they have stronger batteries and will last longer on a single charge. This helps with staying longer times in the parks.

You need to charge the scooter everyday of use.

With regards to fitting it in a car we can get a smaller scooter in our Lincoln Town Car trunk but we are two people doing it together. The base is rather awkward. Each piece broken down will weigh between 20-30 pounds each. You can watch some u-tube videos to see how this works.

You can't take a scooter on a tram in the parking lot to get to the park. If you can get a temporary handicap placard from your doctor that will help you to get handicap parking there. If you can't get a placard, some have reported that if you talk to the parking attendant in the parking lot they will be kind and give you closer parking if you tell them you have a scooter.

Some people just rent at the parks. The scooters cost more there. You still have to walk back and forth to your car. Also, you want to get to the parks earlier to secure one. They can get sold out.

Let the rental company know that you want to transport the ECV in a car trunk and they can help you.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has rental company in post 2. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

My scooter fits in the hatchback of my car. I drive a 2005, Malibu Maxx and my scooter is a Buzzaround GB118.

When I pack it, I make sure to carry a couple of large towels to put between the pieces. That way they don't end up scratched.

We have had luck in the past letting the parking attendant know we have a scooter and they'll usually let us park in the handicap section. Getting there at rope drop also helps secure a close spot.

We have had luck in the past letting the parking attendant know we have a scooter and they'll usually let us park in the handicap section. Getting there at rope drop also helps secure a close spot.
ECVs (and generally wheelchairs also) can’t go on the parking lot trams, so if you are traveling with one, the CMs will direct you to an appropriate place to park.
Don’t park in the spots with handicapped parking signs or blue paint without a valid handicapped parking permit. Those are subject to the same fines for parking without a permit anywhere in the US.
There are spots with while painted lines in the ‘Medical Parking’ that you can safely park in. Our daughter has a handicapped parking permit and we often have to park in the white paint line spots because the actual handicapped parking spots are full. There usually are ample white lined ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter