(Sea)Lions & Gators & Dolphins….Oh, My! A Halloween PTR/TR with a “wild” theme - Oct/Nov '18

Oh it lost my reply :(
Basically I was saying how I love the extra space you get at SVR. Although this vacation we are staying 1 week at Disney we then move to Windsor Hills for the rest of our stay so we can spread out. As you know our daughter is joining us for the last week so she'll have her own bedroom and bathroom. Not sure if I mentioned it, but our niece who moved to Saratoga Springs recently is also flying down to join us for a few days too :thumbsup2 so we'll have a week by ourselves, 4 nights with our family (2 youngsters in tow) and the last week with our daughter :goodvibes
Looking forward to your next update Gina.

Ok, the pukefest is my worst nightmare come true. People throwing up is my worst fear so I have nightmares about being stuck on a plane where someone vomits and I can't go anywhere to escape from it. I'm appalled that the family didn't even apologize (to you or the flight crew). After a start like that, at least the trip has nowhere to go but up!

Your villa looks great - so much space! Gatorland is always a lot of fun, I love its kitschy feel and it's a nice laid back change from the big parks.

Ooh- I'll have to check it out! I have Kohl's cash that kicks in later this week!:thumbsup2

Gina- your villa is amazing!:thumbsup2 We thought our 1BR villa was very nice, but tiny in comparison to a 2BR.

Loving those socks you bought!! Where are those from? I'm looking to buy my DS's and DS's fiancee some unique socks for Christmas. :)

Can't wait to hear about Gatorland!

Gina and Patty - The socks were in the juniors (young ladies) section at Kohl’s! Hope you find them. :yay:

Glad to see you've kicked off your trip report!

I have to say, the puke fest made me giggle! I cannot even imagine the smell. Oh lord!! I bet you were grateful to be on the ground!

Canadian friends I need some suggestions please. I think I need to make a day trip to Vancouver for Timmy's, Boston Pizza and Lauderee macarons along with some potential xmas shopping. I know I have to go downtown for Lauderee which is fine, I think it's on/near Robson st which at least gives me some window shopping.

I only need to shop for my mom and the dogs and the only thing I can think of is a new washable gym bag since she's mentioned looking for one. Xmas decor is also good. Then I'll find something we can go do for another gift, a play or something.

I normally hit up the same mall in Surrey but I think it's time to try somewhere new and closer to dt. Any suggestions? Or stores near you that are good that are also in the Van area?

I'm good going up to Richmond and over to Langely, though I prefer to avoid the bridge toll. Maybe I should finally check out the stores on the Van side of the bridge by hard rock.

I have a nexxus card and know more than one way over the border and can generally get around fairly well with my old fashion paper map or gps really I just want to eat up there but figure I need to add the shopping so people don't think I'm totally nuts :banana:

@afan you might get better input just posting this same question on the Canadian forum. Many of the Canadians that follow along with Gina are more easterly. It's been quite a few years since my last trip to Van, but I do remember that Robson was fun for shopping and dining; I used to enjoy staying at the Shangri-La Hotel a couple of blocks off Robson. I did really enjoy the funky shopping on Granville Island as well; should be lots of unique Christmas gifts there. I used to have responsibility for an office in Burnaby, so I would visit there from time to time, but nothing really stands out to me as memorable for shopping around Burnaby.

@afan you might get better input just posting this same question on the Canadian forum. Many of the Canadians that follow along with Gina are more easterly. It's been quite a few years since my last trip to Van, but I do remember that Robson was fun for shopping and dining; I used to enjoy staying at the Shangri-La Hotel a couple of blocks off Robson. I did really enjoy the funky shopping on Granville Island as well; should be lots of unique Christmas gifts there. I used to have responsibility for an office in Burnaby, so I would visit there from time to time, but nothing really stands out to me as memorable for shopping around Burnaby.

I had forgotten about Granville, I haven't been there since HS. I'll have to look it up to see what's there and if I can park in one spot and use the lightrail to get around.

I'm not necessarily looking for Van specific places to go but chain stores I don't know about. Chapters, walmart, sears and the bay along with roots are the only one's I'm aware of.

Hi Gina I am so glad I am catching up on your report. Your report is getting me excited for my trip in June.:yay:. I am sorry about that puke fest. You held it together great! I am not surprised that the parents didn't acknowledge anything. I am glad that you and Steve made it through. Nice to see that you got to share the flight with some friends.

I love the pics of Vistana and can't wait for more. I did reserve a 2 BR at Vistana but I didn't put any requests for location. I will contact them and see if I can note something now then follow up a few weeks before we leave.

I am writing down all the restaurants that you put up on your report. I needed some ideas for off site around there. Thanks so much!

Looking forward to more of your report.

You have no idea how excited your pictures are making me for our March trip.:sunny:
I haven’t been to Vistana since late 2014, and I had forgotten how pretty it was. We are supposed to be in a Fountains Villa. I’m really hoping we are , and I would just love one of those top floor villas with the vaulted ceilings.
Looking forward to seeing what Gatorland was like. :)

I hear you, we will be arriving at Vistana and doing Discovery Cove, Sea World and Aquatica in June for my daughter's graduation gift.:cool1: This will be our first time there:D

Stitch's hunt is at DS at mostly Disney owned spots. They tell you what places you have to look for him holding a gift. They are all about a foot tall, flat and harder to find than I eexpected. They're all inside too, so I would ask if I was close and some were more helpful than others. The one at uniqlo is upstairs and they were working on the escalator, it was getting hotter out and I was done with people so I guessed on it. Also didn't find the one at wolfgang express, I think ot eas in the actual line area which isn't smart with a place like that. Most were just up high.

You get a button, nothing exciting. One of the blogs, not the dis, posted it on twitter today. I'll try and find it tomorrow night of I remember. It would have been better if I'd started when I got there instead of on my way out so I did have to go to a few places twice. And it forces you onto the christmas tree trail to find one. The trees just aren't that exciting this year and did I mention the heat and there's no shade on the trail.

It would be fun for kids or adults, I put myself in a spot to not enjoy it as much.

That actually sounds kinda fun. If you're just going to tour around Disney Springs anyway, you might as well get a button out of it! And along the way, you might discover something new you've never seen before.

Ooh- I'll have to check it out! I have Kohl's cash that kicks in later this week!:thumbsup2

Gina- your villa is amazing!:thumbsup2 We thought our 1BR villa was very nice, but tiny in comparison to a 2BR.

Loving those socks you bought!! Where are those from? I'm looking to buy my DS's and DS's fiancee some unique socks for Christmas. :)

Can't wait to hear about Gatorland!

Those socks are from Kohls :goodvibes. They are on sale 3/$10.....and there's an extra 20% off this weekend, so its a great time to stock up! One of every print :p.

Oh it lost my reply :(
Basically I was saying how I love the extra space you get at SVR. Although this vacation we are staying 1 week at Disney we then move to Windsor Hills for the rest of our stay so we can spread out. As you know our daughter is joining us for the last week so she'll have her own bedroom and bathroom. Not sure if I mentioned it, but our niece who moved to Saratoga Springs recently is also flying down to join us for a few days too :thumbsup2 so we'll have a week by ourselves, 4 nights with our family (2 youngsters in tow) and the last week with our daughter :goodvibes
Looking forward to your next update Gina.

Wow, you are going to have EVERYONE together for Christmas! :santa: You must be so delighted!

We are definitely spoiled by all the space of a timeshare villa. It makes hotels stays feel VERY cramped!!

Ok, the pukefest is my worst nightmare come true. People throwing up is my worst fear so I have nightmares about being stuck on a plane where someone vomits and I can't go anywhere to escape from it. I'm appalled that the family didn't even apologize (to you or the flight crew). After a start like that, at least the trip has nowhere to go but up!

Your villa looks great - so much space! Gatorland is always a lot of fun, I love its kitschy feel and it's a nice laid back change from the big parks.

There is just something hard to take about vomit, isn't there? Bodily fluids of any kind are pretty awful, but puke is in a special category of awful :crazy2:.

Gatorland always keeps us giggling.....we just love their signs. Apparently we share their silly sense of humor :laughing:.

Gina and Patty - The socks were in the juniors (young ladies) section at Kohl’s! Hope you find them. :yay:

I love Kohls!! My favorite US store!!

Glad to see you've kicked off your trip report!

I have to say, the puke fest made me giggle! I cannot even imagine the smell. Oh lord!! I bet you were grateful to be on the ground!

Yes, I couldn't get off that darn plane fast enough :rolleyes1. Pretty sure everyone sitting within smelling area was equally as relieved to breathe some fresh air! :teeth:

Canadian friends I need some suggestions please. I think I need to make a day trip to Vancouver for Timmy's, Boston Pizza and Lauderee macarons along with some potential xmas shopping. I know I have to go downtown for Lauderee which is fine, I think it's on/near Robson st which at least gives me some window shopping.

I only need to shop for my mom and the dogs and the only thing I can think of is a new washable gym bag since she's mentioned looking for one. Xmas decor is also good. Then I'll find something we can go do for another gift, a play or something.

I normally hit up the same mall in Surrey but I think it's time to try somewhere new and closer to dt. Any suggestions? Or stores near you that are good that are also in the Van area?

I'm good going up to Richmond and over to Langely, though I prefer to avoid the bridge toll. Maybe I should finally check out the stores on the Van side of the bridge by hard rock.

I have a nexxus card and know more than one way over the border and can generally get around fairly well with my old fashion paper map or gps really I just want to eat up there but figure I need to add the shopping so people don't think I'm totally nuts :banana:

I don't think you're nuts at all. I'd drive across the border just for fresh butter tarts! :cutie:

@bankr63 , is there any place you HAVEN'T been?

Posting on the Canadian board is a great idea :thumbsup2. The west coast locals would be able to give out loads of good shopping and dining advice.

I had forgotten about Granville, I haven't been there since HS. I'll have to look it up to see what's there and if I can park in one spot and use the lightrail to get around.

I'm not necessarily looking for Van specific places to go but chain stores I don't know about. Chapters, walmart, sears and the bay along with roots are the only one's I'm aware of.

I was going to suggest Roots, but you already have that planned.

Make sure you enjoy some poutine! Also....Hawkins Cheezies, butter tarts (yes, they deserve a second mention), Nanaimo Bars, Gravol (better than dramamine in our humble opinion).

Hi Gina I am so glad I am catching up on your report. Your report is getting me excited for my trip in June.:yay:. I am sorry about that puke fest. You held it together great! I am not surprised that the parents didn't acknowledge anything. I am glad that you and Steve made it through. Nice to see that you got to share the flight with some friends.

I love the pics of Vistana and can't wait for more. I did reserve a 2 BR at Vistana but I didn't put any requests for location. I will contact them and see if I can note something now then follow up a few weeks before we leave.

I am writing down all the restaurants that you put up on your report. I needed some ideas for off site around there. Thanks so much!

Looking forward to more of your report.
I hear you, we will be arriving at Vistana and doing Discovery Cove, Sea World and Aquatica in June for my daughter's graduation gift.:cool1: This will be our first time there:D

Glad to have you following along! :goodvibes This is definitely the trip report for you......I'll be covering all of your June activities before we wrap this up. Hopefully it will be helpful in your planing :thumbsup2. Please feel free to ask any questions along the way!

Saturday, October 27th: Gatorland

Because we are early risers by nature, we were up much sooner than we would have liked to have been :rolleyes1. Sleeping in is difficult on vacation when we don't get much practice in doing so throughout regular day-to-day life. So, not surprisingly, we had plenty of time to have a good breakfast before heading to Gatorland. We opted to dine that morning at Cracker Barrel: a restaurant that we enjoy but one that we don't have convenient to our home in Michigan. Pretty much the only time we end up eating there is if we are heading to or from Toledo for any reason. Then, it's generally dinner, and not breakfast.

46335639_10157173039036416_814697722014597120_n.jpg

Most likely because it was a weekend, we had to wait a few minutes for a table. The restaurant was super busy but the staff were working efficiently to get guests seated once a table became available. We browsed around the store for maybe 5 to 10 minutes before our name was called.....not super long. By the time we were done eating and on our way OUT of the restaurant, there was a literal swarm of folks who were waiting to be seated....so maybe being somewhat earlybirds was actually a GOOD thing ::yes::.

46168494_10157173038861416_7532948410379272192_n.jpg

It took us a while to decide what wanted to eat. Their breakfast menu is pretty diverse and there were a lot of choices that sounded really good. Steve ended up selecting the pork chops meal, and chose eggs and hash Brown casserole as his 2 sides. His meal also came with fresh biscuits, enough for us both to share. He also requested a side of country gravy......I'm not a fan, but he LOVES it.

46247605_10157173038686416_8571013693398056960_n.jpg

I had chosen French toast.

46271283_10157173038966416_6248042517816672256_n.jpg

That entree also came with eggs and breakfast meat, which I chose scrambled and bacon. Portion sizes in both cases were definitely ample.

46280384_10157173038921416_4785580392314830848_n.jpg

We both opted for coffee to drink.

I have to say, my French toast fell a bit......short :(. It was not that it wasn't edible, but it was surprisingly bland. I guess I assumed that they would use cinnamon in the egg mixture (that's generally how I thought French toast was ALWAYS cooked :confused:) but there was no flavoring at all :confused3. The syrup that they provied was also strangely lacking in taste. My eggs, on the other hand were done perfectly, as was the bacon (crisp...exactly how I like it). That French toast, though, was unremarkable ... and had me wishing I had ordered the pancakes. As far as Steve's meal went, he very much enjoyed his pork chops and accompaniments so my entree was the only item to let us down. He did mention that *I* would not have liked the hash brown casserole: apparently he could taste the sour cream in it (ew, gross). He, on the other hand, quite likes sour cream.....so it was a win in his books.

46252125_10157173038646416_8621911396612833280_n.jpg

Service was great, and the atmosphere is always comfortable and welcoming at Cracker Barrel, so while it wasn't the best breakfast I had ever had it wasn't a total bust, either. I would just definitely choose a different menu item next time.

We covered the bill, browsed around the gift shop for a little bit longer, then headed off to our destination for the day: it was time to get "Gatored".

44961414_10157135888086416_1696738851898261504_n.jpg

Saturday, October 27th: Gatorland Day, continued

We hadn't been to Gatorland in almost 8 years: our last visit was in December 2012, and while we enjoyed it immensely on that Christmas trip (where we split the day between Gatorland and an air boat ride for a full "Gator Day"), for some reason we had never made it back for a repeat. We were both excited to see how the park had changed (or not changed) over such a lengthy span of time, and also how a different season (autumn versus winter) would affect the overall experience.

45010839_10157135887991416_2929768527436972032_n.jpg

Being a Saturday, and the fact that the weather was simply spectacular.....warm but not hot, no humidity, and sunshine with errant clouds.....we kind of figured the park would be busy with locals as well as tourists. We didn't expect thick crowds, per se.....not like you'd find at the major theme parks, anyway....but we definitely didn't think we'd have the attraction to ourselves, either. We were pretty much spot on with that crowd prediction, too ::yes::.

We stopped for the obligatory photo in front of the iconic gator mouth at the entrance to the park. This was attempt number 7? 8? because some folks apparently have a problem waiting their turn :rolleyes2 and kept walking behind us. Seriously, people!! :sad2:

44936688_10157135888136416_990202884731699200_n.jpg

We had pre-purchased our admission at a tidy discount through Tickets At Work, a program offered to all employees at Steve's firm. By purchasing them online through TAW, we saved about $8 per person versus gate prices, and of course parking was free. They had a bit of an issue figuring out how to put those specific pre-purchased tickets into their system, but the gate agent was quick to call in someone to assist so our wait was minimal. We opted to add on an in park experience, "Adventure Hour", while we were at the front gates so we paid for that and received instructions on where and when to meet. She handed us our receipt, wished us a great day in the park, and we were on our way for our gator fun!

44943433_10157135888181416_122967975996162048_n.jpg

There are alligators big and small literally everywhere you look once you are inside those main gates: you need not worry about having to search for them. And on this sunshiny warm morning (which followed cool nighttime temperatures), they were eager to stretch out and soak up all the sun those scaly bodies could absorb :sunny:.

44974725_10157135888236416_8561216709787123712_n.jpg

I absolutely love their signs :laughing:. Be sure to take a moment to read some of them, like the one above. Their silly sense of humor still always has a ring of truth about it.

For the first little while, we just strolled around and marveled at all those little faces (and, in some cases, massive jaws) that were regarding us as intently as we were regarding them.

44996412_10157135888316416_4305451405658816512_n.jpg

Near the entrance, the gators were grouped by age: these little darlings were some of the young'uns at between 2 and 4 years old. I suppose they'd seem "big" if you ran across them in a natural area outside of the Gatorland gates, but here....after passing the MASSIVE gators in the water just a few yards away.....they seemed like cute and cuddly babies :cutie:. I wouldn't want to test that theory, though :rolleyes1. Pretty sure their teeth would still pack a nasty punch!

44933290_10157135888501416_160505874199085056_n.jpg

After checking out some of the gators near the front of the park, we decided to head toward the breeding marsh. On the way, we passed the train station: park guests have the option of adding on unlimited train rides to their admission for a small fee ($2.50 per person, if I remember correctly).

44940600_10157135888601416_7826579317063680000_n.jpg

44948646_10157135888666416_4582556755656966144_n.jpg

We had rode the train on our first visit 8 years prior, and while it would definitely appeal to those with young children, we didn't feel the need or desire to ride it a second time. We did, however, get a smile from the sign posted at the railway crossing:

44954742_10157135888551416_812611501780107264_n.jpg

#truth !! :rotfl2:

Much more Gatorland yet to come!

44982024_10157135897801416_5924148644499423232_n.jpg

Shame about the French toast but the rest looks lovely. You can see from the picture there is no cinnamon. Love the last picture of Steve. In all honesty when you said it was 8 years ago you last visited I thought really...... have I been reading Gina's reports for that long! It doesn't really seem that long ago :goodvibes

I used to love the Cracker Barrel, but it seems like their quality has diminished over the past few years. I do still love their Cornbread, though. I am enjoying the Gatorland write up. We have quite a few alligators where I live, so I don't know if I would pay money to see them!:laughing:

Hi Gina thanks and I will ask any questions I need too. I was thinking that this trip report will be exactly what I need to help plan. I am interested in Gator Land also, I have heard good things about it. I won't make it there this trip but will put it in the idea basket.

While I agree that Gatorland's train isn't a must do, I do hope you tried the new swamp buggy ride. It's silly but a lot of fun!

Shame about the French toast but the rest looks lovely. You can see from the picture there is no cinnamon. Love the last picture of Steve. In all honesty when you said it was 8 years ago you last visited I thought really...... have I been reading Gina's reports for that long! It doesn't really seem that long ago :goodvibes
That is so funny. Our family always has savoury French toast with butter and salt and pepper and spices. Cinnamon, yuck.

I love Kohls!! My favorite US store!!

Yep- love Kohl's!! :love: I have some Kohl's cash to spend this weekend!!

Love the Gatorland pictures! We've never been there! We're not gator fans(they are terrifying!!:scared1:), but I think we'd enjoy a visit nonetheless. Seems like a fun place!:thumbsup2

Gatorland looks like it would be right up my kids alley. I would imagine it's a half day park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter