(Sea)Lions & Gators & Dolphins….Oh, My! A Halloween PTR/TR with a “wild” theme - Oct/Nov '18

Yep- I had no plans to have EIGHT kitties- sometimes they find you and they make the decision for you!:cat:

:cool1:So excited!!

Steve is so sweet! Our pet sitter comes once a day and they charge $25 plus an extra $5 because we have over 5 pets. It is money well spent! Our kitties are well taken care of and that means the world to us!:cat:

Sorry I got so behind here- we've been in Orlando since 9/27 and return home 10/6. Trying to catch up on the DIS as I can! It's been beautiful and VERY hot!:sunny:

How was your day at Discovery Cove?? If memory serves me correctly, your itinerary had you spending the day there yesterday. How was the dolphin swim?

Yes pet sitters are worth their weight in gold!! We must have a cheaper cost of living (in fact I know we do). Love ours and she likes our chickens which is a bonus for us- can be hard to find someone who is ok with 3 demanding ladies squawking for their treats and following you around, and jumping into lap if you sit down lol.

I include our MF in our first trip owe use it too. Since we own independent of a larger group we have to use II to trade it- bonus is the AC’s for extra weeks. And yep- much cheaper than a nightly rental for the space. We’ve been completely spoiled with our TS travels...

You do a fabulous job with your budget.

Would love to get to Orlando for Christmas and do sea world

I can't imagine there are many pet sitters who get to look after chickens as part of their job!! I bet she very much looks forward to coming to look after your feathered friends!

Oh, if I weren't working for a retail establishment now, I'd be searching for flights and making Christmas happen ::yes::. Alas, if I stay where I'm currently working, I doubt there will be many more holiday trips in our future.....I'm glad we went as a family for those magical years when we could :goodvibes. I'll be living vicariously through you this Christmas instead! :santa:

Regarding pet care, yes it's total peace of mind when you know they're being well cared for! We had an awful experience while we were gone last summer with a pet resort. Never again. We have a gal who is majoring in vet medicine who loves our two dorky fur babies as much as we do!

She sounds like an IDEAL person to be looking after your pets!

We have a pet resort very close to our home here in MI, but they don't take cats. Probably a good thing, as cats don't often do well outside of their own trusted environment. At least, with in-home care, we can rest assured that they are comfy and enjoy all the comforts they know and love while we're away.

Yay! Opening night of hockey! (I know people here will understand more than other places I post, even fb).

A big yay for hockey season from us, too! :banana: And our Maple Leafs kicked off their season with a win last night :woohoo: (barely, but hey! A win is a win :laughing:).

We have tickets to watch the Leafs play the Red Wings next week at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Super excited....it's been several years since I've been to an NHL game, and this will be our first time visiting the fancy new arena here in the D. And the cherry on the sundae is that Jake will be here to enjoy it all, too! I have my jersey washed and ready!

toronto_maple_leafs_cat_fan_by_codetski101-d9b7h5d.jpg

So glad to see another trip report, Gina! I love reading your detailed plans and appreciate that you share your budget. Your reports help me pass the time until our next trip. And your great pics and experience at SW have made us consider APs there. We'll be keeping an eye on their Black Friday sale.

And I'm super grateful to have you reading along again :goodvibes.

Have you heard the big news about the changes to annual passes at SeaWorld? Today they officially announced a whole new restructuring of their passes....I will be interested to see how that impacts the Black Friday sale.

https://seaworld.com/orlando/annual...M3hAsBjK8_ZAoxPcO4AMzJ5ypD1T7twYaAnS6EALw_wcB

The pricing listed is only valid until November 30th, then it's supposed to increase. I am now wondering if we should upgrade on this trip (apparently they will allow you to apply the unused balance of current active passes to the new passes) or hold off until our current passes expire :scratchin. I may have to do some math tomorrow!

Nope - we also don't count in our monthly morgage payments either

I'm such a stickler for numbers :blush:. You can tell I worked in the financial industry for a couple of decades!!

I'm wondering about a Black Friday sale too for passes. Saw the new pricing today and am wondering what the free animal experience is. I think we're going to buy passes and activate them at some point next year ( I also didn't see it say they had to be activated by a certain date) depending on what the animal encounter is will decide which pass to get.

I think we're also going to get the Universal Annual pass. Hard to pass up 6 months free!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to exchange my current pass for the new version (as mine doesn't expire until June)

Yikes. I’m not sure anyone will sign up for the introductory AP offer at those prices (starting at $119.88/month)!

(I’m sure it was just a typo)

Attachments

• B27A1665-F0AD-4970-B493-DD6AE2F33434.jpeg
    B27A1665-F0AD-4970-B493-DD6AE2F33434.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 12
I'm sure I'll spot one of you at Trail's End, or maybe even around the SVR! We'll be the tired/stressed party of 3!Kidding, I hope we look relaxed and happy, but it's hard to tell with our (not so) little one. :cutie: In either case we'll look like almost half the people there.

I love seeing your budget, we might have to find an actual pet sitter this time for our cat. In the past my dad has dropped in, or my BIL. But both are busy people! I've got three weeks to figure that out. :rolleyes1

I can't believe how close it's getting!

Thanks for the heads up and link to the new AP pricing for Sea World. In the past we haven't purchased because the passes had an "activate by" date and we weren't going to be in the parks before then. I'll be watching the new pricing very closely. Our WDW APs expire in August, so we're looking to take a yearlong break and try something else. We may get US/IOA passes again, especially with their new offer. Decisions, decisions.

We have tickets to watch the Leafs play the Red Wings next week at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Super excited....it's been several years since I've been to an NHL game, and this will be our first time visiting the fancy new arena here in the D. And the cherry on the sundae is that Jake will be here to enjoy it all, too! I have my jersey washed and ready!
Sounds really fun!! Especially as your son will be with you! My oldest baby turns 21 today.

I think we're also going to get the Universal Annual pass. Hard to pass up 6 months free!
Ugh why is it only for Florida Residents? :sad:

Gina, we arrived at the Vistana today. All requests were honoured. Fountains top floor near pool building 31. We love it. Gorgeous condo and love the pool and hot tubs. Quick question if you see this in the next few days. Have you ever had the pizza from Taxky Tiki? If yes was it ok?

I'm wondering about a Black Friday sale too for passes. Saw the new pricing today and am wondering what the free animal experience is. I think we're going to buy passes and activate them at some point next year ( I also didn't see it say they had to be activated by a certain date) depending on what the animal encounter is will decide which pass to get.

The fine print says that the free animal experience is the Dolphin Encounter. I was hoping you might get to choose your experience, but nope. I suppose that would be an administrative nightmare for SeaWorld (and EVERYONE would pick the killer whale tour, seeing as its most expensive by a good margin).

I honestly had no idea about the Universal AP offer until you posted....thank you for sharing that here!! Now we're quite torn on what to do.

Because we would be paying hat whether or not we used it - ya know?

I think most folks think like you.....I'm the rare bird! When I see people listing their Disney budgets, almost none of the DVC owners factor in their DVC purchase price or maintenance fees when calculating the price of their trip(s).

Perhaps I just like to make myself feel more guilty? LOL

I'm still trying to decide if I want to exchange my current pass for the new version (as mine doesn't expire until June)

I tried calling SeaWorld yesterday to see if they would help me do the math on what an upgrade would cost us later this month, but they would only direct me to visit Guest Services at the park :headache:. Quite unhelpful. It would be logical to me to say that I'd be given about half the original purchase price (considering we'll be almost exactly at the 6 month point) for each pass against the price of a new pass. But then there's the issue of my existing photokey......would I be given credit for the unused months on that as well? :confused3 Especially since we'd be gaining an annual photokey through the new gold pass.....I definitely don't need two.

I may email and see if they can give me better answers.

Yikes. I’m not sure anyone will sign up for the introductory AP offer at those prices (starting at $119.88/month)!

(I’m sure it was just a typo)

Yikes, that's a nasty error!! :eek: Those are Disney prices!! ;) :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm sure I'll spot one of you at Trail's End, or maybe even around the SVR! We'll be the tired/stressed party of 3!Kidding, I hope we look relaxed and happy, but it's hard to tell with our (not so) little one. :cutie: In either case we'll look like almost half the people there.

I love seeing your budget, we might have to find an actual pet sitter this time for our cat. In the past my dad has dropped in, or my BIL. But both are busy people! I've got three weeks to figure that out. :rolleyes1

I can't believe how close it's getting!

Yes, Steve (in particular) is always easy to find in a crowd. It's hard to miss a 300 pound, 6'3" bald guy with a goatee :laughing:.

I hope you are able to find a good care option for your cat....it's always a relief to scratch that off the pre-departure to-do list. And I hope it comes at an affordable cost. The discussion on this thread about animal care has been fascinating to me.......super interesting to see the different rates that everyone pays regionally. I definitely think Michigan sounds like we're the most expensive so far!

Thanks for the heads up and link to the new AP pricing for Sea World. In the past we haven't purchased because the passes had an "activate by" date and we weren't going to be in the parks before then. I'll be watching the new pricing very closely. Our WDW APs expire in August, so we're looking to take a yearlong break and try something else. We may get US/IOA passes again, especially with their new offer. Decisions, decisions.

We are having the same concerns about the new Universal AP offer. Passes must be purchased and activated by April 4th. Purchasing is no problem.....activating by that date is a bit of a concern. Either we have to move our spring vacation up substantially, or we would have to see if they would activate the passes on purchase and hold them for pick up later that month. I'm not sure if they will do that :confused:.

Wow! Morgan Rielly has really been letting his hair grow out...

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Sounds really fun!! Especially as your son will be with you! My oldest baby turns 21 today.

Ugh why is it only for Florida Residents? :sad:

Happy birthday to your DD! Hard to believe they grow up so quickly, isn't it?

I thought the same as you.....the Universal offer was only for Florida residents (the Orlando Sentinel article that I read first sure made it seem that way). But from what I've been able to learn since, it appears it's open to all. Yay Universal! :woohoo:

It's not! It's on the main page of Universal Orlando and doesn't say only for Florida residents. :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Gina, we arrived at the Vistana today. All requests were honoured. Fountains top floor near pool building 31. We love it. Gorgeous condo and love the pool and hot tubs. Quick question if you see this in the next few days. Have you ever had the pizza from Taxky Tiki? If yes was it ok?

So glad you are having a great start to your visit!! And SOOOO glad you love the resort! :goodvibes

While we have eaten at the Tacky Tiki a few times now, believe it or not.....we've never had their pizza!! (I guess because Cici's is right across the street, and both Giordano's and Flippers are in the Crossroads....those tend to be our go-to pizza joints when staying at SVR). Their other offerings have been solid (nothing truly outstanding, but nothing awful either) though their service is often painfully slow. I will be looking forward to your review of their pizza if you happen to give it a try.

Enjoy your stay!!

:upsidedow

Thank you soooo much! :) Those links are exactly what I was looking for. I sent them along to my friend, as well as a Tim Tracker YouTube on SW Christmas. I like Tim Tracker’s vlogs as well, but your reviews/reports have the extras like the Santa dinner and ICE which the vloggers don’t always cover. Hmmmmm.....you should consider that as a side job. I bet you and Steve would be great vloggers showing all the fun details and “off the beaten path” fun things to do! You might have to add a trip or two a year to your schedule to cover more vlogging territory, but that wouldn’t be so bad. :thumbsup2

I had to search for her December 2016 trip which included Christmas at Sea World. Another option would be to YouTube the events they offer. Many of the vloggers hit all the various holiday happenings around Orlando. (Tim Tracker, Midway Mania, etc)

Thank you! I sent my friend a Tim Tracker video as well. Great idea! :flower:

thanks for posting what the animal encounter is. I could not find it anywhere! That will help with the decision. Might go down a tier.

I tried calling SeaWorld yesterday to see if they would help me do the math on what an upgrade would cost us later this month, but they would only direct me to visit Guest Services at the park :headache:. Quite unhelpful. It would be logical to me to say that I'd be given about half the original purchase price (considering we'll be almost exactly at the 6 month point) for each pass against the price of a new pass. But then there's the issue of my existing photokey......would I be given credit for the unused months on that as well? :confused3 Especially since we'd be gaining an annual photokey through the new gold pass.....I definitely don't need two.

I may email and see if they can give me better answers.

My current pass expires end of June. After speaking to Guest Services, I am leaning towards just waiting until it expires (as it would be around $190 to switch to the new pass, and it would only give me an extra 4 months). Of course...the downside could be having the pass go up quite a bit. But I may have to take that chance.

Hey Gina, I have a question for you. I *finally* went ahead and booked Discovery Cove (yay!!) for Wed. Do you happen to know how much the photos go for? I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for pictures.

And I'm still working on going on Halloween too. I was waitlisted, so I have to decide if I want to book and chance getting off (or being able to give away)

:upsidedow

Thank you soooo much! :) Those links are exactly what I was looking for. I sent them along to my friend, as well as a Tim Tracker YouTube on SW Christmas. I like Tim Tracker’s vlogs as well, but your reviews/reports have the extras like the Santa dinner and ICE which the vloggers don’t always cover. Hmmmmm.....you should consider that as a side job. I bet you and Steve would be great vloggers showing all the fun details and “off the beaten path” fun things to do! You might have to add a trip or two a year to your schedule to cover more vlogging territory, but that wouldn’t be so bad. :thumbsup2

I am so glad the reports are helpful :goodvibes.

As for being a vlogger.....I'll respectfully pass ;). I am far too self conscious about the way I look and sound to survive in the vlogging world....but you are so sweet to suggest it. If I was young and cute (or even young OR cute :scratchin ) ... absolutely! :p

thanks for posting what the animal encounter is. I could not find it anywhere! That will help with the decision. Might go down a tier.

Happy to help. There is a dedicated Facebook group for SeaWorld Annual Passholders that has been a great source for information on the new pass structure. I like the Gold level for the annual photokey (that's worth $170 all on its own) but most families will likely be able to get away with one Gold pass (for the photokey, preferred parking, and 15% food, tour and merchandise discount versus 10%) and Silver passes for the rest of their family members.

My current pass expires end of June. After speaking to Guest Services, I am leaning towards just waiting until it expires (as it would be around $190 to switch to the new pass, and it would only give me an extra 4 months). Of course...the downside could be having the pass go up quite a bit. But I may have to take that chance.

We've been talking about it a lot this weekend....both the new SW pass structure and the current Universal deal. I think we've decided to do nothing right now as well......not with our SW passes, nor with the 18-month Universal offer. We just don't know what direction we want to take with next year's trips....and I hate to commit big $$$ and regret it later.

Hey Gina, I have a question for you. I *finally* went ahead and booked Discovery Cove (yay!!) for Wed. Do you happen to know how much the photos go for? I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for pictures.

And I'm still working on going on Halloween too. I was waitlisted, so I have to decide if I want to book and chance getting off (or being able to give away)

I am so excited for you!!!

I actually do have a list of the current Discovery Cove photo prices. I emailed them last month for that information, and here is what they replied with:

THE DISCOVERY PACKAGE (dolphin interaction)(a $650 total value) $229 + tax

8- 6 x 8 prints (may be different or same images)

1 - All-image PhotoKey

1 – All image photo CD

1 - Interaction DVD**

1 - Photo Album

A photo frame (chosen at the counter)

You can add a second Discovery Package for $109.

THE ADVENTURE PACKAGE (a $380 total value) $169+ tax

6-6x8 prints (may be different or same images)

1 - All-image Photo Key

1 – All image photo CD

**add your dolphin interaction DVD for an additional $50+ tax

THE ISLAND PACKAGE (a $140 total value) $99 +tax

4- 6x8 prints (may be different or same images)

Additional Items With Package

6 x 8 Print $10

16 x 24 Poster $20

24 x 36 Poster $25

Interaction DVD** $50

Interaction Blu-Ray $50

Addition Frame (after initial purchase) $15

After DVD purchase, additional copies are only $20 each. DVD’s can be added on to the Island and Adventure Package for $50.

*DVD video footage is only available for up to 30 days after your visit date.

**Prices are subject to change

If you are participating in the SeaVenture activity, please note that we do not provide a photographer or videographer in the Grand Reef during this dive. You can use your own camera or we can loan you a digital underwater camera to snap as many photos as you’d like. At the end of the dive, these photos will be uploaded to our Adventure Photo computers for you to view and purchase, if you wish. The SeaVenture PhotoKey is a great value at only $60 plus tax and is a separate purchase from the dolphin interaction. Additional copies of your SeaVenture photos are only $20.

The Shark Swim, Ray Feeding, SeaVenture and Animal Trek PhotoKey’ s are all available individually at $60 plus tax. Alternatively, up to all four activities can be combined on one PhotoKey for $80 plus tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter