Sea Safe - Lotion or Spray?

kathi

DIS Veteran
I've read that sea lice are a problem during the warmer months at Castaway Cay. I'm looking to pick up some Sea Safe but wanted to hear some thoughts on lotion vs. spray.

Also - are stings a problem in the Caribbean in the summer or is this just a Bahamas issue? We usually sail in the winter and are headed on the 11-night southern in July. Want to be prepared with enough product for the entire cruise, if needed.

Thanks!
Kathi

I've read that sea lice are a problem during the warmer months at Castaway Cay. I'm looking to pick up some Sea Safe but wanted to hear some thoughts on lotion vs. spray.

Also - are stings a problem in the Caribbean in the summer or is this just a Bahamas issue? We usually sail in the winter and are headed on the 11-night southern in July. Want to be prepared with enough product for the entire cruise, if needed.

Thanks!
Kathi
We did a southern cruise in July. Didn't have any issue with sea lice. At any port.

Normally, I'm not too much of a worrier about stuff like this. But I do want to share my experience in August at Castaway Cay. My two teen-aged sons, who are big swimmers and campers in all sorts of environments and don't generally complain about things like that, both said to me that they had some painful sensations while swimming at Castaway Cay. (Not enough to get out of the water, though). Now, I was swimming right next to them most of the time and I didn't feel anything. Weird right? But its enough for me to think that maybe trying the SeaSafe stuff would be helpful. The lifeguards there had some spray, though they seemed a bit dubious about its effectiveness.

The spray version includes sunscreen. You may want to google sunscreen spray effectiveness and learn about the concerns with spray sunscreens.

SW

Castaway cay has sea live for sure by the kids play area in the water. My son was stung (with the lotion seasafe). We went to the hut they rent out the tubes, snorkels, etc and they had a vinegar water mix they sprayed on him for relief.
Just be warned, the life guards told us that they live under the slide there. Try to avoid if possible, as it can ruin a day.

We bought the SeaSafe lotion and used it once. We've actually never had issues with sea lice in any of our ports, including Castway Cay (8 Bahamas/Caribbean cruises).

I bought it for my family just for Castaway Cay when they were warning people about the sea lice near the slides and kids play structures etc at the Family beach. We never used it anywhere else.

At the time, it was only offered in lotion. The lotion is very thick so I believe it made it more effective but took a while to put on. Although I think the spray would be easier to use, I would make sure that it's just as effective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!