Sea sickness patch shortage, not avail until next year?

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
I was talking to my pharmacist earlier today about using the patch for my next cruise, Jan. 2019. He told me that they have been out of them for awhile now, that they are on back order and they may not even have them by Jan. 2019. Has anyone else had trouble getting the patch recently? I don't know if this is a nation wide problem, or just something going on where we live. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone was planning on getting them soon, if so you may want to check and make sure they are available.

Turns out I can't use them anyway since I recently found out I have glaucoma. So looks like I'll be sticking to bonine, ginger candy, motioneze, and seabands. And praying for calm seas!!

Yes they were out of stock almost everywhere we tried in April even the warehouses. Somehow we got lucky and found some at target.

I have a prescription for the patch and was able to fill it at my local Walgreen's just a couple of weeks ago. When I found out it was going to cost me $50.00, I decided to stick with Dramamine that has worked well for me in the past.

We bought ours through Target/CVS. But the story they gave was that the generic (scopolamine) is no longer available/isn't available until next year, and that only the Brand name Transderm Scop was available now (which is very pricey even through many prescription plans)

Last edited:

I use the "Less Drowsy Dramamine" - Regular Dramamine doesn't bother me (neither does the less drowsy), but the less drowsy formula is for 24 hours per dose and the regular is ever 4 hours (I think). With the 24 hour dose you can take it before going to bed - if it impacts you. Or even take one tablet at night and the other in the morning to "spread" the dose out.

If I KNOW that I am going to have a rough time - ie: snorkeling or anything on a small boat (smaller than the Magic!!) I will take the full dose before bed and a half of a dose in the morning.

BTW - I take Dramamine EVERY day when visiting WDW or DL!! The rides actually impact me more than sailing on the ship.

RE: the Patch Shortage - are the "kids" still doing zombie walks? The transderm Scopolamine was used by the "zombies" to become zombie like - as in using way high dosages. Looks like there is something way more dangerous for them to use now.... #Sad

Yup - dramamine, ginger, bands - none of it works for DH - only the patch. Generic is out of stock everywhere - not making them anymore. Pharmacists said the same to us. We ended up finding the name brand and purchasing at full price - even with insurance, very expensive. We have no choice, if he wants to go on livelier theme park rides, snorkel, etc :(

RE: the Patch Shortage - are the "kids" still doing zombie walks? The transderm Scopolamine was used by the "zombies" to become zombie like - as in using way high dosages. Looks like there is something way more dangerous for them to use now.... #Sad

OMG, I hadn't heard of that, so scary what kids come up. I have a 10 yr old, I really pray that she listens to us and to not do things like that just because "everyone else" is doing it.

This happened a few years ago too. I still have mine from my sept Irma cruise. I generally will not use it unless I know the water will be rough. The side effects are bad for me. Other than blurry vision, I actually lose my voice. And it makes me terribly fatigued. I stick with Bonine. I have vertigo and motion sickness, but on the ship I seem to be fine so far. 17 cruises now. I do carry prescription meclazine at all times. Vertigo can hit at a moments notice.

I was talking to my pharmacist earlier today about using the patch for my next cruise, Jan. 2019. He told me that they have been out of them for awhile now, that they are on back order and they may not even have them by Jan. 2019. Has anyone else had trouble getting the patch recently? I don't know if this is a nation wide problem, or just something going on where we live. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone was planning on getting them soon, if so you may want to check and make sure they are available.

Turns out I can't use them anyway since I recently found out I have glaucoma. So looks like I'll be sticking to bonine, ginger candy, motioneze, and seabands. And praying for calm seas!!
There's a shortage of the generic patch manufactured by Perrigo.

The branded TransScop patch (GlaxoSmithKline) is still available, but it costs more.

I go with bonine. I tried it way before the cruise to see if I experienced any side effects and so I could try something else in case it made me sleepy or didn't agree with me. I had no problems and I start taking one the day before the cruise so it is in my system, then one a day as a preventative. I have never had any seasickness even with rough seas.

I'm sorry to hear about the shortage for those that geuinally need them. Both my children are VERY prone to motion sickness of all sorts but the generic Bonine works wonders in the car, airplane, and cruise.

Bonine has worked great for me in the past. I take it at night right before bed starting the night before s a great alternative to the patch for me!

I need the patch to cruise as I'm very sensitive and get sick easily. I had difficulty getting the patch for our cruise in June and again this fall for our cruise next week. I just plan ahead so that my pharmacy has time to order it.

Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover either the generic or brand name so I have to pay full price. Worth it for not to be sick on my vacation.

We needed some in August for a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. It was so hard to find. We had to get a couple patches at one pharmacy and the rest at another pharmacy. Calling around sure helped save a lot of time. Check the website GoodRX. We got some coupons on there that helped us save some money. It still wasn’t cheap but the coupon helped.

Yikes. I hadn't heard about this. I used an entire box of them (sadly nothing left over for our short cruise next Fall) this August on our longer cruise - Bonine does nothing for me and I can't cruise without them. I didn't have any problem getting my Rx filled... I guess I was really lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!