Sea World tips, tricks, and hidden things...

scrapperkimmydee

Mouseketeer
I've read all kinds of fun stuff about Disneyland and all the secret stuff and fun little tidbits. Also, there have been all kinds of tips about how to "plan" the day, and little extras to make it more fun.

I haven't seen a thread like this for Sea World.

Does anyone have any tidbits to share?

As a life long San Diegan and Sea World AP holder, I don't think that there is any secret stuff or little tidbits for Sea World San Diego. It has changed so much over the years since I was kid and continues to do so today (we are getting two new coasters soon). Get there early to take advantage of the cooler temperatures and more lively animals in the exterior habitats. Check the daily schedule to see when some of the animals are going to be fed; that is fun to watch. Consider purchasing an interactive experience (before they monetized these, if you were in the right place at the right time, you could be invited into the "backstage" area of an exhibit to see an animal up close...we did this with the otters once and it was awesome).

If there is one recommendation that I could give you it is to be wary of the food. For some reason the quality of the food overall is less than satisfying in my opinion. The best food is offered at the up-charged dine with Shamu experience. If you are willing to pay for it, then I recommend it highly, otherwise the rest of the park food is meh. When the Seven Seas Food & Wine Festival is going on (like right now), they offer some really great food and drink options, but for the most part it really is mediocre at best. I have said many times to friends and family while in the park that the wonderful smells from their many open grills is heavenly, but very misleading...while the smoky vapors lure you in, the quality of the food finally given to you is less than satisfying. If you get there early and want to head out of the park for dinner that evening, I very highly recommend hitting the nearby Phil's BBQ. It is a San Diego gem!

A few times a year they have a special program called Inside Look. It's usually during slow times to increase visitors. They do a special presentation at each of the larger exhibits with the trainers. I think the last one was in either Jan or Feb and it was focused on playtime. So a few trainers would come to the meeting area, usually in front of the enclosure and talk about what they do to encourage playful behavior, why it's good for the animals, etc. Then they would do some fun demonstrations. They had Killer Whales, otters, dolphins, penguins, and sea turtles last time, I might have missed one two. They were each scheduled a few times a day and you just showed up, no tickets or reservations or anything.
For the penguins it was inside Penguin Encounter and they had two trainers out with the people and 2 in with the penguins. For the Killer Whales it was at the enclosure where they do the dine with Shamu so you were a lot closer than at the stadium. They had 4 whales in there and then a beaver friend of theirs was outside the tank walking along the glass right in front of us so they could check each other out. At the end they wanted to see how far they could get the whales to push a wall of water, it went all the way over the top of the covered viewing area like a tsunami, I was drenched. :)
I didn't make it to the dolphins or sea turtles. For the otters, after the talk at the tank and the feeding/chasing/rolling/frolicking we got to go 'backstage' in small groups to where they live when they are not on display and see them.

Anyway, long-winded but if you want to avoid the crowded times of year, it pays to go when they are in need of visitors. The remaining ones for this year are Weekends, June 1-9, Sept. 7-15

https://seaworld.com/san-diego/events/inside-look/

Greg, bringing my big kid to Cali he’s 17 this August and am debating getting an annual pass for myself using the free pass for him and using the pass again in Dec at Busch gardens inFLA.
Do you happen to know when the 50% off coupons work? When the bring a friend for free days are ? Whether these perks are eligible for other parks as well?
If I can only use 50% off at SanDiego I’d save the free pass for Busch gardens etc etc
Just trying to save where I can
Thanks

As a life long San Diegan and Sea World AP holder, I don't think that there is any secret stuff or little tidbits for Sea World San Diego. It has changed so much over the years since I was kid and continues to do so today (we are getting two new coasters soon). Get there early to take advantage of the cooler temperatures and more lively animals in the exterior habitats. Check the daily schedule to see when some of the animals are going to be fed; that is fun to watch. Consider purchasing an interactive experience (before they monetized these, if you were in the right place at the right time, you could be invited into the "backstage" area of an exhibit to see an animal up close...we did this with the otters once and it was awesome).

If there is one recommendation that I could give you it is to be wary of the food. For some reason the quality of the food overall is less than satisfying in my opinion. The best food is offered at the up-charged dine with Shamu experience. If you are willing to pay for it, then I recommend it highly, otherwise the rest of the park food is meh. When the Seven Seas Food & Wine Festival is going on (like right now), they offer some really great food and drink options, but for the most part it really is mediocre at best. I have said many times to friends and family while in the park that the wonderful smells from their many open grills is heavenly, but very misleading...while the smoky vapors lure you in, the quality of the food finally given to you is less than satisfying. If you get there early and want to head out of the park for dinner that evening, I very highly recommend hitting the nearby Phil's BBQ. It is a San Diego gem!

Greg, bringing my big kid to Cali he’s 17 this August and am debating getting an annual pass for myself using the free pass for him and using the pass again in Dec at Busch gardens inFLA.
Do you happen to know when the 50% off coupons work? When the bring a friend for free days are ? Whether these perks are eligible for other parks as well?
If I can only use 50% off at SanDiego I’d save the free pass for Busch gardens etc etc
Just trying to save where I can
Thanks

Hi Tammy - I wish that I could answer your questions for certain, but I am afraid that I don't know and wouldn't want to guess and possibly give you bad information. I assume that you are referring to the Platinum Pass. Looking at the fine print on their website for APs, here is what it says:

Annual Pass includes two (2) Free Tickets for Friends on select* event dates in 2020; 1 Free Ticket (to be used anytime during the life of the pass). These guest ticket are available to active, valid Pass Members only and will be loaded into Pass Member Accounts prior to offer start date. Guest Ticket is valid for 1 visit and can only be redeemed with the accompanying Pass Member present.

*2 Friend-for-Free Ticket offers will be available during specific 2020 event dates only and will be loaded into active, valid Pass Member accounts at that time. Blockout dates may apply. Offer subject to change and/or cancellation without notice.

I believe on a quarterly basis we receive an events calendar from SeaWorld San Diego that details these "select event dates". If there is a "friend for free" time period, then it is clearly identified and highlighted. If memory serves, the free tickets are accessed via our account on the SeaWorld website; we need to login, select the option, and I believe specify the name of the person we are bringing in. It has been a while since we used one, so it may have changed since then. It appears that we already tossed our most recent calendar, but I hope to receive our summer 2019 one soon.

As to whether or not the free ticket(s) can be used at any of the family parks, I have no clue. I don't see that specifically detailed in the fine print. I recommend that you contact SeaWorld directly to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter