Seasoned knitters, I need help

jipsy

My plan of Carrie is working perfectly...<font col
I have crocheted and cross-stitched for years. I decided I wanted to learn how to knit.

I found instructions for knitting a basic square. The instructions say to cast on 28 stitches, using a #8 needle which should be about 7 inches.

After trying three times, the longest I got was 4 inches. I must be casting on too tight, but I thought knitting was supposed to be tight?

Also, after I cast on, the next row is to be knit. I can't seem to get the hang of throwing the stitch back on the right needle.

Help! Any good websites with pictures/instructions that you know of would be fabulous.

Jipsy, I have knit for many years but would have trouble describing it in writing. One thing, when you cast on, it is smaller than when you knit a few rows. If you can knit, then measure, you might come closer to 7 inches. Are you casting on with one or two needles? It is easier with just a twist and slip on on one needle but better with the two needle method. I learned from my mom so really don't have a website. I will look at a book I hve. Maybe I could send you the title and you could check the library. If you want more info E-mail or PM me. I am not getting to the boards often and this thread may be buried by the time I get back.

Carol I'm using two needles but I can see how it would be easier to twist and slip with one.

Maybe the instructions I have are wrong; or maybe I didn't read them right, but I am pretty sure it said 7 inches from casting on, not from the first row of knitting, but I can check again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter