Seattle getting an NHL team?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/...n-light-after-ownership-group-makes-its-case/

The reporting is that the NHL is likely to approve an expansion team in Seattle.

Sounds like the city council has approved a $700 "renovation" of Key Arena. However, it sounds more like a complete teardown. Part of the deal seems to be that they're hoping for an NBA team to relocate (they tried with the Kings, which was voted down by NBA ownership) or to get an expansion team. In either case the goal would be to name/rename the team the Supersonics.

It would be awesome for them to get both.
As a Canucks fan, I am really hoping that Seattle gets the NHL team, will be a great rivalry and help our travel schedule

Just a correction - that should be $700 million for the "renovation".

I think that'd be amazing, and I'm sure the city would embrace them. Seahawks fans are the loudest in the NFL!!

We are glad some private investors are paying the entire $700m and the city taxpayers aren't getting fleeced by billionaires.

This has been in the works for some time, even before Vegas was officially getting one. I expect them to exist in the 2020-21 season. It was first rumored that it was a relocation, but the NHL is tired of dealing with that. So Winnipeg might be the last one for a while, unless it gets really, really that bad in Carolina or Arizona.

I'm just sad that Quebec never was able to afford a team when Vegas was happening. Would have been awesome to see the Nordiques back in the NHL.

Meh. I'm an NHL fan, but I don't know expansion is what they need right now. There are plenty of arenas that really struggle to put butts in seats. The Golden Nights were a great phenomenon last year, but only time will tell if the novelty will wear off...plus Vegas is a bit of a unique town. Personally, I think they need to look at what they have now and determine if they have teams in the right spots, and be as confident as realistically possible that a team in a new city will be sustainable long term. Look at the Atlanta Thrashers as a recent example.

I'm just sad that Quebec never was able to afford a team when Vegas was happening. Would have been awesome to see the Nordiques back in the NHL.

Vegas paid a $500 million expansion fee, Seattle is paying $650 million. Quebec City will never have a team.

Vegas paid a $500 million expansion fee, Seattle is paying $650 million. Quebec City will never have a team.

Wouldn't a relocation fee be much less? I read somewhere when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg (and assumed the old Jets name) it was only a $60 million relocation fee. Not sure if was USD or CAD though.

Wouldn't a relocation fee be much less? I read somewhere when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg (and assumed the old Jets name) it was only a $60 million relocation fee. Not sure if was USD or CAD though.

Probably would be but Bettman seems to be against Quebec City and the owners as a whole don't seem very open to relocating teams.

At this rate, no. To make matters worse, too many other cities want an NHL franchise.

Probably would be but Bettman seems to be against Quebec City and the owners as a whole don't seem very open to relocating teams.

If times get tough enough in Glendale, then rest assured they will move that team. I hear Houston wants a team now in the worst way.

I think Seattle getting a team is pretty cool. Good market, true Pacific Northwest Rivalry for the Canucks

If times get tough enough in Glendale, then rest assured they will move that team. I hear Houston wants a team now in the worst way.

If it's a relocation, then I suppose the team ownership decides where to move or who to sell to. And whenever the full ownership votes on approving relocation or an expansion team, they have to be looking at their own economic interests. As far as I can tell, Quebec City has a strong history, but a pretty small population.

Meh. I'm an NHL fan, but I don't know expansion is what they need right now. There are plenty of arenas that really struggle to put butts in seats. The Golden Nights were a great phenomenon last year, but only time will tell if the novelty will wear off...plus Vegas is a bit of a unique town. Personally, I think they need to look at what they have now and determine if they have teams in the right spots, and be as confident as realistically possible that a team in a new city will be sustainable long term. Look at the Atlanta Thrashers as a recent example.

Our company already purchased club level seats. The city sold 10,000 season tickets for a Seattle team in 12 minutes. I’m not a hockey fan, but there are clearly a lot of people here that are!

As far as I can tell, Quebec City has a strong history, but a pretty small population.

Little over half a million in the city proper but still probably a bigger actual fan base than places like Tampa, Miami or Phoenix.

Little over half a million in the city proper but still probably a bigger actual fan base than places like Tampa, Miami or Phoenix.

Plus only a couple of hours out of Montreal so easy for people to travel, and while farther, not too far from either Toronto or Ottawa. On the otherhand maybe that means Québécois can travel themselves...

Plus only a couple of hours out of Montreal so easy for people to travel, and while farther, not too far from either Toronto or Ottawa. On the otherhand maybe that means Québécois can travel themselves...

Pretty big rivalries there, I don't think fans from there those places would become fans and travel to a lot of games. The drive from Montreal is close to 3 hours, another 6.5 to Ottawa and 7.5 to Toronto.

Pretty big rivalries there, I don't think fans from there those places would become fans and travel to a lot of games. The drive from Montreal is close to 3 hours, another 6.5 to Ottawa and 7.5 to Toronto.

Yeah but if you get cheap enough on swoop or westjet then it makes for an easy quick weekend away.
Montreal to Quebec is pretty similar to Seattle to Van that we are all thinking fans will travel

I went to the Flyers at Vegas game Thursday night. By the end of the second period, with the Flyers up 5-1, it seems the novelty was starting to wear off. Many Vegas fans made an early exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter