SeaWorld attendence down by half a million visitors the last quarter

One thing many people here seem to be forgetting is this is half a million visitors spread amongst all of their parks, Sea Worlds, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and Sesame place a total of 12 parks. Without having per park data or even regional data it's impossible to 100% set blame for the decline. Diagon Alley probably played a part, but if anyone read the press release they mentioned they delayed opening of Falcon Fury (although not by name) at Busch Gardens Tampa as contributing to the decline. Continued backlash from Black Fish definitely isn't helping anything. In the grand scheme of things, at least according to the numbers I was able to dig up. Sea World Orlando has been small but fairly stable in the Orlando market. Looking at all of the data I was able to find on the Orlando Theme Parks in Graphical form.

The only big decline in Sea World Orlando's attendance started in 2010 and coincides with the opening of WWOHP-Hogsmead. Everything else has been up a little, down a little.

I have been to SeaWorld once in the last 30 years. I go to Universal and Disney annually (this year twice). For me SeaWorld is just not that interesting of a park.

We're just the opposite. SeaWorld is our favorite of all the World Class Orlando parks and the one with the activities we are most interested in repeating. lol

We go to SeaWorld and one of the four Disney parks (We mix it up a bit) once each year (usually just two days per year in an Orlando park on a mini trip). Universal interestingly for us traditionally has been our least favorite -- one day visit in 1989 when it opened, one US/IOA visit in 2008. And now with the new HP and Diagon Alley stuff, we instead of doing a two day mini trip in Orlando are doing three days mid December after DS's finals and before Christmas crowds: one day SeaWorld, one day IOA/Universal, and one day at one of the Disney parks (this year it's back to the Magic Kingdom).

I would think that Diagon Alley and Blackfish are both factors, but not even the only factors. There is certainly a lot of competition in the Orlando market. // Everyone is trying to keep visitors at their parks for as many days as possible, and more onsite rooms getting filled up at both Disney and Universal doesn't help SeaWorld either. Multiday pricing policies too encourage multiple days at parks for the budget minded vacationer (most people) - A two day park to park ticket at Universal is the same price as a one day and a third day not much more than that. (We wouldn't want to spend a second day. But many people would and think three days is the ideal number for a visit. Just visit the Universal forums here and find tons of people doing those three day Universal visits. That's a big change I think.). At Disney four days is the same price as three. And days after three and up to ten are attractively priced. Now for me, one day a year at one of the Disney park is perfect, but that's certainly an expensive cost per visit way to do it. // SeaWorld partnering with different hotels -- offering SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Busch, and Aquatica packages, etc. has gotten some people to do SeaWorld only trips too. // Orlando competition, though, just looks fierce to me.

Other things in the area that are worth a day too are a day at the beach and a day at the Kennedy Space Center (so much improved than what it used to be and even they are trying to get that second day from visitors with attractive second day pricing and add ons/extras that you couldn't do and fit everything in, in just one day). There is just so much to choose from and do with the typical week vacation. I'm also seeing people I know at least doing shorter trips (especially younger people). They want to take a vacation, but just don't have the disposable income to do a full week.

Does anyone know how Gatorland is doing these days? That's the 1/2 day park that hasn't been on our radar as much recently.

For us personally free cruise offers, Mexico feeling safer in the tourist areas (Puerto Vallarta even hiring more police not that they need it, but to have visitors feel safe and their big Malacon expansion), improvements at National Parks (shuttle systems that help with traffic congestion at poplar times), the new Highline park in New York City and new musicals opening there, etc. are Orlando's biggest competition, and is why we just do two or three days in Orlando annually. (Picking and choosing how to spend that frivolous / fun limited vacation time and limited vacation budget). // Orlando does win for me for the most repeat visits! And SeaWorld wins for us for the Orlando park with the most repeat visits from our family!

I agree with Kathy. In my opinion SeaWorld is the best park in central Florida. I live here and I go to SeaWorld every Saturday at least and I have never got bored with it. I find Disney to be the same thing over and over again. You ride a ride once and then it’s the same thing all the other times you go back. Whereas at SeaWorld the shows are always different even if it’s the same storyline behaviors change, animals react differently, trainers do different things. Every show is like a new show. Over at Disney you find you spending over half your day in lines. While at SeaWorld since the shows fit thousands of people in you rarely have to deal with long lines and its wonderful.

Seeing the animals up close, talking with trainers, feeding the animals, the interactions etc. That's all super special moments I have had so many wonderful times there.

I find SeaWorld to be a tremendous value. Especially when it comes to special events. They are always included in your admission while Disney loves to charge lots for them.

And all this blackfish stuff is absurd and false. It was a very misleading film and a lot of stuff has been proven incorrect with several trainers in the film already speaking out against it and the lies in the movie.

We're just the opposite. SeaWorld is our favorite of all the World Class Orlando parks and the one with the activities we are most interested in repeating.

I agree with Kathy. In my opinion SeaWorld is the best park in central Florida. I live here and I go to SeaWorld every Saturday at least and I have never got bored with it. I find Disney to be the same thing over and over again. You ride a ride once and then it’s the same thing all the other times you go back. Whereas at SeaWorld the shows are always different even if it’s the same storyline behaviors change, animals react differently, trainers do different things. Every show is like a new show. Over at Disney you find you spending over half your day in lines. While at SeaWorld since the shows fit thousands of people in you rarely have to deal with long lines and its wonderful.

Seeing the animals up close, talking with trainers, feeding the animals, the interactions etc. That's all super special moments I have had so many wonderful times there.

I find SeaWorld to be a tremendous value. Especially when it comes to special events. They are always included in your admission while Disney loves to charge lots for them.

And all this blackfish stuff is absurd and false. It was a very misleading film and a lot of stuff has been proven incorrect with several trainers in the film already speaking out against it and the lies in the movie.

^^This^^

(thanks, 919Florida and kathy884 ... you saved me a whole lotta typing :thumbsup2)

We love Seaworld. We love Universal. But Disney?.....we have a very "been there, done that" feeling about all 4 of their theme parks with no plans to return anytime soon.

SeaWorld is just so easy ... affordable Quick Queue (or free QQ with an onsite hotel stay), an affordable and unlimited dining plan (open to all), a relaxed pace, and something to suit every member of the family regardless of their age or stage of life.

I was once going to go to Sea World. Blackfish and getting educated about the issues of whales in captivity totally changed my mind.

So, let's not act like that isn't a thing. Sure, many people could care less about a documentary or have never even heard of it. But don't discount that it's impact has clearly affected many people's decisions on whether to support Sea World anymore by visiting it.

I used to love Seaworld but after learning more about whales and their captivity I have no desire to visit the park again. There is something so not right about a whale jumping through hoops for applause. I saw the movie Blackfish and The cove and after seeing both I did a lot of research on whales and dolphins in captivity. It is a real eye-opener.

I used to love Seaworld but after learning more about whales and their captivity I have no desire to visit the park again. There is something so not right about a whale jumping through hoops for applause. I saw the movie Blackfish and The cove and after seeing both I did a lot of research on whales and dolphins in captivity. It is a real eye-opener.

Sure hope you don't embrace Disney then. Those poor dolphins at the Seas Pavilion who never get to breathe natural outside air or see the sunshine, manatees in the little tank there. Oh and what about the animals at Animal Kingdom. Or is it because there was no movie based on the park you assume everything is fine there?

blackfish was riddled with lies and trainers who were in it have spoken out about the lies in it as well.

Sure hope you don't embrace Disney then. Those poor dolphins at the Seas Pavilion who never get to breathe natural outside air or see the sunshine, manatees in the little tank there. Oh and what about the animals at Animal Kingdom. Or is it because there was no movie based on the park you assume everything is fine there?

blackfish was riddled with lies and trainers who were in it have spoken out about the lies in it as well.

i love disney and was upset to see those dolphins in epcot - disney should be ashamed. do the dolphins ever get a chance to experience the fresh air? do they even know what the sky looks like?

i was just reading online and it says that a few of SeaWorlds sponsors have pulled out: southwest, hydundai cars and panama jack are no longer sponsoring them.

I actually don't embrace Disney.Have not been to Epcot or Animal Kingdom in many years. I am not saying any place is perfect. I don't like animals in captivity and it saddens me to see them made to perform for tricks and our amusement.

Blackfish may or may not be all true but a lot of facts are there. And I have done my research and whales belong with their family unit and are highly intelligent and need to be stimulated. They are getting none of that in captivity. Don't assume I have just watched a movie and decided all this.

:cheer2: Thank you! You said exactly what I was going to say. We live in Brevard County where SeaWorld does a TON of rescue and conservation work. We appreciate them tremendously out here for all they do for our wildlife. Our family always has APs to Sea World and we go often (just there last night for Santa's Fireside Feast). The kids go to at least 2 weeks of camp there every summer too.

The reduction in visitors is due to so many other competing Orlando attractions IMHO. I'd even go so far as to say that people might to to Legoland for a day on the day when they previously might have gone to Sea World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter