Second All in One Disneyland TR Thread - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review 5/30-6/2

Another lovely night. Although.....I am surprised that you don't have any pictures of your time with Fran and Alison.....and what about dinner???? How else am I going to lick the screen for the French Market food???:rotfl:

Love the night time shots. Sorry that F! will be disappearing for at least a year. It really is a great show by the RoA.
Loving what you're capturing.

We will have to get shots one day when I am with them. We ate at the French Market that night where I got the French Dip, Fran got the French Dip, Haunted Mansion Cake, & the last one I don't know so you will have to ask Alison about that.

Thanks PiO. It sucks that F! will be down for over a year but with work on the RoA, it make sense.

I got the Jambalaya!

Now I forgot all the things I wanted to comment on! Your pictures were great and I enjoyed seeing your take on the Christmas parade and other such things. I never would have noticed the lack of garlands on Main street due to the parade if you hadn't mentioned it. The tree pictures were very cool and I'm glad we all got to do the Seasons of the Force adventures!

I got the Jambalaya!

Now I forgot all the things I wanted to comment on! Your pictures were great and I enjoyed seeing your take on the Christmas parade and other such things. I never would have noticed the lack of garlands on Main street due to the parade if you hadn't mentioned it. The tree pictures were very cool and I'm glad we all got to do the Seasons of the Force adventures!

Thank you Alison. So much things to see during the holiday season at the DLR. This year was tone down with the Diamond Celebration going on which doesn't feel like the holiday season during the regular years.

is the french dip as good as it looks?

The french dip is good.

Hi Bret, I've missed your updates. Have you moved to a different trip thread?

TK

I'm just so busy lately with work that I have time to be on the boards.

This has been a while for me on my Disneyland trip report which I am so busy with basketball and work. I’m still behind on my WDW TR which was back in October and didn’t post any pics or talked about my experience during the Candlelight Processional back last year in December. So it will be some time until I finish the rest of my WDW TR.

It has been tough these past few months with everything and I will get to write my latest trip report to the DLR this past weekend. You say another trip back to the DLR last month which I haven’t announced. To tell you the truth, this trip was set a few days before we left on Saturday the 27th to the 28th. Why would I go down there for one night instead of my usual two nights which the 7 hour trip to SoCal doesn’t seem like it would be worth it. I wasn’t originally planning on going until I talked to DAW about the possible trips coming up including the one that I made during the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival returning next month in April. The trip will be the first weekend of April on the 1st to 3rd which I might be crazy to book since it is during the first weekend of the F&W Festival and during Spring Break. But I wasn’t worried about that and wanted to go.

This trip was with DAW who also wanted to get away from work which she was working hard at her school. So she wanted to get away for a few days and what other better place to go is with me at the DLR. This trip was during the last weekend of the AP Days at the Disneyland Resort which was for the whole month of February which gives DL AP holders things to see like special screenings of classic cartoons, free water & popcorn. They also handed out special buttons for the four theme weeks. The week that we wen was during “A World of Tomorrows” the last week of February.

We left on Saturday morning and got to Anaheim around 1pm. The first thing we didn’t before we head on over to our hotel which was Best Western Park Place Inn, we had lunch at Mimi’s Café on Harbor Blvd.

After lunch, we head to the hotel and dropped of the car. We couldn’t get in yet since our room was not ready so we just left our stuff in the car and head on over to the DLR. It was only for about less than half an hour since we wanted to get in DL to get our wristbands for the screening at the Opera House for “ A World of Tomorrows” week.

There was a queue to get the wristbands and we didn’t mind waiting or me. While DAW was in her ECV, she couldn’t get in the queue so I waited in the queue.

We got there a little late that afternoon around 2:30pm that afternoon but we were able to get wristbands of the screening that night. We got the 8pm screening which was an hour and a half for each screening starting at 5pm. That was not bad when the registration opened at noon.

After we got the wristbands, we head on back to BWPPI to get in to our room. We rested up for most of the time and we had dinner at Tony Roma’s which was a few buildings down from our hotel.

After dinner, we head on back to DL that night to see the 8pm screening at the Opera House which is Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln building. We got there around 7:30pm which was 30 minutes until the screening.

When we got there, we were give the free buttons for the theme week of “A World of Tomorrows” and they were also giving away the other three theme weeks “Main Street to Mickey Mouse”, “Live the Adventure” and Fantasy & Fun” buttons which was great to get. We also got free water and popcorn for the screening that night.

We were let in and it was exciting to see a classic screening at the Opera House. I have participated in special AP screenings in the Opera House in the past since I have become an AP back in 2009. The screening that night was a Walt Disney classic show called “The Plausible Impossible”. It was nice to see a classic show at the Opera House that night. DAW had a fun time as well.

After the screening, she went back to BWPPI while I stayed for a little bit that night in order to get some nighttime shots.

At Fowler’s Harbor near the HM, a new binnacle compass was right next to Fowler’s Inn.

I didn’t stay that late until 10pm which I drove for most of the way to SoCal that day. So I head on back and called it for that night.

The next day, we got up early to head to the park when it opened at 8am. We were only going to be at the DLR for about less than 7 hours that day since we have to leave SoCal around 3pm.

The first thing we did was get FP’s for Radiator Springs Racers which DAW must do ride when we are at the DLR. I was able to get FP’s for RSR around 10am to 11am which worked really well for the two of us.

Next to the RSR FP’s exit was the exclusive sneak peek of Zootopia. I wanted to see the clip but we had some other things to do that morning so we skipped seeing the preview.

We head on over to DL that morning since our FP’s were not ready. Some of the Valentine’s Day decoration at Main Street Town Square which the heart shapes.

During the trip, I was planning on taking pictures of the flowers for my challenge during this short trip.

Flowers at Main Street Hub

After taking some pics from MS Hub, we head on over towards Adventureland and went to ride Pirates of the Caribbean. This is another of DAW favorite rides to go on at DL. I didn’t take any pictures during the ride experience.

Since we were in New Orleans Square after riding Pirates of the Caribbean, I wanted to go on over to the New Orleans Square Station to see the Disneyland Railroad Trains up close. The only time I have ever got so close to the trains was during the “Disney’s The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour” at Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom. I have been a fan of trains when I was little and along with the DLRR, the Disneyland Monorail is my favorite ride where I got to ride it.

The Ernest S. Marsh Engine #4 was at the NOS station along with some cars from Holiday 2 set with the Caboose. It was so odd to see the trains not moving during the Star Wars Land construction. But it was a good opportunity to look at the steam engines up close and also go on the other side of the NOS station which you can never do when the trains are in operation.

The handcar was also on display right next to the Ernest S. Marsh.

Some banners on the other side of the Frontierland Depot talking about the telegraph code.

The History of Steam Trains

It was neat to walk across to the other side of the station to see the Frontierland Depot

I won’t get too many opportunities to look at the trains from the other side at NOS station or Frontierland Depot and it was nice to see it from this side.

It was neat to see the original E.P. Ripley Engine #2 boiler on display.

A look back on the other side of the NOS station which is off limits.

A look at the old Frontierland depot

The Ernest S. Marsh is very nice to look up closely without taking a picture when it approach the station.

Inside the Ernest S. Marsh

I was able to go inside the Caboose which shockingly, I never got to go inside or even ride in it of all the years I have been going to DL.

After we looked around at the Ernest S. Marsh at the NOS station, DAW ECV started to go a little slower. I asked her if she charged her ECV last night and she didn’t so we have a problem. We talked to a CM around the area to see where we can charge her ECV and they told us that around Jolly Holiday Bakery Café which had an outlet around that area. So we walked on over to the JHB to get her ECV charged. She decided to stay there and I just walked around DL to get some pics.

I went on over to Frontierland to get pictures of the construction area of where Star Wars Land will be and it was hard to get over the walls so I just took some pics in that area.

I just walked around DL just getting exercise and taking some pics until I head on over to the JHB to meet up with DAW who is charging her ECV. When we moved, it still had problems so we decided to head on over to Wheelchair/ECV rental area outside of the parks. The CM’s let us charge her ECV that morning which was good and we didn’t have to bring it back to the car since it would take time out of it.

After we dropped off her ECV at the Wheelchair/Rental area, we head on back to DCA to get to the Blue Sky Cellar which is part of the AP Days at the Disneyland Resort. This is one of the two spots at DCA for the AP Days at the DLR. It was nice to go inside Blue Sky Cellar after being closed these last couple of years. There was a long line to get in since it opened at 10am that morning and this was the last day of the AP Days.

When we got inside the BSC, we were given the buttons for the theme week of this week along with other buttons from the previous weeks. We also got two recipe cards for the Monte Cristo and the Corn Chowder which was nice. We could have spent more time in the BSC, but DAW didn’t want to spend that much time since the BSC hasn’t changed much since the last theme was concept artwork of the Fantasyland Faire.

After looking around at the BSC, we head on over to Cars Land to ride RSR since we have FP’s to use that morning to afternoon. I didn’t take any pics again while riding on RSR since I wanted to enjoy the ride experience.

After RSR, we head on back to DL. It was tough for DAW without her ECV since it was low on power so we had to take our time since she had trouble walking around without it. The next thing we did was at the Main Street Railroad Station to see the next steam engine up close.

At the MS station, there were displays showing of Walt’s passion for Railroads

One of them talked about all the Disneyland Locomotives.

The Fred Gurley was out on Main Street for display.

The Lilly Belle was out there as well along with one car from Holiday 5.

We weren’t allowed to go inside the Lilly Belle but I was able to get pictures from the windows.

After finishing up at Main Street Railroad Station, we head on back towards New Orleans Square to have lunch. I was able to get a ressie for the Blue Bayou on Sunday afternoon around 11:30am which is when the restaurant is open. I was shocked to get one a few days before we made the ressie at BWPPI.

We were able to get a water front spot right next to water by PotC. It was nice to get that spot and have lunch that afternoon. The new thing that was added to BB was the menu where you can actually read it instead of seeing it in the dark. This is the lunch menu at BB.

I had the gumbo which came with the meal

I had the Le Special de Monte Cristo Sandwich

DAW had the Pan-seared Salmon

After lunch, we head on over to Main Street to get more pics of the flowers since we still have some time at the DLR until we head on back that afternoon.

Jungle Cruise is down for refurbishment.

I got to MS Hub and took some pics. I didn’t post all of them but here are some examples.

After walking around on Main Street getting pictures of the flowers, we head on over towards Tomorrowland to go on my favorite ride which is the Disneyland Monorail.

We rode a round trip around the Disneyland Monorail which is always fun to go above the sky to see the DLR.

After riding around on the Disneyland Monorail, we now head on out of DL and back at the Esplanade to pick up DAW ECV. It was all charged up and she was able to use it again.

Then we head on back to DCA to go to Stage 17 to see the last area for the AP Days at DCA.

AP Days at Stage 17 had a screening that afternoon which we weren’t able to see since we had to leave about an hour until we had to get back to BWPPI.

A look at the upcoming pins for Spring 2016.

After looking around at Stage 17, we head on out of the park and back to BWPPI to pick up the car and we were on our way back home to NorCal.

This was a super short trip like the one back last year in February with DAF where we were there for only one night. This was a super quickie for the both of us and glad that we came out even if it was for only one night and a 7 hour drive back to NorCal.

My next upcoming trip to DL is next month during the first weekend of April during the DCA Food & Wine Festival which is back after a 5 year absence due to the DCA construction project. I will post any more new updates of when I will be going back to the parks or plan on future trips. I am still going on the process of the WDW trip later in October since I have the airline vouchers that I got last year during my 2015 WDW trip in which I lost one day. But we will wait and see if DAF can go or not which will decide on it.

A few more of the flowers on MS during my visit.

Hi Bret,
Looks like you and you DAW had a great overnight trip to DLR. I just love all your pictures especially the nighttime ones and the flower pictures with the dew on them. Looking forward to hearing about the Food & Wine festival. I'm wondering the similarities to the Epcot one. Thanks for taking the time to post. It's hard when work gets in the way of our Disney fun. TK

My dad was a steam-train engineer so those photos brought back a ton of memories for me! You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the corn chowder recipe would you? My DH loved it when we were there, and I'd love to surprise him with it.

Hi Bret,
Looks like you and you DAW had a great overnight trip to DLR. I just love all your pictures especially the nighttime ones and the flower pictures with the dew on them. Looking forward to hearing about the Food & Wine festival. I'm wondering the similarities to the Epcot one. Thanks for taking the time to post. It's hard when work gets in the way of our Disney fun. TK

Hi TK. Nice to see you back on the threads.

We had a fun time even though it was only for one night which was short The AP Days was one of the reason we went on a short time frame. Thank you, I wanted to get some pics of the flowers during the trip along with the nighttime but I was tired from that driving. The DCA version won't be as good as Epcot but it will be fun to try the food there.

My dad was a steam-train engineer so those photos brought back a ton of memories for me! You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the corn chowder recipe would you? My DH loved it when we were there, and I'd love to surprise him with it.

That is neat that your dad was a steam-train engineer. Here is the recipe card of the corn chowder.

I didn't show a picture of the buttons and here is the buttons along with the two recipe cards for the Monte Cristo and Corn Chowder.

Hi TK. Nice to see you back on the threads.

That is neat that your dad was a steam-train engineer. Here is the recipe card of the corn chowder.

I didn't show a picture of the buttons and here is the buttons along with the two recipe cards for the Monte Cristo and Corn Chowder.

YOU are awesome! Thank you so much!!

I learned a lot about steam trains and could probably even remember enough to drive one in a pinch. I'm going back in October, so I'm going to for sure see as many engines as I can while they're still.

Great quickie trip. The pic of the Mark Twain at night could be a postcard. I'd love to see the inside of the Lilly Belle.

Catching up!

Real life has kept me busy and I haven't had time to spend on the Dis lately. Hopefully, I'll get to catch up on all the threads.

Here is a quick update from my current DLR trip report during the DCA Food & Wine Festival on the first day. I was able to do some of the food kiosks and I will post more later on during the trip or when I get back home.

Here are some pics from today during the first day at the DCA F&W Festival.

Triple Cheese Mac with Smoked Chicken
25579305773_b776f782d7_b.jpg

Artichoke Chips with Spicy Aioli
25577204154_e091de1741_b.jpg

Grilled Tenderloin Slider with Chimichurri
26089505432_53be010366_b.jpg

White Cheddar Ale Soup with Bacon in a Boudin Sourdough Mini-Boule, Coconut Tapioca Flight with Fresh Mango
26156002506_b2a0225b97_b.jpg

Zinfandel-Braised Wagyu Beef
26155999876_9f7b5aa277_b.jpg

Menu
26156001716_33d4378e4f_b.jpg

26115616251_55f0bdd965_b.jpg

26156003306_4ac48ca37f_b.jpg

26089511122_39869ec139_b.jpg

25577205724_4974b82106_b.jpg

26089511122_39869ec139_b.jpg

There is the AP center at the Blue Sky Cellar for the AP Holders which you get some free goodies.
26156009426_a6533f9687_b.jpg

26181951735_726f6af025_b.jpg

Looks like tasty little bites! What is the AP Tasting Passport? I go in two weeks to WDW to run in the Star Wars Dark Side 1/2 marathon. EPCOT is having their flower and garden festival right now which should be fun.

Thanks for the updates.
TK

Are the F&W kiosks open only on Saturdays ... or all month long? Thx!

Loving Food and Wine pictures. Keep it coming.

I'll write up my trip report later on and show more pics from the DCA F&W Festival.

Looks like tasty little bites! What is the AP Tasting Passport? I go in two weeks to WDW to run in the Star Wars Dark Side 1/2 marathon. EPCOT is having their flower and garden festival right now which should be fun.

Thanks for the updates.
TK

Hi TK,

The food at the DCA F&W Festival were good. The lanyard type AP Tasting Passport is like a food voucher where you get six vouchers to choose from the 6 different kiosks of the food (no drinks). This is good to get if you are getting expensive food from the Chilled Ahi Poke, Zinfandel-Braised Wagyu Beef, Grilled Tenderloin Slider with Chimichurri, etc. It doesn't make sense to use it for the smaller price items like the Apple Bacon Whoopie Pie, Milk Chocolate Caramel Tart, etc. which are under $4. For $45 is not a bad price for 6 vouchers including the lanyard as well. This is only available for AP holders. That is great that you will be running in the Star Wars Dark Side 1/2 marathon. Good luck on the marathon. The EPCOT Flower & Garden Festival is another fun event to go to.

Are the F&W kiosks open only on Saturdays ... or all month long? Thx!

The DCA F&W Festival kiosks and events are open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the month of April. It started last week and will end on May 1st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter