second delay when picture is taken

mickimgm

Earning My Ears
We have an HP digital camera. I forgot which one. When I take a picture there is a second delay. It is so frustrating. If there is movement I usually miss the shot. We want to buy a new digital, is this common is most cameras? Do you know of a good one that does not have that second delay?

This was common in my Nikon 995 digicam. For me, I could never capture things like sporting events unless I "guessed" where my subject would be a 1/2 second or so after pressing the shutter. Very frustrating so I feel your pain.

It would really help if we knew the model you have. What's your budget for a new digital if you can't get this problem resolved?

What I believe is happeing is that after you press the shutter, the camera is focusing, reading the amount of light, using the red-eye reduction light, etc. With many cameras, you can greatly reduce the delay by

1) Turning off red-eye reduction
2) Either turning off auto-focus/exposure, or
2b) Pre-metering/pre-focusing (usually accomplished by holding the shutter button half-way down until you are ready to shoot)

That delay is a very common thing in digital cameras. It is called many names, only some of which can be repeated on a family-oriented board, but most people call it "shutter lag".

Shutter lag is a problem with most digital cameras up to the $500 price range. Better (read: more expensive) digicams and DSLRs reduce or eliminate shutter lag, but you have to pay for it.

!@#$%^&*()_+ DELAY!

For the price you are willing to spend you are probably going to have the same problem. This is one of the reasons I just upgraded to the Nikon D50 DSLR. It is very hard to get kids to hold still long enough for the camera to focus and snap. Now I can snap photos as fast as I can push the shutter button. Of course as others have said, the better the camera, the more digits in the price. Good luck with your purchase.

The "second delay" is the camera writing to the memory card or internal memory. It is usually accompanied by a blinking kight on the back of the camera. A new camera in the range you mentioned will help but will not eliminate the problem. Make sure to take your own memory card with you (if compatble) and try a few shots before you buy a new camera.

HA!!! I have an HP digital camera too. It takes forever to turn on and the "shutter lag" is horrible. I totally miss pictures of my kids doing anything. Then, I have to wait forever to be able to take the next picture.

ndelaware said:
The "second delay" is the camera writing to the memory card or internal memory. It is usually accompanied by a blinking kight on the back of the camera. A new camera in the range you mentioned will help but will not eliminate the problem. Make sure to take your own memory card with you (if compatble) and try a few shots before you buy a new camera.

That happens AFTER you take the picture. It's not usually as big a problem as shutter lag, unless you are trying to take several shots in rapid succession, like at a sports event or a wedding. Many cameras have internal buffers that will let you take several shots quickly and hold them while the memory card catches up; again, the more expensive the camera, the more likely it is to have a large internal buffer to allow you to take your shots in rapis succession.

Mickimgm was referring to the delay between the time you press the button and the time the picture is actually taken, which is caused by the various things that Salmoneous mentioned.

I think the difference between what ndeleware mentioned vs. what WillCAD mentioned depends on your interpretation of what the OP meant by "second" delay. If it was second as in "one second of time" then it would be what WillCad mentioned, if it was second as in 2nd dealy then it would be what ndeleware mentioned...the first delay being the shutter delay and the 2nd bing the delay as it writes to the card (the delay between taking 1 pic and another pic). Make sense?

Both can make you nuts when you are trying to take a pic of a small child who doesn't cooperate by "holding that pose" or continuing to do whatever it was you wanted a pic of in the first place for long enough to turn the camera on, have it take a few seconds to start up and be ready, then delay when you press the shutter release button then delay to write to the card! This is a big reason why I decided to upgrade to a dSLR. ;)

Ratpack said:
For the price you are willing to spend you are probably going to have the same problem. This is one of the reasons I just upgraded to the Nikon D50 DSLR. It is very hard to get kids to hold still long enough for the camera to focus and snap. Now I can snap photos as fast as I can push the shutter button. Of course as others have said, the better the camera, the more digits in the price. Good luck with your purchase.

Can you tell me how your like your D50? Do you shoot in a lot of auto modes. I really need a point and shoot with the speed of a SLR and the D50 is high on my list. I'm scared the Rebel XT is too much camera for me and I don't really like the price tag. I'm also looking at the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the Sony H1 and the Kodak P series cameras.

I've posted before but what I really want is a better zoom and to eliminate shutter lag which is why I piggy backed onto this thread. And your the 1st person I've 'seen' with the D50.

RadioNate said:
I'm scared the Rebel XT is too much camera for me and I don't really like the price tag. I'm also looking at the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the Sony H1 and the Kodak P series cameras.

The D50 and Rebel are similiar in features and price. I have the D70 which is the D50's older sibling. The D50 does have full auto mode as well as various built in programs for different types of photography (ex., sports, landscape, sunsets).

To compare all these cameras, you should visit Digital Photography Review. Don't be overwhelemed by the technical jargon. The indepth reviews will show details of each camera's looks, controls, software, sample photos and a conclusion giving pros and cons.

You already have an idea of what you are looking for. These reviews should hlep you narrow it down. DSLR's are nice but can add up quickly if you decide you need more lenses, better flash, etc. :earsboy:

Have fun!

WillCAD said:
Mickimgm was referring to the delay between the time you press the button and the time the picture is actually taken, which is caused by the various things that Salmoneous mentioned.
I gave an answer to what I believed the question to be. However I have not personally spoken to the OP. Therefore, unlike you, I will not assume I am right and you are wrong.
BTW, I am on my sixth digital camera, I know all about shutter lag.

RadioNate said:
Can you tell me how your like your D50? Do you shoot in a lot of auto modes. I really need a point and shoot with the speed of a SLR and the D50 is high on my list. I'm scared the Rebel XT is too much camera for me and I don't really like the price tag. I'm also looking at the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the Sony H1 and the Kodak P series cameras.

I've posted before but what I really want is a better zoom and to eliminate shutter lag which is why I piggy backed onto this thread. And your the 1st person I've 'seen' with the D50.

I love the D50 and yes, mostly I shoot in auto modes. But mostly that is because I am still learning what all the settings are for and how to use them. I would say that the D50 would work nicely for you with what you are wanting from the camera. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I can send you some sample photos I have taken.

Scottwdw said:
The D50 and Rebel are similiar in features and price. I have the D70 which is the D50's older sibling. The D50 does have full auto mode as well as various built in programs for different types of photography (ex., sports, landscape, sunsets).

I've consistanly seen the D50 for about $300 less than the Rebel XT. I think I'm going to REALLY look at the m both today. So far it's been a bit of playing around here and there. Time to get serious.

I love the D50 and yes, mostly I shoot in auto modes. But mostly that is because I am still learning what all the settings are for and how to use them. I would say that the D50 would work nicely for you with what you are wanting from the camera. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I can send you some sample photos I have taken.

Thanks. If I have any more questions after I go to the local camera place I'll let you know!

I became very sensitive to shutter lag on our trip to Egypt in 2001. I had a Canon S10 and another member of our tour group had a Sony Magicam. The difference was so significant that I told him not to worry; that I'd forward him a CD with all our photos on it. He basically ended up carrying this huge digital camera around Egypt for nothing other than taking photos of the architecture, since it was the only thing that sit still long enough for his camera to get a shot of.

I switched from a Nikon 8800 which is a very expensive non SLR digital to a D50, the main reason was shutter lag! It drove me nuts. I love the D50 and do use automatic modes quite a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter