secret or hidden things to see?

edhmom

DIS Veteran
I have scoured the internet but can't quite find what I'm looking for. Years ago, I saw a list of "secret" things to see or do at Disneyland. For example, look in a keyhole and see Tinkerbell. Find the parking sign in Indiana Jones ride. Stuff like that. I can find disjointed lists that I can piece together, but nothing on the scale of what I remember.

Therefore, does anyone have a suggestion of where I can look?

Better yet, does anyone have fun, unusual things to see and find? We'll be there Jan 10-13; myself, DH, DD 18, DS 16 and MIL.

Thanks!

Wish I still had my list... It was GOOD!

But alas, a computer crash took care of that.

Here are a few. But I can't guarantee that they still exist.

Main Street – listen for: a piano lesson / tourist waking up / dental appointment in the alleys.

Main Street - smell of vanilla through the grates

Mad Hatter shop-The Cheshire Cat appears in the glass behind the counter.
Popcorn machines - The little men turning the wheels, still all different per carts
Frontierland Station-The telegraph "sends" Walt's dedication speech in land line code.
Matterhorn-There a cast of the Abominable Snowman's foot outside of Matterhorn.
Toontown-Try to open the door by the Electric company.
Monsters Inc-Smells of ginger in sushi in the room where you go by the sushi place.

It's pretty old and not really a secret, plus with the way FP and standby is set-up, there isn't much time, but they used to give out a decoder card to read all of the messages along the Indy Jones queue.
8ae82641-b1d0-4318-8498-2232a048d3f6_zps82510959.jpg

They also used to hand out decoder cards for Aurebesh at Launch Bay. The decoders could be used to translate the messages written on the walls around Launch Bay.
Code_zpstxrfcrw9.jpg

A few other things that randomly come to mind:
  • The Little Man of Disneyland house near the entrance to Indy Jones.
  • After you exit the Huffalump and Woozles room in the Winnie the Pooh ride, if you look up the wall behind you (you need to be in the front two rows of the car), you can see Max, Melvin, and Buff from the Country Bears.
  • Mr. Limpet is hiding in the Under the Sea room in the Little Mermaid attraction. He's on the opposite side of the track from where Flounder is "dancing" with the other fish.
  • Look for all of the mice in the wall decor around Moritmer's Market in DCA. We did a walking tour of BVS one time and the guide pointed them out and told us that the story was that these were all of Moritmer's friends.

Hidden Mickeys all around. There's definitely HMs on PP, Alice and Mr. Toad. Also on POTC and Haunted Mansion. Always fun to see/find them without the aid of a book or guide.

There is a "secret" pet cemetery at the Haunted Mansion. It's mainly secret because it's not in a place where you can see it from the general queue so you either have to ask a CM to show it to you during a slow time (yeah, I know--that doesn't happen often) or maybe see it if you use the wheelchair exit path. There is an interesting write-up about that and other associated tidbits here https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/07/pet-cemeteries.html

If you take the monorail ask to sit in the nose. I did this with my friends and the conductor CM was amazing!!

It’s first come first serve so if someone is there you may need to wait for the next train.

The test wall, right behind a water fountain by the entrance to the lockers on Main Street. It looks like a total mistake, in that there's two totally different types of bricks making up this wall. Walt had it built to determine which kind of bricks he wanted Main Street to be composed of, and they left it standing.

Has anyone here seen the elephant grave/crypt at the HM pet cemetery mentioned in the article referenced above? That’s a new one on me.

Yes, the elephant crypt is only a few years old. It is HUGE, you cannot miss it when you are back there.

-The light (currently, a Christmas tree) in the window of Walt's apartment above the Fire Station.
-The larger Disney family apartment above the Pirates of the Caribbean was at one time the Disney Gallery and is now the Dream Suite.
-The current Disney Gallery adjacent to Great Moments with Mr Lincoln was originally an actual bank operated by the Bank of America.
-The organ in the Ballroom scene of the Haunted Mansion was previously used in the film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
-At the New Orleans train station the building on the right across the tracks was used in the Civil War sequence of "Two Brothers" (Gt Moments With Mr Lincoln DL and the American Adventure Epcot) for the scene of the family receiving the casket on one of their sons.
-The popcorn carts have different characters called Roastie Toasties turning the crank.
-The Carthay Circle Restaurant has ceiling murals in the main dining room from Snow White. If you order the delicious Carthay Circle biscuits there are seven to represent the Dwarfs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter