Secret porthole rooms on Disney Wonder

chinarider

DIS Veteran
Hi, I looked at reports but wanted some more info so I figured that I would post a thread.

Looks like depending on specific room, the obstructions vary...

Please let me know you experience.. We are used to the Oceanview but on our last cruise deck 2 had a lot of ship noise...
Thinking this might be a better location but concerned about foot traffic? Outside light being on all the time ( I read that somewhere)?
And any other factors that might come into play. Just 2 adults so being need kids clubs doesnt necessarily benefit us.
Any input/thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

I have stayed in 5522 and 5020 and enjoyed both. I don't recall anything bothering us and the view was decent both times. IMO, they are a great value. :thumbsup2

I’ve sailed in an aft OV on deck 2 and the SPH on deck 5. I have a tendency to get sea sick but never had a problem on deck 5 SPH. Loved the location. The only cruise I have never slept well was when we sailed on deck 2.

Last edited:
We had room 5020 on the Magic and it was a great room and the obstruction wasn't an issue at all. I think that room and 5520 are the least obstructed on the two ships. We loved deck 5. I could have gotten an unobstructed OV on deck 2 for the same price. My daughter and her friend did a lot of movies so it was a great location for them.

Last edited:

These are my FAVORITE! And on my favorite ship. The views from the room that does not connect is least obstructed. The middle room is second-least obstructed. We never had a problem with light--I pack a binder clip to hold the curtains closed so maybe that helped, but we never noticed a problem. Never saw a human out there doing anything, although that can happen. (But that can really happen almost anywhere--last cruise I paid extra for an extended balcony, and one day there were workmen on it painting the side of the ship.)

We like the location on the ship. Seemed easy to get to anything. The elevators there are not as busy as the midship. One deck down to great seating on the 4th deck.

We did not have foot traffic issue. There is nothing past those rooms but more rooms--anyone going anywhere would be headed in the other direction. They look like they are right next to the elevator when you look at the deckplans, but you come off the elevator and have to turn into the hall before you get to your door.

Seems like the only time I felt far away from anything was when I needed to do laundry.

SPH rooms on deck 5 are right by the forward elevators, so not too far forward, and quite convenient. Obstruction varies from minimal in 5020/5520 to moderate in 5022/5522 to quite a lot in 5024/5524 (there is a cylindrical life raft right in front of the window of 5x24).
Two SPH rooms on deck 6 (6006 and 6506) are very far forward - it's very quiet area, but not a good place for anyone sensitive to vertical motion. The view in those is just a bit more obstructed than 5020/5520, but there is an advantage of being all the way out at the ship's hull, as opposed to being in a recessed area over deck 4 walkway. The cleaning platform does block the view up, but there isn't much of an "up" view to be found in deck 5 SPH rooms either.
DCL's pricing seems to put the entire Category 10A on par with 9B at this point, which makes these SPH rooms so much less desirable for anyone seeking a view - and instead, treating them as a higher deck premium.

If I can just add on to this thread....a SPH room became available on our cruise, room 5020 on the Wonder. We're currently in an OV on deck 2, room 2132 (aft). I think the SPH room would be a few hundred dollars more (do you pay the price of the upgrade from when you originally booked or what it is currently?) Is this worth it or not really?

You pay what you would have paid had you originally booked that room. I haven't cruised yet but have SPH booked and seems "worth it" to me being 3 floors up and right by kids club.

You pay what you would have paid had you originally booked that room. I haven't cruised yet but have SPH booked and seems "worth it" to me being 3 floors up and right by kids club.
Thanks! I talked it over with my travel agent and yes, it would have only been about $300 to upgrade. I was feeling pretty unsure and my DH didn't want to pay more for the same room type so I asked my TA her opinion. She suggested we just stick with our original room so we didn't have an obstructed view so we decided to do that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter