Security Lines - Harbor Blvd.

One thing my wife and I do if the lines are extra long is one of us will go in one line and the other in the next one. As someone already mentioned, the employees vary quite a bit on how quickly they do their jobs so two different lines can move at very different speeds. If one line turns out to be a lot faster than the other, the one in the slow line leaves and joins the other in the fast line.

I get less annoyed with the security wait and more annoyed at the ridiculous variance in line movement.

Yes the line speeds vary greatly. On Sunday (11/18) the line was 2/3 of the way back to Harbor. It took us 45 minutes. On Monday the line was all the way back to Harbor. Instead of waiting in that line we continued north along Harbor and turned left just before the OCTA bus stop along Harbor. You end up in the bus loading zone area. There are a couple of crosswalks to help you cross. You end up north of the main lines mixed in with far fewer people who got dropped off on the buses. We kept far to the right. Due to a construction project there are 5 to 6 security lines that are hidden that are fed from the far right lane. It took us 10 - 15 minutes to get through security even though the main line was backed up all the way to Harbor. The far right line was far faster than the no bags line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.809752,-117.915685,139a,35y,180h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The variance is super annoying. I get everyone is doing their job the best they can so there's no point in being irritated (especially no point in being rude)...however, we were there a few weeks ago and had a small bungee cord on the back of our stroller that we were tying our jackets to when they weren't being worn. Made it through security with it 2 days in a row. 3rd day, the guy confiscates our bungee cord and then proceeds to fully examine each food item in the back of the stroller, because I guess our bungee made us suspicious...with a newborn, 3 year old, 5 year old and 7 year old. Definitely there to cause trouble. haha.

I gotta admit, reading this I'm slightly worried about the security situation for our upcoming trip.
We arrive in a couple of weeks 12/12-18 (5 park days), right now staying just across the main entrance on Harbor but I'm not going to tolerate excessive lines to get in very well. It's going to just about ruin the trip if that's what we start our day with, I'll be honest. We aren't the greatest at being early. We have the best intentions of getting to parks before opening but in practice we end up walking up right at opening so I can see us being there at peak times
We go bagless but am I reading right, this may not prevent us from finding an hour wait to get through security? Worst-case scenario but still possible? How can a bagless line take so long?
What exactly are the alternatives?
Get our selves to the other end of DTD somehow? Best option for that is Uber drop off? Looking at the maps walking down there is not feasible
Change to one of the onsite hotels, which is, of course, a significant cost increase. I do put a pretty high value on reducing my annoyance levels so that is why it's on the table
Find a different hotel that is at the other end of DTD so we can more easily enter that way?
Something else I'm not thinking of?
or
Am I worrying for nothing? Will the no bag lines be manageable?
Any advice is very much appreciated

I gotta admit, reading this I'm slightly worried about the security situation for our upcoming trip.
We arrive in a couple of weeks 12/12-18 (5 park days), right now staying just across the main entrance on Harbor but I'm not going to tolerate excessive lines to get in very well. It's going to just about ruin the trip if that's what we start our day with, I'll be honest. We aren't the greatest at being early. We have the best intentions of getting to parks before opening but in practice we end up walking up right at opening so I can see us being there at peak times
We go bagless but am I reading right, this may not prevent us from finding an hour wait to get through security? Worst-case scenario but still possible? How can a bagless line take so long?
Get our selves to the other end of DTD somehow? Best option for that is Uber drop off? Looking at the maps walking down there is not feasible
Change to one of the onsite hotels, which is, of course, a significant cost increase. I do put a pretty high value on reducing my annoyance levels so that is why it's on the table
Find a different hotel that is at the other end of DTD so we can more easily enter that way?
or

I can count on one hand the times I've spent more than 15 minutes in a bag check line in the last four years. It's all in the timing which, unfortunately, is not terribly predictable. Most of the time I'm in line less than five minutes.

I do not rope drop. But the rare times I have, when it's an early one, getting there about an hour or more prior is usually a safe bet. Not always. I generally arrive around 11/12 (sometimes later because I'm a terrible person who likes sleeping in) and the lines aren't always great, but they aren't an hour long. Getting there a half hour or so before rope drop is when you tend to hit longer lines especially if opening is a little later in the morning.

There are definitely long lines. But if you're a late start like I am, you might hit the window I often do going through security. They are 100% definitely not long lines all day. It's pockets of lines because everyone decided to arrive at the same time.

The line can be bad but we have been to the park maybe 20 times this year with our APs and as others have said have rarely waited more than 15 minutes. The amount of complaining about security lines is not proportional to the actual problem.

or
I think you’re really going to need to change your attitude. You’re coming at a very busy time of year. You’re going to need to pack your patience to the parks or you’ll be miserable.

I think you’re really going to need to change your attitude. You’re coming at a very busy time of year. You’re going to need to pack your patience to the parks or you’ll be miserable.
If that's what you took from my post you didn't understand it at all. If you go back and reread my post you'll notice I only mention lines entering the parks, nothing else. Because that's the only thing I'm concerned with. Lines once we get in, crowds once we get in, no problem. That won't bother me one bit. That's why I didn't ask for advice on how to avoid them.
We hold AP to WDW. We go all the time, even the most crowded days there, like NYE. I know busy. I'm fine with busy parks. I understand busy parks. Actually LIKE being at the parks when they are slammed busy like on NYE.
In my post I'm I am talking about lines for security to enter the park period. Nothing else.
I go bagless for a reason, specifically to avoid long lines entering the park. Yet here I'm hearing there are times that folks still face an hour entering even when they have no bag? How? How can it take that long to go through security when you carry no bag? That makes no sense me. And yeah, long lines that don't make sense, that annoys me. And starting a day annoyed, it's well, annoying and a really good way to have a bad day.
Even the busiest days entering at WDW don't have long lines entering without bags. With bags, heck yeah they do. That's why I've worked hard to learn to carry what I need on my person and don't carry a bag.

I go bagless for a reason, specifically to avoid long lines entering the park. Yet here I'm hearing there are times that folks still face an hour entering even when they have no bag? How? How can it take that long to go through security when you carry no bag? That makes no sense me.

First, I am strongly suspicious of any claims of waiting an hour for any line: with or without bags. Second, we have used a bagless line one time and there was zero wait. The only wait you could get for that line is backing up for the metal detectors, which people still have to go through.

The key to avoiding the lines if that is important is getting their early (30-60 minutes before open) or wait until a bit later (couple hours after opening). But again, even during the busiest times I think people are overestimating how long they are really waiting.

I'm curious to know if anyone can share first hand experience with any back ups over Thanksgiving weekend? I checked the mattercam several times and every time it looked like things were moving just fine. Maybe they've made some improvements already?

First, I am strongly suspicious of any claims of waiting an hour for any line: with or without bags. Second, we have used a bagless line one time and there was zero wait. The only wait you could get for that line is backing up for the metal detectors, which people still have to go through.

The key to avoiding the lines if that is important is getting their early (30-60 minutes before open) or wait until a bit later (couple hours after opening). But again, even during the busiest times I think people are overestimating how long they are really waiting.
So, I share your skepticism about “estimates,” which is why I like to collect actual data.

I enter Harbor security at least once a week, at varied days/times, and usually time myself at security by snapping pictures as I walk up and again as I get through.

If the “no bag” line ever took more than 10 minutes, that’s because someone was confused and wasn’t in the right spot, or they were so backed up towards Harbor that they couldn’t physically get through TO the no-bag line through the crowd. That’s not really a thing.

In the regular lines, there can absolutely be waits of 45+ minutes. In fact, they’re not even that rare, although they are somewhat unpredictable and require some bad luck.

Having said that, even when the lines look crazy long, I’m usually through in under 30 minutes. Sometimes there is less than a 5-minute wait. Most frequently, the wait is between 10-20 minutes. 20 minutes feels VERY LONG sometimes, especially when lines around you move more quickly, so I’m not surprised people think it feels like an hour.

In fact, that is my biggest complaint about the security situation: the inconsistency of line experiences. Last week, I got in the shorter of two adjacent lines and waited over 20 minutes, while the couple next to me (who started out behind me) got through in less then 10.

Of course, I would never let a security line at Disneyland ruin my day, so I wasn’t too bothered, but I noted it.

I'll say this up front. Anything longer than 15 minutes in security is TOO long. Disney needs to fix this problem that they've had for years.

Here's my experience. When the park opens at 8am, security lines are short: 5-10 minutes. If they open at 9am, they'll be 15-20 minutes long by 8:30. If gates open at 10am, security lines will be 30 minutes+ by 9:30am. And this is NOT counting gate lines, which will be long as well with late openings. The reason for this equation is easy. There are only a few people who get up early enough for 8am opening. And I don't blame them. It's a vacation: relax. So those who would show up between 9am and 10am even if the park opens at 8am will be the same people showing up for a 10am gate opening.

So with a mid-January trip, there's a chance parks will open at 10am. Plan on hitting security at 9:15am if you want to make rope drop.

I’ve never really waited very long for security on Harbor. I tend to get to the park way before it opens and there is basically no line for security. Sometimes I leave in the middle of the day for cheaper food, etc and at that point I’ve never waited super long either (maybe by then most people have gone through security.).

The no bag line was a bit useless last week before Thanksgiving. One day the queue backed up so bad that people had trouble clearing the crosswalk across Harbor. There was not enough room on the west side of the street for all the people to go. This was on Monday 11/19 at 8:50a. There was one big mass of people and there was no way to separate the no bag line from the regular line once the queue backed up to Harbor.

Even in the rain the bagless line was no wait.

We had a half hour wait in the rain this week (one bag) but sunny days were quick and easy at various times. The rain was a real problem for security for some reason.

We went Friday, November 30th and Saturday December 1st.

On Friday, we arrived about 7:10 and walked right through security. No issues.

On Saturday, it was noticeably more crowded around the security areas. It took us about ten minutes and I believe we were there slightly later at around 7:15. I do have to say that they really checked my bag on Saturday. Used a flashlight and everything and had me remove my snacks so they could see everything. I don't mind at all and liked that they were so thorough. We scored a great spot at the gates and were in the parks at rope drop before we knew it! :goodvibes

We were there last week and the earlier you get there the better. Parks opened at 9:00 and we got there around 8-8:15 and the lines were not bad. One day we arrived about 8:45 and it took forever

Security seems so inconsistent to me. I can't really even begin to guess which days will be bad or not. Last week, the security lines themselves weren't very long (usually not much more than back to the green fence line). I was pleasantly surprised because Veterans Day weekend was so bad.

I agree that inconsistency in how thorough the check is a problem. I don't mind them being thorough, but I would like them all to either be thorough or cursory. It's frustrating when one line move at a glacial pace because that guard is checking everything and the other lines are moving along because those guards are just taking a quick look. I think one option would be to rotate the guards more often so that no one line is stuck with a very slow guard for a long period of time.

In terms of the no bag line, as I said upthread, I did have to wait about 20 minutes one time when the line itself extended about halfway to Harbor Blvd. I think the main slow down, aside from people being in the wrong line, is the metal detector. Sometimes it takes guests a while to empty their pockets, they set off the detector and have to go back through, or take a while to collect their belongings. If you get enough guests that are having issues, it can slow down the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter