Security

mummabear

DIS Veteran
So this morning it took us 40 minutes to get through the bag check and metal detectors, there was no "no bag" lines.
It was really frustrating to waste so much time and felt like the bottleneck creates a potentially dangerous situation.

Yes, I don't know why they can't have a 'no bag' line like Universal - surely it wouldn't be that hard.
What time was park opening and what time were you coming thru security?

I saw horrendous security line photos on social media today. Monitoring the app - the wait times didn't seem to correspond with the crowds those photos implied. I was wondering if something had gone wrong like improper staffing or something.

There have been "no bag" lines in the past, but guests have been unable to follow the rules. One person would not have a bag, but would try to bring in friends and family who did have bags. Or there would be arguments over what constituted a "bag." Do all the bags in my stroller count as "bags"? What about my tiny purse? What if I don't have a bag, but my husband/child/parent/best friend/etc. all have bags? Why can't they all join me in the "no bag" line? So the "no bag" lines were removed and have not been re-installed since.

Universal Studios have something like 20 security queues open at peak times in the morning. Disney has 3 on the Harbour blvd side. Hence the ridiculous waits.

So this morning it took us 40 minutes to get through the bag check and metal detectors, there was no "no bag" lines.
It was really frustrating to waste so much time and felt like the bottleneck creates a potentially dangerous situation.

I am curious about what you mean by "potentially dangerous situation"?

The area outside security is unscreened. Anyone could walk up with a weapon and have a large group of people in front of them to attack.
Well, unless someone knew that a huge crowd was going to try and enter at a specific time to create a backlog, they'd be wasting their time. It would be more likely people getting angry and tempers flaring.

I've seen "No Bags" lines as recently as Labor Day weekend. (Hotel side, but security was actually saying "No bags or strollers".) One issue with trying to start a "No Bag" lane with a crowd like this is you would need to shut down 1 lane to make it a no bags, and that would make it even worse for everyone with bags. Also, so few parties actually enter without a bag. A person or 2 may have no bags, but usually 1-2 in every group has a bag. And even if you don't have a bag, you still have to go thru the metal detector. (I travel without a bag myself, but usually all the other females in my party have bags.)

Security is there for the safety of the employees and the guests. In this day and age, it is something that you need to expect and plan for. If you get there early enough, it's a short wait. If you get there like 30 minutes to an hour before park opens, you will need to expect a long wait especially if you go during the holidays. If you think your recent trip was bad, I would not suggest you go during the holidays or plan to be there 2 hours before park opens. You also need to keep in mind that the Harbor Blvd entrance is the main entrance so you should expect lines when tens of thousands of people are all trying to go to one place.

Please just play your part and have your bags ready as this will help everybody move through the checks quicker.

...and no I don't work for Dis.

What?! I thought Disney fixed that problem by adding more security screening tables/options. Bottling people up pre-security IS a dangerous situation- admittedly plenty of places don't seem to care (airports!!). Rant done. Now, practically:
-Were all tables open? Did it seem like there were less? (i.e. Is Disney being cheap?)
-Was security taking extra long to go through bags? (i.e. Was an elevated level of security enacted?)
-Harbor side? (i.e. For those who can pick to chose where to enter from)

That's nothing new, it was happening when we were there earlier this year and last year. There always seems to be a crunch at random times, but especially right before park opening. We've waited about 40 minutes before, where the lines were half way back the walkway where the buses line up. Frustrating, yes. But a necessity with the world we live in today, unfortunately. I almost wish they had everyone go through the metal detectors... :scratchin

We were there last week and overall security was not bad but there were a couple times where the lines were really long. But I understand why and appreciate it when in the parks. I do wish there was a no bag line like WDW has- it does make things go quicker I believe.

Security is there for the safety of the employees and the guests. In this day and age, it is something that you need to expect and plan for. If you get there early enough, it's a short wait. If you get there like 30 minutes to an hour before park opens, you will need to expect a long wait especially if you go during the holidays. If you think your recent trip was bad, I would not suggest you go during the holidays or plan to be there 2 hours before park opens. You also need to keep in mind that the Harbor Blvd entrance is the main entrance so you should expect lines when tens of thousands of people are all trying to go to one place.

Please just play your part and have your bags ready as this will help everybody move through the checks quicker.

...and no I don't work for Dis.

Wow someone actually thinks it's for anyone's safety and not just to make you FEEL safe? Have you noticed how easy it would be to get anything you want through? They don't check strollers, they don't seriously go through bags and check for hidden items/pockets. I don't blame them..it wouldn't be practical to do so, and even if they did turn into the TSA they would still fail to stop a serious attempt..just like the TSA: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/6/tsa-failed-detect-95-percent-prohibited-items-minn/

They really need stop with the theatrics and let us enjoy our vacations.

And as far as the no bag line it really don't make sense why WDW is able to do it with larger crowds but DLR isn't.

I'm able to enjoy my vacation because there is security.
see the rest of my post and link, you think Disney Security would score higher than the TSA at all?

By the way, Disney Security is very good, but the elements that keep you safe are not very visible, everything in plain sight is simply to make you feel better.

Last edited:

I'm curious because we are going tomorrow... What time did you arrive at security and which security entrance did you go to?

Wow someone actually thinks it's for anyone's safety and not just to make you FEEL safe? Have you noticed how easy it would be to get anything you want through? They don't check strollers

They've always checked my stroller really carefully including patting down these little pockets on the sides. They seem to do a decent enough job checking bags too or maybe my 2-year-old and I just look really suspicious so they check us extra carefully

They've always checked my stroller really carefully including patting down these little pockets on the sides. They seem to do a decent enough job checking bags too or maybe my 2-year-old and I just look really suspicious so they check us extra carefully
They are inconsistent at best, I go quite often and the last time I went was my first time with a stroller...the whole trip they just looked at the stroller and never touched it, i actually ended up emptying my pockets and putting everything in the stroller to make it easier, I had a travel system where the car seat snaps on top of the stroller, there is so much room under the loose fitting foam/liner of the car seat I could easily fit 3 compact hand guns in there..just saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!