Seeing Avatar movie before visiting Pandora?

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
We've never seen the movie. Is it ok for a 12year old? We don't have much desire to watch the movie. Would we understand and appreciate Pandora and the new land/rides more if we see the movie prior to our visit?

The movie plot is essentially dances with wolves with blue people...I only saw it once when it came out and I am not sitting through it again. Am I going to jockey for FoP on 60 + 4? YES

It's not necessary (since the movie is about 3 hours of life you'll never get back anyway), but it does help to recognize what you are seeing, and it is a beautiful - looking movie.

DS saw it, I did not. Conclusion was from both; totally unnecessary to enjoy it all. I actually think I was at an advantage as I really didn't have any expectations. For DS he felt so much was missing that should have been there from the movie. Maybe when the next movie comes out (haha, that sounded so funny) it will make Pandora more relevant.

We watched it over Christmas. I wanted to the kids to see it in prep for the trip, but I've always liked the movie anyway. My kids are 7, 13, and 14. My 7 year old has seen movies quite a bit older than he should see, just because of his older siblings. But for a 12 year old, I would say it's fine.

DH and I did not see the movie prior to enjoying the rides in Pandora. But we did watch it after we got back. If you have time to watch it beforehand or you do it as a “movie night” to build anticipation for your trip, I think it enhances the Pandora experience. But, you will definitely enjoy the attractions in Pandora without seeing the movie.

BTW, I didn’t think the movie was terrible; I am glad to have seen it. But we also split it up over two nights.

1. The movie is def ok for a 12yr old IMO. It's basically Fern Gully in CGI.
2. You don't have to see the movie to enjoy it, it's all so beautifully done that it stands on it's own. However, watching the movie does make it feel even more immersive. Granted it's one of my favorite movies but I seeing things in Pandora that I recognize from the movie was really really cool to me.

It isn't essential, but you might appreciate the characters more if you do. In the sense that you'll understand a little about who they are.

I think for us, some of our party had seen the movie and some had not, so it isn't a deal-breaker. Over the course of Disney history though, the rides that have had the most staying power tend to be the ones with important characters. There are a few exceptions of course (like Space Mtn), but people favor their hearts over special effects.

We all enjoyed FoP, but the river ride didn't impress us that much.

What we also enjoyed was seeing the area in the day, then returning near dusk and staying until it was dark. We enjoyed that far more than the river ride.

I highly recommend seeing the movie first, we were just there with first timers that hadn't seen the movie and they still thought the land was cool, but they didn't totally "get it." it's fine for a 12yo, IMO.

What can it hurt to give the movie a try? I don't think you have to see it to enjoy Pandora, but, hey, you may like it. It is a very polarizing movie, but I am a fan. As far as appropriateness it's about on the level of any average Marvel or Star Wars blockbuster type movie. There is a little language, and some violence, though not over the top. Typical PG-13 stuff.

I went to WDW this summer, not really having watched Avatar (DD watched it once and I fell asleep lol). I did FoP, NRJ, ate at Satuli Canteen, and enjoyed looking at Pandora. But, NRJ made no sense to me and the whole area just seemed odd until nighttime, then it was gorgeous. DD15 and I went back in October and I made it a point to watch Avatar again before we left. I am so glad I did! NRJ was meaningful and beautiful this time around. I was unable to do FoP (major motion sickness first time and didn't want to risk ruining a short trip), but the entire land of Pandora made so much more sense after watching it. If you can find time to watch it, I recommend it.

The movie isn't terrible, but it isn't that great, either. The story behind it is like Ferngully, I will agree to that, but the language is not kid-friendly. So if you limit swearing around your child and in the movies they watch, I don't recommend watching this movie with your child. I was actually surprised at the foul language. Don't get me wrong, I swear, sometimes I swear a lot, but for something I'm considering now a Disney-esque movie, there's a lot of cussing. The movie wasn't good enough IMHO to make multiple sequels and an entire land at AK, but maybe the sequels will be better.

Avatar is high on my list of most disliked movies and I don’t understand how it made two billion dollars or how it received any Oscar nominations aside from special effects. The storyline, the acting, the length of the movie...it’s all interminable. After that ringing endorsement, there’s really nothing inappropriate in it other than language and some explosions as the end, which are tamer than in any of the Marvel or Transformers movies.

Having said that, other than being Pandora the movie really has no effect on the land itself. I think there was a passing comment in the FoP preshow about events in the movie but it really adds nothing to the ride itself. And honestly, for me, thank goodness. Pandora itself really is beautiful and I don’t even think of it as being tied to the movie.

I liked the movie but it is not one of my all-time greats, but it is definitely worth a watch. Especially since they have committed to making 2 more sequels and maybe even 2 more on top of that for a total of 5 movies. I think if you see the movie first, the land and rides are so much more immersive and then you understand the look they were going for.

Is it absolutely necessary to see the movie first? No. But will it make the whole experience better? Yes, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter