Select photopass locations to be replaced by automated cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - I think there is potential for the technology - but seem to be a better fit in locations other than meet and greets. I mean, there is that bridge that connects Asia to Dinoland that they usually have a photopass photographer to get pictures with Everest in the background and most of the time we go by there is no one wanting a picture and the photographer is bored almost begging people to get a picture taken. Why not put a box at places like that to take automatic pictures at a set angle or two vs replacing the human photographers at character meets that are always busy and where getting those candid shots at lots of different angles and eye levels makes all the difference :confused3
I'd also like them in the water parks. Out of the times I've been in the water parks, there has only been PP photographers there once and we get some really nice pictures there. It must have been BB's day, because there were at least 5 of them around the park.

But it should be additive, not subtractive. And I think character meet and greets is the absolute worst place for this.

Just checking to make sure. At first it was stated they'd start this month. Now there's said 2019. So I can safely assume there will be photopass photographers at the character meets during my trip in December?

Just checking to make sure. At first it was stated they'd start this month. Now there's said 2019. So I can safely assume there will be photopass photographers at the character meets during my trip in December?
I guess we will find out?

I thought I read tinkerbell starts today the rest next year.

Tink has already been tested.
Has it already yielded complaints? Because I’m already getting the feeling that the automated cameras aren't going to yield the same results as what a PhotoPass CM would produce, due to them being fixed and possibly lacking a zoom lens that can be remotely controlled.

Has it already yielded complaints? Because I’m already getting the feeling that the automated cameras aren't going to yield the same results as what a PhotoPass CM would produce, due to them being fixed and possibly lacking a zoom lens that can be remotely controlled.
I believe they still had a photopass CM there during the test so not sure. There are sample images on social media of the test.

I'm in the waiting to see camp. I don't have to purchase our MM until 12/4, and I will not be purchasing it if it rolls to other locations prior to the end of the year. Eager to hear updates!

Well, we rarely stay on site so EMH don't impact me - but people seem to get value in the paid events with limited crowds. I mean, if that bothers you and negatively impacts your trips then you should be upset by it and complain

To me the memories of a trip are some of the best parts and why we vacation at Disney and those candid moments that get captured by a human photographer going away is a negative to capturing those memories

I think it also is a very tangible sign of Disney becoming less personable and lessening the guest experience so why it is drawing such a reaction

Some of my fondest memories are the countless times me and my daughters flew around one of the parks late at night riding attractions over and over again.

Cutting park hours will also cut people's chances of making and capturing those memories.

Some of my fondest memories are the countless times me and my daughters flew around one of the parks late at night riding attractions over and over again.

Cutting park hours will also cut people's chances of making and capturing those memories.

A lot of my best Disney memories are the same. Those late nights at Magic Kingdom and MGM running circles to fit in all the rides we could. Riding Space Mountain dozens of times with my grandmother after midnight in particular. Even going to Universal, and planning it specifically so I could still get lots of time in Magic Kingdom afterwards, since they shut at 8 and Magic might be open until 3am or so. Or being in Magic Kingdom until 4am, then going to get ice cream on the Boardwalk at 5am, only to wake back up at 8 to get to MGM for open. It's a large part of what created my love for the place. The cut back in hours is by far my least favorite move of Iger's era.

My family just returned from a trip at the end of October and we did a lot of meet and greets. My daughter has autism, sensory issues, etc and if not for wonderful photographers, I don't think the great pictures we have would have been possible. They made my daughter feel comfortable, helped position her for the photos, helped her smile and laugh. I wonder how these camera boxes are going to do this for guests like my daughter and others with disabilities...

Visiting Disney Paris and stopped at Jack Skellington M&G. The fast pass photographer did an awesome job of capturing the moment. I don't think photographers are the typical CMs, meaning not paid minimum wages. The raising of wages is probably not the root cause here. Potential liability of handling guest's cameras or phones could be a factor. The photographers will be missed, but only by those that interacted with them in the past, and I don't think that is a large percentage of guests unfortunately.

I'm curious to see what the photos look like.... I got a ton of photos from my November trip and they're great! I'd hate to see a dip in quality. A multi-camera system would probably work better than a single fixed camera.

One possible benefit is that it could make the lines go quicker. Sometimes these character lines get over an hour long.

Regarding photopass photographers, do they actually get special training on how to take photos? I'd say for every decent/good photopass photographer we've had, there has been one bad one (poorly composed and exposed shots). We have purchased memory maker 4 years in a row, so I have a fairly large sample size of photographs to look at and judge quality.

Does anyone know if this photo equipment uses some kind of facial and body recognition AI to frame various shots from different angles, or is it simply a fixed shot?

Regarding photopass photographers, do they actually get special training on how to take photos? I'd say for every decent/good photopass photographer we've had, there has been one bad one (poorly composed and exposed shots). We have purchased memory maker 4 years in a row, so I have a fairly large sample size of photographs to look at and judge quality.

Does anyone know if this photo equipment uses some kind of facial and body recognition AI to frame various shots from different angles, or is it simply a fixed shot?
This goes back awhile, but the photographer we spoke to said they basically audition with taking pictures, but no photographic specific training.

I'm sure an assessment of ability to interact with guests goes into the interview and hiring process.

I would so not waste the time using an automated photopass. The human interaction is part of the experience - even if they are sometimes cranky :)

My dream job would be a photopass photographer - but I don't know if I could handle 8 hours on my feet......

We just came back from a week at WDW. It was the first trip for my 10-month old grandson. We took a family photo by the France fountain. The photographer did a great job of getting him to look at the camera. A box could not have done that

Devil's advocate. The upside I think they are advocating for is the magic mystery box is likely going to do closer to a video. I'm envisioning it takes 50 photos for the hopes 5 are a winner. Where the human might take just 5 photos. So by volume you get that one winning photo.

I'm not convinced it hits the mark, but I can see the value in developing the technology even if it's only to augment the current photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter