Self Parking before Check in at Grand Californian DVC

JWhiz

Mouseketeer
I am staying in a DVC villa at the Grand Californian. On my day of arrival, I will arrive before check in time. I understand that self parking is free when staying on DVC points, but most mention having a room key when you park. As I likely will be there several hours (park opening) before check in at 4:00p, I would still like to park for free in the lot. How would I do this? Can I just tell the parking attendant? Are they linked into reservations? Perhaps if I showed them a print out? Or do I go to the resort first, tell them I am checking in later, and they will give me something?

Even if I go to the resort first to drop off luggage, it will be too early to check in and get a room key.

Just wondering what other experience has been. I assume even though I am just staying one night (Saturday) that I can park for free both days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Check in early. I believe you can check in as early as 6 am and get the room key.

You can also tell the parking attendant and see if they will let you into that lot first. It's been a while since I stayed DVC at VGC, but I seem to recall to exit the lot, you needed your room key (well flash it to the attendant). I don't recall if you needed it to enter the lot.

They are going to give me a room key even though the previous guest hasn't left yet?

You’ll be fine telling them your name and that you’re checking in that day.

We just did this last month .... Yes they give you a card that they don’t activate until it’s been cleaned.

You will want to drop off bags with the bell person - if you have any groceries that need to be refrigerated they are happy to take care of them.

You can then check-in. If you pay close attention to the slip you sign, your room number will already be printed on the slip! (Shhhh!!) They’ll send you a text message when the room is ready. You’ll leave the front desk with a dated room card that can be used for self-parking.

Self parking is across the street near the Alamo & Earl of Sandwich that they’ll be tearing down soon. (I have been wondering if that lot will succumb to construction.).

Thanks all for the explanation. Glad to hear it should work out easily.

It’s been awhile but we typically drop off the luggage at the entrance and then park. The guard at the entrance put a paper under the windshield wiper so that the guard at the parking lot would know we were checking in.

It sounds like one must check-in at the front desk (vs online check-in) in order to access complimentary parking on arrival day, correct? Has construction for the new hotel affected self parking at VGC in any way?

LAX

It sounds like one must check-in at the front desk (vs online check-in) in order to access complimentary parking on arrival day, correct? Has construction for the new hotel affected self parking at VGC in any way?

LAX

i dont believe there's online check in at DLR hotels.

LAX
I don't think there is any construction yet because the new hotel is on hold. Might not happen.

LAX

We have always parked first, just told the attendant we're checking in.

LAX

I too have parked first. Just been asked to have my keycard when exiting. I'd try that first unless you plan to drop off a bunch of items.

Thanks to those who have replied. I will try to park first and likely won't exit the lot before actual check-in (ie: room available). On a related note, will I need to present a room card on arrival day in order to be eligible for "magic morning" (or whatever early entrance is called at DLR) prior to the room being available?

LAX

There are no keys to the room. Just your key card.

Yep. Just not activated and you won’t knoe your room.

Thanks to those who have replied. I will try to park first and likely won't exit the lot before actual check-in (ie: room available). On a related note, will I need to present a room card on arrival day in order to be eligible for "magic morning" (or whatever early entrance is called at DLR) prior to the room being available?

LAX

Yes and they will give you one. Official checkin time doesn’t mean you can’t do the checkin process. It just tells you the time the rooms can be ezpexted to start to be ready. Just like at Wdw.

...Yes and they will give you one. Official checkin time doesn’t mean you can’t do the checkin process. It just tells you the time the rooms can be ezpexted to start to be ready. Just like at Wdw.
They have changed that since our trip out West. They wouldn't even let us do the check in process until after 3PM.

They have changed that since our trip out West. They wouldn't even let us do the check in process until after 3PM.

When was that trip? I've been going to VGC since it opened and never had to wait to do the check in. The key card is required if you got there early enough for morning entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter