Selfie Deaths

If you are in the wilderness and you want a picture of yourself, it's a selfie or nothing...but no need to be careless about it.

A few months before we went to Ireland, there was a woman who died taking a picture at the Cliffs of Moher.

I always offer to take pics of people when I see them and many times I get turned down because they want it to have the selfie look. 🙄

I don't understand this narcissistic trend of needing pictures and videos of yourself everywhere. I went to the Grand Canyon twenty years ago, shot 3 rolls of film and there is not one image of me. My Facebook Universal and Disney pages are littered with pictures of strangers who think we want to see their faces. I just don't get it.

I don’t get it either. Yet, isn’t it like millions that post pix of themselves daily... and so many are these filtered, inaccurate pix of their body parts, anyway. narcissists?
I think it’s plain ol Sad:(

I do think that many want to Out Do others and lose their common sense in that regard with dire consequences.

I think the whole selfie/social media trend has made it much worse, but apparently, doing stupid things for photos isn't new. I came across this in a book from 1964, and immediately thought of this thread:

Darwin Photo.JPG

It looks like the dad stepped over the barrier to get a pic of his family?

I'm not sure who the people in the photo are. The photographer behind him and not in the pic was Gary Winogrand. read more

I don't understand this narcissistic trend of needing pictures and videos of yourself everywhere. I went to the Grand Canyon twenty years ago, shot 3 rolls of film and there is not one image of me. My Facebook Universal and Disney pages are littered with pictures of strangers who think we want to see their faces. I just don't get it.

self explanatory ??? Proving I was there and not you at that moment in time.

Totally. Recently I was specifically asked for a picture of us at an iconic site we visited in Europe and scrolled through hundreds of pictures - not a one had us in them. I presume it's because DH took all the pictures and I was standing behind him giving "stink-eye" because he was fooling around with the camera instead of actually enjoying grandeur of what we were seeing in the moment. :laughing:

I don't get why you are bragging about not being in photos. I know I personally really enjoy seeing photos posted on social media of my friends and family. With life being so busy, and most of us scattered around the globe, I love seeing them in the photos of their adventures. Then, next time we visit or talk, I can say " I just loved seeing you in those pics at xyz. Tell me, how was it?"

I have many old film photos of friends and relatives who are now departed, and I treasure those as well. To me, and empty landscape is much less interesting than the smiling faces of people enjoying the landscape.

self explanatory ??? Proving I was there and not you at that moment in time.

I don't think it is that malicious. I think it is more like sharing with family and friends about your life's adventures, and they can post their photos and share their adventures with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter