Sell me on an SSR contract for "Sleep around" points

Have you seen photos of the SSR refurb? I can't post them but if you search online you can find them easily. Don't know if that changes your mind at all, but I'm really liking the look of the refurbished rooms. I'm also a big fan of DS, so having walking access to it is a big plus for me and we'd be happy to stay there. Our first full day of our next WDW vacation, I'm prioritizing a trip to DS from VGF to meet Santa (we have 2 little ones), visit the Christmas tree trail, eat dinner at Jaleo, and get dessert at Amorette's. If you really don't care for SSR at all though, even with the refurb, and if you're not into DS, then I think it's best to go with where you would prefer to stay. Otherwise a bit of money saved isn't going to make your vacation any better if you end up "stuck" at SSR.

We have a good chunk of SSR sleep around points and I would do it again in a heartbeat. One of the contracts was fully loaded with banked, current, and full points coming later in the same calendar year, so it gave us a ton of points to play with right away. We also own elsewhere for the places we feel like we have to stay, so I don't mind having some points to use wherever since I do want to stay at all resorts eventually. SSR points made the most sense financially for buying the most points that I plan to use to try out all the resorts. But tbh so far we primarily use our SSR points to book 1BRs at VGC since we love it and I've had really good luck with getting it. We've also used them to book Poly and BWV in the summer.

I do think buying enough for 1BRs and up makes this strategy work a lot better. If it's possible that you'd consider buying enough for 1BRs, then it can really work out. I think the key points are: 1) flexibility - in travel time and size of room, 2) ability to book on the dot at 7 months, and use waitlists/stalking to your advantage, and 3) be happy with staying at SSR if you have to. You know yourself best. You could also buy SSR, try out this strategy, sell if you really dislike it, and risk possibly taking a bit of a loss.
This was exactly my thinking when we put in on a SSR resale. 1 or 2 bedrooms for our family of 5. Not married to any resorts and happy to stay at SSR if that's what we can do to be at Disney at the holidays.

I agree with the other PPs, you have always talked about how much you love AKV, and I wouldn't let 1 ROFR discourage you. Also, I am not entirely sure that you'd even save $10 pp on an SSR contract. Once you start looking at individual contracts, which ones are loaded, which ones have the seller paying MF, etc. I have always thought that when/if I bought "sleep-around" points, I would pick AKV over SSR for all the reasons stated above. On top of that, you'd have a good number of points to use at AKV for value or club level rooms at 11 months, which (to me) seems to be a no brainer.

I really considered BLT - I like resorts where I can get value for my points, but there were a few reasons I eliminated it:
-While I think it's a good value, you still have to have enough money for that upfront buy-in. At current prices, I'm afraid BLT is out of my price range unless I go for a 100 point contract, which then becomes even MORE expensive.
-I haven't stayed at BLT - and in fact it's probably last on my list of resorts I want to try. Just not a fan of the style, and also the studios there are SMALL.

So, have you not tried BLT? BLT standard rooms are a great value, and you do need home resort advantage to get them, usually. But I hear you on the rising prices, because that was what pushed us to RIV over adding more to BLT! Anyway - having finally stayed in a BLT studio 2 months ago on an adults only trip with DH, I can say that the studio was a perfectly nice size for the 2 of us, and I could even see us sticking our 2 kids on the sofa bed if it meant more days at WDW than a 1BR. And the 1BR and 2BR are lovely. Given how prices all over have gone up, I agree that it's still a decent value, but not as good as it was even a couple years ago (when I think it was underpriced relative to the other MK resorts). Word seems to have gotten out.

Also, the more I stay there, the more I like it. Seems weird, but I love the fact of the monorail going through the main building even if I will never use it to get to MK. It feels very OG Disney. It's a very easy resort to be at, and there are virtually no bad views. On all 3 of our standard stays, we have had a decent fireworks view from our room.

all of this to say, if you're thinking about BLT, maybe see how you like it before writing it off completely.

also I seem to recall you have 1 kid, who is a teen? tween? I know it sounds somewhat impossible, but there may come a time when she won't be traveling with you any more, or she is old enough to need her own room rather than sharing a studio. As you know, Kidani and BLT are the only ones with 2 baths in a 1br and 3 baths in a 2br. Which then pushes *me* either to: 1 - more AKV so you have more flexibility at 11 mo, or a distant 2nd: a smaller BLT contract so you have a home resort covering the last park you are not close to, when you need bigger units, use 200 points every other year, and when you are ok with a studio, 100 points is plenty.

Looks like the real motivators for SSR are "cheaper" and "immediate gratification".

Neither of those will mean a thing if you get stuck where you do not want to be, or forced to book a larger unit that really isn't needed.

You know this! You can wait! You're not two, anymore! :teeth: :teeth:

I think if your travel is during ghost peak times and really would not like SSR if stuck, the they are not worth the savings. I bought SSR two years ago so I had a lot more points as I wanted to be able to visit almost monthly in retirement. But, I knew I’d be using them during times where I could transfer out at 7 months and would use my BWV points for busy times. However, I also have stayed at SSR and while it is not may favorite, it would do in a pinch. One thing I realized last time I stayed there was that if I want to do the parks, I will pay to have a Lyft take me to the parks...for MK it would be to Grand Florida. And then monorail over...which eliminated the one big drawback I had...the buses.

So, you do have to decide how unhappy you will be because saving a few thousand when spending over $10,000 for years of trips, might not be worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

What u have is addonidis, so in order to cure it without putting out huge sums of cash is to simply buy at AKV, but get a smaller contract (like 100 or 125) this way, it won't cost a ton, the dues will be less and u will be happier at your favorite place. matching the use yr will be the hardest part.

If you are worried about what DVC might do in the future you are really wanting to manage your risks going forward so buy a resort that you want to stay at and can book at 11 months.

You own BWV so can already walk to two parks, personally I would buy at BLT. While the initial price is higher than SSR and AKV, it gives you walking access to MK, has the standard rooms which are the best deal on the monorail, has MF similar to SSR and gives you access to a different resort that has high demand. Plus BLT has fairly normally room distribution with no cabins/bungalows causing studio booking issues.

Otherwise if you can't stand or don't want BLT I would go with more AKV. With SSR you just might get stuck there and if you hate it, saving a couple of bucks won't matter.

Half my points are SSR. Bought them cause they were the cheapest when it was a lot easier to switch resorts. 8 years later I wished I owned less SSR and more at other resorts.

Good luck with your decision.

I did this! Ironically, it was your charts which convinced me it was the right decision. However I stay in 1 bedrooms not studios.
I wouldn’t do it if SSR is not a fail safe option in case you can’t sleep around.
We love POR, so for us it was about comparing 20+ years of vacations at POR vs owning at SSR (and upgrading to a 1BR) Then of course trying to get an upgrade elsewhere. So far I’m 1/1, our first allotment of points has gone towards GCV early January. That’s the one they said I wouldn’t get 🤫

Have you seen photos of the SSR refurb? I can't post them but if you search online you can find them easily.
Really liked the updated rooms! Thank you for pointing them out.

@skier_pete don't forget that your question is predicated on "sleep-around-points" (SAPs). Many of the arguments by fellow owners dissuading you from buying SSR is predicated on buying home-resort, 11-month window, most valuable points (MVPs). I believe you have two contracts worth of these MVPs in your AKL and BWV contracts.

Focus on the intended purpose of SAPs and buy the most economical DVC resort there is = SSR by a mile.

You got the hard to get categories covered already with your MVPs.

Last edited:
Hey Pete. I would definitely go AKL or BLT. If you want to save money go AKL which you love and is an amazing resort. Otherwise buy at a great resort which will expand your DVC footprint, by owning at a monorail resort. The difference in $10 PP isn't worth getting "stuck" at SSR and makes it easier to afford concierge if you feel like splurging.

This isn't a knock at SSR many love it, you don't. While I haven't bought my 2nd contract yet, for me it's a no brainer. The cost difference between AKL and SSR makes AKL a slam dunk.

If you "really don't care for SSR at all", I wouldn't recommend buying there. Room costs are only a small part of your total vacation budget, but the resort plays a big part on how happy you are enjoying the facilities, ease of transport and travel times. The small price difference between SSR and AKV (which you know you love) doesn't justify the risk.

I shopped SSR for a while too. But could never get one to my price (cheap enough to burn on the occasional bungalow/cabin stay, if nothing else is available to switch to). Generic, sleep around points make the most sense when purchased in bulk (=cheaper per point) for 1BR stays in DVC slow season, which doesn't fit with your intended usage?

Or you could wait a little longer for the economy to tank? Timeshare resale prices are sensitive to economic conditions. But that's a separate discussion! Good luck with your decision @skier_pete !

If they are truly “Sleep Around” points, than it shouldn’t matter because you will be booking at 7 months anyway, right?

The real question is can you effectively “Sleep Around” at studios at all anymore.

Booking @ 7 months with AKL points or 7 months with SSR points still might not get you a studio at BCV. I would buy enough SSR points to “Sleep Around” in 1BR.

Our SSR are our sleep around points, but I actually prefer SSR to AKV. If the situation were reversed & SSR were more expensive I would still add more points there rather than AKV. For me it’s not a large enough monetary difference to be unhappy with your choice.

What are your thoughts on Wilderness Lodge, @skier_pete? What about BRV for sleep-around points? There’s a cheap buy-in there, too.
I was going to recommend BRV as well. Maybe the short contract is off putting for him.

Yeah - the 2042 end date is a turn-off. Honestly I wouldn't mind owning at BRV, but I have a hard time buying at any of the 2042 resorts at current prices. I even had a hard time buying that 75 point contract at BWV - but I accepted the steep price and short years for the convenience to food and wine. Not sure I could do the same for 2042. My and I will be around 70 and will hopefully have grandkids we want to take - so points expiring doesn't appeal.

Skier Pete. If your goal is value 1 value bedrooms at AKL. Then you need AKL/V. If you want one bedrooms at other properties then SSR will save you a little money. It is hard with all the AKL/V getting ROFR by DVC. It seems if a contract has little to no 2019 points they take it. The test rooms at SSR look great, both studio and 1 bedroom. The only thing I don’t like in the 1 bedroom is the tile on the shower, but your only in there for a few minutes. Good luck on the next one.

You have BWV for F&W stays and can use AKL for the fall, too. So this becomes about the spring sleep around. The current cost per point, per year, is $9.40 for $105 purchase price for Saratoga. BLT at $150 is $10.06, Poly at $155 is $10.06 and AKL at $110 is $10.33. (All numbers using current MFs). You said you aren't terribly interested in having a home resort priority for BLT or POLY. It's going to cost you an extra $150 per year over the contract to go with AKL over SSR. How much do you love AKL? I went through this same thought process for my first resale contract....awaiting ROFR on AKL. There's just a little more of an advantage to having AKL over SSR, including higher rent if you need to do that.

Last edited:
You definitely shouldn't buy SSR points if you are really against staying there. I was there in Feb, and while it wasn't BLT, we enjoyed our stay. Not my first choice, but also not "ugh, Saratoga". I went in expecting the worst, but had a good time. It was an adults only trip, so that was helpful. Not sure how it would have been with the kids.

I can't imagine dropping 16K+ on anything and being unhappy afterwards. That's too much money to not buy something you really enjoy. Our initial purchase was SSR vs BLT, and we spent the extra for BLT and have had zero regrets.

I admit the value aspect of it is very appealing, and the upcoming refurbishment looks really nice. I just personally couldn't justify spending that much money for something I really wouldn't be happy with.

If they are truly “Sleep Around” points, than it shouldn’t matter because you will be booking at 7 months anyway, right?

The real question is can you effectively “Sleep Around” at studios at all anymore.

Booking @ 7 months with AKL points or 7 months with SSR points still might not get you a studio at BCV. I would buy enough SSR points to “Sleep Around” in 1BR.
^this.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the added value in sleeping "up". I did calculations based on the 2019 Most Economical Resort rankings, you would gain up to 30% additional value when sleeping at more point-expensive resorts.

You have BWV for F&W stays and can use AKL for the fall, too. So this becomes about the spring sleep around. The current cost per point, per year, is $9.40 for $105 purchase price for Saratoga. BLT at $150 is $10.06, Poly at $155 is $10.06 and AKL at $110 is $10.33. (All numbers using current MFs).
^this.

For example, I calculated using SSR (most economical) points to sleep at BCR (least economical) during Adventure (low) season. The further you sleep up, the more you gain...

How do you calculate the value of your SAP when sleeping-around? One quick and easy way is to use DVC Resort Economical Rankings: Take the June rankings where SSR is the most economical and BCR is the least. Take total cost per point (TCPP) of BCR and subtract TCPP of SSR. Then divide by TCPP of BCR. That's about a 30% difference in TCPP. If you sleep at BCR with resale-bought SSR points, then you are saving at least 30% over an owner using resale-bought BCR points.

You ever wonder what that 11-m window is worth? I suggest it is worth about 30% of your contract's TCPP, but only at those times when it is needed to book. For example in the case of BCR, during Food and Wine season if you are a studios-only family.

That is comparing apples to apples, but depending on the actual TCPP of the owner's points, the difference can vary dramatically....I think it's a nice estimation tho. What do other owners think?

If you don't plan on staying at SSR EVER, don't buy there. It may be your only option sometimes. My points are all at AKV and I had a value studio for 10 days over Halloween (the unicorn of all the rooms during the busiest time for DVC), but I had to give it up because I had more family coming and needed a 1 bedroom. My only option? SSR. I didn't mind I had to do that, but if you would, then those are not the points you are looking for :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!