Sell Me on The New DVC Contemporary Rumor

DVCLiz

<font color=00cc00>That's me - proud defender of t
OK, I realize this is a big IF - but IF there were to be a new DVC property at the Contemporary, why are so many people thrilled about it?? What is the appeal? Is it just the location next to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail??? I don't use the monorail very often, unless I'm going between MK and Epcot, so that wouldn't be a huge draw for me. And I'd almost always choose the VWL and the conveninent boat access over the Contemporary. I know it's a short walk to the MK from the Contemporary - is that what people are so excited about??

I guess the resort itself has a lot to do with my decision to purchase, and not just access to the parks. I know plenty of others are really hoping for this to come true. So, what would be your reasons to buy here???

The Contemporary is an original WDW resort and has that nostalgic appeal for some. The monorail would be really cool to have at your resort. With Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon, there are the water sports not available at any of the other resorts. Also, Eletric Water Pagent but VWL has that too. Chef Mickey's and California Grill are 2 consisently very highly rated restaurants.

For me it would be all of the above but mostly the nostalgia and memories of my childhood. My first choice in the MK area would be Polynesian but CR would be second.

Jeff

Nothing more than it would be the first monorail DVC. For some people a monorail DVC would send them into orgasmic delight !!!!

To me, converting the CR (or parts of it) to a DVC is like taking a Yugo and trying to convert it to a Benz...it's still a Yugo underneath !!!

DVCLiz said:
OK, I realize this is a big IF - but IF there were to be a new DVC property at the Contemporary, why are so many people thrilled about it?? What is the appeal? Is it just the location next to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail??? I don't use the monorail very often, unless I'm going between MK and Epcot, so that wouldn't be a huge draw for me. And I'd almost always choose the VWL and the conveninent boat access over the Contemporary. I know it's a short walk to the MK from the Contemporary - is that what people are so excited about??

I guess the resort itself has a lot to do with my decision to purchase, and not just access to the parks. I know plenty of others are really hoping for this to come true. So, what would be your reasons to buy here???

IMO its because it would be next to MK, maybe have a quiet pool on top looking into the MK/Wishes.

If you ski in Colorado-do you like the resort next to the slope to ski in and out, or do you like to take a bus back to your resort?

If you stay at a Carribean Island do you like the resort to be on the beach so you can walk out your door and be on the beach, or do you like to drive from your resort and park/walk to the beach?

If these things would not be a priority to you (or you dont like the MK) then
I can see why you would not be interested, for us its the biggest reason we like BCV/BWV and would like CRV.

jade1 said:
IMO its because it would be next to MK, maybe have a quiet pool on top looking into the MK/Wishes.

If you ski in Colorado-do you like the resort next to the slope to ski in and out, or do you like to take a bus back to your resort?

If you stay at a Carribean Island do you like the resort to be on the beach so you can walk out your door and be on the beach, or do you like to drive from your resort and park/walk to the beach?

If these things would not be a priority to you (or you dont like the MK) then
I can see why you would not be interested, for us its the biggest reason we like BCV/BWV and would like CRV.
No, I love the Magic Kingdom and I especially love the BCV - in fact, that and HH are my two DVC contracts! I do really like the convenience of being able to walk to Epcot from the BCV. I suppose my feeling is colored by the fact that I love the VWL so much - and I look forward to taking the boat for my transportation!!! Once when we had waited a fairly long time for a MK boat, we took the one to the Contemporary instead, then walked to the MK from there. It was certainly not a very long walk, but I still prefer the boat from VWL.

I think if you had fond memories of the Contemporary it would be a great draw, and who wouldn't love to be in the pool watching Wishes?

Many, many people come here on the DIS and ask for advice on which DVC resort they should stay at for a particular visit. If they have young kids, VWL is often recommended due to its proximity to MK. But CR would take that convenience to a whole new level, and would probably be recommended thereafter for people with youngsters who are primarily interested in MK.

Personally, I hope this rumor comes true some day. Having another "MK DVC Resort" would make it a little easier to book VWL! :thumbsup2

It's because of the Monorail and the location next to MK. I would love a DVC there.

Two questions: if you are facing the Contemporary and the Magic Kingdom is to your left, would the DVC be on that same side of the Contemporary, or on the other side? I'm having trouble visualizing my norths and souths!!!

Also, wouldn't it be faster to just walk from the Contemporary to the MK - doesn't it seem like it would take longer to use the monorail? Not bashing anyone who would - just trying to understand. I think if you love the Contemporary and the monorail, this would be a no-brainer. For me, it's the same with AKL. If DVC went there, I'd buy points no matter how far removed it was!!!

Any monorail DVC would not only allow convenient access to MK but to all of the amenities of the Grand Floridian, the Poly and the Contemporary as well (not to mention a neat way to get to Epcot and it's resorts).

Can you say "$150 per point"?

Walking will certainly be faster returning to the CR from MK... Believe the "return" monorail runs GF-Poly-TTC-CR.

Monorail to Epcot might be convenient, but you'll still have to swap at the TTC.

DVC bring life (or $$$) to wherever it goes. SO picture a new Contemporary, rebuilt with modern restaurants, pools. You can walk to the MK from there. Watching fireworks over the castle from you DVC room. Taking the monorail to the Grand Floridian for dinner. Imagine life on bay lake. Other new resorts and beaches and rebuilding and improving river country and making the great island into pirate adventure (with Jack Sparrow). For my Kids the Contemporary has one of the best arcades. Now imagine a DVC resort with an entire Disney Quest inside (free to people staying in the hotel of course). Imagine riding horses at Fort Wilderness. And the electric light parade coming by each night.

Real Estate is about location. IMO the Contemporary has one of the nest locations in the world (BCV and BWV are not not bad either). You have to imagine the possibilities!!

Tigger031266 said:
DVC bring life (or $$$) to wherever it goes. SO picture a new Contemporary, rebuilt with modern restaurants, pools. You can walk to the MK from there. Watching fireworks over the castle from you DVC room. Taking the monorail to the Grand Floridian for dinner. Imagine life on bay lake. Other new resorts and beaches and rebuilding and improving river country and making the great island into pirate adventure (with Jack Sparrow). For my Kids the Contemporary has one of the best arcades. Now imagine a DVC resort with an entire Disney Quest inside (free to people staying in the hotel of course). Imagine riding horses at Fort Wilderness. And the electric light parade coming by each night.

Real Estate is about location. IMO the Contemporary has one of the nest locations in the world (BCV and BWV are not not bad either). You have to imagine the possibilities!!
Wow!!!!!!!! Now THAT sounds like something I'd like to buy!!!!!!

Blue&Gold said:
Walking will certainly be faster returning to the CR from MK... Believe the "return" monorail runs GF-Poly-TTC-CR.

Monorail to Epcot might be convenient, but you'll still have to swap at the TTC.

Walking may be faster to some areas at CR, but the resort monorail route stops at CR first after leaving MK. The route is CR/TTC/Poly/GF/MK.

The trip to Epcot will definitly require a monorail change at TTC.

Enjoy!

Tigger031266 said:

I like your thinking. WDW is going to need a Disney Quest, aren't they knocking down the one at DTD? But, unfortunately, I think river country is done for good.

The Polynesian would be my first choice too but a CR DVC would be great. I agree with some of the reasons already listed. Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon are wonderful to boat on or just to look at from your room. We really enjoy being on the monorail loop. It is fun to go to dinner via monorail and there are so many good and even great restaurants on the monorail loop: V&A, Citricos, California Grill (right there of course), Narcoosees, Kona, GF Cafe. Lots of people love 'Ohana. The Electrical Water Pageant is tradition and pure Disney magic in one.

Is the rumor still the North wing? Liz, if you are at the MK and facing the CR, the North wing is to the left of the tower and the South wing to the right. The North wing is the closest to MK and it would certainly be faster to walk to the MK than take the monorail. It would probably be faster to walk back too although as Doc stated, the CR is the first stop after the MK.

I am one of the "I don't get it" However, MK is probably last on my list of parks in order of preference. I go maybe every third visit.....

In the past I never understood the appeal of the CR. To me it just looks ugly and an 1980's version of contemporary decor.
Since the room renovation, I have tried to see the other pluses there because I really like how the rooms look now. There is a great arcade and the proximity to MK is a big draw for us since we have 2 young kids. For our family if they do build a DVC there we would almost definately do an add on. Being able to hop on the monorail to get to the other reorts, MK and Epcot would be a huge plus for us.

Another factor may be how often you visit WDW and how often (or ever) you move. We happen to like moving and then a Resort can be appealing for different reasons. This summer will be 3 days at VWL then 5 at BCV. Obviously our focus at VWL will be MK, at BCV will be EPCOT/MGM. CRV would be ideal for us to visit MK (occasionally instead of VWL) and then BW or BCV for EPCOT/MGM. POLY/GF would also be great for this.

I guess my point is CR currently is not that appealing to us either, but as a new DVC wing, the location and points system and room sizes would change our opinion dramatically.

Of course CRV would not be appealing if we didnt like the MK. We rarely visit DTD and therefore don't plan on SSR either, but a lot of folks love it.

DVCLiz said:
OK, I realize this is a big IF - but IF there were to be a new DVC property at the Contemporary, why are so many people thrilled about it?? What is the appeal? Is it just the location next to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail??????
Yes, it is.

Disney Doll said:
Yes, it is.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Well said, Disney Doll!!!!

I can certainly understand the appeal that a DVC resort so close to the MK would hold, although the VWL fills that need for me so well already. I don't have young children, so we can use the boat without having to drag a stroller, etc. with us. I might stay at a Contemporary DVC for a few nights, though. Maybe I should buy a matched set of contracts at VCR when it becomes available (I know, just a rumor...) and VWL, just so all my MK bases are covered, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!