Selling "Grandfathered" Contracts

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
I have multiple DVC contracts. I can only assume if I sell all the ones that were purchased prior to April 2016 I would lose the "benefits".

My blue membership card has an expiration date of 2021.

Has anyone sold contract(s) based on the date would now exclude you from benefits and and after selling these contract(s) have you attempted to use a "benefit" and have been denied?

Last edited:
If you sell all of your grandfathered contracts, you'll become a white card member.

It’s all legalese and implementation. Is the grandfathering qualifies based on when your membership was initiated, or is it based on you current contract holdings? Is Disney actually running any processes to update the qualification of existing members?

I’d give it 2:1 odds that you’d still be a grandfathered Member as long as your member ID number doesn’t change. Let us know how it turns out.

I would think you could get discounts for purchases, where you only need to show ID and member card. I would also think you would NOT be able to get APs as those go through the "system' to verify that you are valid.

I believe the only think verified at this time is the DVC AP purchase eligibility.

And admission to member events.

True - anything that is reserved thru MS that requires you be a qualified member. I'm not certain though if registrations online check? And at the event they seem to just look at the card or the list for the names.

True - anything that is reserved thru MS that requires you be a qualified member. I'm not certain though if registrations online check? And at the event they seem to just look at the card or the list for the names.
I think that ticketing checks for the pass discounts. Plus the member card now has an expiration on it.

I think that ticketing checks for the pass discounts. Plus the member card now has an expiration on it.

Yes, I believe GS and ticketing validate the membership but I'm wondering about other member events that now can be booked online and are supposed to be only for qualified owners. My experience has just been them looking at a list or the membership card upon checking in. And I'm a bit doubtful that the online system is verifying anything more than that you have a DVC login to access the booking site. Maybe it does more than I think though.

Using the Epcot Lounge? It seems to me the CM was going on line to verify.

It’s all legalese and implementation. Is the grandfathering qualifies based on when your membership was initiated, or is it based on you current contract holdings? Is Disney actually running any processes to update the qualification of existing members?

I’d give it 2:1 odds that you’d still be a grandfathered Member as long as your member ID number doesn’t change. Let us know how it turns out.

I'll take the other side that it's about the contracts, and not so much you as a member.

Sell the grandfathered contract and you would no longer be eligible for member discounts (but I agree that you could get away with using the blue card till it expired, unless Disney updates their tech before 2021 so that CMs recognize that you are no longer eligible.)

I'll take the other side that it's about the contracts, and not so much you as a member.

It is. Each contract is coded based on what level of restrictions apply. As long as you hold a qualifying contract, you're eligible.

Obviously nobody will forcefully confiscate your blue card (so don't lose it! ;)). But if your membership is ever checked for eligibility, that would come into play.

They may check when activating a Gold AP, but they still ask for the blue card so who knows.

Yes, I believe GS and ticketing validate the membership but I'm wondering about other member events that now can be booked online and are supposed to be only for qualified owners. My experience has just been them looking at a list or the membership card upon checking in. And I'm a bit doubtful that the online system is verifying anything more than that you have a DVC login to access the booking site. Maybe it does more than I think though.

Only the page where you request the membership card checks as far as I know. The special events booking isn't even a Disney operated site so it doesn't check anything at all as far as I can tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter