Selling Old Cameras Question

DVCLiz

<font color=00cc00>That's me - proud defender of t
A few years ago, I asked my brother for a 35mm camera for Christmas. As he had just upgraded his equipment, he sent me his old camera, along with some extra things. The camera itself is a Pentax, I think an X-10 or something like that. Then there are five lenses (is that what they are called?) ranging from a couple of inches to about a foot long. He also sent me some film and a Beginner's Guide to 35mm Cameras. It was a very nice gift, and I appreciated it very much.

Of course, that doesn't mean I ever took it out of the box and learned to use it!!! And quite honestly, I'm not much of a photographer, so I think the new digital cameras will be the wave of the future for me. So what to do with this old camera? Is it still good for somebody? Could I make some money by selling it, say on Ebay or something? Or is it like one of the old computers I have sitting upstiars in my attic, waiting for the day I figure out how to safely recycle them?? Any opinions would be welcome - I'd love to clear out this closet, and it's taking up a lot of room!!!!

Cameras have a much higher resale value than old computers. Do a search on Ebay for your make of camera and the types of lenses (normally the make and type is on the base of the lense) and see what they are going for. If the lenses are any good at all they may be worth considerably more than the camera body itself. Better yet, crack that book open, play with the camera some, then decide if you really aren't interested. Would be a bummer to sell it, then get the bug again.

After moving our family photo business to digital a few years ago, we wondered what to do with all of our old film cameras. Since our digital cameras use the same lenses, all we had to move were our camera bodies, and suprisingly, we couldn't give them away. They are sitting on a shelf in my garage. :( If you can find a school or photography club to give them to, maybe they could use them, but even they are going digital. Good luck!!

Many of the on-line retailers also deal in used equipment sometimes on a consignment basis and sometimes purchasing your equipment outright. I would suggest contacting bhphoto or perhaps adorama. Both are very reputable and have knowledgable staff that can help you find the right buyer for your equipment.

Jeff

I agree with Brisully

a year ago I was looking to sell some professional equipment, the market isn't there because of the lower cost and improving quality of digital

I tried many of the online camera stores and there offers all but made me cry...

I will find a high school or college photography student in need of equipment and sell it to them before selling to the stores...

right before I converted to digital I bought a Minolta 7000i with 2 lenses a 35-105 and a 100-300 for $ 120 the 100-300 lens originally sold new for 385, I know this because I already had one that I bought new with my gear

ebay is so flooded with 35mm equipment that only top condition pro cameras are bringing any money..

If you buy your new camera at a smaller shop, they may also have a used equipment area. I've always purchased my cameras at a shop that accepts my used cameras as a trade-in, so I get something deducted off the cost of the new one. I highly trust the place I go, so I know they're giving me an equitable deal. You might do well to look for a local camera shop that's well regarded.

Our local photography store does have used equipment for sale.

Also, our local camera club president often gets emails from local professional photographers who are selling equipment. He forwards the emails to all club members. We just bought a 105mm f/2.8 micro Nokor this way from a professional photographer who is going all digital. Also, our camera club holds a fund raising auction in early December for members to buy used equipment from each other. You might want to find a local club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts