selling small contracts i own to extend years and add points

dwight16

DIS Veteran
i know long title here is my deal i own 2 30 point boardwalk villas and one 30 point bolder ridge contract. all 3 are currently loaded right now fulled banked. i also own SSR and AKL i never book before 7th month window mainly bc we stay in 1 bed rooms and the 60 points really never help me at board wallk

could i sell them i saw small board walks are going for 150 per point. then use the money to get a bigger 100-120 point SSR contract extend the life 12 years and pay a few less dollars in dues.

i think i would need to buy first i can swing a 10-13k purchase for a limited time until the sales proceeds come in.

what are your thoughts i am kind of lazy and dont like rocking my boat.

listening to the podcast made me think....does someone from the time share store need to call me lol......

what are your thoughts i am kind of lazy and dont like rocking my boat.

If they haven't been much use to you then it certainly makes sense to sell them and purchase points at one of your other resorts.

IF they are fully loaded I am sure they will sell like lightning. People want small contracts and if they are not stripped they will certainly go quick. So with that, if you put them on the market tomorrow you would probably have them sold by the end of the weekend. After that you should have the money in hand by the end of August.

Yeah I never use the 11th month window. I would lean on waiting for a contract I want before I list them. I would be flipping out if it was time to book and I did not have enough points.

Remember that you will have somewhere in the neighborhood of an 8% commission on those when you sell them and another fee or two that usually gets assessed to the seller so it may not be quite as much of a difference. You still could gain the extra years though if that's a benefit. I don't know that you need to have the contracts loaded in order to be appealing. You might want to think about offering points to transfer out of at least one or two of them as they will still likely carry a decent premium price whether they are loaded or not because they are so small.

Loaded contracts sell for a bit more than stripped contracts, but not for $30 more (the equivalent of renting 2 years of points). You would be better off renting first, then selling. However it would take more time because you would have to wait the reservations dates before you can close.

I was able to get $102 for a loaded 50 point HHI contract. Much higher than average reported prices. Sold in a couple of days.

the only way i would do this if i netted out more points.....even if it cost me some cash.....so if i would wait until next year i cant sell them until the vacation is compelted correct? i could burn some of my banked points and not have them as loaded.

i could burn some of my banked points and not have them as loaded.
I was thinking of this option for you. Small contracts sell quick whether they have points or not. So the quickest way to get $$ for the points would be to only offer them as a transfer. Now with that you can't transfer banked points (which i think you have) and you can only have one transfer per membership per UY. So this might limit you to renting them out.

I guess work the number and see how it could work out with different scenarios. If you are only netting a few hundred $ then would it be worth the hassle to rent out/transfer only some -- might just try to sell it and price it high and be done with it.

Would selling cause you to lose any grandfathered privileges? (Just a point to consider)

i still have a few more contacts behind that are good.....these are all my addonites contracts i got before the price increases in 2012....

I did exactly this two years ago. I stripped and sold two smaller AKV contracts at big price listed with DVC Resale Market. Then turned around and bought a loaded 250 point contract at a much cheaper price per point. All in all, I added 100 points for about $50 per point net of all costs (brokerage commissions etc).

the only way i would do this if i netted out more points.....even if it cost me some cash.....so if i would wait until next year i cant sell them until the vacation is compelted correct? i could burn some of my banked points and not have them as loaded.

Transferring is your quickest way and will net you more $$$'s in the entire process. You can transfer current points and one UY ahead. A Sept UY probably means you've banked 2018 points so at this time you'd only be able to transfer 2019 points. After Sept 1 you could also transfer 2020 points or set a high enough price to cover leaving them. That might be possible with such small contracts. Using them is just using them and doesn't necessarily leave you any different than if you sold them loaded and bought a loaded contract. What the transfer would do is absolutely maximize the exchange otherwise just find a loaded SSR contract, buy it and then sell your loaded small contracts for the same sort of exchange as if you were to wait and use the points.

I just paid $135 pp for a stripped BWV with 65 points. I wanted a few nights at F & W and it was really not an issue if I paid another few dollars for the points as we have three OKW contracts with plenty of points. People are waiting for those contracts. Put them up for whatever you feel you can get...I suspect they will go quickly and you won't have to wait for the rentals to shake out. Commissions run 8.5% plus estoppel. You'll have your money before summer is over!

So if I book a vacation I can sell until after vacation is over correct? So I think my game plan will be to book my trip use my banked and current 2019 points and then put them up for sale may 2020 by the time people settle it will be 1-2 months until they are reloaded for the buyers.

So if I book a vacation I can sell until after vacation is over correct? So I think my game plan will be to book my trip use my banked and current 2019 points and then put them up for sale may 2020 by the time people settle it will be 1-2 months until they are reloaded for the buyers.

Yes that would work but a year is a LONG time lately (and you are talking a little over a year from now) with restrictions being put on resale owners. As of now, they do keep grandfathering in those prior to a deadline but things can change quickly. Unless I already knew I wanted to travel and needed the points, I would probably put them up, get sold next week, and purchase your new points.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

You could sell the contracts with a delayed closing though you wouldn't receive the funds until after the trip and the sale could be completed. If this is what you are thinking of I think I'd also keep an eye out for a loaded SSR contract in the size you are thinking of. If you find it and are able to buy it the complete that sale and at that time place your other contracts up for sale. If you use them for a 7 month book you could even book a reservation with them and substitute with the SSR points if you buy the same UY. That would free up the other contracts to be sold right after doing that. But really, if you're just using the points yourself then you might as well look for the SSR contract now and once you find it sell your existing contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!