Not sure if Goma would be up for Flights of Passage, just so she could experience the atmosphere. @disneyseniors do you have any input on that? There's always the Na'vi River Journey. But I also agree that afternoon rests are fantastic!

I personally don't like rides like FOP. They make me dizzy and sick. I also stay away from Soarin for the same reason, plus I am afraid of heights. I knew I would not like FOP. My older husband rode it once, has none of my problems, and said he was one and done. Just not for him; too much swooping and falling, even though it is not real.
Unless she is a real thrill seeker I wouldn't attempt it at age 80, or ever. However, we both like the Na'vi River Journey for what it is, a dark, slow ride with scenes from Avatar. The Navi Priestess at the end is a wonder, worth the ride! Lots of people don't like it because it is slow and not much action. I find it relaxing, beautiful, with an amazing animatronic at the end.

FOP might have a "chicken exit" before you get on the ride, but I don't know. Maybe someone else on here can answer that? Some rides do allow you to enjoy the queue without having to ride the ride..

Hope this helps:)

FOP might have a "chicken exit" before you get on the ride, but I don't know.
I've used it!!! I take Dramamine to go on FOP. Last time we went, my family doubled back on after our FP because a rainstorm had cleared the lines. I just couldn't take it, so I let the cast member know that I'd chickened out and she led me to the exit to wait for them.

If Grand Floridian Tea is out of budget, you might consider the Royal Tea Tour during Flower and Garden Fest. The cast members from England do an informative tour of the teas growing in the giant tea cups along with the history of Twinnings teas. After the tour they go to the patio of the Rose and Crown to serve tea and scones. It was $20 per person. The tour lasts about 2 hours and if you schedule the first one at 9-9:30 you can get into Epcot early before the 11:00 opening.

This is such an awesome trip you're planning for her! I have traveled with folks ranging all different ages and health conditions. Much has been covered, but I think the overall major thing is to just commit and accept a slower pace than you would normally do. While you wont be sprinting from one ride to the next to cram the most in, a more leisurely pace is nice b/c you get to take in things you might usually let pass you by.

Pro tip: Mid-day break is essential. I would plan it around lunch time. This gets you out of the park when it is most crowded and hottest! (the heat will probably be more of a factor for Goma than you are used to). This is the perfect time to go back to the resort for a nap or to cool off in the pool and "reset". If she doesnt want to travel all the way back to the resort, you can still take a break elsewhere. The monorail resorts are great for MK breaks. I rarely have an issue getting a same day reservation at The Wave for lunch which is a nice affordable table service. Or this could be when you plan your tea at GF. Even if tea is not in your budget, the GF lobby is incredibly relaxing with comfy furniture and you can listen to the band or pianist playing. I sometimes like to do Capt Cooks for a cheap lunch at Poly and eat the food in the more comfortable lobby, and pick up a dole whip there with a shorter line than MK.

Taking a break from the parks to relax for a bit, even if its not at your own hotel makes the day much more manageable. You can also consider the crescent lake resorts for HS and EPCOT days, and AKL for Animal Kingdom (I think she would be ok in the front for the safari. But if not, AKL does do some tours at their savannah. dont know if that is in your budget, but would get her to see some animals!)

Suggested dos and donts:
MK DO: Tiki Room, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, small world, Peter Pan, Under the Sea, Mine Train, philharmagic
MK DONT: Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain (Space is much rougher than Disneyland's version, and Thunder can toss you around. I dont know what health issues she might have, but she may need to "brace" herself on these ones).

EPCOT DO: Spaceship Earth (if it remains open), Living with the Land, Soarin, Figment, Frozen, American Adventure, films for Canada France and China, if budget is a concern you can grab a cheap lunch at Sunshine Seasons which has tons of yummy options, various performers in world showcase, for an affordable sitdown meal I recommend Chefs de France (they have a pre-fixe dinner menu, a rare find at Disney!)
EPCOT DONT: Test Track (the stop and go portions could be a bit too much whiplash for her), Mission Space (I hate this ride b/c it makes me sick, but there are frequently older folks who feel ill after riding it). Also, dont spend too much time in the sun in World Showcase, it can take a while to travel around there and for Goma, be prepared to find some shelter from the rays as soon as you get to each pavilion

HS DO: Runaway Railway, Toy Story Mania, Muppetvision, Tower of Terror (if she's ok with drops), Millennium Falcon (Id put her in the engineer role since its less "video game-y" than the other two), Walt Disney Presents, Littler Mermaid, a fun themed meal at either 50s Prime Time of Sci-Fi Dine In
HS DONT: Rock n Roller coaster (bangs your head around), Beauty and Beast live (I swear that theater is 25 degrees hotter than the rest of the park for some reason), Indiana Jones stunt show (only if its a particularly hot day. This and B&B are fine if the weather is more agreeable)

AK DO: Kilimanjaro Safari, Finding Nemo, Festival of the Lion King, Flight of Passage (you may have to help her on/off the ride vehicle), Navi River Journey, Maharajah Jungle Trek (if its not too hot), Tough to be a Bug
AK DONT: Dinosaur (I find this one REALLY whips you around), this park is also going to be the biggest problem in terms of heat (how did they put SO many trees in a park yet NONE of them shade the pathways!?) so DONT forget to keep hydrated and dont be afraid to step into a store for a moment of AC
AK Maybe: Expedition Everest (for a roller coaster this one is a pretty smooth ride. But it is a roller coaster and therefore fairly intense. Have to gauge what she is up for)

Long post, sorry! I hope you have a great time on this trip!

Give her a list (you can find it online) of ALL the attractions available. Let her decide what she thinks she might be able to or desire to ride. I'm 72 and due to a back issue I had to use a "scooter" last September. However, I was able to be on my feet for measured periods of time so I went to all the same things I did when I was in my 30's. I don't know her mental status at this point, but if she has possession of all her faculties then there is no reason to not let her chose what she wants. Having the scooter will many times help speed up the queuing process so going commando may not be necessary. You will however need to adjust your speed to accommodate the slowest one in your group. You may be surprised about how much stuff you have missed by always being on the "run".

If I have learned nothing else in my aging process, it's that I am able and willing to do a lot of things that younger folks don't think we should be doing. If she picks out something that you think might be harmful, then just calmly tell her why you think it is too much of a risk. Just don't treat her like a child. She made good decisions all her life or she wouldn't have made it to that age.

What a wonderful thing you are doing for your grandmother. You mentioned going in Spring 2021 but didn’t indicate when. I would avoid spring break (usually March) and Easter. Even though the parks are busy most of the time, those two times are the busiest. I will be there with my family for spring break, March 13 - 20th. Easter is April 4th. Have fun. You two will have a blast!

Lots of great advise here. Mom will be 88 the next trip and has been going 2000 at least every four years. So we have gone through a progression. Being fully ambulatory to in a scooter to now a wheelchair that I will push. Why scooter to wheelchair. She is no longer able to navigate without getting frustrated as her reactions are slower. Be ready to switch if you need to. Her fav is doing the "Behind the Seeds" tour in the Land.

You 'Da Man Granddaughter!!! ("balls to the wall" is funnier in that context) My/Our first trip (look below) was for my 80 year old MIL and her 79 year old sister. They had a blast!!!! Splash Mountain at MK fur sure! Back in those dark ages there were no sit-down nighttime shows. AK has one so does HS. The Dessert Party at the MK is expensive but a lifetime of memories investment. No standing for an hour or more / you sit at a table / your second floor view is awesome (there is a broad ramp main entry to the restaurant / coffee or tea / and DESSERTS (pl ural). And absolutely take advantage of the Photo Pass ~ or whatever it s now called ~ CMs will give your great pics. Enjoy the Magic!!!

You 'Da Man Granddaughter!!! ("balls to the wall" is funnier in that context) My/Our first trip (look below) was for my 80 year old MIL and her 79 year old sister. They had a blast!!!! Splash Mountain at MK fur sure! Back in those dark ages there were no sit-down nighttime shows. AK has one so does HS. The Dessert Party at the MK is expensive but a lifetime of memories investment. No standing for an hour or more / you sit at a table / your second floor view is awesome (there is a broad ramp main entry to the restaurant / coffee or tea / and DESSERTS (pl ural). And absolutely take advantage of the Photo Pass ~ or whatever it s now called ~ CMs will give your great pics. Enjoy the Magic!!!

If Goma is petite you might consider just using a wheelchair. This way she could look around and enjoy everything while you push.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts