Sensory issues and face masks?? NO DEBATE, suggestions only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be overly cautious, but in the heat of "everyone should" wear masks, wanted to point out the CDC guidance actually says, "Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance."

And I wish they would add - "if they are unable to wear a mask, limit the amount of time being spent in the presence of the rest of the population until this COVID mess is behind us." I get that it's not safe or possible for all people to wear a mask - but that doesn't mean it's okay to go out and about. Kids under two shouldn't be exposed to the chance of getting COVID, nor should anyone who has trouble breathing, etc. To me, that's common sense. If you can't wear a mask, don't go anywhere where it's not safe to be without a mask?

Florida doesn't have any laws, or even temporary rules, that require a mask. I seriously doubt WDW will require them. I know there is speculation, based on Shanghai Disney, but this is not China. This is the United States. Just don't see it happening.

Florida doesn't have any laws, or even temporary rules, that require a mask. I seriously doubt WDW will require them. I know there is speculation, based on Shanghai Disney, but this is not China. This is the United States. Just don't see it happening.

And Disney is private property and can require them if they want to. So no one really know.

But didn't someone post it was included in what the CMs require to go back to work? That guests wear masks?

But didn't someone post it was included in what the CMs require to go back to work? That guests wear masks?
Yes, it does appear to be part of the agreement with the CMs’ Union for return to work, though WDW has not yet officially posted re-opening rules for the parks (only DS).

Folks - a reminder that this thread is limited to posting helpful suggestions. Take the debate, arguing, reasons for/against, articles, etc. to another thread.

I would have bet with you on this, but right now, this all depends on their agreement with the employee's union. As soon as they made that agreement, they have to uphold it. We don't know what kind of time limits or exemptions it entails. This is what they promised the union for (some, not all of) their employees, so this is what they have to do.

Well the official list of rules for Disney Springs has been announced now and they are stating that a mask is required for entry. So now it's just a waiting game to see if the same requirement will be in place when the parks finally open.

"For our Cast Members, Operating Participant employees and Guests, there are 6 key things to know before arriving at Disney Springs, and they include:

• Limited parking and reduced entrances
  • Temperature screenings prior to entry
  • Face coverings required for everyone
  • Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers
  • Temporary operation modifications, including reduced hours at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas
  • An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation, including the addition of hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers in key areas"
In terms of accommodations to the requirement for those with sensory issues, I personally would opt to email my questions to Disney and try to have something in writing from Disney before heading out to the parks. I like to cover any base possible, especially with a trip that requires the planning and funding that a Disney trip does.

How much weight would having something in writing really carry? And who would validate that something presented in writing actually came from a Disney official? Unfortunately I think if they started taking notes for something like this, then there would soon be thousands of fake notes.

It is hard. Especially when you are trying to plan a trip that costs a lot of money, and a trip people usually plan in advance. None of us can say for sure what Disney will enforce, and what accommodations or exceptions they will make. Maybe this is a prepare for them to be super strict, but hope they are not sort of thing? But then you are betting $$$$ on the outcome.

How much weight would having something in writing really carry? And who would validate that something presented in writing actually came from a Disney official? Unfortunately I think if they started taking notes for something like this, then there would soon be thousands of fake notes.

That's very true. Because I'm not the type to do something like that, I often don't immediately remember that many others will.

I wasn't really thinking along the lines of something specific to one person or family, though. I was just thinking of a written copy of the official stance on any exceptions.

Very true. I still think they will allow it, though.

Listen, I get that un-masked people bother you. I can respect that. Do you have a very young autistic child? If not, can you please respect how incredibly hard this is? We cannot and will not realistically be able to stay away from these places long-te if mask-wearing is the new normal. We are DVC members. We aren’t planning a trip anytime soon. But when we do, my 5 year old may have huge chunks of time he is mask-less. And it sounds like both Universal and Disney will be OK with it.
Of course you CAN stay away. There are many of us who are going to be putting our lives at risk if we go somewhere where people are not wearing masks and taking other precautions. Are we just supposed to stay home? Your child may be uncomfortable in a mask. Others can die if they don't wear one.

Your freedom should not come at the expense of mine.

Of course you CAN stay away. There are many of us who are going to be putting our lives at risk if we go somewhere where people are not wearing masks and taking other precautions. Are we just supposed to stay home? Your child may be uncomfortable in a mask. Others can die if they don't wear one.

Your freedom should not come at the expense of mine.

Yep, I think you and everyone else should stay home if unmasked people bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter