Sensory issues and face masks?? NO DEBATE, suggestions only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad that it sounds like according to this if what the phone cast member told you turns out to be true Disney is willing to accomatate those with sensory and other issues that make wearing a mask impossible. My concern would be more other guests unless it is worded as Masks are recommended and strongly encouraged but are not a requirement to visit park name. If not it could come down to a situation similar to those who themselves or who have children who can walk for short distances but who get tired out and will use a stroller as a wheel chair, wheel chair, or if an adult even an ECV and parking it either for a single attraction or for an entire land depending on how the individual is doing that particular day.
I think everyone of here know that the judgmental statements come out in that situation. "Your just trying to cut the lines", "Your faking it." "Why don't you make your child walk or carry your child like everyone else" nevermind that a 38 pound toddler who has severe low muscle tone and is falling down when exhausted or in tempature extremes is equivelent to carrying a 72 pound older grade schooler and no one would even suggest you carry a child that big short of an emergency situation and only to the point that other means of transport can be used. I.E. Your hiking and that 72 pound child severely spains an ankle to the point where it is impossible even after wrapping with the ace bandage from your first aid kit so depending on the strength and abilities of others in the group that child is either piggy backed out and any items carried by the child and the carrier are distributed among the others in the group or a two person seated carry is utilized and just the child's itesm being carried are divided out according to weight. Both of these are done only to get to a point of either shelter or to a trailhead depending on distance, weather conditons, and the ability to obtain more advanced transport be it walk out using a litter, flown out via a helicopter rescue, or a vehicle at the trailhead.
Side note it's really nice when some person tells you this and a law enforcement in uniform that knows you and your child pipes up that even they as a trained professional would not like to carry your child around all day like they are suggested because it is like carrying a dead body. The judgemental people tend to shut up really fast at that point.
A huge problem is that there are folks that need others to wear a mask while COVID-19 is a threat to minimize risk.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of wearing a mask either. Glasses fog up. And I have one that doesn’t loop behind the ears. But I’m gonna suck it up if business even do so much as suggest or request. If someone can’t suck it up for whatever reason, then they need to accept that some things are not feasible or doable. And no, it’s not an infringement upon your rights, or a plot to take away your personal freedoms. It’s not discriminatory in any way.

I’m not a fan of wearing a mask either. Glasses fog up. And I have one that doesn’t loop behind the ears. But I’m gonna suck it up if business even do so much as suggest or request. If someone can’t suck it up for whatever reason, then they need to accept that some things are not feasible or doable. And no, it’s not an infringement upon your rights, or a plot to take away your personal freedoms. It’s not discriminatory in any way.

I don't think anyone in this thread has implied masks to be an infringement of rights, a plot to take away freedoms, or discriminatory. ???

It is however as discussion regarding valid concerns and challenges parents face, which ultimately we will all have to deal with in an approved and safe manner.

You don’t have a RIGHT to go to Disney. If you can’t follow a simple rule to protect everyone. You should not go. Until you can go with out a mask. You should not be playing with 1,000 s of people health . Because you don’t want to do something .

If Disney allows exemptions for those with disabilities, there WILL be people there not wearing one. That is then their right to do so if Disney allows it. Maybe you should not go in this instance?

I feel like people will take advantage of saying that they can't wear masks due to sensory issues or some sort of disability, and because Disney can't ask for proof there is no way to curb that from happening. So I personally feel like exceptions should not be made in this instance unless they can somehow ask for proof of the disability.

I feel like people will take advantage of saying that they can't wear masks due to sensory issues or some sort of disability, and because Disney can't ask for proof there is no way to curb that from happening. So I personally feel like exceptions should not be made in this instance unless they can somehow ask for proof of the disability.
We all know this will be the case. It will be like GAC all over again, except the “mask” edition.

I live in Florida and hair salons opened this week 🦨 thank goodness but face masks are required. I was very uncomfortable, it was hot and very hard to breath and I was just sitting in a chair in air conditioning. I don’t see how people will be able to do this in the summer walking around

This is essentially what I told someone the other day. (I actually said this to a person who made a snarky remark at me in the lobby of the medical building where I had to go for my regular labs)

"I don't wear a mask because I *want* to. I wear my mask because we don't have enough testing. I do it so that - if by chance, I have it, I don't risk infecting YOU. I don't care what religion you are, what the color of your skin is, who you love, or who you intend to vote for. I just don't want to be the person who spreads this virus to anyone else, including you. You're welcome."

(Thank G*d the elevator doors opened right on cue, and I sailed inside and went on my way LOL)

I know I didn't change his mind, but maybe somehow the message got through that there are still folks out there willing to do what they can for others - there are people who are doing the right thing, even if it isn't the easiest thing or the most comfortable thing. It's the ONE thing we can all do to help each other - it's simple, and reasonably effective. 'Nuff said.

I know that not everyone can stand to wear one, and I also know that there are people who *can* but refuse to. That's fine. Karma knows the difference, and that's all that matters.

There is SO much ingenuity out there - I truly hope that someone comes up with a mask pattern (or device) that will help protect these folks who can't stand to have the mask on their face. They deserve protection too.

I don't think anyone in this thread has implied masks to be an infringement of rights, a plot to take away freedoms, or discriminatory. ???

It is however as discussion regarding valid concerns and challenges parents face, which ultimately we will all have to deal with in an approved and safe manner.

maybe not here specifically, but just read any news report anywhere in the US and you will see the exact same complaints. that being said, people with sensory issues are no more entitled to flaunt the requirements than anyone else. I have a non-verbal nephew whose parents made the decision a very long time ago to accept the fact that Billy would never be able to have anything remotely like 'normal' life and go on vacations ( anywhere) with his 3 siblings.

in other words, if your kid can't/won't wear a mask, then you have to accept the truth.. that means Disney is out for the foreseeable future. their inability to follow the stated requirements does not override those requirements nor does it entitle you to demand they be waived.

maybe not here specifically, but just read any news report anywhere in the US and you will see the exact same complaints. that being said, people with sensory issues are no more entitled to flaunt the requirements than anyone else. I have a non-verbal nephew whose parents made the decision a very long time ago to accept the fact that Billy would never be able to have anything remotely like 'normal' life and go on vacations ( anywhere) with his 3 siblings.

in other words, if your kid can't/won't wear a mask, then you have to accept the truth.. that means Disney is out for the foreseeable future. their inability to follow the stated requirements does not override those requirements nor does it entitle you to demand they be waived.

No. Just 1,000 times No.

That’s fantastic that your family members made that CHOICE for their son. It was their CHOICE. My son is not that severely disabled, but we made the CHOICE when he was diagnosed of the complete opposite of your family - that he would live the most normal life possible. And we have been very successful. He functions very close to normal out in public because we made this CHOICE and work very hard at it.

Disabled individuals have a right to vacations. Obviously their loved ones can decide not to take them on any vacations, and that is their CHOICE. But it is also my CHOICE to bring my son wherever I want to that allows unmasked people with disabilities. It’s not flaunting the requirements or demanding anything if Disney allows exemptions for those with disabilities. I will bring him there. If Disney says it’s OK, then I wouldn’t be breaking any rules. All of the airlines that are now requiring face masks have made exemptions for the disabled, and I expect Disney to follow suit. It may not be apparent in any initial statement that comes out just like with the airlines, but it will be something I’ll be able to get confirmation on before traveling.

It is very, very easy to tell other parents how to parent, or other people what they should do. You have absolutely NO idea what you would do unless you actually were in my situation. I thought the same way as you until I was given a special child.

All of the people who clearly aren’t disabled or caring for a disabled person in their home need to get off this thread. Your interest in this comes from a different place.

I stand by the post you’ve quoted. I think you need to re-read it in the context it was written and in it’s entirety. I’m in no way suggesting demands, but rather trying to engage in a conversation around how a challenging situation will need to be handled.

Your response is inflammatory, but thankfully I’ve learned not to let ignorance bother me.

No. Just 1,000 times No.

That’s fantastic that your family members made that CHOICE for their son. It was their CHOICE. My son is not that severely disabled, but we made the CHOICE when he was diagnosed of the complete opposite of your family - that he would live the most normal life possible. And we have been very successful. He functions very close to normal out in public because we made this CHOICE and work very hard at it.

Disabled individuals have a right to vacations. Obviously their loved ones can decide not to take them on any vacations, and that is their CHOICE. But it is also my CHOICE to bring my son wherever I want to that allows unmasked people with disabilities. It’s not flaunting the requirements or demanding anything if Disney allows exemptions for those with disabilities. I will bring him there. If Disney says it’s OK, then I wouldn’t be breaking any rules. All of the airlines that are now requiring face masks have made exemptions for the disabled, and I expect Disney to follow suit. It may not be apparent in any initial statement that comes out just like with the airlines, but it will be something I’ll be able to get confirmation on before traveling.

It is very, very easy to tell other parents how to parent, or other people what they should do. You have absolutely NO idea what you would do unless you actually were in my situation. I thought the same way as you until I was given a special child.

All of the people who clearly aren’t disabled or caring for a disabled person in their home need to get off this thread. Your interest in this comes from a different place.

Well said!

Last edited:
Folks -- this is a heated topic everywhere. If you want to debate the validity of wearing a mask, there are other threads on the DISboards for just that. Here are a few and there are probably others:

Any debate of whether face masks should or should not be required at Disney parks will be deleted. Let's keep this thread to helpful suggestions for those who are struggling with wearing one.

So, City Walk at Universal reopens tomorrow and will also be requiring face masks. They replied in their Facebook group that if your disability does not allow you to wear one then you will need to visit Guest Services to discuss accommodations. Sounds like you will need to get a pass to show you are exempt.

So, City Walk at Universal reopens tomorrow and will also be requiring face masks. They replied in their Facebook group that if your disability does not allow you to wear one then you will need to visit Guest Services to discuss accommodations. Sounds like you will need to get a pass to show you are exempt.

That’s how it should work, and that’s how it was explained to me by Disney that it would work.

For those that can't wear a mask due to cognitive or sensory issues - have you tried a face shield?

That’s a great suggestion. For my son, he can tolerate a hat for only a brief period of time, but that’s still longer than the time he can tolerate a mask. We are and will continue to work on both in therapy and at home/out in public. But for many, a face shield will be a great option that could work for them easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter