September 2018 discount watch

Meghan, welcome to the DIS!
Recent past years' deals came out end of April, so that would be about right if they don't change anything. My Sept 2012 trip I booked with Free Dining at the beginning of March, so they've moved them back in more recent times. Just keep being vigilant. Watch for updates here, and watch the disney website daily. I've always received notice at least a few days early from my friends here at the DIS, but you never know if Disney will get one by us!
Thanks for the info! I have been on the Disney website daily to see if they have made any changes.

We are Aug 28-Sep 3. Quick adults only :) hoping to see something that starts during my arrival date, whether it be free dining or room discount - something helps!

I'm in too! We just booked POFQ yesterday and are hoping for some kind of discount. My BF has never been and wanted POFQ and DDP so free dining or a room discount would be great!

I realize POFQ is often excluded, so when we hear about discounts we will decide whether to look at other resorts or stick with the price we booked.
Idk if you have stayed at POFQ and know how great this resort is or not. IMO this is the best moderate resort. The proximity to EVERYTHING is great, RIVERSIDE Is a short walk away if you want to check out the bigger gift shop or table service restaurant, and you can use Riversides pool (I don't know if Riverside can use POFQ's pool)
I'm from Louisiana and usually stay at AKL and sometimes Yacht and BC but if I am staying mod. This resort is my favorite. Oh yea, the boat to Disney Springs is a bonus. So, even if there is a discount and most likely POFQ will be excluded then it is worth the little extra $. Happy planning

Pofq was great. Never has discounts but they are doing some room upgrades which is a bonus. And no construction!
Riverside does get the discounts usually so this is a good option

Thanks @karen4546 and @a*lil*bit*goofy! I've stayed at POFQ, but it's been about 15 years, so I'm exciting to see any changes and the updated rooms. I lived in New Orleans for a bit so I know we'll enjoy the theming...even the authentic humidity! :rotfl2:

Is there any advantage (besides the dining reservation +10) to making a resort reservation prior to room-only discounts being released? For example, is it faster to modify an existing reservation online the morning that discounts are released than to make a new reservation? It seems that AP discounts for Sept won’t be posted until late June (if any). Am wondering if having a good TA is an advantage even though I’m tech savvy. I rented points earlier this year but no availability for what I want at this juncture. Thanks!

I'm also waiting for general public room discounts for September 2018. If I book a room now can I apply a discount later to my existing reservation or are they for new reservations only?

Is there any advantage (besides the dining reservation +10) to making a resort reservation prior to room-only discounts being released? For example, is it faster to modify an existing reservation online the morning that discounts are released than to make a new reservation? It seems that AP discounts for Sept won’t be posted until late June (if any). Am wondering if having a good TA is an advantage even though I’m tech savvy. I rented points earlier this year but no availability for what I want at this juncture. Thanks!

The general thinking is: if you want a specific room no matter the cost, book it whenever you can. If discounts come out, you can try to apply it to your reservation, or change room type or resort if your resort is not available. If you don't get a discount, at least you have a room you want & are willing to pay for.

If you won't go unless you get a discount on that room, no point in booking it ahead. Many of us feel that booking on hope of getting a discount actually works against us. Disney puts out discounts to fill vacant rooms, not to be nice to guests. If rooms are filled at rack rate, they have no reason to discount them.

Modifying an existing reservation saves a little time over making a new one. But I personally don't think it is that significant an amount of time. I think the computer searching for the discount is a big part of the time it takes. And that happens whether you are modifying or booking new.

I don't regularly use a travel agent so I can't help with that. I like to control my own reservation so only use a travel agent for specific discounts.

Last edited:
I'm also waiting for general public room discounts for September 2018. If I book a room now can I apply a discount later to my existing reservation or are they for new reservations only?

They are not for new reservations only. However, discounts do not apply to every room type. The number of rooms & which type of rooms are discounted is up to Disney's discretion. If the room you have booked already is available with the discount, you can modify your reservation to get the discount. If the room you have booked is not available with the discount, you can't apply it. You can modify your existing reservation to a different room type or resort to get a discount. But having a room already booked won't guarantee a discount can be applied later. And having a room booked won't prevent you from getting a discount later either.

This really depends on the math for your situation. Deluxe with less people usually is better with a room discount. The bigger the family with "disney adults" ages 10-17 might be better off with free dining. If you want to stay club level, and assuming the resort only discount includes this level and the resort you want, it might be a far greater discount per day than free dining. If you stay at a value, and assuming the discount is 10%, the $10-20 daily discount may be far less than 4 quick serve plans for a family that includes two kids that are "disney adults" ages 10 and 13.

This really depends on the math for your situation. Deluxe with less people usually is better with a room discount. The bigger the family with "disney adults" ages 10-17 might be better off with free dining. If you want to stay club level, and assuming the resort only discount includes this level and the resort you want, it might be a far greater discount per day than free dining. If you stay at a value, and assuming the discount is 10%, the $10-20 daily discount may be far less than 4 quick serve plans for a family that includes two kids that are "disney adults" ages 10 and 13.
We are a family of 6, and my oldest will be turning 12 on the trip. The other three will be 9,7, &5. As of right now we are booked club level, so I am thinking the room discount would be better. I guess we will see when the discounts come up to find out what it best. I'm also not stuck on club level, but there are very few rooms that fit us.

Meghan, definitely do a little number crunching when the deals come out. In the past, deluxe hotels have received standard disney dining plan on the free dining deal. This is 75.49/night for each individual over 10y/o and 25.75/night for each child under 10. So for your family, if this deal remains, would be a savings of 226.47 (2 adults and 1 Disney Adult 12y/o) + 77.25 (3 disney kids under 10 y/o) = $303.75/night savings * number of nights you're staying at Disney World. Keep in mind some additional costs that Disney may try to throw at you. Last year, you had to stay a certain number of nights and you had to have park hopper to have free dining. So, if the minimum is 5 nights, but you're only staying 4, this might not be the deal for you. Or, if you're not doing park hopper and have to add that expense to 6 tickets, that might not be ideal for you. Park Hopper is about $65 +/- additional expense on every person. However, this is a one time charge, so if staying 7 nights, you'd save $2,126.25 on the DDP, but have to then add back in the one time cost of -$390 ($65 per person) for the park hopper for a total savings of $1,736.25. One additional factor, do you think you'll eat this much food if still staying CL? We usually either get the DP or CL, but not both.

To figure the deluxe club level discount, I'd figure your currently booked rack rate less taxes and then multiply by the % of the discount on mousesaver's historical data (Google Mousesavers Disney World Historical Discounts). Again, these might change, but they can give you a good idea of a discount to use for estimations. With resort only discounts, you may need to be flexible with room category as well as resort hotel. Example: In September, it's fairly common for some deluxe resorts to be discounted 25-30%, but some resorts are excluded completely or have a reduced discount. Example, Polynesian is very popular so it may be discounted only 15%. If you're currently set to stay CL at Polynesian, would you be willing to move to Contemporary or Boardwalk Inn to save 30%? Or perhaps they exclude club level altogether this time (not likely but for illustration purposes), are you willing to stay at a different category to get the discount? Or maybe not, so you go with the free dining promotion above that doesn't usually have as many categories excluded, if any. At Boardwalk the second week of September, Standard Club Level Rack Rate is $651.71. *If* they do 30% off on this category at BWI, that would be a savings of $195.51/night * number of nights you're staying at Disney World.

So to conclude, in this hypothetical, it would probably make more sense for you to take advantage of the Free Standard Dining ($303.75/night savings) vs 30% Club Level at BWI ($195.51/night savings), especially if you were doing park hopper tickets already and staying more than 5 nights already. Further as I mentioned above, if you do the dining plan, it might not be worth staying CL for all the additional free food, so you might get even more savings by downgrading your room category.

While DH and I are staying at Dolphin/VGF/PVB I booked AOA Cars suite for my two grown kids and my sons gf and her 4 yr old son so Im really hoping for free dining bc doing the math with the past room only codes that included AOA free dining would be much more of a savings with 3 adults and 1 child, Ill just pay to upgrade them to regular dining and its still a substantial savings for them..

Last edited:
Meghan, definitely do a little number crunching when the deals come out. In the past, deluxe hotels have received standard disney dining plan on the free dining deal. This is 75.49/night for each individual over 10y/o and 25.75/night for each child under 10. So for your family, if this deal remains, would be a savings of 226.47 (2 adults and 1 Disney Adult 12y/o) + 77.25 (3 disney kids under 10 y/o) = $303.75/night savings * number of nights you're staying at Disney World. Keep in mind some additional costs that Disney may try to throw at you. Last year, you had to stay a certain number of nights and you had to have park hopper to have free dining. So, if the minimum is 5 nights, but you're only staying 4, this might not be the deal for you. Or, if you're not doing park hopper and have to add that expense to 6 tickets, that might not be ideal for you. Park Hopper is about $65 +/- additional expense on every person. However, this is a one time charge, so if staying 7 nights, you'd save $2,126.25 on the DDP, but have to then add back in the one time cost of -$390 ($65 per person) for the park hopper for a total savings of $1,736.25. One additional factor, do you think you'll eat this much food if still staying CL? We usually either get the DP or CL, but not both.

To figure the deluxe club level discount, I'd figure your currently booked rack rate less taxes and then multiply by the % of the discount on mousesaver's historical data (Google Mousesavers Disney World Historical Discounts). Again, these might change, but they can give you a good idea of a discount to use for estimations. With resort only discounts, you may need to be flexible with room category as well as resort hotel. Example: In September, it's fairly common for some deluxe resorts to be discounted 25-30%, but some resorts are excluded completely or have a reduced discount. Example, Polynesian is very popular so it may be discounted only 15%. If you're currently set to stay CL at Polynesian, would you be willing to move to Contemporary or Boardwalk Inn to save 30%? Or perhaps they exclude club level altogether this time (not likely but for illustration purposes), are you willing to stay at a different category to get the discount? Or maybe not, so you go with the free dining promotion above that doesn't usually have as many categories excluded, if any. At Boardwalk the second week of September, Standard Club Level Rack Rate is $651.71. *If* they do 30% off on this category at BWI, that would be a savings of $195.51/night * number of nights you're staying at Disney World.

So to conclude, in this hypothetical, it would probably make more sense for you to take advantage of the Free Standard Dining ($303.75/night savings) vs 30% Club Level at BWI ($195.51/night savings), especially if you were doing park hopper tickets already and staying more than 5 nights already. Further as I mentioned above, if you do the dining plan, it might not be worth staying CL for all the additional free food, so you might get even more savings by downgrading your room category.
Thank you for all of this. We are currently booked in a deluxe cl room at WL. Like I said before, there are very few rooms that sleep 6. At most other places we would have to get 2 rooms to fit us, and the cost ends up being more than the one deluxe room. We are staying 6 nights, but we were not planning on doing park hopper this trip. Last time we had it and we did not even park hop. I don't know, maybe we would this time since the kids are a little older.

Thank you for all of this. We are currently booked in a deluxe cl room at WL. Like I said before, there are very few rooms that sleep 6. At most other places we would have to get 2 rooms to fit us, and the cost ends up being more than the one deluxe room. We are staying 6 nights, but we were not planning on doing park hopper this trip. Last time we had it and we did not even park hop. I don't know, maybe we would this time since the kids are a little older.

Everyone's experience is different on if park hopper is worth it. When we stay at the Epcot resorts or the monorail resorts, we use park hopper a lot. Especially at the Epcot resorts since hopping into the WS is so easy in the evenings. Other than that, not so much. But if I could save more on free dining (when factoring in additional cost of PH) than on room discount, I'd certainly go for the free dining and add the park hopper. etc etc

Thanks @karen4546 and @a*lil*bit*goofy! I've stayed at POFQ, but it's been about 15 years, so I'm exciting to see any changes and the updated rooms. I lived in New Orleans for a bit so I know we'll enjoy the theming...even the authentic humidity! :rotfl2:
omg right - the humidity. i live in LOuisiana and our weather is so iffy. It can be raining in my front yard and sun shine in the back- i am not kidding that has happened before. I do love POFQ - the pool, the pool bar, the food court, the lounge bar, the bus stop, and the quaintness - it is all great. I have stayed at other mods and this is the BEST! Now, I am not a Beachy person and that is one reason CBR did not appeal to me - that and the size of the resort. I am the type of gal that likes to be right in the middle of the action. I will say though that my all time favorite resort is AKL or AKV JAMBO HOUSE .... we rent points and stay there every year and now i am hoping to buy there. I love the sounds, smells, and of course the animals there. you are going to have so much fun not matter what. ENJOY !!!

omg right - the humidity. i live in LOuisiana and our weather is so iffy. It can be raining in my front yard and sun shine in the back- i am not kidding that has happened before. I do love POFQ - the pool, the pool bar, the food court, the lounge bar, the bus stop, and the quaintness - it is all great. I have stayed at other mods and this is the BEST! Now, I am not a Beachy person and that is one reason CBR did not appeal to me - that and the size of the resort. I am the type of gal that likes to be right in the middle of the action. I will say though that my all time favorite resort is AKL or AKV JAMBO HOUSE .... we rent points and stay there every year and now i am hoping to buy there. I love the sounds, smells, and of course the animals there. you are going to have so much fun not matter what. ENJOY !!!

I live up north now and when I moved here, no one understood why I carried a rain poncho or umbrella with me all the time. Instead, we have days that will require a winter coat in the morning and a t-shirt in the afternoon.

BF said he wants to stay at POFQ because our first trip together was to New Orleans and he wants our Disney trip to be equally special! I just booked my ADRs and can't wait to be there! Here's to hoping for some kind of POFQ discount this September. :shamrock:pixiedust:

Now that discounts through August 30th are out when do you think we will see September discounts?
I thought last year they hit early to mid April but with discounts through August just released I wonder if they will come later.
Thoughts?

Now that discounts through August 30th are out when do you think we will see September discounts?
I thought last year they hit early to mid April but with discounts through August just released I wonder if they will come later.
Thoughts?
I was just asking this on another thread... I hope not, I hope something decent comes out for my sons AOA cars suite package..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter