September 9, 2018 WBTA - Dover to New York

Which hotel are you staying at? I am not quite sure where I am staying, would like to be close to the center and would like to stay at a more
classic English hotel rather than a large chain.
I booked the St James court Taj hotel. It's 0.5 km from Buckingham palace. It's a 4 star hotel 338 rooms. It gets 4 1/2 stars on trip advisor and 92% rating on Orbitz. I booked it through Orbitz it was 750.00 total for 3 nights for a room with 2 beds. It may be less for 1 bed. No deposit required. It's early and I may change my mind, but I thought the location and price was extremely good for being next to the Palace. The last time I cruised out of London we stayed at the Premier Inn close to tower of London. It was a nice area in the financial district, but the the only eating places within walking distance were pubs that did not allow children. I've also stayed at Hilton Garden Inn next to LHR which is very nice too. If you want to be next to Buckingham palace search in the Mayfair district. If you want to be next to the London Eye it's the Waterloo district. If you're in either one of those districts everything is really walkable.

Booked our flights already on Norwegian Air. Pretty good airfare. Flying into London 5 days early. Still need to research hotels.

Welcome :welcome: . We are so excited for this cruise too. Hope you enjoy these boards. The people here are so helpful and insightful.

So is anyone going to London early before the cruise? If yes, how are you getting to Dover? I am thinking about getting there on Thursday and then
taking the train Saturday morning to the port, but I have never stayed in London, only took a day trip from my last cruise so I am a bit nervous about navigating around the city. Not as mobile as I once was. This will be my second Disney cruise and also my second time on the Magic, so now I know my way around and am getting very excited.
We signed up for transfers from DCL they are picking up at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Victoria, it is $60/person each way.

So is anyone going to London early before the cruise? If yes, how are you getting to Dover? I am thinking about getting there on Thursday and then
taking the train Saturday morning to the port, but I have never stayed in London, only took a day trip from my last cruise so I am a bit nervous about navigating around the city. Not as mobile as I once was. This will be my second Disney cruise and also my second time on the Magic, so now I know my way around and am getting very excited.
Hi Minnie, you can get the train to Dover from St Pancras Station in London. I think other stations also serve Dover, but St Pancras is the best for us, as we are coming on the train from Manchester to Euston, which is just down the road from St Pancras. The beautiful Victorian facade of St Pancras has been recently restored, it's stunning.

I booked the St James court Taj hotel. It's 0.5 km from Buckingham palace. It's a 4 star hotel 338 rooms. It gets 4 1/2 stars on trip advisor and 92% rating on Orbitz. I booked it through Orbitz it was 750.00 total for 3 nights for a room with 2 beds. It may be less for 1 bed. No deposit required. It's early and I may change my mind, but I thought the location and price was extremely good for being next to the Palace. The last time I cruised out of London we stayed at the Premier Inn close to tower of London. It was a nice area in the financial district, but the the only eating places within walking distance were pubs that did not allow children. I've also stayed at Hilton Garden Inn next to LHR which is very nice too. If you want to be next to Buckingham palace search in the Mayfair district. If you want to be next to the London Eye it's the Waterloo district. If you're in either one of those districts everything is really walkable.
This is great information. I am thinking about leaving a day or two early to explore London. I’m so excited!

Thanks to all for the information. Think I will call DCL this weekend to see which hotels DCL transportation will pick up. I will leave the train as an option
as I still haven't made up my mind where I am staying yet. WOW there are so many great choices. My goal is Buckingham Palace tour, perhaps a play or
musical and the Tower Of London and Westminster Abbey, then there is shopping......:woohoo:

Thanks to all for the information. Think I will call DCL this weekend to see which hotels DCL transportation will pick up. I will leave the train as an option
as I still haven't made up my mind where I am staying yet. WOW there are so many great choices. My goal is Buckingham Palace tour, perhaps a play or
musical and the Tower Of London and Westminster Abbey, then there is shopping......:woohoo:
If you aren't bothered which play or musical you want to see, I'd recommend the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square. It sells tickets for the same day productions and opens at 10am (11am on Sundays). Of course the choice on any day is totally random, depending what is unsold. If, however, you have set your heart on a particular production, I'd suggest booking ASAP.

:simba:
If you aren't bothered which play or musical you want to see, I'd recommend the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square. It sells tickets for the same day productions and opens at 10am (11am on Sundays). Of course the choice on any day is totally random, depending what is unsold. If, however, you have set your heart on a particular production, I'd suggest booking ASAP.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping there was a 1/2 price ticket booth somewhere like they have in NYC.
The LION KING is at the top....after that I will take whatever as there are so many choices.

Congratulations and welcome. There are actually a number of Europeans on this cruise. A number of fellow cruisers are doing the British Isles cruise immediately preceding this.

As a native New Yorker, I'd like to reciprocate and offer any help to fellow cruisers looking to stay in the city post cruise for a couple of days.
Native New Yorker, now living in Orlando, FL. We are also on the previous British Isles cruise. Looking for things to do in England for 4 days before our BI cruise. - Mike

A couple years ago we did 3 days in London before our Baltic Cruise, more to do than we had time for. We skipped Harry Potter tour only because it was most of a full day and we could not find the time. With so much to see in the city and the availability of day trips we never slowed down.

A couple of people have mentioned they'd like to see a theatre performance whilst in London. If you aren't bothered which play or musical you want to see, I'd recommend the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square. It sells tickets for the same day productions and opens at 10am (11am on Sundays). Of course the choice on any day is totally random, depending what is unsold. If, however, you have set your heart on a particular production, I'd suggest booking ASAP.

Hello!! we are excited to take our 6th Disney Cruise. This is our first TA... we are travelling with a 12 year old girl, wondering what other ages of kids are also travelling....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter