September crowds (predictions)

Rachel Underwood

Mouseketeer
Who is headed to the World in September? What are your predictions on crowds? Will it be busier than normal all over or just at HS? We are headed there the 18-26th. I'm trying to prepare myself for busier crowds as we usually go in Sept with near walk on for most rides.

You are going to get answers all over the place on this one! I have been reading several similar threads as I am going September 6-12. Most crowd calendars, which people are also all over the spectrum about, predict slightly larger crowds (meaning the 2-4 level range rather than 1-2 level) for everywhere but Hollywood Studios, which will be well above average! I had no trouble getting dining reservations or fast passes I wanted, so I am hoping all the other three parks will be manageable. We have a touring plan for each park, and with EMH every day we can get a head start on whatever crowds may be. I will also be watching these boards when GE opens to see what others say. My weigh in-slightly about average crowds for September, but still less than average crowds except in Hollywood Studios, and Spring Break type crowds there.

At this point I don’t think anyone can make any reliable predictions. You may get a better idea after the first couple weeks in September. We are heading down on the 6th, and I will certainly be checking every day leading up to the trip to see what people are experiencing. But I don’t think I will change many of our plans based on crowds.

I expect it will be hot and crowded, but I will be happy just to be in Disney and not at work! Have a great trip!

Who is headed to the World in September? What are your predictions on crowds? Will it be busier than normal all over or just at HS? We are headed there the 18-26th. I'm trying to prepare myself for busier crowds as we usually go in Sept with near walk on for most rides.

The answer is simple, who the heck knows lol.

Don't think you can even compare it to when Pandora opened because Star Wars is so much bigger as a franchise

I think it'll be very quiet early in the month (except maybe the 1st) building steadily throughout, until it’s slightly above normal by late in the month. Basing that on a mix of gut feel, fast pass availability, and what dates the hotel promos that just came out covered. I think then the rest of the year will be busier than ever. During September though I think in particular the mornings will be dead to a degree almost never seen.

I'm just hoping. We are going 21st-28th. At first I was kind of freaked out with so many fps not available, but there has been a reasonable amount of availability the past few days. I have had trouble with certain dining reservations. Most notably Sci Fi. Since it is an adult trip, we are only going to 2 parks (not hopping) and the Halloween party. Probably do a couple of days at "the other theme park". Plan to make good use of the EEMH, especially at DHS. The plan is to be done by 10:00 - 11:00 am and head out until our dinner reservations. If it's managable, we may hang around and take in the shows, but I don't know. We are mostly going to take my SIL so she can experience Disney. I may just spend a good amount of time at the resort myself.

I am not sure when the last time you went in Sept was.... but we have been going in Sept pretty much every year for the last 7 years. Prior to that .... it was either Sept or Oct maybe every 2-3 years. I will tell you.... the last 4 years we've seen significant increases each year making there NO slow or "walk on" time of year anymore.
In my opinion..... Last year it felt like it does when we go in the beginning of June..... very similar crowds ..... just more humid!
That being said..... No one will be able to predict this year! I have already seen some of the crowd calendars already jump up and then back down just in the last few weeks.
I am planning to keep watch on things beginning Aug 29th. Keep reading these boards and go with an open mind and be ready for anything! We will expect the worst... and hope for the best!

Last edited:

We are also heading there late September, 22-27, going to one MNSSHP, and staying on property. As for predictions... I have a good feeling for reasonable crowds. We went Last year during Easter and it was All level 10 crowds, and we still had a great time, so 3-4 level crowds sound great to me!
I also feel we'll be in somewhat of the eye of the hurricane, in those Last days of September; after the initial rush towards Galaxy's Edge, but before the Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas crowd.
I predict that by mid October it's going to be a bigger madhouse than usual.
September, not so much.

We are heading down mid Sept., so I'm predicting that the crowds will be up from last Sept., but no worse than what we experienced in May. If it's about the same as May, it will be fine, I picked up plenty of extra FP's everyday.
Between Food and Wine, MNSSHP, After Hours and FP's it's going to be a good time regardless!

I am not sure when the last time you went in Sept was.... but we have been going in Sept pretty much every year for the last 7 years. Prior to that .... it was either Sept or Oct maybe every 2-3 years. I will tell you.... the last 4 years we've seen significant increases each year making there NO slow or "walk on" time of year anymore.
In my opinion..... Last year it felt like it does when we go in the beginning of June..... very similar crowds ..... just more humid!
That being said..... No one will be able to predict this year! I have already seen some of the crowd calendars already jump up and then back down just in the last few weeks.
I am planning to keep watch on things beginning Aug 29th. Keep reading these boards and go with an open mind and be ready for anything! We will expect the worst... and hope for the best!
2 years ago was my last but we got caught in Irma and had to reschedule to late September instead of early and so did everyone else. Previous Septembers were very slow.

I will tell you.... the last 4 years we've seen significant increases each year making there NO slow or "walk on" time of year anymore.

This has also been our experience the last few September trips as well. Nothing walk on or even close, except maybe late nights or right after RD on days with no EMH or paid events. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think this year will be interesting for sure! It’s anyone’s guess, but I’m crossing my fingers it will be slightly busier at DHS and normal (whatever that means these days lol) everywhere else.

I have no idea. We haven't been in September in years. We are hoping for small crowds but planning for big crowds so we won't be disappointed. Quite a few hard to get dining reservations seem to be available and FPs are pretty easy to get except for SDD. But HS is a mess for FPs anyway so that doesn't mean anything. We have bought DAH for MK and AK both just in case of bad weather and in case the crowds are really bad - at least we will have a chance to ride the rides we want. We have been to WDW many times and will be back so we are flexible and will have a good time no matter what. Mostly hoping for no hurricanes.

have no idea. We haven't been in September in years. We are hoping for small crowds but planning for big crowds so we won't be disappointed. Quite a few hard to get dining reservations seem to be available and FPs are pretty easy to get except for SDD. But HS is a mess for FPs anyway so that doesn't mean anything. We have bought DAH for MK and AK both just in case of bad weather and in case the crowds are really bad - at least we will have a chance to ride the rides we want. We have been to WDW many times and will be back so we are flexible and will have a good time no matter what. Mostly hoping for no hurricanes.

You read my mind !!!!. This is my plan also :)

I think trying to plan your vacation at WDW with "crowd predictions" in mind is a waste of time. There are many vendors with fancy algorithms that will help plan your park days for a fee - and at the end of the day you have a touring plan in hand and a guesstimate of crowds that is just that - a guess. What you *can* do on your own is speculate by the availability of FPs, ADRs, room inventory at the resorts, and incentives Disney is offering to try to fill beds. I never consider crowd level when planning - it's either going to crowded or not. There will either be a thunderstorm or not. We are going to be there 9/8-15 and I am cautiously optimistic that crowds will be manageable based on the above parameters. We have a loose schedule that can be flexible and we plan on enjoying our days even if we have to zig when my plan says zag.

I never thought to check adr availability beyond what I wanted. Couldn't sleep last night so did some playing around. Tons of availability for everything first week of September. Slightly less for second week and less for third week (my week). Although there are still reservations to be had. 44 days out and still finding FP for morning or evening FOP. Hoping that's a sign that crowds won't be crazy.

Totally agree about the increase in crowd levels late August into early September. Previously we could walk on to many rides. The past four years have been very different and last year was much more crowded. We are going the same time this year as I booked it before the Star Wars opening announcement. I got all the dining and FPs we wanted so that was somewhat encouraging. However, I'm thinking it is going to be more crowded this year. We will just go with the flow!

Labor Day week was amazing last year. We ran from ride to ride so much it took a week for us to recover from that trip. lol.

Most crowd calendars, which people are also all over the spectrum about, predict slightly larger crowds (meaning the 2-4 level range rather than 1-2 level) for everywhere but Hollywood Studios, which will be well above average!

We used to go late September every year starting in 2010. The levels of 1-3 stopped back in 2013. Since then it's been more like 3-6 in late September.

Agreed. Our last couple of visits in 2016 and 2018 have been in early August and the crowds felt very similar to how September crowds have become. Meaning 3-6 out of 10. September is not slow anymore. It's nothing like it was >5 years ago. Those were the glory days.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!