September is a good time to celebrate 40 & 10! - Updated 9/13

Hello!
Happy Thursday!

I am off tomorrow for my birthday! Woo Hoo! And all day I kept thinking it was Friday. Oops... :confused3

I will be posting a full FastPass Post this evening. I am still trying to wrap my head around whether I picked good times. So, I will welcome advice and opinions! So, keep a look out!

Cute! I bet they'd love that! Any news on the reveal, how it'll happen?
This is a good question! One that I have been kind of putting off. The girls have been going to camp and that means they drive with me in the car. And there has been a lot of Disney talk in the car! Which makes me think they heard DH that one day when he mentioned the trip out loud. ANY HOW... Morgan asked the other day when we were going to Disney again and I played dumb. But asked her when we do decide if she wants to know. And she replied almost immediately NO! Then I asked ok, but when would you want to know... (because I was serisouly considering picking them up from school and just heading straight to the airport and just wait to see how long it takes them to figure it out...) She thought about it for a bit and then said a 2 days... Why 2 days, I asked. Morgan says so she can tell her friends and so that she doesn't "just disappear from them". Oooookkkkkk.

So, all that leads to, we leave Monday night, so I am thinking of doing something Saturday or Sunday Morning of that weekend before. That way, they can help pack and maybe get some feedback on a few things...

As for HOW to do the reveal, I am not sure still. The second trip was a surprise and we did a whole scavenger hunt with clues around the house. They really liked it and it great. But I fear that I can't do that again, cause as soon as we get a couple clues in I think they would already know what the end surprise is. I have to start really thinking about it! (And make a list of things that I still need to do! ONLY 60 days!!!

We nabbed a great time slot, 4 days into our trip. SDMT was pretty open, but better to do it top priority as well.
I will write up a whole post, but I did manage to get a FOP fast passes but I did have to do the later AK day to get it. Thanknkfully, I was already planning that 1/2 day afternoon later in the week!

I know I could look back through your report but I'm too lazy, so can you tell me where you got DH's 7DMT shirt? It's probably too late for me to order one for our trip since we're just about 2 weeks out unless I pay a million dollars for rushed shipping, but I'd like to take a look anyway :thumbsup2
HA! I am the same way... It is hard sometimes to back track and find the answer. The 7DMT shirt was from TeeRebulic. AND they are having another one of there $14 sales! It might be worth a try... I got our order fairly fast and I did regular shipping. Maybe you will get a little T-Shirt Magic! pixiedust:

I was going to say I liked the idea of a gold belt around Gwen's but I see you reordered them :) At least you'll feel better about it!
I know. I wasn't opposed to the idea, it just stressed me out about waiting to right before we left to try it on the girls. I ended up re-ordering, cause I was just like is it worth the $40? I can not order Starbucks for awhile if need be. ;)

The 7DMT shirt was from TeeRebulic.
I thought the little design around the size inside the shirt looked familiar! That's where my "Hi, It's Smee!" shirt is from. Going to hop on their site now!

I can not order Starbucks for awhile if need be.
No no, keep ordering Starbucks, Starbucks is going to put my boys through college since Steve works for them :rotfl2:

"How did FastPass booking Go?" you ask...

Well, first I just want to say... It was more stressful than I wanted it to be!?! I woke up late hopped in the shower and realized it was 6:59! Eeeekkk! So I throw on some clothes, and run downstairs... To answer a million questions and requests from the girls. "Can I have breakfast?" "I need a drink..." "What are you doing?" Sigh... I was starting to wish I was booking fastpasses in peace and quiet at midnight! I got them breakfast, my coffee and did what every good mom does... put on a disney show to keep them out of my hair!

So, here is my overall "plan"

Monday
Travel Day!

Tuesday
AM: Magic Kingdom
(opens @ 9:00AM)
Reservation: Ohana @ 3:35
PM: Hollywood Studios
(closes @ 8:30PM)
Star Tours: 5:00 - 6:00
Toy Story Mania: 6:10 - 7:10
Tower of Terror: 7:15 - 8:15

Fantastamic: 8:00 PM
Star Wars: A Galatic Spectacular: 8:30 PM

So, we will be going to Magic Kingdom in the AM hopefully, we should be able to ride a bunch of rides without fast passes. We will probably grab snacks/lunch of the way out. We will hopefully head out around noon. Rest a bit and/or swim. Then eventually head over to the Poly for our FIRST visit to Ohana! AND I get to try a Lapu Lapu!

After we have stuffed ourselves silly, we will head over to Hollywood Studios. I was kind of worries we were short changing Hollywood Studios this trip but seriously I barely could pick a third fastness for the day! If we only do Star Wars stuff, Toy Story mania and Fantastic, we will be good.

My Questions for this day:

• I think 5-6 for our first fastpasses. we are basically the first seating for Ohana, so I would "hope" we would be seated fairly on time? I figure we should be there by 6 at the latest and hopefully squeeze it in at the end. What does everyone think?
  • I assume, we can't really see the Star Wars show after Fantasmic? How long is Fantasmic? DH LOVED these fireworks last time, and I know he would like to see them again, even if we don't get perfect viewing...
Wednesday
AM: EPCOT (opens @ 9:00AM)
Test Track: 10:15 - 11:15
Character Spot: 11:20 - 12:20

Reservation: Teppan Edo @ noon
Spaceship Earth: 1:10 - 2:10
PM: Magic Kingdom (Closes @ 8:00PM - EMH 8:00 - 10:00 PM)
Happily Ever After: 8:00 PM
I booked fast passes for the morning, so that we can get on Test Track. I am hoping we can get there at rope drop we can ride SOARIN' and then ride Test Track. Maybe we will do the Character Spot or just head into the World Showcase after Test Track. We have lunch reservations at Teppan Edo for lunch and then we will need to head out for the day. To rest/swim. We of course, will hit Spaceship Earth on the way out! ;)

After resting for awhile, we will head back to the Magic Kingdom for the evening. Hopefully, I can make a fastpass reservation after Spaceship Earth. I am actually hoping for something for like Jungle Cruise or Pirate of the Caribbean. As you will see later, I basically booked fast passes for the same rides...

• Does anyone have recommendations for the best place to try for to see the new fireworks?

Thursday
Animal Kingdom
(opens @ 9:00 AM & Closes @ 9:00 PM)
Kilimanjaro Safari: 9:50 - 10:50
Kali River Rapids: 11:35 - 12:35

Reservation: Tusker House @ 1:00
Nav' River Journey: 3:20 - 4:20

Rivers of Light: 8:15
The plan for today is to stay at the park all day. We have probably spent the least amount of time at Animal Kingdom to date. And I am hoping to really get to explore the park. I made lunch reservations at 1 so we can get out of the heat and rest a bit. I am also thinking we can try and see the Lion King show after if we still want to stay out of the heat for awhile.

I also may or may not have picked afternoon Nav' fastpass for the afternoon so that I can get a margarita in Pandora. And probably have dinner there as well. Maybe?

Friday
AM: Resort / Rest
Reservation: Sanaa @ 1:50
PM: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

Tomorrowland Speedway: 3:15 - 4:15
Space Mountain: 4:20 - 5:20
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 5:20 - 6:30

Today is the party!?! My plan is to relax and chill this morning. I am SURE we will need it after the last couple days. We will probably grab breakfast at Geyser Point and swim. And then we will be heading for a late lunch at Sanaa! I am SUPER excited about this reservation! If we can, we will probably try the Minnie Vans to get to Sanaa. That will save us some time!

After lunch, we will head to Magic Kingdom for the party! (via regular bus). I have no idea what to expect for the party. And I have to figure out some sort of costumes... I plan to stay as long as the girls (and us) can withstand.

I grabbed the speedway thinking it was closing but that actually isn't the case, so I might change that one. I wanted to do Talking Mickey but I couldn't get the right time to fit the fast passes in before 6:30. I saw that Disney will cancel you fast passes if they go after 6:30.

• What should I switch to, if I get rid of the speedway? I would do like Pirates, but that is on the other side of the park, so, probably not the best idea....
Saturday
AM: Resort / Rest
PM: Animal Kingdom

Flight of Passage: 1:55 - 2:55
Reservation: Yak & Yeti @ 4:45
Kilamjaro Safari: 6:05 - 7:05
Expedition Everest: 7:10 - 8:10

This day we will do the same, rest in the morning. I am SURE we will be tired again. I was thinking we could maybe hit Magic Kingdom first to just do Sorcer Mickey Game and then head over to Animal Kingdom. We did that 2 trips ago and it worked well, to go to MK JUST for that purpose.

But regardless, we will need to be at Animal Kingdom in time for our fast pass for FOP! I think it is safely late enough for us to get there without dragging everyone out for the day. Worst case, we don't go to MK first.

• Do you guys agree is FOP late enough for tired/lazy people to get to AK?
  • Has anyone does the Safari at night? Is it worth doing?
Sunday
AM: Magic Kingdom

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: 10:10 - 11:10
Big Thunder Mountain: 11:15 - 12:15
Space Mountain: 1:35 - 2:35

Reservation: Skipper Canteen @ 12:15
PM: Magical Express back to the Airport

Oh and sadly the last day... We always finish with Magic Kingdom on our trips and we usually kind of do best of rides, so I grabbed the mountains (that are open)

Well, that is all for now! Any advice is welcome!!!!

Last edited:
  • I assume, we can't really see the Star Wars show after Fantasmic? How long is Fantasmic? DH LOVED these fireworks last time, and I know he would like to see them again, even if we don't get perfect viewing...

No they make the times so you have to pick one. I thought Fantasmic was 15 minutes or so.

I saw that Disney will cancel you fast passes if they go after 6:30.

Yeah they do I've had it happen the first year we went.

• What should I switch to, if I get rid of the speedway? I would do like Pirates, but that is on the other side of the park, so, probably not the best idea....

Maybe Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan? Those always have long lines.

Do you guys agree is FOP late enough for tired/lazy people to get to AK?

I think that time works!

Has anyone does the Safari at night? Is it worth doing?

I've heard it's hard to see anything at night, we went around sunset once though and a lot of animals were out.

I like the weekend reveal and I agree the scavenger hunt would tip them off.

I have zero suggestions for he surprise though. Maybe a package waiting at home? Like on the front step when you guys pull up from school Friday? Then inside you could have balloons and a message from Mickey or something. @Chicago Mo did something like that for her kiddos a few years ago, they loved it!

also may or may not have picked afternoon Nav' fastpass for the afternoon so that I can get a margarita in Pandora. And probably have dinner there as well. Maybe?

I would love a dinner at the restaurant there; it looks SO good. I don't know if I will have one, but I hope you do!

If we can, we will probably try the Minnie Vans to get to Sanaa. That will save us some time!

Cool! I really like the look of those little vans, waiting to see some rate info...

What should I switch to, if I get rid of the speedway? I would do like Pirates, but that is on the other side of the park, so, probably not the best idea....

What are your must dos for MNSSHP? I tried to get FP near the characters we plan to see so DH or I could take DD for a ride while the other of us waited. There's a great thread for planning party stuff here, [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/mnsshp-2017-my-party-plan-strategy-in-the-making.3604086/"]MNSSHP 2017 - My Party Plan strategy in the making.[/URL]

Do you guys agree is FOP late enough for tired/lazy people to get to AK?

Depends on your group, but I think that's doable. I'm hoping we get into AK by 10 AM after our party night...:eek:

No they make the times so you have to pick one. I thought Fantasmic was 15 minutes or so.
Thanks. I figured as much. We would love to see both but I want to see Fantastic this trip. It will be new to us!

Maybe Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan? Those always have long lines.
Peter Pan is a good one! We are not but Pooh fans...

I think that time works!
Thanks!

I've heard it's hard to see anything at night, we went around sunset once though and a lot of animals were out.
I am torn by this... I am leaning towards maybe switching to Kali River Rapids?!? But do we want to be wet into the evening?

Maybe a package waiting at home? Like on the front step when you guys pull up from school Friday? Then inside you could have balloons and a message from Mickey or something. @Chicago Mo did something like that for her kiddos a few years ago, they loved it!
I like that idea! Does @Chicago Mo have pics for them reveal?

waiting to see some rate info...
I thought I heard it was going to be a flat rate of $20 anywhere on property. Which is kind of high but I think it would still be worth it for this particular time. It would be nice to hear someone experience with it before we get there.

I tried to get FP near the characters we plan to see so DH or I could take DD for a ride while the other of us waited. There's a great thread for planning party stuff here, MNSSHP 2017 - My Party Plan strategy in the making.
Thanks for the link! This is great. I started some notes of some of the things we will want to try and do.

Depends on your group, but I think that's doable. I'm hoping we get into AK by 10 AM after our party night...:eek:

And I probably would keep the night safari over the Kali River Rapids. It could be fun!
I probably will! It is always good to try it... Does doing the day and night Safari count as one attraction or two attractions, though?

Thanks! I like the idea of a BIG box with some of the stuff inside.... I would NEVER get a video put together like she did! I need to keep thinking...

So, things I still need to do:
  • Order Garden Grocer Groceries? - I have done this each trip so far. But we do seem to need it less and less, the older they get. I have lived by this in the past, but I am kind of feeling that it might not be worth it this year... I usually get random snacks/breakfast grab & go kind of stuff. But I don't know. I have think about it.
  • Finish getting Tinkerbell Gifts - I still have a couple days with holes. Grrr.. I need to find glow sticks, something for AK second day and maybe order pins....
  • Figure out MNSSHP costumes - This I have NO idea what to do. This is why I hate Halloween. I never come up with the fun/original ideas. I was leaning towards Star Wars and then I talked to DH about it and he was plotting some theme song shirts or something. But I keep telling him, that it needs to be an actual costume for the girls. They won't feel as festive in matching shirts. (I mean, I am doing that like most of the other days already... )
  • Figure out loose MNSSHP Itinerary - I don't want to be too rigid but I feel like I should have some sort of game plan.
  • Order New Suitcase - We are flying Frontier this trip and we pay per bag, so the goal is to be (2) Carry-Ons & (3) Checked Bags total for all (4) of us. Which is what we usually check but we usually have more carryons.
  • Make a 40 Attractions Check List - I might try and make a full list of what is considered an "attraction" But we will see...
  • Have DH make Daily Cheat Sheets. - This is (1) to-do for DH! Woo Hoo!

I assume, we can't really see the Star Wars show after Fantasmic? How long is Fantasmic? DH LOVED these fireworks last time, and I know he would like to see them again, even if we don't get perfect viewing...

Fantastic is about 25-30 minutes. The last couple of times we've seen Fantastic, we've been able to see some of the fireworks on our way out. We couldn't really see very many of the projections and such, but we could see at least some of the fireworks.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best place to try for to see the new fireworks?

As close to Main St. as you can get! I know those are the hardest spots to get, but there's a lot that happens on the castle in HEA, so the closer you are to Main St., the better!

Finish getting Tinkerbell Gifts - I still have a couple days with holes. Grrr.. I need to find glow sticks, something for AK second day and maybe order pins..

Dollar Tree and the dollar spot at Target a
Ways have good glow stick stuff!

They won't feel as festive in matching shirts. (I mean, I am doing that like most of the other days already... )

What about Disney Bounding? We did Lock, Shock and Barrell in 2015. It was fun cause we had cute accessories; witch hat, devil horns, skeleton shirt, but it wasn't a full blown costume.

Figure out loose MNSSHP Itinerary - I don't want to be too rigid but I feel like I should have some sort of game plan.

This is kinda what I'm going for too. We know what character's we wanna see, what merch we wanna buy and which parade we're gonna watch.

Have DH make Daily Cheat Sheets. - This is (1) to-do for DH! Woo Hoo!

Do tell! Like a daily plan or something?

Do tell! Like a daily plan or something?
The first year DH made the brochure sized, so that I could slide it in and out of my cross body bag. And then the second year, he made it as a PDF that we could open up on our phone to see the general plans. And I love it.

He usually does it as one PDF, but I can only post one page at a time with the size limit...
Disney_2016_iPhone_Cover.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Friday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Saturday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Sunday.jpg
Disney_2016_iPhone_Monday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Tuesday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Wednesday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Thursday.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Friday_02.jpg Disney_2016_iPhone_Saturday_02.jpg

It's simple but highlights the main things! I always make the 1st version and then DH makes is prettier.

Nope it's still the same attraction. You'd just get your FP for night time.
Ha! I was thinking more on along the lines of my 40 attractions for turning 40!

Dollar Tree and the dollar spot at Target a
Ways have good glow stick stuff!
I just need to find time to go by myself!

What about Disney Bounding?
That is what I am kind of thinking... Just need a good idea that DH will agree with...

That's so cool!! I wanna do something like this!!

I just need to find time to go by myself!

Man, that is a tough one. could DH or you ma take the girls to a movie or something?

That is what I am kind of thinking... Just need a good idea that DH will agree with...

Always the trouble. You guys could do the original 4; Mickey, Minnie, Oswald and Ortensia. Idk, throwing stuff out there!

You guys could do the original 4; Mickey, Minnie, Oswald and Ortensia. Idk, throwing stuff out there!
Good Idea! DH does love Oswald...

@MissMaryQC - I am torn as to which parade to "plan" for for the MNSSHP. It def sounds like the later parade is the way to go but I am just not sure if the girls will make it till midnight! I would hate to miss it. Which makes me want to do the first parade but it seems like it is wasting time during the "prime" time to be sitting around waiting for the parade. Things to think about.

@MissMaryQC - I am torn as to which parade to "plan" for for the MNSSHP. It def sounds like the later parade is the way to go but I am just not sure if the girls will make it till midnight! I would hate to miss it. Which makes me want to do the first parade but it seems like it is wasting time during the "prime" time to be sitting around waiting for the parade. Things to think about.

Same boat! We're planning for parade number two, since we don't have any plans for the day, minus the party, I'm hoping my little night owl will be in a decent mood. We missed a lot in 2015 cause of poor planning and too much ride riding. Hoping this year won't be the same.

How do your kiddos do with late nights at home?

How do your kiddos do with late nights at home?
That is what I am worried about NOT good! My little ladies like there sleep!

We let them stay up for New Year's Eve this year. And they REALLLLLLY wanted to make it to midnight. So, we let them. They did really well till about 11:55 and then they just melted down! It was pretty comical, actually. New Year's hit and they both just started crying!

I keep telling myself that a night in MK is different than hanging out at the house trying to stay up late. And I do have us planned to just hang out at the resort that morning and afternoon. We have a late lunch reservation at Sanaa for 1:50, so we have a decent amount of time to rest and relax. And then we are basically doing the same thing the day after, to hopefully recoup after the late night.

I don't know how, but I missed your last few updates. First HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Welcome to the 40 club!!! Hope you had a great day.

Also oving your ears and shirts. Thanks for the heads up on the ELP shirt. I'm not sure me and my girls could squeeze in there :-) Speaking of sizing, too bad on Gwens' being to big, but Casey would be all over belting it and calling it a dress. She came home from camp today with an xl t-shirt they gave her and is insisting on wearing it tomorrow.

Congrats on fast pass day!!!! Your trip is so close. On your MNSSHP night, have you considered getting a FP for haunted mansion. I wouldn't want to miss it on party night and I'm presuming it may be more crowded than normal. Also, the safari at night is a big bust. Try and go around dusk and you're likely to see more activity, but still nothing compared to morning (at least in our experience)

Last edited:
Real Life Update!

I have been meaning to post this for awhile, but well, life has been busy!

We survived Gwen's Parties! First we had the family party which was a Unicorn Tea Party!
Gwen's Tea Party.jpg
It needed to be pink, pink and more pink... If you look at the front of the table, Gwen picked out a special birthday martini glass that had a little pink feather boa on the bottom and it said something about Being Fabulous!

Gwen's Cherry Cake.jpg
Gwen blowing out her candles. My mom made her this Cherry Cake that she was SUPER excited about!

Then the next day we had Gwen's "kid" party at a local cake decorating place.
Gwen's Unicorn Cake Party.jpg
Each kid got to decorate there own cake with instruction from the instructor. They had a great time. There was LOTS of giggling going on... The little girl next to Gwen on the left is her BFF from school and they are two peas in a pod.

Then.... we had Gwen's ACTUAL birthday, which was a Wednesday this year. And to her dismay, she HAD to go to camp on her birthday. But she survived. Gwen decided to open half of her presents before camp and the other half after.

So, in the morning she opened her gifts from Morgan.
Gwen's Birthday Gift_Morgan.jpg
A Cadoodles box! She was totally excited for this! Morgan picked out 3 nail polish bottles to put in it as well.

She also opened the "strange" shaped box next.
Gwen's Lava Lamp.jpg
She was WAY to excited about this lava lamp. And still is! Who knew that this would be so exciting?!?!

Off to camp she went, with a GIANT bag of chips & cookies to share with her "tribe" at camp. After camp, we had Pretzel Melts (her request) and cake.

Two days later was MY birthday and we spent the day shopping, had lunch with my girlfriend and then the pool. Then Saturday the adults had a fun day at some wineries in South Jersey. I wasn't expecting much and the 3 wineries we went to were great!
Winery.jpg
We had a great time!

After all of the fun, I was exhausted! Sunday we relaxed and did pretty much nothing. And now we are back to the grind of the week.

On to a Disney update....

I have been tweaking our fastpasses here and there. I was looking to possible move our Star Tours fastpass back and they are all gone! Which is crazy but i guess that is what happens when you have like 4 rides in a park!

But that is really all I have done. I am getting super excited but it is still too far away... sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!