Serenity Bay was Gross!

MUN

DIS Veteran
We were on the NYE cruise on the Wonder and we stopped at CC on NYD. The weather was warm (for us) and sunny and overall we had a great day. However, Serenity Bay was gross. There was loads of seaweed and a lack of water. You could do nothing but walk out into the water. If never got above one's ankles.

This was our 5th time at CC and we never ran into this before. I'm curious is anyone knows if this is a temporary issue, or something that is more long-term in nature.

The family beaches were great, and that's where we ended up spending most of our time

MUN

we have been there one time when it was covered in seaweed. never went in the water so I don't know how deep it got
this is in January

Attachments

• DSC_0640a.jpg
    DSC_0640a.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 285
We have been to SB many times in January and have never seen seaweed like this.... that is gross.

I know we have seaweed like this on our local beaches in Ft. Lauderdale and they have a truck thing that comes and picks it up and buries it back into the sand. How could Disney not have this machine???
I hate seaweed.

I have never seen that either. Crazy. Now many times it’s waste deep out past the sand bar. We usually go pretty far out from the beach. Usually a life guard tells us to go back. We say “it’s ok” we know it’s at our risk.

Yuck! We were there on the NYE cruise last year, and we didn't see anything like that, so it can't have been the time of year. The beach was lovely. We waded out to our hips and could see the little fish swimming around us and sand dollars on the ground, and it was basically perfect. I really hope it was just the crazy hurricane season.

This was definitely a low tide issue. We did the Christmas and NYE cruises on the Wonder this year. We were at CC on Christmas Day and the beaches and water level was ‘normal’. There was some seaweed in the water but it was not excessive. I went in the water and swam, but it was VERY cold on Christmas. The water level was very low on NYE day, but the bonus was the water was warm.

That seaweed has been there since at least September and the tides have been extremely low. We went on 3 cruises from Sept to Dec last year and it's been there each time.

We experienced the same in mid December. It was gross and nowhere near our past experiences on CC.

Many beach areas along the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico have been battling increases in seaweed. Cancun had it really bad a few years ago. There are theories about what is causing the increased amount but a solution has not been found. Unfortunately, even burying it is not sustainable. It's just nature at this point.

I grew up in South Florida and remember that getting tar on your feet (early to mid 80s) was totally normal and expected. I was a kid and though that was normal at the beach. I had no idea it was from Port Everglades and was a nasty byproduct of oil tankers and spills.

could have been a moon-low tide...did you check the tide schedule?

Out of curiosity, where do you find info on this? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything about tides specific to Castaway Cay. I know it's supposed to be a new moon during our cruise in May, but I'm not really sure how that would affect the tides.

checking the tide schedule for CC as well as sunset time (for selecting Palo dinner time, etc) is part of my precruise planning...

at least no one has asked Disney to "clean up" the seaweed...but I did chuckle out loud when I read the title of this thread...as a child growing up in RI, the tide schedule was part of our routine - and helped us know when to hold our nose since low tide could be quite "seaweed-y"

or when to go out and those quahogs. :) (Rhode Island reference)
we used to dig little necks outside potters cove...it was the kids' job so the adults could enjoy steamers in the evening!

Ah, stuffies..yum...only problem is that I live in Indiana now...
Thanks for the memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter