Sesame Place in Pennsylvania- a few questions

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I wasn't exactly sure where to place this thread, so please feel free to move or tell me where to repost if this isn't the place, but I figured since Sesame Place is owned by SeaWorld this might be my best bet to get a few questions answered.

We have a wedding in Pennsylvania in August and are planning to do Sesame Place with our then 21 month old while we are there. I had a few questions regarding tickets:

-I've heard they do flash sales and typically do a good sale in July- anyone remember what the sale was in past years? I signed up for their emails this morning to get notified of sales but want to make sure it's a good deal before I buy should one come up.

-Is the Elmo breakfast worth it? Not so much concerned with the food quality, we aren't picky, but did your little ones enjoy the characters/ experience? We'll probably do this regardless but would love to hear experiences. At least as of right now DS loves characters so I think he'd enjoy it.

-Is their photo package worth it or are they pretty good about using your own camera/ phone? If we did this, we just need to purchase one at checkout, right? Not one per ticket?

-Is their meal plan worth it?

- If we stay at one of their official hotels and get the 10% off one culinary purchase, can we use it for breakfast with Elmo or does it have to be quick service?

- Any one have experience with the magic que (one time?) Did you find you needed it? We are going the last week of August for just one day on a weekday, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I haven't been since I myself was a child so I have no clue what to expect crowds wise.

-If we do one at all I'll likely make it or order printables from Etsy, but if I order the Autograph book online when I buy my tickets, how do I get it? Do they mail it or do I get a voucher to pick it up when we arrive?

Thank you SO MUCH for any help. Even if you can only answer one or two questions it would be a big help!!!!

Last edited:
We tend to only go to Sesame Place to print out our passes, and not enter the park. Though my teen and I go in, mostly to just enjoy the water park.

With your young son, I would not worry about the magic ques. I'd wait and see if you do need it, you can buy it at many places in the park. It's not a very big park, but for a toddler, perfect.

They do give out sales every so often, but remember, the summer is when they have the busiest times, it's the warmest, so water park is more fun then. So if you see a price you can live with, buy it. It will never be cheaper when buying at the park. Since most of the local kids do not go back to school until after Labor Day, I'd say the park, even the last week of August, may be very busy.

If your toddler likes Elmo, then do the meal. I haven't done it in years, but if you are not picky, then sounds like a perfect character meal for you.

If you buy your tickets and autograph book, you may have to pick them up when you get to the park. There are many kiosks at the entrance, and you get your tickets and vouchers there, with your printed out confirmations. If you pay to have them shipped, then I would think you would get the book and live tickets. I've never done that, as I think their shipping fees are high, and since we live about 40 minutes away, it's easier for us to just use the kiosks.

Parking can not be that close, particularly if you are not early. And there is little shade in the parking lots.

I am not sure if your discount from the hotel can be used on a character meal. You can always call. I have found their customer service helpful.

Since you are going only one day, I'd also not bother with the photo package, unless you see it at a really good price. We've always just used our camera or phone, and they don't mind if you don't use their photographer. Though they may give you a ticket that you can use to view and purchase the photographer's pictures. We just throw those tickets out.

I would say the meal plan, unless discounted, is not worth it. If it's really hot, which it most likely will be, I find kids not that hungry. If you are paying for the character breakfast, then I'd see what he'd like to snack on the rest of the day you are there. But again, if you think you need the meal plan, you can buy it at most of the restaurants or other stores. We've never done it there. Only at the Florida parks, discounted, once time was a great deal, from a Black Friday deal.

I hope this helps. It is a cute park, which seems to be in the parking lot of the Mall.

And, I hope your family has a great time at Sesame Place this August.

We went years ago without doing any planning just because we happened to be in the area. We just got regular tickets but most of the sales that we saw were buy one day get the second free. I don't remember having long lines to deal with, but I do remember the parade was as bad as any Disney parade with getting spots early!

We have season passes, we often enough.

As for discounted tickets they have them all the time. I would say $35 is about what you should pay, your son doesn’t need a ticket.

The breakfast is fine, the characters are good, but to be honest the food stinks! We do it because it’s easy and we get to see the characters but we only do it once a season. I mean take the worst breakfast at wdw and it’s gourmet compared to here. If it changes before August I’ll let you know.

Honestly we usually eat outside the park before we go and then another meal there.

If you stay at an on-site hotel know it’s across the street and not really onsite, I would stay where you want unless they are letting you into the park early.

We haven’t done the magic que but we go often, we have debated it because the lines move slow like so slow! But we break it up with snacks and swimming and shows and have avoided getting it so far.

Skip the meal plan!

Photo key is not worth it for one day. They will use your phone as well.

I know when we have gotten the autograph book we order online we picked it up there, assuming it would be the same for you.

Did I miss anything? Also sending you a PM.

Hi all,

I wasn't exactly sure where to place this thread, so please feel free to move or tell me where to repost if this isn't the place, but I figured since Sesame Place is owned by SeaWorld this might be my best bet to get a few questions answered.

We have a wedding in Pennsylvania in August and are planning to do Sesame Place with our then 21 month old while we are there. I had a few questions regarding tickets:

-I've heard they do flash sales and typically do a good sale in July- anyone remember what the sale was in past years? I signed up for their emails this morning to get notified of sales but want to make sure it's a good deal before I buy should one come up.

-Is the Elmo breakfast worth it? Not so much concerned with the food quality, we aren't picky, but did your little ones enjoy the characters/ experience? We'll probably do this regardless but would love to hear experiences. At least as of right now DS loves characters so I think he'd enjoy it.

-Is their photo package worth it or are they pretty good about using your own camera/ phone? If we did this, we just need to purchase one at checkout, right? Not one per ticket?

-Is their meal plan worth it?

- If we stay at one of their official hotels and get the 10% off one culinary purchase, can we use it for breakfast with Elmo or does it have to be quick service?

- Any one have experience with the magic que (one time?) Did you find you needed it? We are going the last week of August for just one day on a weekday, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I haven't been since I myself was a child so I have no clue what to expect crowds wise.

-If we do one at all I'll likely make it or order printables from Etsy, but if I order the Autograph book online when I buy my tickets, how do I get it? Do they mail it or do I get a voucher to pick it up when we arrive?

Thank you SO MUCH for any help. Even if you can only answer one or two questions it would be a big help!!!!

I took DD5 twice last year - once in July and once in October. Here are answers to your questions along with lots of unsolicited advice.

There was a flash sale in July for $35 weekday tickets. Do not be tempted by the lesser sale with a mid-July end date. Tickets will not go back up to regular price.

DO NOT go on a Friday. Every summer camp in a tri-state area brings their kids to swim on Fridays. It's chaos. We waited 45 minutes for everything. The park actually reached capacity and closed on several Fridays in July and August.

You may want to consider the photo package. In July, they were very strict about where I could stand with my camera. There is a physical line on the ground you cannot cross. DD5 did a good job of looking at me instead of the photographer, but it might be tough to get your little one's attention away from the photographer. They also put a green screen behind Elmo, so that's all you get as backdrop if you don't buy the official photo. (In October, the photographer let me take a picture from wherever I wanted, but the photographer was still were not allowed to use my camera. They did ask the people behind me to take a picture for me.) On the plus side, they switch out the characters in the meet-and-greet pavilion every 30 minutes or so, so you can see a lot of different characters if that's a priority. You can also follow the characters from the backstage area by the carousel to their meeting location on Sesame Street and get a good spot in line.

I didn't think the meal plan pricing was all that great, plus the lines for food can be ridiculously long. You are allowed to bring in individual servings of snacks. We brought a lot of snacks and ate while waiting for rides.

You could probably do every ride your little one can ride in 1-2 hours, so I wouldn't bother with Magic Queue. Arrive at park opening. We did a lot in the first hour or two. Check the height restrictions and descriptions in advance. A lot of the rides are fast and scary for little ones. I assumed the Elmo hopping ride would be harmless since Elmo, but DD cried the entire time. The honker dinger derby sounded so carefree, but I was ill after one ride. The shows are cute. I recommend sitting on an aisle in the middle section. I was on an end section, and lots of people came in late and caused problems by trying to sit on the stairs. The October parade was fun; we just walked up as it began and looked up through the crowds. I'm not sure about the summer parade crowds since we were standing in a water slide ride through the parade.

The standard parking is right across the street. (The preferred is not worth the upcharge IMHO.) DD5 and I went back and forth to the car several times during the day, including to eat lunch in the one spot of shade along the sidewalk. The entire park is tiny, especially compared to WDW.

Almost everything is outside, including 2 of the 3 shows, so be prepared for heat. Poor Cookie Monster had to endure 97 degrees plus humidity. Elmo the Musical is indoors, but the queue stretches outside. One or two of the restaurants have indoor seating. Mr. Hooper's Emporium has an area of floor seating in front of a TV with Sesame Street clips on loop. We enjoyed a 30-minute rest there while waiting out a lightening storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!