Severe Osteoathritis Dude's Questions

FatCow

<font color=purple>FatCow is a dude<br><font color
I have osteoathritis and it's getting more and more severe by each day, plus now I have a minor heart condition. At this rate, by the time I'm going back to WDW I may not be able to walk for the entire day.

Now on to the questions:

1. Should I rent the wheelchair from the get go? I feel kinda like cheating if I still can walk but use a wheelchair.

2. When I still can walk, say earlier in the day, can I just park the wheelchair somewhere and line up like everybody else?

3. How are people tolerating people in wheelchair? I don't look disabled, I look very healthy, and in most cases so far (I don't know later in November) I'm still able to walk, even run short distances. I think I already know the answer for this question, but I just want to be sure.

4. Is there a special procedure I have to do in order to obtain a wheelchair (doctor's note etc?)

TIA.

This thread might help answer some of the questions but not all: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=722216

My understand is that being in a wheelchair does not give you special access to lines (or other perks) generally so there should be no reason to feel like you're cheating anyone out of anything.

Have a great trip!

FatCow said:
I have osteoathritis and it's getting more and more severe by each day, plus now I have a minor heart condition. At this rate, by the time I'm going back to WDW I may not be able to walk for the entire day.

Now on to the questions:

1. Should I rent the wheelchair from the get go? I feel kinda like cheating if I still can walk but use a wheelchair.
First of all consider that possibly you should be using an ECV and not a wheelchair. Most people do not realize it, but there ARE hills at WDW. Unless a person is very used to pushing a wc, it can get very tiring.

FatCow said:
2. When I still can walk, say earlier in the day, can I just park the wheelchair somewhere and line up like everybody else?
You can park the wc or ECV but why cause yourself to suffer with prolonged standing?

FatCow said:
3. How are people tolerating people in wheelchair? I don't look disabled, I look very healthy, and in most cases so far (I don't know later in November) I'm still able to walk, even run short distances. I think I already know the answer for this question, but I just want to be sure.
The answer is the people with you are aware you have disabilities. Your being in a wc or ECV will make the trip better for everyone in your group. Other people have no idea of your problems, you do not know them and will probably never meet them again; why do you even care what they think? (If anyone ever comments to me I {sweetly?!} respond that I will give them the ECV I own if they also take all my disabilities.)

FatCow said:
4. Is there a special procedure I have to do in order to obtain a wheelchair (doctor's note etc?)
No. We do tend to recommend off-site rental of an ECV rather than from Disney. See the FAQ which is about Item#4 in the disABILITIES main index.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter