~~~~ Sew, help me... A bittersweet "Epic Girls Trip"... January 2018! ~~~~ UPDATE 1/7!!~~

In trip news... I was able to get my Steamboat Willie bag clean! :woohoo: I was really nervous, because after my hand washing, it still looked terrible. So, I thought, what the heck... Gonna throw it in with a white load (no bleach yet) and see if that does the trick... Sure enough - SBW is nice n' clean now. Yay!!! I was almost thinking I was going to have to resort to remaking him. ::yes::
That's good to know that machine washing didn't hurt your bag. I guess all those stitches really held the fabric down. :)

How cool that you were able to see your mom’s friends. I can only imagine the emotion toll it took.

I’m not sure I mentioned it but we added a day to our trip and now have southwest credit to use. As of right now we are staying at 3 resort for our trip in 4 different rooms. I’m hoping something opens up so we can stay at 2 resorts.

When DH and I get back from Copenhagen, I’ll figure out what planning DH has done, and switch some stuff.

I need a vacation after this past month.

Keep up your good work with the eating and exercise. You're doing great :hug:

I don't think it's bad of you to hope that the car V is going to take a look at isn't right for her since she will have more money next week and then will be able to get a better car.

How great that you got our Steamboat Willie bag clean. :woohoo:

The only thing that tells us it's fall here today are the colors outside. The temperature is summer temperature at 49.1ºF. That is crazy when we're in October.
Today it's one year since I went and picked up my new car. Time has gone by fast.
I was at my therapy riding class today. It went well, but my body hurts since it's several months since the last time I sat on a horse.

Now I only have one last travel trip left. I'm going to Oslo in late November to meet some friends. Now I don't have any other trips planned until summer 2018 when the plan is to go to Germany by plane and drive around there in a rental car and visit Berlin.
No plans are set for 2019, but in 2020 I'm going to Seattle, WA and on a small road trip in the USA and then fly to Alaska some where. I haven't figured out where in Alaska I'm going to yet. But I still have time to figure that out :)

What a wonderful blessing to reconnect with someone who knew your Mom so well!! That is truly an incredible meant-to-be scenario. How amazing for you to be able to still learn new stories and come to feel closer to your Mom even so many years since she passed. :lovestruc

Love that you found a way to help your Dad get to his church, and I fully agree--having a church family can be so enriching, and it's wonderful you've found a way to make that happen for him!!

Not sure how I fell behind again....darn Dis notifications! Hopefully I am back to staying on top of it!

That's good to know that machine washing didn't hurt your bag. I guess all those stitches really held the fabric down.

Well, they all are machine washable, they always have been... :thumbsup2 I personally prefer them unwashed, as they look more crisp (to me) - my SBW bag though turned out great and looks excellent after being washed. :)

How cool that you were able to see your mom’s friends. I can only imagine the emotion toll it took.

I’m not sure I mentioned it but we added a day to our trip and now have southwest credit to use. As of right now we are staying at 3 resort for our trip in 4 different rooms. I’m hoping something opens up so we can stay at 2 resorts.

When DH and I get back from Copenhagen, I’ll figure out what planning DH has done, and switch some stuff.

I need a vacation after this past month.

It was very emotional - but it was good. Very good. :lovestruc

Wahoo!!! That is awesome! Yikes - 4 rooms though! :eek: Hopefully you can get it to be a little more seamless for you! ::yes::

Have a great trip! :woohoo:

Agreed - I think we all could use a vacation! :hug:

Keep up your good work with the eating and exercise. You're doing great

I don't think it's bad of you to hope that the car V is going to take a look at isn't right for her since she will have more money next week and then will be able to get a better car.

How great that you got our Steamboat Willie bag clean.

The only thing that tells us it's fall here today are the colors outside. The temperature is summer temperature at 49.1ºF. That is crazy when we're in October.
Today it's one year since I went and picked up my new car. Time has gone by fast.
I was at my therapy riding class today. It went well, but my body hurts since it's several months since the last time I sat on a horse.

Now I only have one last travel trip left. I'm going to Oslo in late November to meet some friends. Now I don't have any other trips planned until summer 2018 when the plan is to go to Germany by plane and drive around there in a rental car and visit Berlin.
No plans are set for 2019, but in 2020 I'm going to Seattle, WA and on a small road trip in the USA and then fly to Alaska some where. I haven't figured out where in Alaska I'm going to yet. But I still have time to figure that out

Thanks Lillian - I have been concentrating hard on this part of my life. :lovestruc

Well - she bought it... See below. :)

WOW!!! It's been a year already since your new car! That DID go by quickly!

It does take a bit to get used to riding, hopefully you don't stay sore long. Even though I grew up on horses - there is no way I could sit in a saddle now and not have pain for days! ::yes::

Keep me updated on your Germany plans and your dates... Josh and I will be in the Netherlands in May/June and looking at possibly heading towards Germany... :scratchin I would love to see you again! :lovestruc If we can make it work. ::yes::

What a wonderful blessing to reconnect with someone who knew your Mom so well!! That is truly an incredible meant-to-be scenario. How amazing for you to be able to still learn new stories and come to feel closer to your Mom even so many years since she passed.

Love that you found a way to help your Dad get to his church, and I fully agree--having a church family can be so enriching, and it's wonderful you've found a way to make that happen for him!!

Not sure how I fell behind again....darn Dis notifications! Hopefully I am back to staying on top of it!

It was really neat... Lots of tears by both of us... For me it was good tears - just to have that connection to my mom again.

I am glad too - just any way that I can make him feel more at home here and to bring joy to his life... :lovestruc

Ha - I am always behind everywhere! I am not sure how I kept up as well as I did for so many years... Eventually I had to lower my expectations of myself, and I just try to pop in when I can. Terrible, I know. :lovestruc

*********************************************************************************************************

I had a busy day yesterday!

I did work out right away, as usual. ::yes::

Then I worked for a few hours.

I went to town with V and we had lunch with Dad... V is fighting the cold that Allison had last week (I am just waiting to get it myself). He is doing good, although he also said he wasn't feeling well yesterday... When I asked him what was wrong, he couldn't pinpoint exactly what didn't feel right. I plan to have lunch with him today, so I'll investigate further...

After, V and I had some time to kill... So, we went to Target...

She found a new shirt for our trip... She has a new/old love for Star Wars - Josh is a big Star Wars fan... And now Thomas is a HUGE 2nd generation Star Wars fan... And V is also a HUGE Vincent Van Gogh fan - and he favorite painting is "Starry NIght" - she has had this painting on her bedroom wall for her entire life, and of course been to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam... and just a few other meaningful things in her life... So, this shirt was destined to be hers! LOL

FCC8A9C2-AA78-4895-99B6-C274A1D788C2.jpg

I also purchased my new trip journal and a new set of pens - something I do for each trip. There is NO way I could write TRs if I didn't keep a journal... Sometimes it's months before I get to the end of our trip - and I'd never remember it all. :scratchin

045FF373-7D5A-4217-BE56-763A5BBA0055.jpg

Anyways... We waited around in town for Allison to get off of work... We jockeyed cars around a little bit... I took Allison's car home, the girls took my car to Josh's work, then they all rode together to go look at a car for V. After taking it out for a test drive and inspecting it (sadly it was too far away to take to our mechanic - so that's why Josh went with - though he isn't fantastic with cars - he's way more knowledgeable than the girls) - V decided she wanted to buy it. So, following in our "debt free" footsteps - she paid cash for her first car. A 2003 VW Jetta... It's a very nice car - though it does have some front end damage from 2 different fender-benders (strategically not shown in pictures :lmao: ) - I am not sure if she will repair the damage? Or if she will leave it? The one front fender may be difficult when the snow starts to pack in the wheel wells this winter? Anyways - super proud of her! I definitely feel much safer with her in the VW, vs. Allison in her Honda... The VW just feels more sturdy. ::yes::

17076E1A-1080-4AD7-A189-86FF134B845D.jpg

Probably the best part, for me, is now I can go anywhere I please because I am not sharing a vehicle with anyone. :woohoo:

That's all for news today. ::yes::

Today - I will be working in the morning.

I plan to go have lunch with Dad.

Then I am going with V to our mechanic to have her car inspected anyways... Just so she knows if there is anything that needs to be done on it right away, or soon.

I checked out the entire Outlander series on Starz from the library - and all of the seasons came in at once. :eek: Allison and I are going to binge watch that starting tonight and working our way through it this weekend. :woohoo: Super excited about this - as I read the entire (gigantic) book series over last winter. :lovestruc It's, by far, the best series I have ever read, and I have read a lot! ::yes:: Highly recommend.

Anyways - I hope you all have an amazing day! Sending prayers and pixie dust out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

Way to go,V!! I had a Jetta for awhile. I loved it.

I'm also a HUGE Outlander fan. DH's late mom turned me onto the series about 16 years ago. I have multiple copies of all of the books so I can lend them out. The DVDs are on my Amazon wish list, too. I got the first season as birthday gifts...I'm hoping for the rest for Christmas.

Have a great day!

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday.

Congratulations to V with her new car. I hope the mechanic doesn't find anything huge that needs to be fixed.

I don't know our dates for Germany yet. I will try to convince Ulf to go in late May / Early June, but I'm not sure it will work out.

V is simply adorable :) I just love her cute haircut!!! Congratulations to her on the new car (and new must-have shirt!!) AND the fact that she cash flowed the whole thing!! What a smart girl!

I LOVE your idea of keeping a journal while on the trip....I learned (the hard way!) on my last trip that I hardly remembered anything the longer we were home. My scribbled notes didn't even make sense after awhile!! I'm on the lookout for a cute new journal and pens (woo hoo!! an excuse to buy new stationery stuff...so addicting!)

How exciting for V to buy her first car and of course a proud mom moment for you. Doesn't it just make your heart feel so good when one of your children accomplish great things.

I've never read the Outlander books but I do love to read so I'll have to check that out.

Victoria must be very excited to have her own car. I hope the mechanic gives it the thumbs up. :thumbsup2

The back seat looks nice and roomy.

The is! It definitely has some work that needs to be done on it to make it safe to drive - so for the time being, and my Momma protective instincts, she is driving my car... It just makes me feel better. I will talk about it more below. :)

It is a nice car though and I hope it is a good car for her.

Way to go,V!! I had a Jetta for awhile. I loved it.

I'm also a HUGE Outlander fan. DH's late mom turned me onto the series about 16 years ago. I have multiple copies of all of the books so I can lend them out. The DVDs are on my Amazon wish list, too. I got the first season as birthday gifts...I'm hoping for the rest for Christmas.

Have a great day!

I really like it - it's a nice car. :) I'll talk more about it below.

I am loving the TV series so far, I started it last night and made it to episode 4... Gonna continue it today. I will likely go back and read all of the novels over this winter again - I loved them so much!

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday.

Congratulations to V with her new car. I hope the mechanic doesn't find anything huge that needs to be fixed.

I don't know our dates for Germany yet. I will try to convince Ulf to go in late May / Early June, but I'm not sure it will work out.

Thanks!

There are definitely a few issues with the car that need to be addressed before this momma deems it "safe to drive"... I'll talk more about that below. :)

Sounds good - it's OK if it doesn't work out - I just thought I would mention that we will be in the area, in case you happen to be there too. ::yes:: We will have lots of travel funds in our budget in the coming years - so we will be back! :lovestruc

V is simply adorable I just love her cute haircut!!! Congratulations to her on the new car (and new must-have shirt!!) AND the fact that she cash flowed the whole thing!! What a smart girl!

I LOVE your idea of keeping a journal while on the trip....I learned (the hard way!) on my last trip that I hardly remembered anything the longer we were home. My scribbled notes didn't even make sense after awhile!! I'm on the lookout for a cute new journal and pens (woo hoo!! an excuse to buy new stationery stuff...so addicting!)

I agree - the new hair cut suits her very well, I love it too! I'll talk more about V's new car below... It has some issues we need to address. Sigh. Very proud of her for cash flowing it though - for both of my girls - financially - they are so far ahead of what I was at that age. ::yes::

I totally have to keep a journal... There are times when I am writing my TRs - I am like "oh, yah - that DID happen"... LOL I'd never remember a thing. You should see my "trip writing short-hand" though, it's pretty comical... It's amazing that I can even understand what I write. I just don't want to spend our entire trip writing though - as updating the journal is a process and takes a lot of time... I try to be efficient with it and quick. :scratchin

How exciting for V to buy her first car and of course a proud mom moment for you. Doesn't it just make your heart feel so good when one of your children accomplish great things.

I've never read the Outlander books but I do love to read so I'll have to check that out.

I am super excited for her! The mechanic did discover a few safety issues, which need to be addressed asap - so she is back to driving my car for the time being... I'll go into more detail about that below. ::yes:: I am very proud of both of the girls though - both of them are so far ahead, financially - and just financial common sense wise - of what I was at that age... It makes my heart happy knowing that they are smart about $$. ::yes::

I think you must - I just love them!!! They are a bit graphic and some of the intimate parts are very detailed... excellent books - will be reading them again this winter! :lovestruc

***************************************************************************************************

Car saga...

OK - so first off - I am going to do an update on V's car...

In the above picture - it doesn't show that V's car was in a fender bender - so the front passenger quarter panel is a bit bruised... I noticed, as we were running errands in it the other day - that the front tire seemed to be slanted in at the top. :( Since we were on our way to the mechanic, I had him look at it and sure enough - it needs a new tie-rod and a new strut... Both are damaged. The Jetta also needs an oil change, a front end alignment and a whole new exhaust system... I think that's it for right now? :scratchin So, we are dropping the Jetta off at the mechanic on Tuesday - and having all of the above repairs done - except for the exhaust system... V is paying for all of this (it IS her car after all) and that is all she can afford to do, at the moment. The exhaust system will have to wait until her next pay day. But, at least, after Wednesday - her car will be safe for her to drive... At the moment, I don't feel like it's safe, so we are back to sharing a vehicle for the time being. ::yes::

Then... Poor Allison - LOL... The part of the story I didn't tell you all. Allison found this car for V... Allison has wanted a Jetta for her entire driving life-time... So, Allison is a bit envious of V's car. ::yes:: Allison's car is "bare bones" nothing... No power anything - her windows are crank windows even - no cruise control... Literally nothing. LOL And V's car is loaded... Power moon roof, heated seats - everything. And Allison is like "I work hard, I make good $$, how can V have the car I've always wanted?" LOL

And to be quite honest - even with the damage to V's car... I "feel" SO MUCH SAFER in V's car, than I do in Allison's... Allison's just *feels* cheap... Does that make sense?

Anyways... Allison and I were out running errands yesterday, and we drove past this cute little VW Passat for sale on the side of the road... And we passed it again on our way home and I saw the sign said $950... So, Allison turned around and we went back to look at it. It has a bit of front end damage (LOL, seems to be a reoccurring theme...) - but not as much as on V's Jetta. It's also being sold by one of Allison's friends from high schools father (did you get that? LOL)... So she knows the family and the family knows her. Anyways... The Passat will also need a bit of work - from what we can tell... It will need new tires before winter for sure... We think it also needs a new exhaust - or something - it's a bit loud. She hasn't purchased it yet - but we have "dibs" and are taking it to our mechanic on Monday to have him go through it.

Allison would then sell her current car and recoup the $$ from that. Obviously, she will pay cash for the car and all of the repairs that need to be done. ::yes::

So, it looks like both of the girls might be driving VWs in the near future... Both are very nice cars. I guess we can't expect to get cars that need no repairs in their -$1k price range. ::yes::

In other exciting news... Allison paid off her giant student loan from beauty school yesterday! :woohoo: I am sure all of you remember this fiasco... ::yes:: So, Allison went to beauty school last fall... Literally 1 year ago - she started on Nov 1. By the New Year, she was over it and done... Sigh. So, when she quit - she lost all of her grants and any financial aid she received (which was almost nothing, we make too much) - and she had the entire balance of her school tuition due, with out a certificate to show for it. Frustrating, but what ever. We went into the school Administrator's office and asked him how we go about paying off her balance... Rather than the entire balance being due immediately - which is was... He was gracious enough to work with her, and he gave her 1 year to pay it off. It was almost $7k! :eek: That was a LOT of $$ for a girl who barely made anything. So, we came home, I put her on a strict budget and she started working... barely paying the huge loan payment on her Caribou pay check... She moved up in jobs - there was one month in there where she was jobless and had to live on her savings... eventually landed a good job in June, where she could earn bonuses and overtime... And she started cranking out payments to this loan like you wouldn't believe... There were two months where she paid almost $2k each! The official loan pay off date was April 1, 2018... and she paid it off in full yesterday! :woohoo: In proper ceremony - I encouraged her to pay it off in person... So, again, we went into the administrator's office, and she wrote out a check to the school, paid it off in full. She was physically moved to tears, the Administrator told her "Allison, you are a rare girl!" I am so proud of her - she did this all on her own! The only thing I did was the initial set up her budget and manage the actual paperwork of it... She did all of the work, made all of the $$, and paid all of the bills. Proud doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. 19 years old, and instead of ignoring the problem and avoiding it, making the school sue her for their $$ - she took it head-on and crushed it! :woohoo: This was a powerful lesson that I had to stand back and watch - which wasn't easy... But I KNEW this would change the course of her financial life forever and I KNEW it had to be done.

So, now Allison has one tiny student loan left to pay off... She hopes to have that one completely obliterated before we leave on our trip - though it's going to be close now... If she decides to buy the Passat. Once that is done, she intends to start saving like crazy to pay cash for college in the fall. :woohoo:

BBAC44E5-674A-4F3A-A2E1-20C18E73D959.jpg

No news from me. LOL

Today, I am taking Dad to church...

Then I am going to be sloth-like for the remainder of the weekend... Watching the Outlander series. ::yes:: It's highly likely that I won't move from the couch at all.

I hope you all have a nice weekend! Prayers and pixie dust to all! :grouphug:

D~

Sounds like V's car is going to be OK when she get the things fixed that needs to be fixed on it.

How exciting that Allison is looking at a new car. Crossing my fingers for her that the mechanic doesn't find too many things that is wrong with the car she want to by.

Congratulations to Allison on paying off her student loan :woohoo:
She has done an incredible job paying it off so fast.

Here it's still fall and today it was 42.8ºF outside and a little rain. It looks like the sunny weather we have had all fall is coming to an end. Ulf has to get the tires on my car changed next week because now the temperatures are getting closer and closer to freezing point.

We will see what happens with my trip to Germany next year and when I will be there.

Yesterday Ulf made a first draft of our road trip route for our USA trip in 2020. I don't know how to show you the picture of the route here on the DIS now that photobucket doesn't work here anymore.

You are teaching your girls some awesome financial lessons. They are doing great with it, too.

I hope Allison's Passat works out for her. Is it loaded with extras like the Jetta?

Congrats to Allison for almost being debt free at such a young age.
It's kind of funny that both girls found cars with front end damage. It's good that V.'s car will be fixed and safe to drive. Hopefully Allison can buy her car , too.
I'm glad your bag came out of the wash okay. I know what you mean about liking the feel of an unwashed bag. It just doesn't look or feel the same after washing.
I hope your visit with your dad went well yesterday.
Nothing much is going on here. I'm off this week I'm trying to use up vacation before Christmas. I'm taking my car in for new tires before it gets cold and someone's coming out to fix the dryer on Wednesday. Apparently, there's a a lot people with old dryers that need fixing.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Liz

Wow! I'm gone a week and so much happens! So glad you could meet with your Mom's friend. I think you have a wonderful and rare relationship with your girls--I think more girls are at odds with their Mom's until they are a bit older. So not really getting to "know" your Mom really isn't that unusual and with her health issues, totally understandable. Good luck with finding more of her history.

Glad you Dad got to church and it looks like they will take him as one of their own and watch out for him. It will give him another avenue for friends and relationships in his new town!

V being able to buy her own car is amazing! The alignment is mandatory when the tie-rods are replaced, or you will ruin the tires (ask me how we know ;) )

Glad Allison has paid off her big loan and is maybe getting a new car also. That was an expensive lesson to learn, but she will carry that lesson with her and it will definitely help her with her future financial choices.

Looking forward to your wardrobe choices. Glad the SBW bag got clean and ready for the trip!

Congrats to your daughter on the loan payoff! That has to be a huge weight off her shoulders. Sadly many in that situation would end up defaulting on the loan. Expensive lesson but the experience may end up saving her much more money in the future. V's car looks really sharp! Hope it serves her well. And Allison might have a VW too. With the work it needs, maybe the price is negotiable? When I look for cars, I like them to feel solid and not tinny :car:Love the mug - I need to give one to my sons - ha! The SW shirt looks like a work of art. Nice find. I need to look thru my Disney shirts soon. Our trip is in 47 days! I recently bought a limited edition shirt on eBay - The Great Movie Ride That's a Wrap. It was sold to AP's after the ride closed. Paid way too much for it but I'm glad I bought it :love: GMR was a favorite of mine. Hope you have a good week!

Awesome that your girls are both going to behind safe wheels, and at no extra expense to Mom and Dad!!! :)

You are truly preparing them for financial success the rest of their lives, which is awesome!! My Mom and Dad really did this for me, too, but somehow my brother escaped the valuable lessons--he has had credit card debt since the opening of his first credit card it would seem!!

I hope I do as good of a job instilling these lessons with Jimmy as you have with your girls. Way to go, Mama!

Just chiming to say how proud I am of your daughters. Love Victoria's first car!! Glad you have a reliable mechanic to make it as safe as can be. VW's are good cars. I always insisted on every imaginable air bag for any used cars purchased for our sons. Hubby was eyeing a Jetta for Ariece that a fellow officer was selling but he wanted way too much $ for it. And Allison!! She may get her own VW! And I cannot tell you how full my heart is and so proud of your Allison for paying off that huge loan. That is a lot of money for a young girl to pay back. And then paying for their Disney trip as well!! This is what determination and savings does, and you taught them well.

Hope your Dad enjoyed church yesterday! Wonderful start to the week for him.

I am following along and stopping by when I can!! Have a beautiful week Dorine.

A huge, huge, huge congratulations to Allison on paying off that student loan. And a HUGE kudos to you and Josh for setting such a great example for both of the girls. Both paying cash for their cars, taking care of the repairs, not incurring additional debt -- that is so fabulous. Yea!!! Frustrating that V's new car needs so much work, but good for her for having a plan in place to pay it in cash. I totally understand your feeling about the car being safe for her.

I'm still debating about which debt to pay off first -- the one that will make the biggest monthly income impact, or the one with the smallest balance, or the one with the highest interest rate. DH and I disagree on which route to take...but since I'm the one who handles most of the bills, I am thinking I should just decide and be done with it. LOL

Mark and the girls ran a 5K on Saturday. Andrew and I were the cheering section...his knee is still injured and I just wasn't up to walking the 5K in the frigid (40 degree) temperatures. So we were the cheering section. It was Mark's first ever 5K and I think he's hooked now...I asked him for Christmas gift ideas and the few ideas he gave me all have something to do with running. After the 5K Mark and Andrew went back to MIL's house and started putting in her tile backsplash in the kitchen, and MIL, the girls and I went to a home expo. I was hoping to find some inspiration to help me pick flooring, countertops, and paint for the house but I think I came away more confused than I was before. I don't have an eye for combining colors and textures and I don't want to do anything super trendy, but I just can't figure out what I want in terms of the floor and countertops. I know I want gray for the countertops, but I'm not sure which shade of gray (or white with gray in it...or black with gray in it...?). Cabinets will all be white, and I'm torn on the color for the walls...a soft gray, or perhaps just white? And then the floors...Mark wanted slate floors but that will show everything...so I was thinking dark wood (actually "luxury vinyl plank" or tile that looks like wood"), but our dining set is dark wood and I don't want them to totally blend together...so then I was thinking about "regular" medium tone wood but I don't know that I want to mix regular wood with gray...so I'm just super confused. Mark suggested finding a design center or something like that and just going in and paying for a consultation, so I might do that. Any suggestions? I don't want to go with anything super trendy, but I do love, love, love gray...and I'm not a brown/tan/beige person, so I'd like to avoid those colors. So many decisions!

I am loving the sneak peek of the bags...I think I've decided that, when I get our debt all paid off (other than the house), I'm going to reward myself with one of your gorgeous bags. :-)

Just catching up and wanted to say how brilliantly your girls are doing paying off student loans and buying cars and remaining debt free! You are right to be so proud of them and yourselves for setting such great example and being so supportive.
Oh and I love the shirt :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter