~~~~ Sew, it seams this trip wasn't the adventure we had planned! ~~ January 2018! ~~ COMPLETE 5/6!

Wow how rude was that woman at Ohana. I don't understand people who get so upset over sick people not being bunkered down in their home. Life goes on. It's not like she was puking all over the place.

Love your reports! It's great to see Moms having fun with their teens! My son and I also have a wonderful time in Disney!!

Hi D! It has been a LONG time since I have been on the DIS, but I am back. I am really enjoying reading your TR.:goodvibes Your outfits looked amazing as always!
I am glad to hear you and your family are doing well.:lovestruc
Can't wait to read more of your TR!:goodvibes

Monday, January 22, 2018

Day 7 Part I ~ Magic Kingdom​

I was up at 5am to shower and get ready for the day.

Victoria was not doing well at all... I called our insurance company to find out where our nearest In-Network Urgent Care was, they gave me all of the information and passed it on to Cindy to see if there was any way she could take us there at some point this day. The amazing friend that she is - she was able to do it at 11, which worked our perfectly for us.

Allison and I decided to head over to MK to have our traditional PPO breakfast at Crystal Palace, leaving V at SoG to rest.

It was a beautiful morning, and there is just nothing better to me, than to walk into MK with the sun sparkling off of the buildings. :lovestruc Though - I felt terrible that V couldn't enjoy it with us.

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

We were able to grab a couple of Photopass pictures with my Dumbo outfit that I was so excited to wear, and was saving for our last day.

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

Both Allison and I enjoyed our CP breakfast very much - as usual... The food was fantastic!

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4583.png

Before we knew it - the characters started coming at a steady pace...

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

Sadly - we missed out on Eeyore because we were up getting food... We decided not to even worry about it - as we have done this breakfast and met these characters so many times.

At some point during the meal - I'd asked our waitress if they had any REAL butter... She came back about 5 minutes later with a block - I swear it was probably a half pound worth. :lmao: There was no way I needed quite that much. LOL

IMG_4582.jpg

I was texting V a little bit while we were eating... She begged me to sneak her one last Mickey Waffle... So we did.

IMG_4603.jpg

I had several Dis-meets planned for today, probably the most I had ever scheduled before. I had texted all of them this morning to let them know I'd be in MK at opening, and that was about it - I wasn't sure if I would make it back or not.

I was able to make ONE Dismeet work, and it was my meet with LeAnn... Back when I was first learning how to sew, and I was able to devote a lot of time to sewing for the Big Gives us Disboutiquers used to do (we still do this, but it's VERY limited) - I made a bag for LeAnn, I do believe this was the very first bag I had ever made for anyone other than myself... So, I think this was my 2nd bag. LOL I've been friends with LeAnn for many many years on FB, and I've watched her son Evan grow up... He was just a little guy when we did the Big Give. It was a true honor and very magical to finally meet my friend! :lovestruc

IMG_4599.jpg

And our nails coordinated!

IMG_4600.jpg

After parting ways with LeAnn and Ev (and her mom)... Allison and I went to Guest Services... We had a late lunch ADR at BoG that I wanted to cancel - a CM told us, if we went to GS in person - they could cancel it and waive the fee. It was a bummer, but I knew - IF we did make it back to MK today - it wouldn't be until way later in the day.

We walked out of MK at 9:15am.

Monorail ----> Poly ----> Walk

Link to url=https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...pdates-4-15.3662098/page-16#post-59183574]Day 7 Part II[/url]

D~​

Last edited:
Day 7 Part II

Allison and I made it back to the resort in decent time - as most people were headed the opposite direction as we were.

We arrived to find this...

IMG_4606.jpg

Poor girl. :cry:

We woke her up and she walked in a zombie stupor out to Cindy's car...

We arrived at Urgent Care at 11:30 am... We were told upon check in that it was roughly a 1.5 hour wait! :angry: Since I was there with her, and I was starting to "think" I wasn't feeling well... I also checked myself in - so we could both be tested for the flu.

IMG_4608.png

I took a few notes on our experience at this clinic... I will say - it was VERY run down... For being ON Disney property - other than the pictures on the wall - there was nothing "Disney" about it. I get that they aren't Disney... but for cryin' out loud - it could have used an update and a good cleaning a decade ago.

Absolutely NO HIPPA laws were enforced... All of our health information, to include insurance info and our reason for being seen was NOT private at all... People (everyone else waiting to be seen) were crowded closely around us the whole time. I was honestly appalled. There were only 2 open seats in the entire waiting room!

IMG_4610.jpg

The above photo pretty much sums up our entire trip to urgent care on Disney property... Under the heart - V is giving Allison "the finger"... This photo cracks me up a little bit - because well... It's so Un-Disney. I get that this place is NOT under Disney's wing - but it really should be... So many people have to utilize it and Disney could make it so much easier and user friendly. And clean.

Meanwhile... Cindy took Allison to Disney Springs. This was SO SWEET of her, so Allison's last day wasn't totally wasted.

Eventually - V was so miserable, we went outside to wait... V ended up laying down on the picnic table...

IMG_4611.jpg

At the 2 hour wait mark, I went in to ask at the desk (again, no HIPPA laws enforced this time either) where we were in line... According to the girl, we were "next"... So, I texted Allison to let her know they could probably start making their way back to the U.C. & I went outside to rouse V from the picnic table to go inside to wait - so we could hear them call us. 9 (NINE) people later (and another hour), we were finally called back... Again, no HIPPA laws were enforced... All of mine & V's medical information was public to all of the people sitting there - where we were weighed and all of our vitals were taken (V's temp was 102.1 and my temp was 99.8) - literally in another waiting room in the back. At this point - I was a lot annoyed, angry, and just DONE with the whole thing.

FINALLY, I was SHOCKED that we got our own private room to wait in... I was starting to think that the Florida health care system was more of a communal thing.

We were both given a flu test... We were told they'd have the results in 10 minutes.

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

ONE HOUR later, the PA came back in and told us that V tested positive for Influenza B, and I tested negative. We were both given a prescription for Tamiflu - mine was precautionary - as I was feeling OK with just a slight tickle in my throat at this point.

FIVE HOURS after checking in at the clinic - at 4:30 pm we walked out the door. FIVE HOURS! :angry: Absolutely absurd!

Monitoring the weather at home as well, we were having a blizzard, and all runways at MSP had been closed.

It seemed, between V's positive flu diagnosis and the blizzard, God wanted us to stay in Florida, rather than flying home the next day.

Cindy took us to the local Walgreens to drop off our Tamiflu prescriptions - we were told it was a 20 minute wait... V hadn't eaten all day (she never ate the waffle we brought her), so Cindy took us through the McD's drive-thru - and V ordered chicken nuggets and a strawberry shake.

We picked up our prescriptions...

Cindy dropped us off at SoG at 5:30 - We said our sad goodbyes for the trip - barely touching, because we didn't want to get her sick too. We felt terrible that she had been well exposed with us, and didn't know it. Not to mention all of the other people we may have exposed. I guess, I always thought the "flu" was a vomiting/stomach thing - it never once occurred to me that other types are respiratory - which is what we had. :(

We settled V into bed...

Since I was feeling fine, really... And I'd tested negative for the flu, Allison and I decided to head to MK for a couple of hours... Stopping at the Poly for a quick dinner - we were both quite hungry, not eating anything since breakfast that morning... I had the Shrimp Asian Noodle bowl.

IMG_4614.jpg

Monorail ----> MK ----> Train ----> Fantasyland arrival at 7pm.

IMG_4615.jpg

We started Lara's Disney stuffie collection (Thomas has the Pooh characters)... Lara will be getting the Fab 5+... So, we started her off with Minnie and Mickey. :lovestruc

We met Daisy and Minnie in their tent, and took photos.

IMG_4652.jpg

And then we rode VotLM...

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

We grabbed one last Photopass picture...

IMG_4654.jpg

And we exited MK for the final time this trip at 7:50pm. See Ya Real Soon...

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

We were able to see (not) Wishes from the Monorail as we pulled away... Kind of a sad ending to a trip that was supposed to be awesome. I was so disappointed and so disheartened that V was cheated out of this trip.

We exited the Monorail at the TTC and took the SoG bus back to the resort.

We did most of our packing, and we were in bed at 9:15pm with 14,255 steps.​

Link to Day 8 & Final Thoughts

D~

Last edited:
What a sad ending to your trip. Well now you all have a good excuse to take another WDW trip.

That urgent care clinic sounds horrible. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there. I hope V. starts to feel better soon.
Your food at Crystal palace looks really good. I don't know why the don't have real butter out. It's so much better than the fake stuff.
Liz

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Day 8, Part 1 ~ Departure day

I was up at 3:55am - with coffee.

Looking at our disaster of a room - we did our final packing.

IMG_4628.jpg

I told V that morning to "fake it till you make it"... With several face masks in hand, we headed out the door of room 208 for the final time, to meet our towncar...

IMG_4631.jpg

Our car pulled up at 5:25am... Our last view of SoG as we pulled away...

IMG_4633.jpg

V was doing pretty well this morning...

IMG_4632.jpg

We made good time to the airport, our car dropped us at 5:55am...

We checked our bags, the heaviest was mine, weighing in at 48#.

We went through security - were I was lucky enough to get my (now standard) pat-down.

Allison went through a different line than V and I did - so she was an additional 10 minutes behind us.

We boarded the correct Fake-O-Rail... and we stopped to purchase waters and snacks for our flight.

We sat near our gate - trying to stay away from other people as much as we could. V is still doing remarkably well - and I was starting to feel crummy.

IMG_4635.png

We boarded our flight at 7:30am, at this point V was wearing a mask. We were pretty far back in the plane, row 22... These seats were very uncomfortable, very hard and VERY close together (Sun Country) - which is NOT how our flight down was.

IMG_4637.jpg

V had probably the most miserable flight home ever... There was a kid behind us who continued to kick her seat for 3 hours... Because of how she was feeling, her ears never popped (and this is something she is very sensitive to anyways) - so she cried almost the whole flight home... It was awful for her!

Coming in over Minneapolis - we got a bird's eye view of the blizzard from the day before... It sure wasn't the palm trees we left behind.

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

After landing and heading to our gate, I took a picture of how they clear snow on the runways in MN... As some of our runways were still closed.

IMG_4647.jpg

We landed at 10:30am, our time... Josh was able to take a half-day off of work to pick us up at 11:30am...

IMG_4648.jpg

We stopped at Chipotle for lunch on our way home...

It was the "typical" Minnesotan commute - as the roads weren't all the way cleared yet...

IMG_4649.jpg

And Josh hadn't had time to clear the snow from the day before either... So this is what we arrived home to - a buried yard and cars...

6e883d84-14ad-4cee-846e-c23b6cb7697f.jpg

V tucked herself in on the couch...

IMG_4651.jpg

Meanwhile, Allison and I donned our winter gear and immediately began helping Josh dig out... By the time I was done shoveling - I felt terrible and discovered that I was running a fever.

We were all in bed early this night... We were all just exhausted. Usually we come home from these trips tired and sad to be leaving Disney... However, this time it was just even more sad, as the last few days were not at all what they were supposed to be.

V still has one day left to use on her ticket - which doesn't expire until December 14, 2018... She has not, yet, decided if it will go to waste, or if she will spend the $$ to go down for a day to use it??? It's not really worthwhile, financially, to spend $600+ (between resort and flight) to use $50 worth of a ticket... But we will see, she may find a good deal?

As for me, as you all know, I came down with (what I suspect was) Influenza B... I slept on the couch for 3 nights - in an effort to keep from exposing Josh - until eventually - I just HAD to sleep in my own bed, as I couldn't stand it anymore. As you can see, the dogs took turns cuddling me - they were happy to have their momma home. :lovestruc

IMG_4655.jpg

In the end, V had symptoms for 10 days... I suspect the Tamiflu wasn't much help to her, as it was started too late. I had symptoms and ran a high fever for 7 full days - I started the Tamiflu 1 full day before I had symptoms.

As of now, there are no plans to have a re-do of this trip. :( The girls are both saving $$ for other things, and this just isn't in the budget for any of us. Josh and I leave on our Europe trip very soon - where I will be going to DLP with Myrthe - so I'll get a bit of a Disney fix...

However - it does look like we will be doing a BIG family WDW trip sometime in the Spring of 2020... BMTL just returned from their very first family trip to WDW last week Wednesday - and they are in LOVE!!! They had a blast!!!! So, it looks like we will be going back - Josh included this time. :woohoo:

Stay tuned, as I have a lot of updates to do on my DLP PTR in the coming days - but those updates are much easier to do than these TR updates are. ::yes::

To everyone who stuck with me, as I had to try and crank out these last days of this trip - to be honest - I hated writing about them... It was so sad to not have V be a part of it with Allison and I... So, thank you. :lovestruc I have never not finished a TR - and this wasn't going to be my first.

Love to you all!~

D~​

Last edited:
Your visit to urgent care was a real nightmare. Poor Victoria. She must have wanted to be anywhere but there. :(

We were supposed to meet you later that morning, but because we slept late that morning, we couldn't make it to MK in time to meet you. I was so sorry that your trip plans were changed because of illness.

You look great in your Dumbo outfit and it would have been fun to see you. I was really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Poor V! It's miserable to be sick, but to have the flu while on vacation? That's terrible. I'm glad you didn't feel your worst until you made it back home. I'm a medical assistant and your description of the urgent care makes me cringe. I'm so sorry for your terrible experience. That just makes everything so much worse.

Looking forward to your DLP trip!

I am so sorry to hear that the end of your trip did not turn out well.:sad2:

BTW, loved the dumbo outfit - especially the ears!:goodvibes

Looking forward to hearing about DLP.:thumbsup2

I am so sorry to hear how your trip ended - definitely less than magical. Your experience at urgent care was terrible. I felt so bad for you guys while I was reading about it.

Spring of 2020 will be here before you know it. After our trip this summer, we don’t have any Disney plans until August of 2020 to celebrate my 40th birthday. We can pass the time together.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with the urgent care. I had to take Brynn dd5 there on our trip & we were in & out in 30 minutes. That includes waiting for them to fill out script there. We were the only ones there (first thing in am & it wasn’t flu season). I didn’t even notice the dated decor. The flu was really rough this year.

I’m glad there’s a a big family trip in the future. I know it doesn’t make up for this one but it’s something to look forward to. V needs a do-over. Poor thing.

I’m so sorry your trip turned out the way it did...I know how much you were all looking forward to it.

That health clinic sounds awful! You would think Disney would enforce higher standards for something on their property.

I’m so excited for your upcoming trip!!!!

It was a beautiful morning, and there is just nothing better to me, than to walk into MK with the sun sparkling off of the buildings. :lovestruc Though - I felt terrible that V couldn't enjoy it with us.

IMG_4570.jpg
OH, D, I can't even imagine how heavy your heart must have been to try to push on and have this fun a.m. with Allison while V was so sick in bed :(

I was texting V a little bit while we were eating... She begged me to sneak her one last Mickey Waffle... So we did.

IMG_4603.jpg
Runaway waffles....I should do this anyway, just for later in the morning snacks! :)

FIVE HOURS after checking in at the clinic - at 4:30 pm we walked out the door. FIVE HOURS! :angry: Absolutely absurd!

That is seriously INSANE!!! We have used in park First Aid a couple of times and thought they were amazing....clearly, they need to do something with their urgent care service :( How disappointing!!

Because of how she was feeling, her ears never popped (and this is something she is very sensitive to anyways) - so she cried almost the whole flight home... It was awful for her!

Poor V!!!! I have really sensitive ears and flew to Ireland with a cold.....it was horrific.

However - it does look like we will be doing a BIG family WDW trip sometime in the Spring of 2020... BMTL just returned from their very first family trip to WDW last week Wednesday - and they are in LOVE!!! They had a blast!!!! So, it looks like we will be going back - Josh included this time. :woohoo:

What an ending to your TR!!!!!! That will be an amazing trip, I'm sure!!

That ending made me tear up. I'm so sorry it ended so bad. I hope I never have to go to that Urgent Care!!!!!

Ugggg. So sorry about your trip to Urgent (not) Care. That is just crazy--5 hours. And then the full on flu for you both even with the meds--I thought the meds were supposed to shorten it a lot more, at least for you since you started it right away.

I don't think it will be worth it to use up that remaining day. Considering the cost of the ticket is such a great price for the Salute ticket, you still got your money's worth. If she does go, maybe she could go for a longer trip and get another ticket--you are eligible for 6 per year, so she could get another 4 day ticket to make a nice trip. Just a thought if she decides she can swing the trip.

Here's hoping you can plan a great trip for 2020 for the entire family. That will be fun to take the little ones and see it again through their eyes!

I'm excited for your Europe trip. I know you will have a great time!

I enjoyed reading your TR even though it had a not so great ending. Aside from the dreaded flu and nightmare trip to prompt care, you had some fun times. Loved all your outfits and especially Dumbo! Now, on to your European trip - yay!

P.S. Thanks for finishing the report - the last few days were probably no fun to remember and write about.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!