~~~~ Sew, it seams this trip wasn't the adventure we had planned! ~~ January 2018! ~~ COMPLETE 5/6!

Day 3 ~ Part 1... D~ off, the Girls are at Universal Studios

Thursday, January 18, 2018

I haven't quite figured out how I am going to write about this day in my TR... I think I am going to write about my day... and then insert the pictures from the girls' Universal Studios day (most of which were stolen off of their Snapchats) at the end? Since I wasn't there with them, I have no idea what they did or in what order they did it... Or if there were any stories to tell about anything... :scratchin

Since it was MY day off - I slept in a little bit, until 6am... I got up and made my coffee, and stayed out of the girls' way, so they could both get ready for their day. ::yes::

The girls decided that their best option for transportation to U/S was to go by Uber... Josh - who is normally a MUCH "looser" parent than I am, was incredibly nervous about this... Where, me, who is typically a more paranoid parent, was actually mostly OK with this. :scratchin I think it's because I know that Uber is so HUGE in Orlando and very competitive for ratings... Where in MN - Uber is here, but not nearly as used - especially in our rural area... I understood Josh's apprehension, and dismissed it. LOL

So, the girls left in their Uber car at 7:45... I made them leave their Snapchat on, so I could track them. It wasn't long and they texted me that they had arrived and all was good. This is the first time I have EVER let them go on their own in Orlando - or anywhere really... When they had first decided that they were going to go to U/S alone... I had a lot of anxiety about it... And then I had to remind myself - they have both been around the world alone, they can handle Orlando and U/S just fine. After that - I was good with it. I will always be their mother, I guess... And worry about them forever. ::yes::

While I was getting ready for my day, I was watching the news... The big report in Orlando this morning was "COLD, it feels like 8°"... Great. Can't wait.

I knew I'd be fine... But I knew the girls would freeze. Today is scheduled to be the coldest day of our trip. ::yes::

At 9:45, I was ready for my day and out the door.

Shady Shuttle ---> Poly ---> Monorail ---> Contemporary

8AA1EA16-4A23-46FD-A1D9-C8025E99208E.jpg

02D6C884-8A3B-4891-AEE5-8C38FDCE3083.jpg

Wearing pants...

A0474DD6-6D4A-4837-8B2E-3181BCCB18C0.jpg

D85A7AA7-766D-46DE-9996-4D68C2B60984.jpg

I shopped for a little while - while I was waiting for my breakfast date to arrive - but I didn't buy anything... A few things caught my eye though...

For Josh...

25DA4943-CD03-4310-8599-3C5E8647C29D.jpg

For Thomas...

ACB29FD1-7496-4A3D-8757-48A8CED98035.jpg

My outfit today...

84D174DE-EBFC-4D5E-95C9-6BD9E5534DBF.jpg

Any of you who have read my TRs in the past, probably have an idea of where I am eating for breakfast... ::yes::

A short time later, Cindy texted me that she had arrived. :woohoo:

We walked into The Wave at 10:45...

6525310F-1A84-46B1-B298-924DACB7B133.jpg

As usual - it was delicious... My favorites: Cheesy Grits, Sweet Potato Pancakes with Pecan Honey Butter and warm Syrup... And, of course, Mickey Waffles.

9A25C68A-E2B8-4036-AC5E-8E25D5F123AD.jpg

50C8FDE8-BAEA-4681-BA4F-8A2FB5522F7F.jpg

With full bellies - we decided to head off to Disney Springs... Remember - it's super cold out today! I was doing my best to stay indoors - I think Cindy was too?

First off - we hit WoD... I just love this store. I purchased, probably my favorite Pandora bead ever... The dangling Mickey hat! My bracelet is looking very nice.

08AACDFB-7652-421F-A212-D99635C6D7A3.jpg

You may have noticed - this avid Alex and Ani collector - has not purchased one single A n A bracelet this trip... :scratchin For a few reasons... First off - I've had many of my bracelets for several years (my first ones were purchased on my 2014 trip)... I've spent a lot of $$ on them... My oldest ones (which are only 3.5 years old) are VERY tarnished and I cannot get them clean. Honestly, they look terrible. I cannot continue to spend $$ on them if they are going to be wrecked and unwearable in a few years. I am very, very disappointed in their quality. Secondly - now all of the Disney A n A bracelets are colored (rather than the embossed silver or gold) and while I like some of the colored ones, most of them look cheap. I had, at least, planned to get the 2018 bracelet - to go with all of my other trip years... But all of my other trip years are embossed silver and the new 2018 A n A bracelet is colored, and TBH - it looks really cheap. I've decided not to continue on with my "years" bracelets either. Such a disappointment - honestly. I feel terrible too, because many of my bracelets were gifts from the girls and Josh - and while they are newer and still look good (and I still wear them) - I am afraid, in a few years, they will be unwearable too.

OK - done with my Alex and Ani rant... ::yes::

Cindy and I stopped and had some Photopass pictures taken in the studio... We were expecting some great pictures, like we had on the last trip... However - when I checked online a few minutes later - what we were greeted with was an absolute abomination... Seriously - I don't know what Disney was thinking with this idea, but I honestly cannot even post these pictures - they were TERRIBLE! So, in an effort to save this TR and at least have one picture of Cindy and I in DS... I am going to re-post a picture there from last trip. ::yes::

October 2016
wdw2016289577778577_7831513227_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg

On our way... We stopped at all of the specialty Disney shops... I love, love, love looking here! I saw this dress - I really wanted it - but A: Where would I wear it? And B: It was cold - I didn't feel like getting undressed to try it on. And C: The ONE fitting room was full. So, I opted for this instead... Looks great right? But not good enough to buy? Yah - that's what I thought too. ::yes::

1F2087A9-CC3B-40D9-8B19-B7402137AF7F.jpg

082DC370-3CF2-4BE7-9AE4-45077E23AC7A.jpg

The display totally rocked it though. ::yes::

E7F83EEE-6BE8-4C90-BD5B-6B771EF8785B.jpg

After this - Cindy and I decided to try for some Disney Outlet shopping...

We went to the first one, and couldn't find a parking spot... Well - there were lots of spots... If we wanted to valet park. Grrr... Nope.

So we went to the other outlet - and by some sweet miracle - there was a nice spot just for us. Like, literally, angels were singing as we pulled in. ::yes:: I always *know* I am meant to shop if I get a good parking spot. ::yes::

Link to Day 3 Part II

D~

Last edited:
Day 3 ~ Part II

At the 2nd Disney Outlet store, I didn't purchase much... I was being very frugal with my limited souvenir budget - as I noticed on our 3rd day already, we were running low on dining $$. In an effort to keep this trip as a "cash only" trip, I was willing to put some of my souvenir $$ towards food... As someone mis-budgeted. ::yes:: (me)

At the outlet, I purchased 2 calendars as gifts... 2 coloring books for Thomas and Lara... and one shirt for myself (which still has the tags on it... To be fair, it's a tee shirt and too cold here now to wear it). I think my total was less than $30. :scratchin

We are getting to the point in the day where I am expecting to hear from the girls that they are ready to be done at U/S... It was near 2pm, and I knew they were freezing. So, I checked in with them, since we were in that area... Santos had just gotten off of work and was going to meet up for a few rides.

8B845018-4586-4F64-B94B-18D429CC7011.jpg

Since they seemed like they were going to be there for a while yet - Cindy and I decided to head back to Disney property to do some resort hopping.

E0508863-F7C9-47F3-AB14-1B20D90FAD0C.jpg

First was AKL... A near and dear favorite of mine. :lovestruc This is the resort I stayed at with Suzi and Bradey in November 2015... The last time I saw them. :sad:

9981CBE8-95D7-413C-BC6C-E202FB7E52A0.jpg

D492D67F-DEBD-4AFD-A9FB-1A49B0106F15.jpg

I had ONE mission while at AKL... Curry Salad. Mmmmm... I LOVE curry!

Cindy and I headed down to the Mara...

38DDB692-784B-4F98-ACC1-79CF24B74C9A.jpg

Seeing their coolers empty of salads... I inquired upon the curry salad, only to find out that they were completely "sold out" of it. No way... Impossible. There HAD to be some Disney magic somewhere in the coolers in a 5 gallon bucket... After all - it has been 2+ years and 2k miles... This trip can't be a total loss. The CM said there was "one other place she could look"... But alas, she came out empty handed. No curry salad anywhere to be found. Sad day. I had to settle for this...

8E886488-F0AA-4263-85E7-4BB514920578.jpg

Believe it or not, it sorta hit the spot on this cold day. ::yes::

Cindy and I headed back upstairs to do a bit of shopping before heading to our next resort...

0C91B0C5-D26F-4B3F-98F2-46689F2CD48A.jpg

Where I found an elusive charm for my Pandora bracelet... It's the Swirl Mickey in silver. It coordinates really well with the Infinity Mickey & Minnie charm that V gave me for Christmas. I think the Swirl Mickey is elusive because it's one of the cheapest Disney charms from Pandora - if memory serves, it was only $35! Here's the link to the gold one, exactly like it - though gold is a bit more expensive. ::yes::

https://www.shopdisney.com/mickey-mouse-gold-swirl-charm-by-pandora-1456868

The next resort on our agenda... DWL... :lovestruc

09FD6580-A114-4C89-9A62-00C0027757CA.jpg

We did a little browsing in the shop here too, but didn't purchase anything.

Ultimately, we were here for one thing, and one thing only... The fireplace. LOL

519611C3-9BF6-4F9D-B7DD-1B8E446AC178.jpg

BD654BF3-49D1-4490-8509-518008A26D87.jpg

And the view is pretty nice too...

DAAE458B-5C05-4655-8B26-62E18AD4F0DA.jpg

01066254-C4C1-4A0F-AEFC-10B602C4331A.jpg

Still not hearing from the girls and it had been a couple of hours since my last contact with them... I was telling Cindy that it had to be *soon*... I knew them, and I knew they weren't dressed properly for the cold - V especially... They wouldn't last much longer.

We decided to drive around for a little while... Do some "behind the scenes" touring - if you will...

The back side of Space Mountain...

098E3870-506C-473F-A584-C36DC7B539B1.jpg

The Monorail parking garage...

DA65440D-490F-4024-B491-516E2D05EA0A.jpg

A2D6C1A5-1DF9-44D6-9FA3-CCA7D2F0FFE6.jpg

And if you look reaaaaaaaly closely... You can see all of the iconic Christmas trees from each park being packed away until next year - which I found very fascinating. ::yes:: And I told Josh "see, even Disney packs their trees away fully decorated"... Hahahha... He still won't let me do it. :scratchin

E03E40BB-FD43-4EC1-B5A2-2339B8D5386B.jpg

Gerald texted Cindy to let her know that he was off of work and ready for a ride... On our way to get him, the girls texted that they were freezing and done too.

So, we picked up Ger first... Then headed over to U/S - which took us about 45 minutes in traffic.

We had the heat on in the car, and a blanket for the girls in the back seat... I am pretty sure, when we pulled up - V had icicles forming on her eye lashes. ::yes:: Poor kids! They had a FUN day - but I was right... They were cold.

By this time it was nearly dark and we were all ready for dinner.

We decided that tonight was a good night for one of our beloved favorites... French Quarter and beignets.

7ACADD58-AF34-4AE6-A138-0C6B19A7C2CB.jpg

89CB469A-F65E-43F1-8ED7-8FE81BEA4E58.jpg

87D4D4A1-6620-47A9-A239-4DBB5F1132DF.jpg

I do have to say - I really LOVE the new Sassagoula Floatworks QS look - they kept the same "feel" but eliminated the "scariness" of the huge float faces. And I love the brick too... Very nicely done. ::yes::

A7A3B52E-8656-4822-9F90-58EE0EE9F900.jpg

Which is always a good choice for Ger and Cindy anyways - since Ger is a New Orleans native. ::yes:: Though I've never been to NO... Gerald tells me that FQ food is a decent substitution for the real thing. ::yes::

DE59312D-662B-4DBD-8490-F8746469F453.jpg

8B0EE9A3-B851-4A8D-AEFB-54CE25BC774C.jpg

Cindy and Gerald dropped us off at SoG after dinner... The girls were still trying to warm themselves after their long cold day outside... All of us were in bed and sound asleep by 9pm. :eek: With only 10k steps for today - for me anyways. ::yes::

Link to Day 3 ~ Part III

D~

Last edited:
Day 3 ~ Part III

All of the girls' pictures from Universal Studios ~ That I have in my possession ~ In no particular order... Sorry.

One thing they did tell me, was that the Uber driver dropped them off at a "back door gate"... So, they were the first people let into the park, and strategically ahead of the masses coming from the main gate. ::yes:: I have no idea where this is located - but it did give them a HUGE advantage as they didn't have as long of a walk as everyone else.

2236EC64-0B6F-42C8-BA17-A02C67F9E653.png

9DB541CE-F202-45F3-8586-4B3615C9EED7.png

1CD14B99-2BCD-4C34-9274-84101716C8B3.png

342ED1EE-3978-4388-AFF1-5ECD1EDDC744.png

DDDFE348-C2F6-4981-BA7D-422927EFF603.png

58448832-7B35-47B2-9AF9-D04D1B343B4A.png

CA78F521-59BE-47FA-928B-A001632D9138.png

01f873de-b264-4d61-99cc-a8a5c3fbac8c.png

88FE54BC-4D62-4752-8A33-7E323E4250DC.png

43554F6E-5CC4-48A9-8876-841B5D3DE64F.png

E305242B-7902-45DA-8686-05CFD841E7A5_1.jpg

15D436F8-0EFF-4A9A-AB63-74EFE16FE301.jpg

5CAE16DA-FC0B-4184-8859-CFB2CF77C7D4.jpg

And the girls with our long-time good friend and frequent TR guest... Santos. I didn't get to meet up with Santos at all during this trip - sad - but at least the girls got to see him and spend some time with him.

7F9DD1AA-7CCE-43E3-A437-8D539165C707.png

D9E944AD-AF9B-439B-96CB-965F9D63DBE5.png

And that's all I have of their Universal day... I do know that they did get ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour... And Allison ordered my all time favorite ice cream cone flavors - only available there - Clotted Cream on the bottom and Earl Grey and Lavender on the top ~ in a waffle cone, of course. She told me that she HATED both flavors and threw it away. :eek: A total disgrace!!!! I cannot believe that this is even MY child???? Victoria got the Butterbeer flavor - and after Allison threw her's away, they shared.​

Link to Day 4 ~ Part I

D~

Last edited:

I had no idea there was a back way into Universal. It looks like the girls had a fun time at Universal even though it was so cold. Florida cold is so different than cold up here. It always seems so much colder down there for some reason. It was so nice of Santos to go to Universal to spend time with the girls.
Your day with Cindy sounds like my kind of day. shopping and resort hopping. I think you could make a dress like that and it would probably be better made.
Yes, my new fitbit is an alta. Actually it's an alta hr. It came with an extra band. The second band is blue so I have the black one on.
The pictures of your old store are so sad and confusing with no stock on the shelves. I shop at Target a lot but if you hadn't said where they were taken I wouldn't have know.
Today I'm supposed to go to Micheal's craft store. My daughter is looking for a certain yarn but doesn't want to order it from Amazon. We wanted to go to the Lake Erie bluffs to see how much of the beach is there and how much ice is on the lake I don't know if we'll get there as it's in the opposite direction.
Have a good day
Liz

Just got caught up. Let's see if I can remember my comments, since I failed to quote anything!

Loved that all three of you had your names on the posters at EE!

We did FOP and really loved it. So immersive. I did take a peek to see how it's set up by looking left and right. It's pretty amazing how they created the ride.

I don't think I realized that there was a koi pond at SoG! I've stayed and visited there, but honestly haven't spent a ton of time wandering around--mostly just in and out the front door.

I wish I could have made it down for the January trip, but I'm really not sad I missed the cold weather. I go to Florida for the sunshine and heat!

Glad the girls had a great time at Universal. We did a split trip last time, so we spent several days at Uni. I was visiting around my convention so having a couple of days worked out well. I love the immersive HP areas.

Looks like my trip in March may just be me and DS2. DH has some work issues. Maybe he'll be able to pop in for a few days?
I would not like to arrive as late as you did. We are lucky that there are several non-stop flights from here to Orlando. DS and I prefer the early morning flight, but DH hates to take the early flight. We're taking the afternoon flight this time because DS has class in the morning.

Have a great trip!

We added a night on to our trip in November and stayed at the FQ. Its always been one of my favorites, but we don't get to stay there often. And yes, we had beignets for breakfast!

Lillian - I forgot to mention that my son was in Tromso in December! He did a solo trip to Europe and wanted to see the northern lights. Was only there one night before he headed home.

Your new shirt looks great.

I never buy white coats because they get dirty so fast and I hate to wash coats.

The weather gets warmer here in April / May. So we still have a lot of winter left. I don't mind that at all.
On Friday the news paper made a big deal that this weekend was the last days of good weather and that we would get snow this coming week. When I look at the weather forecast of this coming week it does say no snow and sunny, but it will be cold if what they say is right. They say it's going to be 14ºF this coming week. That's cold because it's always windy in Tromsø so it will feel a lot colder than 14ºF.

Thanks! I am surprised at how easy they are to put together... It honestly takes me longer to cut these shirts out than it takes to make them. :scratchin

I was super nervous about the white coat too - but I am honestly surprised at how easy it is to take care of. ::yes:: Granted - I have my longer black one that I wear on the super cold days - so the white one is only worn half the time... so, far it has been a great coat. I do still want to get the same one in black though - some day. ::yes::

We are supposed to get a decent snow storm today... Josh was at the lake with the boys all weekend and they came home last night so they could be ahead of the weather. Thankfully the storm will be well on it's way and won't affect my flight this week at all. ::yes::

Stay warm and stay safe my friend. :)

How lucky you got to get a great view of the tiger cub

How rude of the man at ITTBAB to SHOVED the back of his arm into your face
What a shame that you got a tall person right in front of you so you couldn't see the show.

I know - aren't they adorable??? So glad we got to see them close up. :lovestruc

Yah - it was super rude and annoying... I could have been handled so much nicer. ::yes::

It all turned out OK in the end - it's not as if I have never seen the show and I will see it again - so it was nothing more than annoying. ::yes::

What s fun day! I really want to try that lumpia....it looks good. I get terrible motion sickness so I’ve never done EE - Mark doesn’t get it and he said that one makes him a bit queasy, so no way. I worry about the same thing on FOP - even though I take Dramamine every day we’re in the parks.

The baby tiger is adorable!! I love that you can have those encounters at AK.

Love all of the new shirts and bralettes that you’re making - that peacock color is so rich and gorgeous!

It was decent... There were probably other things that would have been better to try - but the line inside the c/s restaurant in Pandora was crazy long, and there was no line at this place. ::yes::

I do get motion sickness on EE too, if I ride it too many times in a row... I also get a headache. ::yes:: Typically 3-4x is about all I can do. ::yes::

I know, right... So adorable!

Thanks! Yes - that peacock one is probably my favorite... I wish I would have purchased more of it - there are a few other items I could have made or accented my shirts with it - but I used nearly every scrap that I had. ::yes::

It doesn't sound like you had the best ending on day 2. But you all look happy in the pictures so it looks like the day ended OK

It turned out good... We had fun and in the end - I am glad we went back to MK. ::yes::

It just always feels like we get nothing done in the parks... We go and we just don't have the energy to wait in long lines or to deal with all of the people - not like we used to. And it just takes so long to get everywhere... ::yes::

Looks like you had a really fun day. I'm glad you only had 1 cold day. That's usually what we would get when we went in Jan. too. It wasn't too hard to deal with when we'd just think how cold it was at home.

Your new shirts look great on you. Not sure how I would feel about the bare back one though, but I've never worn anything like that. They are very flattering on you though and it sounds like you're having fun making them.

My husband's check up appointment went well, but he pulled a muscle in his back when he bent over that morning to put on his jeans. So the doctor did give him a prescription for a pain killer. By the next morning though it was so painful he couldn't get up and I had to call 911 to get him to the hospital. They gave him some good drugs right away and did some tests. They are pretty sure it's a pulled muscle and they gave him more drugs to take home. He is getting better and they told him to keep moving. I think he was laying around too much after he got the stent. I will be glad when things get back to normal.

Have a great trip and hopefully it will be warm and sunny.

We did... The cold down there is so different than at home - but we knew before we left that we would have this one cold day and that would be it. So, it was more tolerable - when on Allison's grad trip, I feel like we weren't prepared for the cold at all and it took us by surprise... that wasn't fun at all. :scratchin

Thanks! I am having so much fun making them! I think I would have more of an issue with the bare back if I didn't have a bralette under it... It's kinda fun to have something interesting to wear that is still very modest in the front. As I get older - well - no one wants to see my cleavage. :lmao: So I try to spare them that. ::yes::

Oh no!!! How scary... Glad it was only a pulled muscle - but anything with the back can be so very painful! Wishing him a speedy recovery! :hug:

Thanks! The forecast looks beautiful... I am a little worried that I don't have enough warm weather clothes packed. ::yes:: I may have to re-evaluate?

I am so enjoying your reports, it’s so nice that you and your girls have so much fun together!

Thanks!!! I love writing them and I love sharing our trips here on The Dis! :lovestruc

I laughed because the first time I rode FoP and went through the fast pass line, I honestly thought we'd gone the wrong way and were in some kind of forbidden area. It's so empty through there and isoloated compared to the miles long standby line.

When we were there over the new year, I could not believe how cold it was. Our last park day was in AK, and the "feels like" temp was 38. It was so surreal! Now that I have dealt with all types of weather at WDW, I can firmly say I prefer it to be about 65 and sunny with no humidity. Too bad those days are few and far between

Right? I am glad I am not the only one who was a little "put off" by the isolation there. :OL

Agreed!!! All of my October/November trips have been nearly perfect weather... ::yes::

I love all the photos through the years. How fun to have those. Dumbo at night looks fantastic. It seems whenever we go we always stay for fireworks, but we don't do rides after dark, not sure why? I should try rides at night at least once .

Thanks! I try hard to get a few every time we go. ::yes::

Dumbo is beautiful at night... And definitely ride some rides at night - a totally different experience! I won't say which one we rode at night this time - but I am glad we went back for it - it's even more of a favorite now! :scratchin

The pictures of the baby tiger are precious. All your posted pictures are excellent.

Did that dude do that to you on purpose? What is ITTBAB?

You had FP for Lion King, but you were so far back from center stage. I may see this show for the first time on my next trip. Ive never been able to convince anyone to take the time out of the park day to watch a show like that.

I hope your weekend is pleasantly relaxing..

Thanks! I was happy to be able to get such a great picture!

Yes, he held me back on purpose - which is why I was so annoyed by it... He literally shoved his arm in front of my face and held me back. All he would have had to do is say something - or point to his family... but we stood there for 10 minutes before we were let in and he never once talked to these people - so I had no clue that he was even with them, until he held me back... Oh well. :)

ITTBAB = It's Tough To Be A Bug. :) The show under the Tree of Life.

Fantastic pictures! Those baby tigers are adorable!
I know what you mean about chilly evenings - I find the humidity just sinks into my bones when its cold. Just used to a dryer cold, I guess.
Thought of you today as I was hand sewing sequins onto DD24's wedding top - just subtly adding a bit of shimmer to the lace flower centres. It went much better during daylight hours. Once I get bridal approval I will resew them for strength, so I will be working on it until at least Friday.

Thanks! I was so excited to get such a great picture - it was definitely a "right place at the right time" moment. ::yes::

It does! It's very cold in Florida... In MN at the same temps, I'd be wearing a capris/shorts with a sweatshirt and be comfortable. ::yes::

Oh wow!!!! You are dedicated! However - I'd probably be that dedicated for either of the girls' weddings too? LOL Good luck - I hope it all goes together perfectly! :lovestruc

LOL we were talking about Mamma Mia! But, while we're on the subject, The Greatest Showman is FANTASTIC!!! I love it so much. I got the soundtrack and Jimmy is now very well versed in singing the entire thing in every character's voice

She is a pro We can all aspire to be like her!!

LOL. I didn't get my name up there, but Rob did. His was an ad for some kind of tea. His quote, "It's hot. -Rob" LOL

OMG, what a cutie!!!!

Hahaha... That's right. I am such a dork sometimes - glad you remembered. Yup - we are all borderline obsessed with the Greatest Showman right now... V also purchased the soundtrack (FANTASTIC) - she plans to share it with me... but it is constantly playing around the house. LOL

For sure! ::yes::

Hahahaha! That is awesome! The girls and I had our names up there every time we rode... I have several pictures from other times during this trip too.

Right??? I was so excited to be able to get that picture! :lovestruc

**************************************************************************************************************

Yay! :woohoo: I was able to get a little caught up on replies this morning... I hope to be completely caught up before I leave for Florida this week. ::yes::

Nothing exciting to add...

I was working on one Stella shirt (to wear on my flight) and then my serger knives decided to be dull and not work anymore... So I had to order new knives - which will be delivered on Tuesday... I am hoping they will come early enough that I will still have time to finish my shirt before my flight. ::yes::

So, I worked on a new bralette all weekend and took a nap every day. That was nice. :)

Josh took the boys to the lake for his long weekend... All 3 of them showed up at home a day early yesterday... We are supposed to get a snow storm today and they wanted to get home ahead of the weather. Well, Josh did anyways... The boys could care less. LOL

I have a busy few days ahead of me here at home as I try to wrap everything up before I leave.

If I don't get back here again (I should) - have a great week all! :grouphug:

D~

Wow, lots of updates!

We love EE. We always fast pass it and try to ride standby, too. I didn’t know you could ask to sit in the back (or front, or anywhere for that matter). We just sit where we are assigned, but now that I know I can ask, I think I might do that. I do usually ask on Soarin to sit in the middle section.

Sorry the weather turned cold. On our trip in November of 2010 we experienced a really cold snap and it wasn’t pleasant. We weren’t properly prepared and we ended up always heading back to the resort early, missing all the nighttime stuff. It was just too cold. That was probably our least favorite trip and we attribute it to the weather.

It looks like your girls had fun at Universal and they got to spend time with Santos. Resort hopping is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Im sure the fireplace at WL was a welcome treat.

I know how much you like POFQ. We are staying at POR this summer, my first time in years. Last time I was there I was with my parents and it was called Dixie Landings. Anyway, we are thinking of maybe switching our reservation to POFQ. There are things I like about both resorts. I can’t decide...

Great update! LOVE the baby tiger pics...soooo CUTE!

You will have to ask Cindy where Ger is from in New Orleans. Tell him I am from the westbank...he will understand, lol. And I agree that POFQ is like a very clean French Quarter and the beignets are pretty spot on (only we don't normally do the dipping sauces).

Then we rode a bunch of times single rider... I am not posting all of those pictures though - because it's all just singles of us with random strangers. ::yes::

Then we rode at 10:30am with our FP... Always requesting the back car. ::yes::

Love all the EE ride photos! I feel like every time I ride, the camera is broken. Maybe it's me!

We also had time before our FOLK FP to meet Dug and Russel... Sadly - Dug was in the "dog house" today and wasn't there - but Russell LOVED me and my outfit!

I love Russell, and I absolutely adore your purse!! :love::worship: Please let me know when you decide to sell these!

While we were all smashed together under the tree, waiting for the doors to open - you know, it's crowded, dark and a chaotic mess down there... So the doors opened, and this guy in front of me - a taller guy - SHOVED the back of his arm into my face as we were entering - and totally pushed me back - it wasn't really painful, but it was very RUDE... Unbeknownst to me, the rest of his family was behind us. All he would have had to say to me was that his family was there, and I would have let them pass to sit together... Rather than shoving me out of the way and physically holding me back to let them through. I was just super annoyed ... Had my face not been plastered to the back of his arm for 30 seconds, I probably wouldn't have been so annoyed... but it was just rude.

OMG…so rude! I would be annoyed too.

The ride was excellent! I enjoyed it immensely. It's definitely a must do!

It's amazing! I can't wait to go on again in April and to actually ride with my kids. When I went in November, DH wouldn't ride :sad2:

WOW!!! The temps dropped while we were napping/resting! It was COLD!

Shady Shuttle ---> Poly ---> Monorail ---> MK at 6:30...

FF860738-57EC-4DB5-8E34-FF78F747EC0B.png

Brrrr…and 51 in Orlando feels much colder than 51 at home, for some reason. Like we are super excited around here in CT that it might reach 50 and I can't wait to get out and take a walk.

And V through the years...

So cute. I love doing these kinds of shots.

This is the first time I have EVER let them go on their own in Orlando - or anywhere really... When they had first decided that they were going to go to U/S alone... I had a lot of anxiety about it... And then I had to remind myself - they have both been around the world alone, they can handle Orlando and U/S just fine. After that - I was good with it. I will always be their mother, I guess... And worry about them forever. ::yes::

WDW and DCL are the only time I give mine a little freedom, as well. When they were 14 and 12 I let them stay at the MK by themselves while I went and laid by the pool at the CR. And we went on the Dream when they were 12 and 14 and I barely saw them…they would be out until after midnight and I'd be in bed. So weird because I'm usually a nervous Nellie, but they are Disney kids and know their way around.

First off - we hit WoD... I just love this store. I purchased, probably my favorite Pandora bead ever... The dangling Mickey hat! My bracelet is looking very nice.

Very pretty.

I saw this dress - I really wanted it - but A: Where would I wear it? And B: It was cold - I didn't feel like getting undressed to try it on. And C: The ONE fitting room was full. So, I opted for this instead... Looks great right?

You could make that, you just need to find that fabric!

Love all the girl's Universal pictures!

Crossing my fingers that you will get the shirt you want to make finished in time for your trip.

I'm glad to hear Josh and the dogs got home before the storm. Crossing my fingers that the storm won't be too bad.

Not much happening around here. Ulf was in Sweden this past weekend. I found this flight radar app (and website) that you can follow all flights around the world. The airport system in Norway have a website you can go to to see if your flight is coming as planned or if there are delays. The problem with this site is that they don't update it often enough so I have experienced many times that the site says the plane will land a specific time so I schedule to go and pick up Ulf at the airport at that time. When I'm on my way out the door at home Ulf sends an text message saying he now has landed. It's frustrating. It takes 15 minutes from I leave the house until I'm at the airport. Today Ulf was coming home by plane and I was going to pick him up. By using the flight radar app I was able to follow the plane so then I knew exactly when he would land and the plane did land when the flight radar app said it would. So from now on I will use the flight radar app instead of the airports own website.

Hey Dorine!

Your life is so much more interesting than mine. We are back from a mostly wonderful trip to WDW, too. I wrote the briefest of trip reports and it's around here somewhere. :flower:

My daughter already wants to go back! She starts graduate school soon and will be scaling back her work hours, so I'm not sure that there will be one anytime in the near future. But you never know . . . :love:

Finally got caught up on your TR!

OMG-that picture of the baby tiger! I would die for it! When we visited in September, they were only a month old and not out yet. I'm heading to WDW in a week (!) and will be doing a rope drop at AK, not to go to Pandora-but to see baby tigers and the new baby hippo! I even booked the Wild Africa Trek to try and get a closer look at that hippo!

When are you heading to Europe? I'm visiting DLP in June and can't wait!

Secondly - now all of the Disney A n A bracelets are colored (rather than the embossed silver or gold) and while I like some of the colored ones, most of them look cheap. I had, at least, planned to get the 2018 bracelet - to go with all of my other trip years... But all of my other trip years are embossed silver and the new 2018 A n A bracelet is colored, and TBH - it looks really cheap. I've decided not to continue on with my "years" bracelets either.
My sister feels the same way! She always collected the princess AnA bracelets but doesn't like the colored ones. I did push us to go in the store though, and she ended up buying 3 bracelets! A narwhal (she is obsessed with those), the September one (her birthday, and it had a turtle which is our family's symbol), and the Merida one because that was the main princess she didn't have.

I saw this dress - I really wanted it - but A: Where would I wear it? And B: It was cold - I didn't feel like getting undressed to try it on. And C: The ONE fitting room was full. So, I opted for this instead... Looks great right? But not good enough to buy? Yah - that's what I thought too.
I actually did buy this dress! And I wore it last night to a (non-Disney) wedding! It's super cute and so comfy. Plus pockets! I'm looking forward to wearing to Dapper Day this spring!

Any of you who have read my TRs in the past, probably have an idea of where I am eating for breakfast... ::yes::
We had breakfast at the Wave when we were there in November. I had heard many good reviews about this breakfast buffet and I was anxious to try it. I had made to order French toast, which was very good, although not as good as the French toast at Grand Floridian Cafe. All in all, it was a very good breakfast buffet. Our favorite breakfast buffet is at Trail's End. We'll be eating there in just eight days from today, in fact. ;)

I saw this dress - I really wanted it - but A: Where would I wear it?
That is the question I always ask when I see the adorable Disney clothes for sale. But I know I would never wear anything like that in the real world.

I was being very frugal with my limited souvenir budget - as I noticed on our 3rd day already, we were running low on dining $$. In an effort to keep this trip as a "cash only" trip, I was willing to put some of my souvenir $$ towards food... As someone mis-budgeted. ::yes:: (me)
Disney food is much more expensive than "normal", although some of the entree prices are comparable to costs here in Chicago. We have been using Disney gift cards for food purchases but always end up charging to the room or a credit card.

Where I found an elusive charm for my Pandora bracelet... It's the Swirl Mickey in silver.
That is an adorable charm. We like to stop in the AKL gift shop when we are at the resort for dinner at Boma. It has some unique items for sale.

Ultimately, we were here for one thing, and one thing only... The fireplace. LOL
We usually try to stay at the Wilderness Lodge on our January trips and I was rather disappointed this January when the Beach Club room was so much cheaper than anything I could get at WL. So we ended up booking a trip in February so that we could stay at our favorite resort. :)

We decided that tonight was a good night for one of our beloved favorites... French Quarter and beignets.
We ate lunch at FQ when were stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in October. I thought that the remodeled restaurant looked great. I ordered shrimp and grits and was impressed that it was made to order. It was a nice lunch and we were glad we had eaten there. We are not fans of the beignets, though.

And that's all I have of their Universal day.
I love Victoria's hat. Both girls look adorable in their pictures. :)

Looks like you all had a great day even if it was cold outside.

We did - it was a fun day! :)

Scroll down to Iamthequeen's post - Tess' son was in Tromso ... Not sure if you saw that?

I had no idea there was a back way into Universal. It looks like the girls had a fun time at Universal even though it was so cold. Florida cold is so different than cold up here. It always seems so much colder down there for some reason. It was so nice of Santos to go to Universal to spend time with the girls.
Your day with Cindy sounds like my kind of day. shopping and resort hopping. I think you could make a dress like that and it would probably be better made.
Yes, my new fitbit is an alta. Actually it's an alta hr. It came with an extra band. The second band is blue so I have the black one on.
The pictures of your old store are so sad and confusing with no stock on the shelves. I shop at Target a lot but if you hadn't said where they were taken I wouldn't have know.
Today I'm supposed to go to Micheal's craft store. My daughter is looking for a certain yarn but doesn't want to order it from Amazon. We wanted to go to the Lake Erie bluffs to see how much of the beach is there and how much ice is on the lake I don't know if we'll get there as it's in the opposite direction.
Have a good day
Liz

Neither did I - it was strange!

Yes - I am so happy that the girls got to spend some time with him. :)

Hehehehe... Cindy and I had a good time. We love to shop and we love DIsney - so it's always a win/win. :lovestruc

I had to buy a new band for my Alta - twice... The one that came with it (non-buckle type) was defective - so I purchased an after market one (non-fitbit brand... the polka dot one) and all of the dots wore off - it was terrible! So, Allison got me a plain black buckle band (also the same after market brand as the dot one) but it was solid black - not a film over the top of a white band - and I am much happier with this one. No problems so far. ::yes::

Yes - it's very difficult to see my old store that way... Such a shame. After almost living there for the last 12 years - I even had a hard time trying to figure out where everything was... If it was't for the different colored shelving that we used in electronics - I wouln't have ever figured it out. LOL

I hope you found the yarn and got to the bluffs. :lovestruc

Have a great week Liz! :)

I am getting a hankering to try the Wave.

You should! It's a reasonably priced meal with good food. :)

Me too! I already have a ressie for Brunch at the California Grill because it is our favorite, but this looks pretty amazing and tons cheaper!

Yes - the Wave is much cheaper... And usually not too crowded either. It's a nice break from the "theme park" type food. ::yes::

Just got caught up. Let's see if I can remember my comments, since I failed to quote anything!

Loved that all three of you had your names on the posters at EE!

We did FOP and really loved it. So immersive. I did take a peek to see how it's set up by looking left and right. It's pretty amazing how they created the ride.

I don't think I realized that there was a koi pond at SoG! I've stayed and visited there, but honestly haven't spent a ton of time wandering around--mostly just in and out the front door.

I wish I could have made it down for the January trip, but I'm really not sad I missed the cold weather. I go to Florida for the sunshine and heat!

Glad the girls had a great time at Universal. We did a split trip last time, so we spent several days at Uni. I was visiting around my convention so having a couple of days worked out well. I love the immersive HP areas.

Looks like my trip in March may just be me and DS2. DH has some work issues. Maybe he'll be able to pop in for a few days?
I would not like to arrive as late as you did. We are lucky that there are several non-stop flights from here to Orlando. DS and I prefer the early morning flight, but DH hates to take the early flight. We're taking the afternoon flight this time because DS has class in the morning.

Have a great trip!

Hahahha - yah, we were past the posters when I looked up and saw my name... I never see my name on anything. So, I quick whipped out my camera and noticed the girls' names were up there too. :)

I really wanted to look on FoP - but I knew if I looked, I'd be done for... And I'd likely never ride it again. ::yes:: :eek:

Honestly - we've only been out to the koi pond once - and that was on our 2008 trip... It's not really out of the way - but it's not on the way to anything either... For us anyways. It's a neat area though.

It's OK - I totally understand... Maybe next time?

They really only go for HP... I can't say I blame them - I think that's the only reason a lot of people go? ::yes::

I hope you get to go in March and get a good flight time too. :)

We added a night on to our trip in November and stayed at the FQ. Its always been one of my favorites, but we don't get to stay there often. And yes, we had beignets for breakfast!

Lillian - I forgot to mention that my son was in Tromso in December! He did a solo trip to Europe and wanted to see the northern lights. Was only there one night before he headed home.

Love FQ... One day we will stay there again. ::yes:: I honestly think our next trip will be a cruise... We are tired of walking. LOL And buses. ::yes:: We want a "relaxing" Disney vacation. ::yes::

That's cool! Lillian - did you see this?

Love your pics of PO-French Quarter! It became my favorite resort on our January trip! LOVE the beignets!!!

Thanks! It's our favorite Disney resort - It's just all the best of the best - without paying a larger fortune. LOL

Wow, lots of updates!

We love EE. We always fast pass it and try to ride standby, too. I didn’t know you could ask to sit in the back (or front, or anywhere for that matter). We just sit where we are assigned, but now that I know I can ask, I think I might do that. I do usually ask on Soarin to sit in the middle section.

Sorry the weather turned cold. On our trip in November of 2010 we experienced a really cold snap and it wasn’t pleasant. We weren’t properly prepared and we ended up always heading back to the resort early, missing all the nighttime stuff. It was just too cold. That was probably our least favorite trip and we attribute it to the weather.

It looks like your girls had fun at Universal and they got to spend time with Santos. Resort hopping is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Im sure the fireplace at WL was a welcome treat.

I know how much you like POFQ. We are staying at POR this summer, my first time in years. Last time I was there I was with my parents and it was called Dixie Landings. Anyway, we are thinking of maybe switching our reservation to POFQ. There are things I like about both resorts. I can’t decide...

Trying to keep you guys busy! :woohoo:

Yes - definitely ask on all rides... We ask on Splash, BTMRR, 7DMT... All of them, pretty much. We love the back - it's faster! ::yes::

The Florida cold is a totally different animal - it sucks... For lack of a better word. ::yes:: And being cold on vacation is almost worse than being hot.

The girls had a great time at Universal - being dropped off at that back entrance was a blessing, as they were ahead of the crowds all day... They were lucky. And happy to see Santos too!

Enjoy POR! I've never stayed there, but it's always my 2nd choice if I can't get a room at FQ. I think I'd be happy at both?

Great update! LOVE the baby tiger pics...soooo CUTE!

You will have to ask Cindy where Ger is from in New Orleans. Tell him I am from the westbank...he will understand, lol. And I agree that POFQ is like a very clean French Quarter and the beignets are pretty spot on (only we don't normally do the dipping sauces).

Same!!! I was so excited to be able to get them!

I will ask her. :lovestruc

I've always eaten my beignets plain... I didn't know there were dipping sauces. :scratchin Yah - I think I'd just like them plain. ::yes::

Love all the EE ride photos! I feel like every time I ride, the camera is broken. Maybe it's me!

I love Russell, and I absolutely adore your purse!! Please let me know when you decide to sell these!

OMG…so rude! I would be annoyed too.

It's amazing! I can't wait to go on again in April and to actually ride with my kids. When I went in November, DH wouldn't ride

Brrrr…and 51 in Orlando feels much colder than 51 at home, for some reason. Like we are super excited around here in CT that it might reach 50 and I can't wait to get out and take a walk.

So cute. I love doing these kinds of shots.

WDW and DCL are the only time I give mine a little freedom, as well. When they were 14 and 12 I let them stay at the MK by themselves while I went and laid by the pool at the CR. And we went on the Dream when they were 12 and 14 and I barely saw them…they would be out until after midnight and I'd be in bed. So weird because I'm usually a nervous Nellie, but they are Disney kids and know their way around.

Very pretty.

You could make that, you just need to find that fabric!

Love all the girl's Universal pictures!

Bummer - we've only ever had a few times where our ride photos didn't show up - then I just email them and they add them to my PP account. They are very good about finding missing photos. ::yes::

Thanks!!! The Up! set was my absolute favorite of all time... I am not typically a "pastel" girl and I really didn't think I would like this one that much and it's definitely LOVE. LOL

Yah - I expect rudeness in WDW, I truly do - there are just so many people... And even I admit - the rudeness rubs off - and after a few days, I am rude too... I just get so tired of it, and if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? But I like to think I am one of the nicer rude people? LOL I am from MN afterall. :lmao:

Your kids will love it! It's a fun ride!

Exactly - 50° here and I am in shorts and a sweatshirt... Not in Florida - LOL... Bundled up in all my winter gear for those temps. It's not the same at all.

I've let my girls travel around Disney by themselves... The first time was when Allison was sick - or was it V? I can't remember now? It was our 2012 trip though - and our last day... I let the one girl come later to MK... It was literally, get on the bus at FQ, get off the bus at MK and take the train to Fantasyland... And I was on the phone with her the entire time... She was borderline too young for this - IMO - but we had been there for 10 days and she was pretty comfy with the transportation system. ::yes:: I get a little more creeped out about it at SoG - as there are so many varying logistics. ::yes::

Hahahah! You have a lot of faith in me. LOL ::yes::

Thanks! I think they had a great time - and they got along. :woohoo: Bonus! :lovestruc It may happen for them yet? ::yes::

Crossing my fingers that you will get the shirt you want to make finished in time for your trip.

I'm glad to hear Josh and the dogs got home before the storm. Crossing my fingers that the storm won't be too bad.

Not much happening around here. Ulf was in Sweden this past weekend. I found this flight radar app (and website) that you can follow all flights around the world. The airport system in Norway have a website you can go to to see if your flight is coming as planned or if there are delays. The problem with this site is that they don't update it often enough so I have experienced many times that the site says the plane will land a specific time so I schedule to go and pick up Ulf at the airport at that time. When I'm on my way out the door at home Ulf sends an text message saying he now has landed. It's frustrating. It takes 15 minutes from I leave the house until I'm at the airport. Today Ulf was coming home by plane and I was going to pick him up. By using the flight radar app I was able to follow the plane so then I knew exactly when he would land and the plane did land when the flight radar app said it would. So from now on I will use the flight radar app instead of the airports own website.

Thank you, I hope so... The knives are supposed to be delivered today... So depending on what time they get here?

Yes, me too... It wasn't too terrible. Lots of freezing rain and snow on top... Roads will be tricky today - as the storm arrived later yesterday than they had predicted.

That's a bummer about the app... Our apps here are pretty reliable - though there is a bit of a lag too. The MCO app is fabulous! They even tell you how long the security line wait is - I watched that one closely for months so I knew what time to schedule our town car for. ::yes::

Hey Dorine!

Your life is so much more interesting than mine. We are back from a mostly wonderful trip to WDW, too. I wrote the briefest of trip reports and it's around here somewhere.

My daughter already wants to go back! She starts graduate school soon and will be scaling back her work hours, so I'm not sure that there will be one anytime in the near future. But you never know . . .

Ha! I feel like my life if so boring. LOL

Glad to hear that you had a good trip - welcome home! I'll try to find your TR... Do you have a link for it?

I hope you are able to find a way back to spend more time with her! Life is good! :lovestruc

Finally got caught up on your TR!

OMG-that picture of the baby tiger! I would die for it! When we visited in September, they were only a month old and not out yet. I'm heading to WDW in a week (!) and will be doing a rope drop at AK, not to go to Pandora-but to see baby tigers and the new baby hippo! I even booked the Wild Africa Trek to try and get a closer look at that hippo!

When are you heading to Europe? I'm visiting DLP in June and can't wait!

My sister feels the same way! She always collected the princess AnA bracelets but doesn't like the colored ones. I did push us to go in the store though, and she ended up buying 3 bracelets! A narwhal (she is obsessed with those), the September one (her birthday, and it had a turtle which is our family's symbol), and the Merida one because that was the main princess she didn't have.

I actually did buy this dress! And I wore it last night to a (non-Disney) wedding! It's super cute and so comfy. Plus pockets! I'm looking forward to wearing to Dapper Day this spring!

I know - isn't it adorable??? I was surprised at how big they were already... I fear that they won't be little cubs anymore by the time you get to see them. But the hippo... We didn't get to see him/her - it was just born while we were there and not out as often. We did ask though, and no luck.

I will be there in May/June... PM me - we can see if our dates overlap there. :)

It's very frustrating... I love all of my AnA bracelets so much and they have so much meaning to me... It's a shame that their quality is sub-par. Glad your sister was able to get some new bracelets that she likes though. :lovestruc

You did???? Awesome!!!! Pockets???? Really???? I totally missed that! And it will be a great dress for Dapper Day! :woohoo: I hope you'll share pics!

We had breakfast at the Wave when we were there in November. I had heard many good reviews about this breakfast buffet and I was anxious to try it. I had made to order French toast, which was very good, although not as good as the French toast at Grand Floridian Cafe. All in all, it was a very good breakfast buffet. Our favorite breakfast buffet is at Trail's End. We'll be eating there in just eight days from today, in fact.

That is the question I always ask when I see the adorable Disney clothes for sale. But I know I would never wear anything like that in the real world.

Disney food is much more expensive than "normal", although some of the entree prices are comparable to costs here in Chicago. We have been using Disney gift cards for food purchases but always end up charging to the room or a credit card.

That is an adorable charm. We like to stop in the AKL gift shop when we are at the resort for dinner at Boma. It has some unique items for sale.

We usually try to stay at the Wilderness Lodge on our January trips and I was rather disappointed this January when the Beach Club room was so much cheaper than anything I could get at WL. So we ended up booking a trip in February so that we could stay at our favorite resort.

We ate lunch at FQ when were stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in October. I thought that the remodeled restaurant looked great. I ordered shrimp and grits and was impressed that it was made to order. It was a nice lunch and we were glad we had eaten there. We are not fans of the beignets, though.

I love Victoria's hat. Both girls look adorable in their pictures.

Did you try the other items on the buffet or just the French Toast??? I didn't know that they did made to order items with the buffet? :scratchin I've also heard great things about Trails End too... One day I will get there. ::yes::

Yes - AKL does have a great and unique gift shop! It's definitely a favorite and I am glad I made it over there on this trip.

Glad you got to go back to WL too... It's on my bucket list - along with many others. Disney might as well just take all of my $$ now. ::yes::

I love that FQ was made to order... Later in this TR - we ate at the Contempo Cafe, and I have to say - the FQ c/s was WAAAAAY better than the c/s at the Deluxe resort - which was very disappointing.

V loves that hat - though she hasn't worn it since she's been home. :scratchin

**************************************************************************************************************

:woohoo: Yay!!! :woohoo: All caught up with replies before I leave!

I hope you all have a great week...

Since I am all caught up with replies, I may try to sneak in 1 or 2 little updates before I go??? :scratchin We'll see? Otherwise - see ya real soon! :grouphug: Prayers and pixie dust to all!

D~

Have a great trip :hug:

Thank you for telling me to look at Iamthequeens post about her son that was in Tromsø. I didn't notice her post :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter