~~~SEWING my way to POFQ ~ American Girl outfits & Custom Park Bags! ~~~

D-

Am just now getting caught up from the last few days. Glad to hear you made it back home and so excited to see your newest addition! Max is a perfect name for him. He is so cute! One of my dachshunds is AKC registered and is named Thor's Mighty Hammer. We call him Thor!

Just curious...were you able to get the snow globe home ok? Back in 2009 we were flying back from Disney and my son had picked out a snow globe as one of his souvenirs. We had it in our carry on because we didn't want to take the chance of it getting broken in a checked bag. TSA wouldn't let us through security with it. :confused3 Apparently it is a threat to security? Don't get me started..... The Disney store at MCO will ship it back home for you, but we didn't have time to get out of line and deal with it and then get back in line again. I was not happy and neither was my son. I ended up calling Parks Merchandise when I got home and was able to purchase another one for him. Hope you got home with yours. I wish I had seen your earlier post in time and I would have warned you ahead of time.

Glad to see you've started your TR! Can't wait to see your pics!

That is such a bummer about your son's snow globe... He must have been so upset - poor guy... Not to mention those things are not cheap, at all. I am sure those TSA agents probably have one darn good Disney snow globe collection, from all the ones that have to be left behind.

V's snow globe was actually packed in our checked luggage, because I knew about those regulations... so we wrapped it really good in tissue paper, then buried it with in the clothes. This is the second snow globe we've traveled with like this. I will add though - I will only let the girls get the small globes when we are at Disney - if they want the big globes, they have to order them through TDS.

D~

That is such a bummer about your son's snow globe... He must have been so upset - poor guy... Not to mention those things are not cheap, at all. I am sure those TSA agents probably have one darn good Disney snow globe collection, from all the ones that have to be left behind.

V's snow globe was actually packed in our checked luggage, because I knew about those regulations... so we wrapped it really good in tissue paper, then buried it with in the clothes. This is the second snow globe we've traveled with like this. I will add though - I will only let the girls get the small globes when we are at Disney - if they want the big globes, they have to order them through TDS.

D~

I'm so glad you were able to get it home! And that it made it back in one piece! You are braver than I am! My son was upset, but was old enough to understand why we couldn't take it and more importantly, that I would get him another one. Thanks goodness for the Disboards or I wouldn't have known I could call Parks Merchandise!! :)

So, I think it's time I put all of my links and info in one place - that way I can just link to it and it will be easy to find. :thumbsup2

I want to add - this grocery list is not mine... It is listed in one of the tutorials below.

Let's start with your "grocery list"... There are many things you are going to need to be able to restore a machine to it's original condition. When you are shopping, it is very important to get the brand listed and not use another brand - as the "other brand" may actually harm your machine. These particular products I have used myself while restoring my machines, and they have all worked with no damage to the original finish - however - I do suggest that you test in an inconspicuous place to be sure.

I also want to add, that a lot of these tutorials are done on the older black cast iron machines with the Japan finish. I want to assure everyone - that most machine's guts are identical inside - it's just the outside that is a bit different. I will add, however, if you are restoring a machine with adjustable cams - they will have the added cam shaft so they can zig-zag.

List:

*Liquid Wrench (for loosening screws - you don't want to strip them, they are HTF)
*Go-Jo (non-pumice)
*Brasso (or other brass cleaner)
*Kerosene (1 gallon can)
*Mothers Mag Wheel Polish or SemiChrome
*Scott's liquid gold (in the pour bottle - it's hard to find these days, I had to order mine from Scotts.com)
*Sewing Machine Grease (this is not oil... Singer makes it in a tube - looks like vaseline. Sew Classic also has it on their website in the Tri-Flo brand - which is the best)
*Sewing Machine oil (you must use actual sewing machine oil - not 3 in1 - which will totally wreck your machine over time. I highly recommend the Tri-Flo oil (avial. on the Sew-Classic website) - it is the best and I won't use anything else).

Tools:

Small flat screw driver
Medium flat screw driver
Pliers
Small Phillips screw driver
Medium Phillips screw driver
Old toothbrush
Cheap kitty litter pan (or a basin of similar dimensions that you'll never want to use again)
3/4" Cheap Paint Brush
Q-tips
Cotton Balls
Old T-shirt

Links:

Sew-Classic (this is where I go first for everything, Jen even has a store - items listed by model #, so they are really super easy to find the right parts for your specific machine, and I have purchased parts from her several times)
Tutorial: Part 1 - Cleaning your machine & disassembly
Tutorial: Part 2 - Cleaning your machine
Tutorial: Part 3 - Finish and Repair
You Tube Video for how to clean a vintage sewing machine - AWESOME!
Tension Adjustments
Replacing the handwheel and fiber gear - Ebay guide

There is also a message board on Yahoo Groups called: VintageSingers. You have to apply and be approved, it is a somewhat difficult process, because they won't let just anyone join. But you can try - there is a ton of info on their site.

This next link is a really awesome link - I didn't discover it until after I'd restored Patience, but... It's a group of people (anyone can do it) who restores vintage machines to send to 3rd world countries, so they can become self reliant. Not only is it an excellent tool with everything you need to know about restoring a machines, but it's an excellent cause - if you are so inclined to restore and donate a machine. :lovestruc

Tools for Self Reliance

Dating your machine:

ISMACS Singer serial # dates
Singer website serial # dating

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask... I am always happy to help! Since I am a huge advocate for Vintage machine sewing, I would love to turn someone's hobby into a true enjoyment from every aspect. There is nothing more satisfying (besides my family, of couse) than sitting down at a machine that someone else created on 75+ years ago, and I restored back to working order. The joy and confidence is just immeasurable. This might sound strange, but when I sit at my machines, they almost pulse with the memories of what they've created before me, and to be able to continue to create with these same machines brings a level of "completeness" to my hobby that I never thought I would ever experience.

If I find other useful links, I will be sure to update this post and post them here.

Happy Restoring!!! :lovestruc

D~

I have to say...Thank you so much for posting this!

I proudly use my grandmother's 1958 Singer 401A that I hope never dies. I have 3 other machines that my family have gotten me, but my use everyday machine is still the Singer.

I am always looking for the best way to care for it and keep it in tip top shape. The last time I had it in for service, all the technician would tell me was he hopes that it never breaks down because "parts can't be gotten". The sites that you shared now say that I can!

Like you, I can almost take the whole thing apart to clean it and put all back together. I love that machine.

Thank you so much for sharing these tips and links. :yay:

Just stopping by to say 'Hi!' Have read through your PTR and enjoyed your humorous writing style and your creativity with your machines. Both, nicely done.

Nope Ruf isn't a Ridgeback... the reason I know this is that my next door neighbor and very super-duper good friend has a RR, and her Keyka is a horse next to Ruf. Ruf is actually a 95% Yellow lab and 5% Pit bull - I hate telling people that because then they automatically think he's a bad dog... but you'd never know it in his temperment, you can only notice it if he holds his ears a certain way. He has been in our family for 11 years, and he is truly my

D~

Keyka is a great name for a Ridgie!!! I'll have to file that away. I had a RR growing up! Kino (kilimanjaros kiboko was his kennel name) after he passed we got two more Chance (not a great RR name) and Zakiya. If I ever decide to get a dog, a RR it would be!

I am so sorry that I've missed these posts! I don't check this thread very often since I started my TR.

I have to say...Thank you so much for posting this!

I proudly use my grandmother's 1958 Singer 401A that I hope never dies. I have 3 other machines that my family have gotten me, but my use everyday machine is still the Singer.

I am always looking for the best way to care for it and keep it in tip top shape. The last time I had it in for service, all the technician would tell me was he hopes that it never breaks down because "parts can't be gotten". The sites that you shared now say that I can!

Like you, I can almost take the whole thing apart to clean it and put all back together. I love that machine.

Thank you so much for sharing these tips and links. :yay:

What an awesome story! Pish-posh about your technician - you should give him "the list" and tell him where he needs to get parts. LOL Most of the time, the sewing machine technicians are influenced by the company they work for, and are told to "suggest" it's time for an upgrade, rather than fixing... As the company makes more $$ on a newer machine (that needs to be fixed all the time) from the original sale to all the service that's required. The vintage machines go on forever if they are properly taken care of, and I have no doubt that your Grandmother's Singer 401A (jealous) will run forever - and you'll probably never need to bring it in again to be fixed. Almost everything you'd ever need to fix on it can be done yourself. :lovestruc

I hope you'll continue to follow along (my TR link is in my siggy) and tell me what you're up to - I love hearing stories about what people are making!

Just stopping by to say 'Hi!' Have read through your PTR and enjoyed your humorous writing style and your creativity with your machines. Both, nicely done.

Thank you Diane!!! Sorry I missed your post. :hug:

Keyka is a great name for a Ridgie!!! I'll have to file that away. I had a RR growing up! Kino (kilimanjaros kiboko was his kennel name) after he passed we got two more Chance (not a great RR name) and Zakiya. If I ever decide to get a dog, a RR it would be!

Yes, Keyka is an energetic girl. We used to laugh because she is so HUGE and she had so much energy - she just annoyed Rufus to death. LOL But, now that Keyka is 2 y/o and starting to settle down, Max is annoying her to death. :rotfl2: Turn about is fair play. popcorn::

Again, my apologies everyone for missing your posts. :lovestruc

D~

Hi saw your post on the sewing thread and had to come over and read your TR. I'm only on page 2 but I wanted to tell you that some of your pictures aren't showing up. Is that my computer? I too was a beginner sewer and found the DIS sewing thread and made my first pair of Easy Fit pants for DD6. We are going to WDW in April 2013 so I want to start sewing for my DD6. Keep up the great work! Now back to reading :coffee:

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Actually, it's a bandwidth problem with Photobucket... They used to allow 25 GB of free downloads every month, but with their updated Terms of Service last month - they dropped it down to 10 GB per month.... Turkeys... They're trying to get more people to pay for the Pro service.

My month starts over tomorrow (the 7th), and I've fixed it so that I shouldn't have this problem again... The biggest culprit was my siggy... It had 117,000 views in 17 days - which used up my bandwidth for the month.

I hope you'll stop back and continue reading my PTR - it was a lot of fun and I really miss it! :)

D~

Absolutely I'm going to read it and then your TR too! I just was sad I couldn't see the pictures :goodvibes

I just checked and all of my pictures should be showing up now! :)

D~

I'm so happy that I could see all of your pictures now! WOW you're awesome! I love everything.

I just read and had to comment on your DH. Tell him thank you! I sitting reading and crying about your story. God Bless!

Awww... Thanks. (((Hugs))) I will pass your thanks on to DH as soon as he gets home.

I am glad you can finally see the pictures and you are enjoying my PTR. :)

D~

The screams echo through the arena, as the crowds anxiously await the unveiling....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Totally kidding, of course. Well, maybe not. We shall see.

So, most people that read my PTR, know that I have this OCDP issue. They also know that I love the Vera Bradley Hipster, it is my preferred bag to carry at all times, however, there were some quirks that I just couldn't get over.

I really thought about writing to VB, but who was going to listen to me? Probably no one. Even if they did modify my favorite bag to fit with in my criteria - it still wouldn't be Disney. See where I am going with this?

So, the strange person that I am, I decided that I would take it upon myself to create the perfect Disney park bag for me.

1. It had to be Donald
2. It must be supurb in quality
3. It must be quilted
4. It had to have a padded & adjustable crossbody strap
5. It must have a LGMH
6. It must have a zipper closure
7. It must have a slip pocket for park maps
8. It must have a small front zip pocket
9. It must be a bit bigger than the Hipster
10. It must have a clasp inside to attach my wallet to
11. It must have some sort of contraption to hold my water bottle upright
12. It must have a pocket to fit my Mini-Planner
13. It must have a pocket for my Sharpie
14. It must have quilted interior pockets
15. It must be FUN!

I wasn't sure I could live up to my requirements. But I think I did pretty good.

Requirement #1 - It must be Donald
Requirement #2 - It must be supurb in quality
Requirement #3 - It must be quilted
IMG_21443.jpg

Requirement #4 - It had to have a padded & adjustable crossbody strap (which I didn't photograph well)
Requirement #5 - It must have a LGMH
IMG_21498.jpg

Requirement #6 - It must have a zipper closure
IMG_215211.jpg

Requirement #7. - It must have a slip pocket for park maps
IMG_21465.jpg

IMG_21487.jpg

Requirement #8 - It must have a small front zip pocket
IMG_21476.jpg

Requirement #9 - It must be a bit bigger than the Hipster
IMG_215413.jpg
IMG_215514.jpg

Requirement #10 - It must have a clasp inside to attach my wallet to
Requirement #11 It must have some sort of contraption to hold my water bottle upright
Requirement #12 - It must have a pocket to fit my Mini-Planner
Requirement #13 - It must have a pocket for my Sharpie
Requirement #14 - It must have quilted interior pockets
IMG_21432.jpg

(back side of quilted interior pocket)
IMG_21411.jpg

Wallet clasp and water bottle contraption (which neither can be seen very well)
IMG_215312.jpg

Requirement #15 - It must be FUN!

(The back - who can really resist a Duck Butt???)
IMG_21509.jpg

(And Donald's hat as a zipper pull?)
IMG_215110.jpg

And in case you were wondering... You could carry a heavy Passporter in here - if you were so inclined... Which I am not.
IMG_215615.jpg

And, just because I can, and he's cute...
IMG_21454.jpg

With his matching wallet:
IMG_21443.jpg
aIMG_2137.jpg

D~

Love it, I am a huge Donald Fan

The screams echo through the arena, as the crowds anxiously await the unveiling....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Totally kidding, of course. Well, maybe not. We shall see.

So, most people that read my PTR, know that I have this OCDP issue. They also know that I love the Vera Bradley Hipster, it is my preferred bag to carry at all times, however, there were some quirks that I just couldn't get over.

I really thought about writing to VB, but who was going to listen to me? Probably no one. Even if they did modify my favorite bag to fit with in my criteria - it still wouldn't be Disney. See where I am going with this?

So, the strange person that I am, I decided that I would take it upon myself to create the perfect Disney park bag for me.

1. It had to be Donald
2. It must be supurb in quality
3. It must be quilted
4. It had to have a padded & adjustable crossbody strap
5. It must have a LGMH
6. It must have a zipper closure
7. It must have a slip pocket for park maps
8. It must have a small front zip pocket
9. It must be a bit bigger than the Hipster
10. It must have a clasp inside to attach my wallet to
11. It must have some sort of contraption to hold my water bottle upright
12. It must have a pocket to fit my Mini-Planner
13. It must have a pocket for my Sharpie
14. It must have quilted interior pockets
15. It must be FUN!

I wasn't sure I could live up to my requirements. But I think I did pretty good.

Requirement #1 - It must be Donald
Requirement #2 - It must be supurb in quality
Requirement #3 - It must be quilted
IMG_21443.jpg

Requirement #4 - It had to have a padded & adjustable crossbody strap (which I didn't photograph well)
Requirement #5 - It must have a LGMH
IMG_21498.jpg

Requirement #6 - It must have a zipper closure
IMG_215211.jpg

Requirement #7. - It must have a slip pocket for park maps
IMG_21465.jpg

IMG_21487.jpg

Requirement #8 - It must have a small front zip pocket
IMG_21476.jpg

Requirement #9 - It must be a bit bigger than the Hipster
IMG_215413.jpg
IMG_215514.jpg

Requirement #10 - It must have a clasp inside to attach my wallet to
Requirement #11 It must have some sort of contraption to hold my water bottle upright
Requirement #12 - It must have a pocket to fit my Mini-Planner
Requirement #13 - It must have a pocket for my Sharpie
Requirement #14 - It must have quilted interior pockets
IMG_21432.jpg

(back side of quilted interior pocket)
IMG_21411.jpg

Wallet clasp and water bottle contraption (which neither can be seen very well)
IMG_215312.jpg

Requirement #15 - It must be FUN!

(The back - who can really resist a Duck Butt???)
IMG_21509.jpg

(And Donald's hat as a zipper pull?)
IMG_215110.jpg

And in case you were wondering... You could carry a heavy Passporter in here - if you were so inclined... Which I am not.
IMG_215615.jpg

And, just because I can, and he's cute...
IMG_21454.jpg

With his matching wallet:
IMG_21443.jpg
aIMG_2137.jpg

D~

This bag is amazing! Very talented!! I love the water bottle holder inside the bag...wow so cool!!

You are very talented! I just found this site and your posts while looking for a bag to carry while at Disney. I absolutely love your ultimate Disney bags (i.e. the Donald Duck bag). I was hoping to be able to order one before we go (early Sept 2015); however, I noticed from your etsy site that you are booked until after October. Is it possible to order the pattern from you? I really love this style of bag and all the special compartments you have built into it. Please let me know soon...it takes me a bit to sew anything, especially with my very energetic grandson running around.
:tinker:
With Wishes,
Kathi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter