Sewing Needles on the airplane

Dis703

DIS Veteran
I leave on Saturday and I'm pretty sure there is no chance my costume for MNSSHP is going to be done by then. So I checked the TSA info and it looks like sewing needles are allowed in carry on. But I'm wondering if I'm allowed to use them during flight? Just figure it would be a good time to finish it up if I'm able. Of course if we hit turbulence I may lose an eye. :eek: Anyone ever sew during a flight? Or know if it's allowed?

I leave on Saturday and I'm pretty sure there is no chance my costume for MNSSHP is going to be done by then. So I checked the TSA info and it looks like sewing needles are allowed in carry on. But I'm wondering if I'm allowed to use them during flight? Just figure it would be a good time to finish it up if I'm able. Of course if we hit turbulence I may lose an eye. :eek: Anyone ever sew during a flight? Or know if it's allowed?
I've done sewing and other forms of needlework on planes post 9/11. Just be sure you are using blunt nosed short bladed scissors (3" to 4" blade max.) which may or may not be allowed at the whim of the TSA agent. Never had any problem with needles which I tend to pre thread and wax in multiples before arriving at the airport at which point I've no need for those silly toy scissors anyway.

I sewed a button on a pair of shorts on a plane and no one said a word, as another poster mentioned, be cautious with scissors, but the needle should be fine.

From various needlework Facebook groups.... small scissors are normally ok,but sometimes a cranky TSA agent will take exception. In a pinch you can use the cutter on a dental floss pack.

I always do needlework on flights. Though it makes the guy next to me nervous when I pull needles toward him.

A nail clipper can also be used in lieu of scissors.

I've done sewing and other forms of needlework on planes post 9/11. Just be sure you are using blunt nosed short bladed scissors (3" to 4" blade max.) which may or may not be allowed at the whim of the TSA agent. Never had any problem with needles which I tend to pre thread and wax in multiples before arriving at the airport at which point I've no need for those silly toy scissors anyway.

Thanks! Hoping I can get it done but if not it will be a great option to take care of in flight. No plans for that night either aside from checking in and eating at the resort so that will be helpful.

I did read under 4inches and preferably blunt, which we have lots of with kids scissors in the house, but I always have nail clippers in my bag so I'll probably skip the scissors anyhow.

Thanks for the replies!

Not quite the same, but I always have knitting on the plane. No one ever bats an eyelash. And often, I will have flight attendants stop by to see what I am working on and have been known to show me their projects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter