SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

however if you raise the number of children in the room by 1 to cover your other name, that won't change the room price and when the reservation modification feeds over into MDE (assuming it will) then it will give an additional slot where you can list your other person who needs to be set up for a FP.

What a great idea! Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I really appreciate it!

J
I found out from modifying my reservation from the last trip (which ended TODAY, sadly) that there is a price difference in the SOG rooms depending on how many adults are staying in a given room, so that part should be kept correct - however if you raise the number of children in the room by 1 to cover your other name, that won't change the room price and when the reservation modification feeds over into MDE (assuming it will) then it will give an additional slot where you can list your other person who needs to be set up for a FP.

So you can modify the reservation and increase the number of children by 1 in that room where you're short and see if that's a viable workaround until the interface between SOG and MDE gets the kinks worked out.

Brilliant!!! Thank you!

What a great idea! Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I really appreciate it!

Good luck, I hope it works - then once you are within your 30 days where the FPs will stay in place regardless, you can modify the reservation again to revert that change.

Just returned from an 8-day trip to DW staying at SoG (2nd time). Awesome hotel! It looks great and they are renovating 3rd floor rooms of the old (Magnolia wing) now. Also while we were there they completely replaced the carpet in the lobby with all new furniture. They were in the process of replacing all the hallway furniture throughout. The place looks great and is an awesome benefit for us retired military. I am retired US Air Force, 26 year career.

I read awhile back that changes were made to the laundry rooms. Would anyone know if the machines are now accepting credit credit cards instead of tokens? Do they still have the detergent vending machines? We arrive on 8/11, so I'm in last minute detail mode.

@capegirl We just returned from 8 days at SoG (2nd time). Aug 1-8. The new wing laundry room (on 3rd Floor) has been updated - no more tokens , you purchase a card with credits on it and swipe it at the machines. Credit cards accepted to fill up the laundry card. It is $2 per load or dryer. The Laundry room in the old Magnolia wing (next to room 281) is the old legacy token method. $1 per token, 1 token per load or 45 minutes in the dryers. NOTE, the token machine is frequently down so you have to go to front desk for tokens. ALSO, last week 8 of the 11 available washing machines were down.

A couple other things that I forgot to mention -

1 - When I was at SOG in 2016 and 2017, the parking garage was really not enforced as the lowering arm just stayed up at all times and people drive in and out at will. Well that has changed. There is now a new machine there that makes you tap your room card to raise the arm, and if you don't have a room key then you press a button for a ticket. When you depart the garage you tap your room key to get out, or insert your paper temp ticket and pay the proper fee for the time spent there. Maybe they had a continuing problem with people coming onto the grounds saying they were just going to ticket sales and then parking there all day (while they walked over to Poly to catch monorail), or perhaps with people who failed to mention during check-in that they did have a vehicle in an attempt to skip out on the $7 per day parking. The new machine that is in place addresses both of those.

2 - FOR THOSE DRIVING - there is a change to the traffic pattern just before the MK entrance, as the old days of staying right going through MK entrance and telling CM that you're heading to SOG is now gone. The exit to take is now about 1/4 mile before the MK entrance and does not say SOG anywhere on the signs so just follow the signs to "MK resorts" and "golf courses" and then about 1/2 mile later you'll recognize the same road that takes a left to go past TTC there on the right, and so on.
  • If you fail to make the turn before the entrance (as I did because I'd been going through that entrance for many past visits), it's not a big deal as the CM will let you through and tell you to take the first left and go past the Car Care Center (stay in left lane after the Car Care Center) and then shortly after that you'll get to a U-turn and you can try it all again.
  • There is also a sign that says that another traffic pattern change takes effect 8/15/18 (we'l be gone by then) and I don't know what that change is, just just be aware that they are making changes in the area and the same way you may have taken for past trips may no longer be valid.

@jeff_h We just got back and did the exact same thing you did, drove through the MK parking entrance and had to go around.

For all SoG experts....what sort of "flora and fauna" have you seen on the "Poly walk trail"? During this last trip in addition to the ubiquitous skanks, we could have sworn we saw a gator in the "swamp" along the entrance road. Also after a late night at MK for EMH, saw 2 deer out of the woods on the right (as you go in), they did not run when they saw us....

For all SoG experts....what sort of "flora and fauna" have you seen on the "Poly walk trail"? During this last trip in addition to the ubiquitous skanks, we could have sworn we saw a gator in the "swamp" along the entrance road. Also after a late night at MK for EMH, saw 2 deer out of the woods on the right (as you go in), they did not run when they saw us....

We've seen both. My husband also saw wild turkey when he was walking around on Thanksgiving (of all days).

When I ran the marathon in January, there were a few deer who hopped the road/course from GF to SOG and into the woods.

D6AD8FE3-7E9D-469A-AC72-EFE768B5C6DF.jpeg
I went out onto my patio and was greeted by this big fella!!

There is a small alligator in the pond, and there used to be a slightly larger one in the pond behind the Palm side. I am assuming that one was moved as it got bigger. We have seen lizzards everywhere, deer, turkeys, a peacock, ducks (in both the pond and pool ), cranes, rabbits, armadillos and 1 snake. Have enjoyed all but the snake!

We just returned from 10 day trip and our first stay at SOG. We were really pleased with the hotel. Staff was friendly, remodeled room was much more spacious than Disney values or moderates we have stayed at in the past, and grounds were very pretty. As mentioned in a prior post the path to Poly is open and was just a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the Poly monorail which was very nice. We only rode the SOG bus once as it just didn't fit our schedules.

The only complaint we would have is the wireless in our room was very weak but we knew that going in and we didn't take a vacation to Disney to be "connected" constantly anyway so it was fine.

Thanks to those on this thread who provided info for us prior to our stay...we really enjoyed it.

The two that I never thought I would see at SoG were a small Bobcat stalking a rabbit back by the tennis courts and an otter while walking down to the guard house. My wife and I had to take a triple-take with the otter and snapped a picture to prove we were not crazy!

Any military folks considered staying in a Disney Hotel at the military rate vs SoG? Been doing some checking and we may be able to get into Poly at something like $20 a night more than SoG…...

Any military folks considered staying in a Disney Hotel at the military rate vs SoG? Been doing some checking and we may be able to get into Poly at something like $20 a night more than SoG…...

For $20 more a night, I'd definitely stay at Poly. We've used the military rate on trips to Fort Wilderness and Port Orleans in the past. The great thing about Poly is that you can easily walk over to SOG if you need to (I'm thinking that amazing breakfast!).

For $20 more a night, I'd definitely stay at Poly. We've used the military rate on trips to Fort Wilderness and Port Orleans in the past. The great thing about Poly is that you can easily walk over to SOG if you need to (I'm thinking that amazing breakfast!).

You cannot do the breakfast at SoG that way. Had a long talk with the manager during our recent stay and they are cracking down on non-SoG guests at the restaurants. They now ask to see your green paper SoG guest passes every time you eat there. Doesn’t matter if you are military , retired, etc, you have to be a SoG guest

Oh I wish!! I'm ''just" a veteran so getting to use SoG again (was AD first time) is absolutely awesome. I tell myself it's the Poly Jr since I can still walk to trader Sam's and the monorail. I also understand that disney giving the military rate to all honorably discharged vets would essentially fill every spot everywhere.

I was booking a last minute trip this summer so could not get into SoG. Rather than stay off site, per usual, I used the military rate on a Deluxe (Contemporary). In no way, shape, or form was it only a $20 increase but, again I was a late booking and going during the summer. I think I paid about $200 more per night! What time are you looking at that is only $20 more than SoG rates? I need to book that!

What time of year was the poly rate only $20 more? I’ve never seen it less than 350 with the military rate. That would be unbelievable!

You cannot do the breakfast at SoG that way. Had a long talk with the manager during our recent stay and they are cracking down on non-SoG guests at the restaurants. They now ask to see your green paper SoG guest passes every time you eat there. Doesn’t matter if you are military , retired, etc, you have to be a SoG guest

That's a bummer. :(

That breakfast is one of the best values on property!

We did Thanksgiving dinner there last year and it was amazing! I've never seen so much food!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter