SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We just got our park tickets for our trip starting 17 Nov. I still need to link them, but we're set. We're on Royal Caribbeans's Harmony of the sea 3-17 Nov (b2b) and then onto SOG. Now, I just have to wait til 60 days out to do our FP+.

Not sure about the luggage transfer, but I'm sure someone will chime in with an answer for you. Although they will not guarantee room requests, SOG is very good about making it happen. They recently renovated the Magnolia Wing and if you request a first floor room on the splash pad side, you will have easy access to the pool from your patio.

Thank you! That's really helpful.

I asked this question in the memory maker thread, but I thought I would also ask here because it involves a military discount.

In March of 2020 DW, DD, my sister, BIL, niece and nephew, and my parents will be staying at SOG and spending a week at Disney. My father is retired military and we are pretty familiar with SOG. But, for the first time, my wife and I want to do the memory maker. I know that there is a military discount that my dad can get, but, can that then be linked to my MDE account and then I connect with everyone else in the group so that we can all get the pictures? My parents are only quasi-computer literate and it would be a lot easier for me to manage this for our group. Does guest relations just issue the card and then you use that to link to MDE and whoever enters it gets it, or is it automatically linked to a profile when it is issued? Thanks for any help.

I go every year with a group of my girlfriends. My husband is retired military so we stay at Shades of Green and get the discounted memory maker. We always go the day we get there to guest services at Disney Springs instead of waiting until our first park day to purchase the memory maker. I have to be the one to buy it (show my military ID), but they have always asked us which person's account we want it under and they get the email address associated with that account. We do happen to put it under my account because I'm the one who does all the pictures stuff, but it sounds like you could put it under a non-military person's account as long as the military person is there purchasing it. Whoever is the account holder that it is put on will be the only one who can download the pictures. Everyone else will be able to see them on their MDE (with a water mark on it) as long as you are connected on MDE and "allow" them to share your pictures. We did have an issue with my other friends' pictures that they took on their own not showing up on my MDE for me to download but it turned out that there is a filter on there and it was clicked to only show my pictures. We had to click it to show all friends' photos too and then they all showed up. Hope that makes sense!

Are Shades of Green guests eligible for the extra extra magic hours at DHS and AK? Those parks will be opening at 6 and 7am during our trip and I am wondering if we can take advantage of that as SOG guests?

Also, does Uber and Lyft work well at SOG? Do the drivers have any issues getting onto property to pick up guests since obviously most drivers won’t have proper I.D?

Are Shades of Green guests eligible for the extra extra magic hours at DHS and AK? Those parks will be opening at 6 and 7am during our trip and I am wondering if we can take advantage of that as SOG guests?

Also, does Uber and Lyft work well at SOG? Do the drivers have any issues getting onto property to pick up guests since obviously most drivers won’t have proper I.D?
Yes you can absolutely use those EEMH!! I would suggest asking at the front desk about whether the SOG transportation is going to be available... otherwise you could walk to the Poly and bus from there. I was there during a special AP event that was incredibly early at DHS and we ended up taking a Lyft (not Minnie van). It was $7. It took like 6 minutes, and they pick up/drop off near bell services. They will have to stop at the gate but their driver credentials will allow them for a pick-up or at drop off you can show yours.
Have a blast!!!

Yes you can absolutely use those EEMH!! I would suggest asking at the front desk about whether the SOG transportation is going to be available... otherwise you could walk to the Poly and bus from there. I was there during a special AP event that was incredibly early at DHS and we ended up taking a Lyft (not Minnie van). It was $7. It took like 6 minutes, and they pick up/drop off near bell services. They will have to stop at the gate but their driver credentials will allow them for a pick-up or at drop off you can show yours.
Have a blast!!!

We used Uber/Lyft in Nov 2016 and had to go to the end of the drive (so past the guard shack) to be picked up but on our Nov 2017 trip they were able to come up to the main drop off (bell services area) no problem. But then there had been talk last year of increased ID checks (such as checking all IDs on buses when they get to the guard shack, despite having to show ID to get on the bus), so I'm glad to hear that there has been recent success in having Lyft come up to the main building.

But then there had been talk last year of increased ID checks (such as checking all IDs on buses when they get to the guard shack, despite having to show ID to get on the bus)

Am I understanding correctly??? Are you saying there was talk about checking all ID’s of guests on the buses returning to the resort from the parks? That would be a nightmare and take quite some time with a full bus! Honestly if it came to that it would be a huge turn off to us staying there again.

Am I understanding correctly??? Are you saying there was talk about checking all ID’s of guests on the buses returning to the resort from the parks? That would be a nightmare and take quite some time with a full bus! Honestly if it came to that it would be a huge turn off to us staying there again.

Yeah, cause that might take a few extra minutes. Bases do 100% ID check so why shouldn't SOG? SOG is so worth it on so many levels.

Yeah, cause that might take a few extra minutes. Bases do 100% ID check so why shouldn't SOG? SOG is so worth it on so many levels.

Just my opinion! Having to check the whole bus each time we would come back from a park would ,in my opinion, take more than just a few minutes, and that would turn my family off. My opinion, no need to be snarky!

Just my opinion! Having to check the whole bus each time we would come back from a park would ,in my opinion, take more than just a few minutes, and that would turn my family off. My opinion, no need to be snarky!
I went last Sept and didn't have an additional ID check except when loading onto the buses (at park or at SOG itself). Every other time I actually took transportation back to the Poly and walked back. I know this is not something as simple for everyone (mobility etc), but another option maybe.

That's what I understand from previous posts in this thread, and Disney Military Tips mentions it (in an article about the new gate on the walking path) here: https://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/shades-of-green/shades-of-green-new-security-gate/. We go again at the end of this November, so I can report back if it's still being done. I personally don't think it'll take that long, but again, I don't have firsthand experience. My family also stores our resort IDs and picture ID in a little card holder which makes showing our ID for the bus or EMH super simple (I live in London so have several on hand that I bring for my family, but I'd think they would be fairly cheap to purchase).

We were there last week and it was 100% ID check to get on the bus, 100% check at the gate. Guard came onto the bus and walked the aisle, it was very quick. Maybe 3 minutes.

We were there last week and it was 100% ID check to get on the bus, 100% check at the gate. Guard came onto the bus and walked the aisle, it was very quick. Maybe 3 minutes.

Thanks for the recent update. We will be there in September and I think the check at the gate is overkill, just my opinion. We don’t normally stay at SOG, we have before but for only one night at the beginning or end of a trip. DH and I are kinda testing the waters so to speak since the kids aren’t coming on this trip. If we like it, it may be an option for future trips. But we never liked the bus schedule in the past, so we shall see!

Great an ID check after an ID check. Welcome back to Iraqi, can i just yell Jumbo to the Uganda's and keep the bus moving.....

It's been several years since we've stayed at Shades of Green - we're going in November and I'm so excited. I know the Disney resorts bell services will transfer luggage to SOG - does SOG have bell services and can they transfer luggage to Disney resorts? We're bookending our trip w/Disney resorts so this would be helpful.

Also, we'd like to put in a room request to be closer to the splash pool for our toddler. Any downside to this? Just a request and we won't be terribly disappointed if it's not granted :)

Just in case anyone else had the same question, SoG does NOT transfer luggage to other resorts.

Just an update for those who will be staying at SOG soon. We've been here since 8/19 and we've have a few inconveniences. We are on the 4th floor of the Palm wing, and on our second day here we returned to our room and all patio furniture had been removed due to a painting project, and there have been painters working outside the window for our entire stay. Had we been notified about this prior to checked in, I would have requested the Magnolia wing. Housekeeping was fine for a couple of days, but for some reason they stopped coming. I have had to call several times for fresh towels, etc, perhaps a staffing problem? When we returned from the parks this afternoon we found a letter under our door notifying us the water would be shut off for 4 hours on Tuesday afternoon so they can work on the pipes. We have guests stopping by for an afternoon visit tomorrow, so unfortunately this just a case of bad timing. UGH.

Just an update for those who will be staying at SOG soon. We've been here since 8/19 and we've have a few inconveniences. We are on the 4th floor of the Palm wing, and on our second day here we returned to our room and all patio furniture had been removed due to a painting project, and there have been painters working outside the window for our entire stay. Had we been notified about this prior to checked in, I would have requested the Magnolia wing. Housekeeping was fine for a couple of days, but for some reason they stopped coming. I have had to call several times for fresh towels, etc, perhaps a staffing problem? When we returned from the parks this afternoon we found a letter under our door notifying us the water would be shut off for 4 hours on Tuesday afternoon so they can work on the pipes. We have guests stopping by for an afternoon visit tomorrow, so unfortunately this just a case of bad timing. UGH.
That would have annoyed me about the painters. Were they sold out and couldn't move you? I had an issue once on one of our stays, in fact the one and only time I was on Magnolia side and it was over a balcony issue, and they were able to move us immediately, and moved over to Palm. Maybe we were fortunate on timing and occupancy. Never had unlucky lack of room service. Hope you were able to express the inconveniences to the management.

That would have annoyed me about the painters. Were they sold out and couldn't move you? I had an issue once on one of our stays, in fact the one and only time I was on Magnolia side and it was over a balcony issue, and they were able to move us immediately, and moved over to Palm. Maybe we were fortunate on timing and occupancy. Never had unlucky lack of room service. Hope you were able to express the inconveniences to the management.
This is the first time we have ever had such issues; seemed to be one thing after another. There were even problems with the elevator. The Palm Wing is beginning to show some wear and tear. I feel bad posting anything negative about SOG, because we love staying here. Other than these little vacation glitches it was all good. A shout out to the staff at the Express Cafe , they were awesome. Asked for a birthday cake at the last minute, and they came through big time, even gave me the candles! Also had some great steak tips at Mangino's, and had wonderful service.

Last edited:
Hi all! I have a quick question! We stayed at SOG last year for a couple days just to try it out and we really enjoyed our stay. So we plan to stay again, for longer, in 2020.
We have also convinced my father and his wife to stay and they will also be sponsoring one of her son's family.
Here's my question! We are wanting to have a family meal with a few family members that will be staying at a Disney Resort instead of SOG. I know they check IDs for Garden Gallery but is there any way to bring guests in to eat that aren't staying at SOG? There will be two sponsors in the party, one sponsored guest family, and two families that are not military nor are they SOG guests.
I hope all of that made any kind of sense! We plan to call SOG but I wanted to see if anyone here might have insight on this! Thanks!

Wait you have to show ID to get on the bus, to get in the resort and to get in the restaurant? This is starting to sound incredibly disruptive. We will have a party of 11 with 5 kids - is showing ID to basically move around the resort problematic? Doesn’t that just make it feel like you’re at work or on edge?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter