SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Anyone had any luck booking other Disney hotels through SoG? I think they used to offer overflow rates many years ago. I'm trying to plan an impromptu, last minute trip. SoG website doesn't show availability for my dates. I am going to call them this morning but just wondering what other's experiences were when SoG was full.

We did this a few years back.
It was not offered until we asked about it.
We got Caribbean Beach for about 20 percent of the rack rate, it was a very last minute trip.

We did this a few years back.
It was not offered until we asked about it.
We got Caribbean Beach for about 20 percent of the rack rate, it was a very last minute trip.

So, I did call them yesterday and specifically asked and don't offer anything. I did take the advice of a previous poster and call Disney reservations directly and ask for a military rate. They do offer really good rates. Quite a bit better than what their website shows for their current specials. I'm getting something like $345 for a Garden Wing Contemporary. $288 for Wilderness Lodge. Now trying to decide what to do. I will be honest, that resort parking fee is bugging me. We will have two cars there which is working out to roughly $50 a day for our party of 5. I'm leaning back toward an offsite rental. I realize that I still would have to pay to park at the parks, but we'd only be taking one car into the parks. Right now I'm trying not to let myself get in a twist about this and have it totally affect my decision.

So, I did call them yesterday and specifically asked and don't offer anything. I did take the advice of a previous poster and call Disney reservations directly and ask for a military rate. They do offer really good rates. Quite a bit better than what their website shows for their current specials. I'm getting something like $345 for a Garden Wing Contemporary. $288 for Wilderness Lodge. Now trying to decide what to do. I will be honest, that resort parking fee is bugging me. We will have two cars there which is working out to roughly $50 a day for our party of 5. I'm leaning back toward an offsite rental. I realize that I still would have to pay to park at the parks, but we'd only be taking one car into the parks. Right now I'm trying not to let myself get in a twist about this and have it totally affect my decision.

Interesting that they don't offer the discount anymore.
Shades of Green actually did our booking at Caribbean Beach for us while we were on the phone and gave us the reservation number.

If you stayed offsite, is your trip long enough that purchasing an annual pass for one member would be worth the free theme-park parking, restaurant discounts and photopass?

I realize that I still would have to pay to park at the parks, but we'd only be taking one car into the parks.

If you stayed offsite, is your trip long enough that purchasing an annual pass for one member would be worth the free theme-park parking, restaurant discounts and photopass?

Especially with parking / day at SOG being way cheaper, and even a quick stay there would let you get the AP at the tax-free rate, that's one day of parking right there in the savings (~$55)

Have they fixed it where you can use Magic Bands at Shades of Green yet? I plan on using them even if I have to buy them myself can still use at parks..

We’ve had two parking attendants let us park for free at the parks when we show our SoG resort paper. Is that a new perk like the 60 day FP+ now or were they just confused?

Have they fixed it where you can use Magic Bands at Shades of Green yet? I plan on using them even if I have to buy them myself can still use at parks..
You can’t use them here but we had old ones we are using for park entry and FP. Just easier than messing with the park ticket cards.

Especially with parking / day at SOG being way cheaper, and even a quick stay there would let you get the AP at the tax-free rate, that's one day of parking right there in the savings (~$55)

Unless I'm misreading you (apologies if so), I think you are saying you need to stay at SOG to get the AP tax free.

If you're DEERS enrolled you don't need to stay there to buy APs there (unless something has changed).

I posted a thread but maybe I should have posted here? Anyway, we are getting ready to book at SOG for the first time. My son is medically retired and I am his medical caregiver so I am taking care of this for him. We need to book two rooms. I went online and was looking at the online reservations and I am wondering...do I book one room and go back and book the second? If so then I select category two for the second room correct? I didn't see a way to book two at a time.

I realize this may be an unpopular sentiment here, but DW and I decided a while ago that SoG wasn't for us. The property is nice enough, but it doesn't have enough "Disney feel" for us.

We stayed there twice, and up to two years ago, we would go there every year to renew our military-rate annual passes (to save the sales tax). But now we don't even do that. Our last trip over there from the TTC involved a terribly surly bus driver (and we NEVER have difficulty getting along with people). In fairness, SoG dealt with him, but it wasn't a pleasant experience, and was decidedly un-Disney.

With the awesome military discount rates often available at WDW resorts in all price tiers, we stay on property at about the same rate and enjoy it more.
We are possibly trying SOG for the first time because rumors have been Disney is backing off the discounted military room rates. I am booking a SOG reservation just incase. I love to stay on property but really want to go so we will have to do what is the best deal. I hope we have a good experince :)

Unless I'm misreading you (apologies if so), I think you are saying you need to stay at SOG to get the AP tax free.

If you're DEERS enrolled you don't need to stay there to buy APs there (unless something has changed).
Oh! Thanks for the clarification!! I suppose I was going with what I knew, but thatst what applies to me, being a veteran, so I'm out of the loop on how tickets work otherwise...been a while!

I posted a thread but maybe I should have posted here? Anyway, we are getting ready to book at SOG for the first time. My son is medically retired and I am his medical caregiver so I am taking care of this for him. We need to book two rooms. I went online and was looking at the online reservations and I am wondering...do I book one room and go back and book the second? If so then I select category two for the second room correct? I didn't see a way to book two at a time.

Yes and yes.

Excited to be returning to SOG next April! Although we only had a one night stay eight years ago so it really will feel like our first time here. We may be out of our minds for coming during Spring Break though. I’ve started to read through this thread & I'm not clear on the room renovations. Will they be completed by next April or should I request a renovated room?

Excited to be returning to SOG next April! Although we only had a one night stay eight years ago so it really will feel like our first time here. We may be out of our minds for coming during Spring Break though. I’ve started to read through this thread & I'm not clear on the room renovations. Will they be completed by next April or should I request a renovated room?
Interested in the renovations also. We have never stayed at SOG and have a ressie for July 2019.
As far as spring break, we have done that before and it wasn’t bad. A good touring plan makes any time easy in my opinion! I’d much rather be going in April or May but school schedules and my ds visitation with my granddaughter leave us in the heat of the summer

Interested in the renovations also. We have never stayed at SOG and have a ressie for July 2019.
As far as spring break, we have done that before and it wasn’t bad. A good touring plan makes any time easy in my opinion! I’d much rather be going in April or May but school schedules and my ds visitation with my granddaughter leave us in the heat of the summer

My check-in for our August trip is two weeks from today... I'll ask about the renovation schedule and post any info that they give me.

the roof was replaced on the lobby balcony in March, All the roofs need replacement on the old side, Palm side should be fine. Mongolia 3rd floor had leaks and all the rooms are pretty old.

FYI for anyone going there now. Walkway to the poly has been closed for refurbishment for the last few days. Not sure how long it’s sxodcted to last

My check-in for our August trip is two weeks from today... I'll ask about the renovation schedule and post any info that they give me.
Thank you!! We are going in Feb 2019. Wanted to know which side to ask for as far as newly renovated would go. I'm thinking Magnolia side, near lobby, golf course view. Any thoughts?!?!

Thank you!! We are going in Feb 2019. Wanted to know which side to ask for as far as newly renovated would go. I'm thinking Magnolia side, near lobby, golf course view. Any thoughts?!?!

I've never asked for one side or the other when I've made my reservations, the only thing I've ever specified in the comments is reservation number of the other room I'd just booked and then checked the "adjoining" box and it's never been a problem.

In 2014 and 2016 we got Palm side, and then 2017 we got 3 rooms on Magnolia side and while they were still in better shape than the majority of Comfort/Quality/Hampton/etc that I've stayed in, it was time for renovation as the tub drains in 2 of the 3 rooms were not working right. Things like that just happen with daily use after years and years and this was a few months before the renovations were supposed to start in late 2017 as they told me when I was there last year. So I'll see which side we get in a couple weeks and ask about the status of any renovations and post here.

The biggest gripe I've always had about the place and have put it in the feedback each time is that if you get located down near the end of one of the wings then the wifi signal can be very weak to being non-existent. In 2016 and 2017 I ended up doing a lot of my online work on laptop from the main lobby instead of the room itself in order to get a good signal. But again I've noted that each time and I assume that gets passed to whatever network firm has the contract for the building, will see if it's any better this time around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter