Shades of Green/Military discounts?

leebee

DIS Veteran
We've done 30+ trips to Disney, so when DD's cousin-in-law started asking questions about planning a trip to Disney she referred her to me. I'm just starting to chat with her about this when I realized that her husband is active military. I know nothing about SoG or military discounts. How does one go about this? Can you book SoG directly through Disney, does SoG qualify for Disney resort discounts, meal plan, take Dis VISA rewards points, etc.? I've been looking online but haven't found anything very helpful, so thought I'd ask here. Where should I start looking for SoG booking info, discounted tickets, etc- or what can I pass on to DD's cousin?

OOOPS, maybe I asked too soon... just found the SoG thread on the resorts board. Don't know why I looked online instead of here, first... DUH!!!

We've done 30+ trips to Disney, so when DD's cousin-in-law started asking questions about planning a trip to Disney she referred her to me. I'm just starting to chat with her about this when I realized that her husband is active military. I know nothing about SoG or military discounts. How does one go about this? Can you book SoG directly through Disney, does SoG qualify for Disney resort discounts, meal plan, take Dis VISA rewards points, etc.? I've been looking online but haven't found anything very helpful, so thought I'd ask here. Where should I start looking for SoG booking info, discounted tickets, etc- or what can I pass on to DD's cousin?

OOOPS, maybe I asked too soon... just found the SoG thread on the resorts board. Don't know why I looked online instead of here, first... DUH!!!
Military Disney Tips... Go there, Steve can tell you all! We go all the time on Military Discount my husband is retired Military..

Another vote for Military Disney Tips; it's a fab resource.

Shades of Green is not operated by Disney though, so you need to do all room bookings directly through there. You also won't be able to purchase the Disney Dining Plan, you won't get a magicband with your booking (you can always buy your own or one you already have for your tickets, but you can't charge to your band, since that's really just Disney charging to your hotel room), and you won't have access to the Magical Express. You will have access to EMH at the parks though. Disney does offer military discount on rooms and tickets though for their resorts, which you can book by calling (can't book online), but it's a kind of sliding scale (up to 40% discount on deluxe, up to 35% discount moderate, and up to 30% discount on value resorts). For us, SOG has always been the best value, but my dad is in the lowest price category at SOG (you pay based on what your rank is).

I also always keep an eye on the Shades monthly specials: https://www.shadesofgreen.org/accommodations/special-offers/monthly-specials

As said, SOG is not a part of Disney so no dining, magic bands, magical express, etc. But they do get 60 days for fastpasses. All prices are on their website. Just note that people are typically booking there at 365 days out, so it can be difficult to get the days you want when booking closer to a trip.
We had to call (or rather have my TA do it lol) for Disney military discounts. They vary greatly depending on the week, how long, if there's even any rooms left for a discount, etc. One person might get 35% off and another might only get 20% off even at the same resort. They typically release military discounts at the end of september for the following year.

Tickets wise, each family (so either the active duty member or ID holding spouse) can get up to 6 "salute" tickets a year. These are 4, 5, or 6 day park hoppers (also can do park hopper plus). They're a fantastic deal. They can be bought either through SOG (even if not staying there!) or at a local base. Additional tickets can be bought tax free, just not at the great salute discount.

Dining plan can be added to a room only military reservation, just has to be done over the phone. No discount ever given and can't do free dining (but the room and ticket savings is much better lol).

So it's a bit more effort than making some clicks online, but well worth the savings. Glad you realized that they can get some great deals! I feel bad when I hear of military families not realizing what is available and missing out.

I always get a great discount from Disney with their resorts. IE. POP. And that way we can use DME. You have to call Disney. It’s worth the call.

We've stayed there quite a bit and going again this year.
  • Booking, yes, right from SOG website. Or call. I had to do that for this next trip because online it appeared booked, called and they were able to make it work. This isn't always the case, though. One night reservation paid at time of booking, cancellation and modification to reservations must be 30 or more days out to not forfeit the deposit. Extenuating circumstances under 30, don't know. If they want to call Disneyworld reservations and ask about military discounted rooms, that's another option rather than staying at SOG.
  • No, it doesn't qualify for Disney resort discounts, they can see the room rates for their particular qualification on the website.
  • Meal plan, no. However, one could book a room with a SOG only dining package, Sunrise or the Red, White, and Blue. But these are for the restaurant there at SOG.
  • Disney VISA rewards points, no.
  • Discounted tickets. They can get at their installation, or if not serving on one can contact closest installation LEISURE travel services, or from SOG. The Armed Forces Salute discount (2020 Military Promotional ticket) is a good discounted rate.
    • They won't be activated though if NOT bought from SOG, so they'll have to activate prior to going in the parks, they are vouchers that will be exchanged for tickets. That's another discussion on how, there is some mention on it here somewhere in the boards if you do a search, or as suggested the mil Disney tips website.
    • For 2020 tickets, are good through Dec 18, so just something they keep in mind if booking for example, Christmas. And, a limit on amount of those that can be purchased.
    • Tickets from SOG are already activated, picked up when checking into resort at the check in. Once a reservation for room is made, SOG emails them a ticket order form approximately 100 days prior to check in (mine was 90), and they fill out their ticket request and send it back via fax or email to SOG. Also included with the email is info on how to link on MDE. SOG will then call within 96 hours of receipt (we were told to allow that much time) and finalize details with them on the purchase and credit card, takes just a few minutes.
The spouse or the active military person needs to do their booking. You can't do it for them. FPs are 60 days out. Dining 180. Magic bands are not used at the resort, but we use magic bands (bought from Disney store) anyway for the parks for FPs and our tickets linked on there for getting in/out of the parks. They link the room reservation, tickets, (and bands if purchased) in MDE, if having trouble linking things, they call Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!