Shades of Green

wilde_oscar

DIS Veteran
there is a good reason that Shades of Green is like an "army base"... it is in fact a military installation. MWR (Morale Welfare & Recreation) which is part of the DOD has a few locations such as this (the one on Waikiki beach is really nice).

This location at WDW is one of those situations where Disney takes a hit for the team so to speak... as I remember the lease is free hold perpetual and only cost MWR 1$.

shadesofgreen.org has a bunch of information

yes it's an armed forces recreation center...
i've never been to SoG, but i have been to the one in Korea...

I always wanted to stay at SoG, but our one ticket to the property (my FIL), was the most anti-disney person on the planet (along with the rest of my and DH's family)...

We hope to try the AFRC resort in Germany next summer. :thumbsup2

The Hale Koa is an outstanding resort and the only place we will stay in Oahu (well...until the new DVC is built anyway!).

I have a few questions. My dad is retired military and we would like to just go over and take a look at the resort to see if we would want to stay there. How do we get there? I never see a bus going from the park to that resort. Also does magical express take you there from the airport?

No ME for SOG guests (unfortunately!). You can get to the resort by using their bus stop @ the Ticket & Transportation Center or walking over from the Poly.

My wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1991 when it was still the Disney Inn. We loved it. Would like to stay there again but alas I am only an outside Independent contractor for the DOD. It is not a bad walk from the Polly.

Jeff

If I weren't getting such an amazing rate at CBR (for a gymnastics meet) We'd stay at Shades of Green again in a heartbeat. It's a beautiful resort and the rooms are HUGE (some of the largest on property) The staff is very friendly and the only problem we had was loud and obnoxious guests in the quiet pool that ran us out with their beach ball (almost drowned my son). You're getting a deluxe resort for about the price of a value (in June it was $101 per night per room).

It's very close to the TTC and you can either hop on their bus or walk over to the Poly or TTC. It's a nice walk.

The wife and I (both active duty) tried to get in there for our honeymoon, it was booked solid 6 months in advance. It's a very popular resort. It is beautiful from the outside though.

We hope to try the AFRC resort in Germany next summer. :thumbsup2

The Hale Koa is an outstanding resort and the only place we will stay in Oahu (well...until the new DVC is built anyway!).

The Eidelweiss Lodge is beautiful! If you have a chance to stay there, I HIGHLY recommend it.

My friends and I stayed at the SoG in March. It really is a beautiful resort. I would stay there again in a second.

We have had multiple stays at the SOG and are planning another stay in April 08... we love it..... we do miss not having ME - but when we want dining plan we stay at a value or a mod - when we don't we stay at SOG.... it is really the perfect resort for us... my DH and DS love to golf and it is right there out the door.... we always request the older section pool side room... then I can sit on the balcony and watch DD at the pool (she is 17) and DS on the putting green......the staff has always been great... the buffet is okay but great price... the food at the club house is not to bad...my DS loves the arcade....it's really a great hotel and the price can't be beat!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter