Shanghai Disney Annual Passholders--Disappointed?

supedewoop

Earning My Ears
I was SO EXCITED to finally have a Shanghai Disney AP and while I have "used" it to the value, I feel a little disappointed when I compare it to things available at other parks--even my HK AP seemed more beneficial and I barely used it to the value.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many of my issues are the language barrier and I get that! I live in China! I'm trying to learn Chinese! But, I also know that a lot of other, smaller companies have better accommodations for foreigners, even those that don't cater to a majority of foreigners, but still value them as customers.

Some of the interface is through WeChat and not bilingual. While I understand the necessity of WeChat in China, I also know of other companies that are much smaller and have designed bilingual WeChat stores and presences. This is most inconvenient for the newsletters about events. For the AP days promotion, as an English speaker, I had difficulty accessing a lot of the benefits. It wasn't clear to me that I had to pre-register for the character meet & greets, for example. Wechat itself has now integrated better translation features for text in newsletters, but images with text, or hot buttons are still not translated--and Disney uses both on occasion.

I forgot my AP once and the process to get a new one issued was not customer-friendly. I was travelling back home through Shanghai and forgot my pass in my everyday-purse which I wasn't bringing with me. To get a new pass, you must report the loss and wait 3 days. I was able to get a single day's pass, but wasn't allowed to use any of the perks (coupons) because they need to see the AP. I would much rather just pay a fee, which was the process at Hong Kong.

On top of that, to register an AP and use the ticket, there are so many layers of security. I need my passport because it's registered to my passport number, they have my photo in their system, I have it connected to the shd app and my personal wechat account. But, that little flimsy piece of paper in a plastic sleeve is the most important part? Okay. Again, I live in China, and I understand measures to protect fraud and am well accustomed to having no privacy, but this seems excessive even for my experience.

And, actually, the plastic card from HK was much more convenient than the SH plastic sleeve. It won't fit into my wallet nicely. so it gets kept with my passport now.

I also feel like some of the initial "salespitch" was misleading, although it's been modified since. Hotel discounts, in particular, were suggested to be a huge perk but are only sometimes--and it's not communicated when they do and don't exist as far as I can tell. When I "lost" my pass, I was also told that the 3 day wait "should have been" made clear to me when I signed up. I asked them to point out the spot in the pamphlet where it was mentioned, and they couldn't find it. The "early access" is basically 12 free passes of what they charge others for. It also needs to "reserved" in advance. "Other perks" were mentioned, but other than the questionable AP days, I have never seen notification of them.

As far as I can tell, there's no AP-exclusive communication--at least that I've been able to find. The Wechat account is just the regular Disney account and sometimes there's an article about the AP, but it seems more like an opportunity to sell the AP than helping the AP members take advantage of their benefits.

I also feel like there's just not enough changes to really justify going often! The seasonal offerings are underwhelming, if they exist at all. I always try to do 4 new things--as small as a new snack or show (even in Chinese!) each time, and I'm not sure what's left. I've only spent about 8 days there so far, over the course of 6 months.

I have slightly adjusted my expectations going forward. I have about 4-5 months left and I'm hoping to do 3 or so 2-day trips in that time, starting with a Halloween one. I'm thinking of starting pin-trading, though I know it's rare, but still gives me something to focus on. I also want to start a wechat and hopefully find other English-speaking SH Disney fans and do meetups and things. I don't quite know where to begin though...

Compared to the benefits at other parks--major discounts, exclusive merchandise, free gifts, special access to events--I feel like it's really lacking, even if I've recovered the cost of the tickets. I would not be going to Disney as often if I didn't have the ticket.

I'm interested in hearing about others' experiences with the SH AP. I'm fully aware I'm probably being too down, but I'm really hoping to have reasons to renew in the next few months. At this point, I think I'd rather save for less frequent HK trips than renew SH.

I'm not an AP holder but it's interesting that you enjoy HKDL more than DLS. While I don't dislike HKDL, I do find it quite boring after a day or so. There just isn't much there, IMO. DLS, I was there for 3 days and still wanted to stay beyond that. I really enjoy the attractions a lot more than I do at HK.

I have come to enjoy DLS more than I did originally, but I still don't feel like there's enough variety or attractions there. I can do more repetitions of what I like in HKDL than in DLS, both because of crowds/lines when I've been there (though it's a bias. I tended to go to HKDL on weekdays and DLS tends to be weekends) and my personal preference. It might also be the language. I might like Voyage to the Crystal Grotto more if there was an English option, for example.
I have heard but not confirmed that Tarzan closed in DLS, which would be a huge loss, it was one of my favorite things! I made sure to catch a show every time! I prefer that to the HK equivalent Festival of the Lion King, and maybe even Mickey's Wondrous Book. I will check out the Frozen show, though, next time. I think it's all in Chinese, but I've heard it might still be worth seeing.

I have come to enjoy DLS more than I did originally, but I still don't feel like there's enough variety or attractions there. I can do more repetitions of what I like in HKDL than in DLS, both because of crowds/lines when I've been there (though it's a bias. I tended to go to HKDL on weekdays and DLS tends to be weekends) and my personal preference. It might also be the language. I might like Voyage to the Crystal Grotto more if there was an English option, for example.
I have heard but not confirmed that Tarzan closed in DLS, which would be a huge loss, it was one of my favorite things! I made sure to catch a show every time! I prefer that to the HK equivalent Festival of the Lion King, and maybe even Mickey's Wondrous Book. I will check out the Frozen show, though, next time. I think it's all in Chinese, but I've heard it might still be worth seeing.
Frozen is in Chinese, I still have videos from the sing a long. But for frequent Frozen sing a long goers at WDW, it’s pretty easy to watch and know what’s going on. I agree with you in enjoying HKDL more in some respects. We’re in the minority because there is more at SDL, and pirates nearly matches Mystic Manor imo. A lot more to do at SDL. But as you’ve said, the lines are short in HK. And at SDL I experienced a lot of line cutting as a solo traveler, was shoved many times. I actually jerked and threw a women’s backpack that she kept repeatedly slamming into my back at the fireworks mob in front of the castle - because I was stuck in the crowd and she didn’t like the pause in moving. One of 3-4 instances I went through that I’d never expect at WDW.

I mean, as far as headline attractions go, HKDL can't hold a candle to DLS. Once you get through Space, Mystic Manor, and Grizzly Mountain, there just isn't much to do.

I mean, as far as headline attractions go, HKDL can't hold a candle to DLS. Once you get through Space, Mystic Manor, and Grizzly Mountain, there just isn't much to do.
I think they’re adding to the marvel attractions and maybe a Frozen themed land if I remember correctly from last earnings call. But the lower amount of attractions at HK is why SDL is getting very crowded/ popular and Hkdl is not as new but still thin on attendance. Chinese flocking to SDL.

I think they’re adding to the marvel attractions and maybe a Frozen themed land if I remember correctly from last earnings call. But the lower amount of attractions at HK is why SDL is getting very crowded/ popular and Hkdl is not as new but still thin on attendance. Chinese flocking to SDL.

Yes I've heard that but it wasn't necessarily my experience earlier this year. I went on Wed-Fri and only Friday was a bit crowded. Wed and Thurs were almost empty.

Yes I've heard that but it wasn't necessarily my experience earlier this year. I went on Wed-Fri and only Friday was a bit crowded. Wed and Thurs were almost empty.
Especially if at SDL in the spring or May, during the week. As I said I like the attractions at SDL, and it’s a beautiful park. I just had too many bad experiences with some of the guests at the park and in the city where I don’t want to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter