Shanghai Disneyland post- trip report 4/26/18-4/28/18

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
I left SDL yesterday, and I have plenty to discuss. Not all of my experiences were positive. I didn't have lofty expectations of not running into challenges. Despite a few less than desirable instances, I'd be open to going again someday. But given I haven't been to the other international Disney parks, I'd venture to HK or Tokyo over SDL.

4/19/18 Layover in Shanghai:

No real issues obtaining the temporary visa under the 24 hr exemption. I discovered when at the front of the line that there was a form to fill out, which had me wait on about 5 other people. But other than the delay, they took my photo and stamped my passport. They didn't ask for my hotel confirmation or seat confirmation for departing flight (21 hrs away).

Please learn from my experience. For my 1st leg of the trip to Shanghai Pudong Int'l Airport (connecting to Seoul), I wanted to experience the Maglev and took it to Longyang Rd. subway station. Cost was 50 cny (just under $8). The trip took about 8 min over 30 km (19mi) at top speed of 267mph per Google. The trouble started after I followed the signs for a taxi and couldn't find a taxi hub/cabs anywhere once I got outside. I initially ignored all of the guys who were aggressively engaging travelers coming out of the station, claiming they were taxi drivers. But I gave in when I couldn't find a taxi. The man took me to his white Toyota, claimed to have a meter (which was his phone on his dash, serving as a gps). I wanted to get out then, but he had already started moving after I spotted his phone. I had my printed directions and address in Mandarin ready - it was supposed to be nearby. Of course the driver claimed it to be much further, and pointed to an area I knew to be back toward/past Pudong. After a few minutes of arguing, I demanded he let me out of his car. But he wanted all of my cash from my wallet to get my bag out of the trunk. Panic washed over me because I didn't want to get out of the car just to have him drive away with my bag. I had to threaten to headlock him from behind if he didn't get out of the car with me and open the trunk. When he finally agreed, he made a last attempt to get 200cny from me. I refused and started walking the several blocks back to the station, half expecting that he chase me down for a fight.

After several attempts, I got some help purchasing a train ticket and directions to my destination (I think it was line 2 for a few stops and line 8 for 1 stop). There was a nice guy in the line 2 train who spoke some English and helped me with the changeover, even walking me to line 8. He said that what happened to me was not surprising. From my final train station, I found my hostel (in a little alley) with help from a police officer. My plane landed at 5pm, and it was about 10pm by the time I made it to my room! I had purposely chosen to stray from the airport so that I could walk to the Bund/Yu (otherwise known as Yu Yuan) Garden. Those plans for that night were shot after that debacle. My hostel was a shoebox, but only about $45 for the night (The Phoenix Hostel). It took a min to figure out, but the room requires you to place your room key card in the slot by the door in order to turn on the lights (also that way at Toy Story Hotel). The toilet had a sign that said you have to waste basket your TP in order to ensure flushing. The shower was about 2 ft wide. But I was happy to be retiring for the day. I ate some packed foods rather than venturing out for a late meal.

I couldn't sleep well, so I started my walk to the Bund around 6am. It was a good distance, but probably took perhaps 20 min with the traffic lights. Google Maps became my best friend. I settled for seeing the Bund blgs during the day, without it's glow at night, which wasn't ideal, but I took comfort in finding it during the day at my leisure. I photo'd locals who were exercising with their traditional customs/swords, and restaurant workers peeling veggies on the sidewalks. Stray dogs were in abundance, and everyone, including women seem to spit. There were droppings on the sidewalks near parks to side step. I had trouble locating the Garden (opened at 8am) even with the navi. When I finally found it, it was time to get back to the hotel to make my way back to Pudong Airport. I took the metro the whole way, this time without help. The total cost was only 7cny (3 connections, perhaps 1.5 hrs). I couldn't figure out how to book the connections when buying a ticket in the kiosk so I had to pay 3 cny to exit at the station near Pudong.

Phone apps:

I had added Microsoft Translator, since it’s not blocked China. But I later discovered that Genie Talk translated better. Still had trouble with both in terms of translating well enough. Typing in my phrases, rather than speaking them, and keeping them short, helped. I used GlobeConvert - which takes very little memory and works offline (just uses the last updated exchange rates), and had pre-saved the Korean Won and Chinese Yen. I also wrote conversion notes in my phone and memorized that 100 cny was about $15.93 and used that as basis for approximating all prices. WeChat and KaKao were my free texting/calling tools. WeChat is necessary if you bought the season park pass. I also downloaded DiDi, and of course the SDL app.

Cash/Cards:

RMB and CNY are essentially the same in representing the Chinese Yuan.

Chase doesn't charge a fee for foreign currency, but their changeover rates "cost" me about 10% vs. what I could see were current rates per GlobeConvert. I took about $50 ea. for Won and Cny, mainly for a taxi the first days at ea. country. I opened both a Fidelity and Charles Schwab checking acct that offered 1% and 0% exchange fees and waived all atm fees (including the local atm fees). I carried 3 atm cards and 3 no foreign trans. fee credit cards. All cap.one cards, and I believe all discover has no foreign fees. I opened an HSBC card ($150 bonus too boot) + brought 2 existing BOA cards as backups. My 1 atm trans. at a Citi in the Bund and 2 at Toy Story Hotel (located past the elevators going left when entering lobby) and near the bathrooms. There were no surprise fees when I checked today. All dining/stores at SDL took cards except the pop/ice cream carts.

4/26/18 Incheon (Seoul) to Pudong:

I was nervous that my 3 day stay wasn't going to count for the 144 hr visa exemption because my 3rd country out was my home country (USA) and an article specifically stated it would not work. An LA native in front of me in line went from USA to Hong Kong to China (then planning on departing for USA). He had added the HK leg just to try to get the exemption. He was denied. 2 other people who had China as a connection (without staying overnight), were upset to be told to go through this line to apply for the exemption. 1 of them missed their connection, because it was only an hour layover. Several of us let her cut in line to help get her to her flight. There were some heated exchanges between her and the airport authorities. I kept thinking that she should kind of tone it down. This wasn't the U.S. We were in a 3rd world country that could treat you like a prisoner if you lashed out and they didn’t like you.

I had to show my confirmation for Toy Story Hotel and seating for my departure flight to get a stamp this time, and questions as to why I was there, who I knew there... luckily we planned for this. The clerk even laughed when I pointed at my donned Mickey shirt, recognizing my feeble attempt at using it has further evidence of me going to SDL.

Pudong to SDL via a taxi (a real one this time please!):

I found the taxi station outside, asked for a printed out quote (they wouldn't do it). So the green or yellow cars/vans with a taxi sign on the roof are what you want. The cars are cheaper and will start out at 14 cny, while the van will begin with 16 cny (I initially wondered why). The rate can increase on wknds. Didi does require a local number (I got one from my sim purchase). Didi will also come with coupons for 15% off and 8 cny free, which are redeemable in the app. I booked a ride by mistake just trying to see a price. You can cancel within 1 min with either a small fee or free (I haven't seen any pending charges so far). I got several phone calls right after I booked a ride. There was an option to text something like 'this is my location, please stop calling.' Didi does ask you to put in a card # and one person said it actually asked him for a SSN (didn't for me). The locals say Didi will usually be a little cheaper. There are options to choose a Premier, Luxury, Express, Taxi. Express is the cheapest, can mean a shared ride. I didn't go with the metro because it was already 11:40 am, and the route went out of the way to LongYang and lines 16/11 connections that looked like would easily take over an hour. You could take the Maglev to LongYang for 50 cny, like I did on the 1st connection, to save time, but it would still take over 30 min (I think google quoted 38 min) just for the last 2 connections (about 3cny) via metro.

Conclusion, best to take a taxi or Didi. DW had printed me the Disney subway station, bus station, and hotel address Mandarin, but the taxi crew still had trouble locating the address in advance. After a few min. we were on our way. I was worried the whole time that the taxi would take me someplace else, so I was google mapping our route just to make sure (it turns out I should have on the way back to the airport, more on that later). Taxi was allowed to drop me right at the hotel (around 30 min, maybe a little less), and only cost me 73 cny!

Toy Story Hotel Check in:

After taking a couple of photos, I lined up to stow my bags (veer right after you enter hotel). I knew it was too early to check in around noon (they will not let you in your room before 3pm), but I saw there were no lines, so I went to the desk to put in my request for a room near the lobby (shorter walk to/from the bus). I think there were about 6-7 floors (800 rooms). Lobby is on 2nd floor and I reserved a 1st floor corner room (dining is on 1st floor). The hotel is bright, well-themed (I hope DW can add some photos for me later). My room featured several keepsakes. And I don't mean the mini shampoos and lotions. There are Toy Story Tins with toiletries (I didn't even look inside - I just took it!). I asked if it was ok to take a Toy Story room pen and pad (they gave me a new set). I didn't figure out until the last night that there are free blue Toy Story canvas bags! I asked for 5 for gift giving bags. The water heater for coffee/tea was a challenge - it only worked if you take the jug out of the serving platter for a better connection. They stocked the room with up to 6 aquafinas daily. And if you forget to pack a water bottle for the park, you should take at least 1 of these to refill (there are much less water fountains than someone from the U.S. is accustomed to, and QS locations will not give you free ice water (there are some hot water stations for soup/tea). The hotel reminded me of a moderate hotel in terms of quality, at about Pop Century/Art of Animation pricing. There is no pool (I wouldn't use anyhow), there is a Lotso store, and scheduled character greet station. @Nomarian, the check in counter did want my activated season pass in order to do the room request and issue my room card. This was supposed to speed up my check in later by allowing me to go to a middle counter to the left - in between concierge and check in to scan and activate key. And indeed, late at night, the check in and baggage counters were very busy, since a lot of people went to the park on their 1st day before checking in. CM was able to reserve my 10% discounted room with my printed season pass confirmation (without it being activated). I was told to go to the Disneytown entrance.

1st Day at Park 4/26 (Thurs., opening of Toy Story Land), approx. 1pm:

I had only waited about 10 min. for a bus. And the ride was very quick (under 10min). I was told to go to Guest Services at Disneytown, then proceed to Disneytown entrance into park (at the very dead end of the street along Disneytown). Disneytown Guest Services told me to go to the Disneytown park entrance. That entrance let me through security but said that I had to go all the way to the main ticket booth – quite far. The only saving grace was that they sent me a CM to personally walk through the main entrance line to the front of the ticket booth (the person I had gone in front of was upset and stood right next to me impatiently). After receiving my season pass in a neat little water proof jacket (that still allows for scanning), I rushed into the park near the TommorrowLand entrance, only to realize that I didn't get my season pass coupon book!

The coupon book is not a book. It is a listing of coupons within WeChat that you have to link to your pass. I had to run all the way back to the main guest services hub and have them link my pass to WeChat (process is in Mandarin). You get a text from SDL in WeChat, and click on the embedded link. Be sure to memorize or write down the steps to get back to the coupons page if you plan on sending/receiving weChat sms because you will leave the pg. You have to go to the WeChat message from SDL, click on it, click on the 1st link at the very bottom of page, which brings up a popup of 5 options, choose bottom option, then middle link at top of pg.

Season Pass Coupon Use:

You don't receive unlimited 20% offs. You do get:2x 100rmb off 300rmb merchandise, 3x 30 rmb off QS meals (*not valid at snack stands or Pattisserie, and can't be combined with 20% off), 3x 20% off merch., 1x 20% off merch weekdays, 1x20% off dining (which I think can be used many times - I used twice and not "redeemed"), 1x20% off dining weekdays, 10% off room, 100rmb off royal table, 59rmb off photopass, free 5x8 photos printed w/ photopass, Lumiere's Kitchen Kids meal free with adult meal.

Tip - If staying multiple days, don't buy any merch. the 1st day. Go into stores as time allows, take photos/notes of what you're interested in. The reasons are because you will likely find something you like better, and it is tough to return if you've used a coupon. Normally, you can return/exchange at any store, not just the one you bought from. If you used a coupon, you can only do it at that store. What's worse, I have 2 returns that I'm unsure I will get the refund. They tried several times to scan my credit card and asked for my pin. I said that I don't want to run as a debit, I'm wanting a credit:). Several CMs later, then mgr came over, tried a few more times before finding a form to fill out to manually process refund (without my card number taken down so I sort of doubt it will happen). I was told after 30 days I should receive a refund, but to call a Chinese # if you don't.

Tip#2: 1st use the 30rmb off meals under 100 rmb before going to the 20%off weekday (if going on a weekday), then the regular 20%'s. Try to compile your merch purchases to use the 100 off 300rmb multiple times rather than several 20% off. Many of the stores have the same items. World of Disney (Disneytown) doesn't have everything, but it has the common items from ea. store.

Back to the 1st day at the Park (sorry)...

There was 1 FP left for Buzz at 8pm at around 1pm. grabbed it. It was very easy to go on SDL app, click on get FP after signing in, scan my pass, select my party (me), then pick the last remaining FP from the list of 1. Headed for Tron first. Like Mommaberd said, it's not easy to book a locker (unsuccessful, but I was only testing it to report back to you). Wait times were light for this park; about 40 min. for Tron posted. I asked for single rider at the entrance, they couldn't understand what I wanted. But it only took maybe 25 min to ride. No issues dropping my bag in the cart and retrieving it, my phone went into the cubby on the ride in front of me. I purposely packed zip up pocket shorts for securing my passport and season pass. I also tested having my phone in relatively short pockets – and it didn’t fall out. I went back through Tron about 4 more times at walk on rate after I figured out how to ask for a single rider ticket, go through standby line for about 50 ft, and hand over ticket to swap lines to the single rider door to the left (1st of 3 doors. FP door is the middle door. Standby door is 3rd). They never just opened the single rider lane. I also went back on Tron at night to see it glow purple. The ride's theming is superb, music is great. The ride is hailed as one of the fastest coasters among Disney Parks. And I do like it, or I wouldn't have rode it about 14x. But the ride itself seems like 30 seconds (for what you may be waiting 90 min to 2 hours for in peak times) with the "burst" of about 50mph (definitely less than the 60mph start or RnR), a couple smaller pushes, and the rest of the ride is a lagging, viewing pace. Technically it's a coaster, but I wouldn't call it a thrill seekers paradise. I actually had someone take my photo on the ride, after exiting - at the risk of them moving the ride with me not strapped in, all to save that $20:). I could hear the CM telling me to get off the ride, and the gears shifting below me.

I told myself before I left that I wouldn't ride the less desirable/spinning rides like the Jet Pack, but foolishly entered a 40 min wait and rode the Astro Orbiter clone about 1.2 hrs later. Took a while to find Buzz on the ground floor as my next ride. Here, I witnessed my first public potty. A dad was directly handling/helping him go in a water bottle in line. At least, not puddling on the ground or peeing on my leg right (I checked). I did score 1.1 million on my 1st try; very little waiting.

I continued left to Toy Story Land, which has 4 neat food booths. I chose the alien Hawaiian pizza which comes with their tiny 16oz pops for 75cny (most combo meals are as low as 65 at Pinocchio's - to 90, mickey ice cream is 40, sort of pricey, corn on the cob 25, specialty drinks such as soda floats at Toy Story Land 35, many foods at Patisserie 25-40, bottle of pop 15). Pizza was good sized but luke warm at best. I like my hot items very hot - it has to burn what's left of taste buds, and cold items need to be ice cold. I only work in extremes. My coffee goes straight to the microwave after the Keurig. The pizza, however, came with a Mickey comic for the wrapper! I went back through the line to ask for some more to keep as gift wrap. Caught the parade while eating. The music is catchy and it was decent in terms of quality of floats and performers, but I tried to not get stuck in the parade crowd every subsequent parade. I guess I'm only really fond of the night time parades (bring back Spectromagic!). The flame shooting Mulan riding her horse float is the one the crowd favors. A comment I heard from a fellow American was why not name the SDL castle after Mulan? Seems like it be more fitting vs. all of the princesses theme that I presume is for trying to advertise multiple characters to the country in which Disney has a smaller brand presence. Went on Slinky Dog Spin. It was posted at 40 min and was actually 1.5 hrs. It's exactly the short little spinning kiddie ride you'd expect, except the restraining bar will continue to move down on you until its very uncomfortable.

Continued to Pooh - which was an hr wait for a clone - except for of course no Mr. Toad tribute at the beg. I went to 7DMT single rider, which was a 50 min wait (posted 90 min SB)... near clone with the ride curves differing from WDW's version, not as much swaying, hidden mickey in the cave is on opp side from Grumpy, and the ending cottage scene is different. I also went on Pirates a few times repeatedly, single rider (asking at the front for a ticket and entering the single rider line). There was very little waiting for single rider. Pirates, as others have said, is incredible. It’s one of the first attractions where the boat can go sideways and backwards. It’s evident that they spent millions of $ on this one attraction. They did a great job using all of the Pirate’s music and all at the right times. Note that Pirates can have it’s biggest wait times mid-late am and wait times generally decreases as the night goes on. Unlike Tron that decreases in afternoon after the am peak times then actually increases at night – presumably because everyone wants to ride it when it’s glowing at night. People also tend to start at Soaring/Roaring Rapids and work counterclockwise, ending in Tomorrowland. This is why I went to Tommorowland first on Thurs, after I got there late.

By this time, it was nearly fireworks time (8pm) and every wait time was dropping considerably. I went on Soaring, the most popular ride, at 60 min (regularly hit 180 min and reached 220). Again, clone except the 5 seconds at the end in Shanghai (there's my Bund at night... found it!). Peter Pan was only a 10 min wait. Near clone, except the animated scenes are smaller, more sparse. The queue is inferior to WDW's "Tink" scenes. Enjoyable, but I prefer the WDW version because the scenes are bigger. Launch from the kids room on this one is different, providing a more immersive feeling of actually being in the room and flying out the window.

My park hours had been extended the week before until 10pm (from 8-8). I snuck in another couple Tron/Buzz rides before heading to Disneytown (11pm) via the exit by Tomorrowland. I shopped at World of Disney until they kicked me out at 1050 (using my 20% off, but later returning to try for the 100rmb off with a another item).

The buses only run until 11pm. So I began to panic when I realized I couldn't easily figure out which bus was mine without stopping at several of them at random (3 rows of buses), as it approached 11. I ran into my bus as it was leaving - last one on, whew! The resort buses are on the far right group when exiting. SDL resort is first then its either the next or the bus after that for Toy Story. I hear the taxi is only like $2 so under 15rmb (equivalent to a bottle of coke in the park).

I had to line up for my bags (I had to buy a second suitcase in Korea because of too much shopping!), then check in for real this time. I spent quite some time unpacking, and such that it was 2 am after watching Tron Legacy (10 Disney movies to select on demand in room - I watched most of them). I figured it would get me in the mood for more Tron riding.

Fri, 4/27:

So I woke up at 6 ate bfast packed foods and got out to the bus line at 640 thinking I was golden. line up consisted of about 200 people who had already wrapped around the bldg. There was a lot of cutting despite 2 CMs on duty. Many people decided to walk. It's a very short distance to the park but there are lights and a bridge at the end that makes you circle a long way around it. CM's say that it's a bad idea - roughly 30 min. I walk a 6mph pace and thought to try it just to find out how it is. I didn't. The first bus arrives at 7:10 am. You can either get out there at 5am with the other crazies, walk/jog while it's cooler, take a taxi/didi, or just wait in line (me). I ended up on the 4th bus - around 725. The buses came quick after the 1st one (2nd one was waiting behind 1st). People were running as soon as they got off the bus to Disneytown park entrance. The line in was about a hundred yards of about 3 wide by the time got there a min later (I ran). Many had already gotten through before 730 (8am opening). There are 4 security lines and note that you can keep your phone on you through the metal detector. They will search for food so I packed my pockets with zip lock bags of jerky, nuts, etc. to later put in my bag. Water is ok, other liquids are not, unless baby formula. They do not unzip bags - you usually have to have them unzipped to avoid them asking you. They will glance (without scanning) your room key (since this is a dedicated Disneytown resort guest entrance), scan park pass, and look at your passport (to make sure you aren't lending out your pass - as they don't have fingerprint tech). While I had my app ready for FP, it wouldn't work until I nearly walked to the front of the park. There was no rope drop holding - adults and children alike ran to the rides. CMs just watch people run by them without making an effort to stop anyone.

Wifi:

Because the log in is in Chinese, despite having a local number via my sim purchase, I needed to ask a CM (Buzz photoshop area) to help - she used her own phone # and SMS code. Wifi was similar to WDW in that it kicks off occasionally. In fact, it was off nearly the entire last day because I got sick of logging back in and I had bought 2GB, and used only 250mb by the last day (1000mb = 1gb).

SIM/VPN:

I bought the 3GSolutions data only sim for around $33, delivered to my hostel front desk 4/19. It stopped working after logging in to wifi at Pudong. So next time I avoided airport wifi. It was only $10 more for the 2nd gb, but I could have easily been fine with 1gb. I bought VPN Express for around $14, refundable. The VPN gave the access for my google maps, emails, and other blocked sites. It slowed down your use of internet in the park so I turned it off given I'm not on anything but the app (not checking bank accts and such). Los Angeles 3, Tokyo, Hong Kong were the recommended locations per VPN Express for China (I used Tokyo since I figured it was the closest).

RD on 4/27:

I scored a Soaring FP for 9am and I sprinted, along with hundreds, immediately to Roaring Rapids this time. This attraction hits 100min in the first hr. I took a Laundry bag from hotel (Thanks @MommaBerd). I unloaded my pockets into bag and wrapped the bag in the string laundry bag - I was able to do this while running through line, so as to not lose my place. I didn't need the waterproofing as I was the designated wet person on the ride but only my back got splashed a little. I've been on the similar Grizzy River Run at DL and on Roaring Rapids a few times and I never see a huge wave roll over your raft like you do on Kali. I typically come out with a few dozen drops, wishing it were more. Every other guest that's not American will purchase a poncho (available in line) for the ride. In fact, I was usually the butt of jokes for not having a poncho. I usually reply in English - what the heck is the pt. of getting on this ride if you're going to put on a poncho, and even booties and bags over them? It was low 80s, sunny, and I had been running... I needed to cool off.

I got to Challenge Trails before 8am, grabbed a locker (you have to empty everything from pockets) and took the toughest of the 3 courses after being harnessed. I didn't back down from the toughest route (6 in paths along a cliff, rope walking, etc. but it did sort of freak me out at times, because I have a slight fear of heights and I was also speeding through the course. I wanted to turn around once but there were ppl behind me. I raced through the course and went on 7DMT before my 9am Soaring FP! So it was a little after 9 and I had gotten through Roaring Rapids, Challenge Trails, 7DMT, and Soaring. Soaring FPs were gone already. I settled for Rapids at 720 as my 2nd. By this time it was already reaching 100min for Soaring and Rapids, and approaching that for 7DMT. So I took a break from running and did some shopping, went to Frozen, Pirates, and Tarzan, and attractions I said I wouldn't do - Grotto. Frozen was a clone, except of course that it's in Mandarin, and the characters were Chinese. I wasn't as impressed with Tarzan as others, but it was worthwhile and more watchable because it didn't rely on spoken dialogue as much. And most of us know what's going on in ea. scene. I liked Pirates much more - just my preference. Tarzan resembled a weaker executed La Nouba at Disney Springs that I've seen many times (aerial silk, Chinese Yo Yo). Crystal Grotto was not very impressive (understatement). You go on a slow moving boat, pass stationary character statues with fountains (similar to the dancing Beauty & Beast statues inside Be Our Guest at WDW). I followed this up with several picture taking - since wait times were outrageous. I also got pictures with Mickey, Spider-Man, Captain America, and those Duffy (+ friend) bears that locals are obsessed with. I did Tron/Buzz again later.

Fireworks were memorable. I made the mistake of entering the crowd near the front about 30 min prior. I soon found myself packed in and trapped. I couldn't see the ground - it was tight. I saw people climbing over fences, people in wheelchairs, running into strollers, and much more aggressive shoving then I had seen. A women behind me took her bag and repeatedly slammed it in my bag because I couldn’t move any further. After turning to yell at her did nothing to curb her assault, I yanked it out of her hands and threw it in another area for her to never see again. It took a lot of effort to get out of that mess. I didn’t even stay for the fireworks.

I went to Rex’s Racer, which had a reduced 30 min wait – which ended up being 1.5hrs. What I’ve observed on the wait times was that unlike the little e-readers that CMs have you carry through at WDW, it’s 1 CM whether he/she is good at it or not, estimating the wait by observing where the line ends. Not necessary accounting for the line density/pace. The Toy Story attractions were grossly underestimated, perhaps because they were brand new. But in general, most wait times were actually longer than estimated.

I repeated Thurs., and did more shopping at World of Disney until about 1030. Mindful of not missing the bus this time. I got to bed a little earlier too, around 130am.

Sat, 4/28:

You may be curious if I chose to wake up earlier for the bus, walk, or grab a taxi to the park. No, no, and no. I got up at the same 6am ish, got out there around 645. Got about the 3rd bus and used the prior day’s routine. During the peak hours (like 10 am, unfortunately), I visited other attractions I hadn’t seen, Alice in Wonderland Maze, the Disney Princesses at Enchanted Storybook Castle – which you have to enter this line outside the castle to see the upper levels of the castle. I rode Pirates many times. More photos opps, Star Wars viewing, more character photos, and shopping. I had a second tussel where a guy shoved into me hard in line for the castle walk, didn’t say anything that seemed apologetic, and continue to cut in line. I confronted him – in English, but he got the gist that I wasn’t happy. I had the impulse to grab the hat off his head and throw it far away, but I resisted.

Which brings me to line cutting:

Going stag has its disadvantages here. You can’t stand shoulder to shoulder and hog a line to limit cutting. I usually grabbed a rail, and used by back pack over 1 shoulder to be a little wider. I also moved with the group in front of me. What I mean by this is if the group immediately in front of me was hugging one side, I chose the other side and stood close to them, to sort of use them to help me hog the entire width of the line. Still, I saw line cutting in almost every line I was in. Either overtly, or the "I’m meeting someone" line (in Mandarin), or sadly – training their kids to cut the line – then mom goes after said kid, stays there, then dad later meets up with mom and kid, repeats. Every turn in line is a potential opportunity to cut. Not everyone is like this – it’s the minority of people, but much more noticeable then at WDW/DL. And most people are used to and very tolerant. People will move up until they are touching your back. Always. I sometimes tried to have fun with it. When a girl stood right next to me where her arm was touching mine. I rubbed her arm. When she looked into my eyes, I gave a suggestive eyebrow raise. That didn’t deter her. It could very well be because they are so used to line cutting that they move all the way up to help limit that. And like the women who hit me with her back pack at the fireworks the night before, they aren’t intimidated just because you’re a big guy. I was near the door on a subway, and a group lowered their shoulders into me to repeatedly shove me a few inches further into the people in front me just to squeeze in the door. These are actions that could get you shot in the U.S. I tried to not let it bother me/ruin my trip. Early afternoon Sunday at Buzz (the last attraction with wait times under an hour), I was cut early in line. At that point I was sort of fed up with it, wait times were out of control with Labor Day wknd/Toy Story Land, and I was ready to go back and take a nap before the fireworks.

Other Observations:

There was some trash in the parks but I don’t think it was crazy excessive. This was on a wknd that was sure to be one of the busiest. The hotels were sold out before I got there. I did notice that no one bused there food after eating, letting the CM’s do it. I still cleaned up after myself. Many people don’t wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Saw this over and over. Same in Korea. Made me want to wash my hands prior to eating (should anyway after touching all of those handrails). Didn’t experience much waiting for the 2 western toilets per bathroom. I did try the hole in the ground potty when one wasn’t available once, and thought that they would be great air-chair type strengthening exercise for women.

The hotel CMs were by far more accommodating. Most didn’t speak much English, not that I expected them to. I used basic Mandarin words (incorrectly), let them know that I’m American – thought about writing “I’m American” on my “I’m Celebrating Disney Pin.” I’m celebrating that I’m American. More than one park CM shooed me away with their hand when I tried to ask for directions in English.

Asian clothing sizes are smaller than the U.S. sizes (look at the inside tag not the stickered Asian size) but Disney sells large for its size to sort of balance it out. I wear a U.S. large or XL, which is a XL or XXL there, but ended up just needing a large. Not all stores have fitting rooms but the bigger stores do, and you should try it on since you can’t take it back.

Other than 2x seeing public potty. I actually saw a couple engaging in very inappropriate activities under the Adventureland sign – out in the open. I walked by, not that surprised.

The walking paths are very very wide. You’ll still have to duck several umbrellas from slashing your throat or gouging your eyes – they don’t really pay attention if they’re about to hit someone. People are so afraid of the sun that I saw poncho wearing under sunny/dry conditions and blankets over heads! Really strange behavior. You don't see as many masks as you would in the city, but you will see some. The locals will say that the air quality isn't as good as their reasons. My mother in Korea wears a mask every day outside.

The park is huge, as everyone said. Not necessary a ton of attractions, but combined with what can be large wait times during weekends, it can be tough to do everything in 1 day. I was able to do the highlight attractions on the shortened 1st day only because I ran/planned in advance (i.e. mapping out directions to the next attraction while in line). It’s possible to see the worthwhile attractions in 1 busy weekend day by RD, skipping some of the shows – they all end by 430-530. I tend to want to see everything but several of the clones/near clones are not necessary if you frequent WDW/DL. Pirates and Tron are really the unique, worthwhile attractions, which is why I went on both over 10x. Roaring Rapids if you don’t go to the similar ride at DL (although I still like Kali better since you can actually get wet). Challenge Trail is neat but not for everyone. I enjoyed Buzz because it’s easy to see where you are shooting (aim for the small targets, moving targets, and you can actually tap really quickly with your other hand instead of using the trigger in a traditional way). I think I'd go on Pan once, not because it's spectacular but because it's a little different. Soaring - I just couldn't skip because I love Soarin'. You can skip many of the shows since they're in Mandarin. You can utube many of the attractions such as the Cyrstal Grotto to see if you'd be interested in investing an hour waiting for it. Character greets are neat for photo opps but idk that any of them are really unique except for maybe Duffy or certain Marvel characters like Black Widow. Rex's Racer gives you exactly 2 swings where you feel a slight rush, diminished compared to ToT. And then your next thought is... "I waited how long for those 3 seconds?" But I had to visit Toy Story Land since it was the grand opening, right? Take note of all of the single rider lines line 7DMT, Pirates, Tron and consider splitting up (you still talk to them for however long you're in line - which let's face is nearly the whole experience). The photo for Pirates will not show the back row. I commonly was placed there as a single rider. The photo is at the very end as you're moving backwards after the final Jack vs. Davey Jones fight scene... if you want to pose.

The SDL app has a gps. I used it even on the 3rd day. You click on the attraction/restaurant you want to get to, then hit ‘find it on the map' in the middle left of the page. It will show you where you are and where the destination is, even arrow which way you are pointing – I typically spin in different directions to see if I’m going the right way. Use the mountain at Challenge Trails, Castle, and Tron as landmarks to give you general bearings as to which way to go.

U.S. Friends:

I ran into a couple of pharmacy students who were in Shanghai for 6 weeks and only at SDL for 1 day. I had given them a bunch of tips when I ran into them in the Pirates line on Sun. plus some history to WDW and lessor known facts. They were very appreciative, and I was happy to not be talking to myself for once. I hadn’t run into many English speaking people. I ran into them a 2nd time right after I left the Buzz line – on the way back to the hotel after giving up for the day. They asked if I would go with them on Tron (135 min wait). I would have never waited that long for Tron – or maybe any of the rides there intentionally. The 1.5hrs for Rex’s Racer (30 min. posted) was the longest I had waited. The Tron line was looped several times out to the lockers – I had never seen it past the entrance area. We went through the single rider line, and enjoyed talking the whole time. No one cut the 3 of us. The wait times were crazy, so we only got to go on a few other attractions, some lessor ones like Be Iron Man, and fireworks twice. I nearly re-lived my initial fireworks experience because they wanted to be front and center. My one friend tripped and landed face first in a wheelchair lady’s lap. There were 2 fireworks events on Sat at 730 and 930, sort of uncommon. The 1st one, as I expected is by far more popular, as the kiddos need to be in bed. The 2nd one, we were able to go the left side of the castle, very close, with not much of a crowd. Plan your rides/fireworks accordingly if you have 2 shows.

We went to dinner together and ended the night at World of Disney (like the other 2 nights). We took a final picture together and exchanged numbers and social media. Ended up being a fun day.

So, I think some of my Disney friends would not have wanted to come back after my experience (1 said as much). I’m obsessed enough about Disney that I probably would. I enjoyed a lot of the attractions, and the garden views in front of the castle are incredible.

Last edited:
I was tempted a few times but didn't pay for PA on any day, because I felt like I could get to everything during fireworks, end of night & last ride, and early am. Price was 440cny on Thurs, 660 on Fri, and 990 for Sat! They knew it would get busy on the wknd. And of course wait times dropped to nearly non-existent on Tue (day after Labor Day). The locals were surprised that so many kids were at the park on Fri. Labor Day used to yield a few days off for kids and it's now only Mon being off from school. With the price for the individual attraction PA being about 1/5 of the cost for the set, I would have only bought a select few.

The taxi ride back to Pudong on Sun. was 122cny and 38km. I could be wrong but it seemed like it was only about 23km on the way there and 73cny. The CMs would not print off the price but said that it would be between 80-100cny from their experience. 122cny is still not bad, but it seems possible that taxi drivers will take the long way. I was trying not to have much extra cash that I was not likely to need again... so I was in a slight panic with my 140cny. You could ask the CM to ask the driver if it's going to be 80-100, to help eliminate the possibility of the driver taking advantage of you/making you late to the airport. Taxi apmts can be scheduled for a specific time at the bell hop baggage check counter. You can tell which cab is yours by asking a dedicated bell hop outside the main entrance who has a sheet of which cab # is assigned to whom.

I was looking for T-shirts and key chains that stated Shanghai Disneyland on them. There weren't that many options. There is a red/blue shirt that has Shanghai Disneyland with a large Mickey emblem to one side (it runs big). There is a pink Lotso shirt at Al's Barn in Toy Story Land (probably at the Toy Story Hotel Lotso store too) that has SDL on it. But I liked a white shirt with highlight of SDL attractions - found at World of Disney, left at entrance. The corner store next to Avenue M Arcade, had a shirt that also had highlight attractions and SDL on it. These shirts were all 169cny. This store also has decent prices on Disney hand bags/purses 169-279cny. I really liked the Buzz/Woody combo key chain at Al's Barn (w/ a small SDL logo). Rose gold ears are available throughout the park.

The 3rd party vendors inside the park were commonly in the lines for attractions such as Buzz, Grotto, and Winnie. I'm assuming they have the season pass just to hawk this stuff every day. They wear long trench coats (seems like a giveaway in the summer), carrying Disney key chains inside their coats. I don't know how they get through the metal detectors, unless someone passes items through a fence somewhere (idt there are fenced borders that are accessible for this). I saw the same couple and a 3rd guy every day. They sell Disney key chains for 11 to 2/50 cny (after asking around through my translator). I saw someone haggling a 25cny captain america shield key chain down to 10. On Sat., there was an army (several dozens in lined up formation!) of police lined up outside the park exit at 10pm. We asked one of them what was going on, and the officer said that they have no jurisdiction inside the park, but they're aware of these vendors and they were waiting for them to exit. As I understood it, the Chinese gov't is a partial owner of SDL, which is why Christmas décor is very limited during the holiday, as Christmas was outlawed by the gov't. The Chinese gov't tends to own a share of many businesses in China. The majority of the banks, for instance. American companies generally have to enter a joint venture with a local company to share profits with China. I'm not sure if the CMs called the police, but it amazes me that it dictates that a whole army needs to be there to bust a few people. Seems like the perps. would see the army out there waiting for them, turn around from the exit, and ditch their merchandise and coats (I didn't see anyone in summer clothing searched).

Great Trip Report. Thanks for the clarification on the check-in with the seasonal pass. That just confirms what we thought we had to do. You had a ton of great 1st hand information and I appreciate you posting it on here for the rest of us that are about to go.

Great Trip Report. Thanks for the clarification on the check-in with the seasonal pass. That just confirms what we thought we had to do. You had a ton of great 1st hand information and I appreciate you posting it on here for the rest of us that are about to go.

no problem

Last edited:

I hope Nomarian, and anyone else, won't be discouraged about the prospect of coming to Shanghai. I have a tendency to attract crazy, and I'm confrontational when pushed (pun intended), which doesn't help. Not many people go to Disney alone, let alone in a foreign country for the 1st time. Simply having my wife there would have limited the transportation and some of the line issues. It's true that I wouldn't have been able to run to the am attractions, but she would have brightened my trip overall:).

I already miss seeing that big castle with the various flower gardens in front of it, the food, and just not being at work in general. So, I still haven't received any pending credits for those merchandise returns on my card.

We are now planning our mid Aug. WDW "free" dining trip. Can you believe it? We'll see how Toy Story Land impacts wait times for TSM, my absolute favorite. Someday, I plan on asking you guys about Tokyo Disney. In case we can do another layover trip to Korea next year!

No worries here. I am definitely excited to go on our trip and look forward to dealing with any and all issues. In the end, it is the time spent with family for us. So I have a question regarding the discounts for the seasonal pass, which is what you had, correct? You have to get a book of coupons along with the season pass? It also sounds like you are limited on how often you can use them?

@Nomarian, yes you have to link your season pass to wechat. So you’d want wechat app before you go if you don’t already have it. You’d have to activate season pass at the main ticket booth then go to guest relations to have them get your coupons in wechat. They took my phone, sent a wechat to my profile from Disney, then showed me how to access the coupons from the wechat message. I tried to describe the steps to access the coupons, you’d need to memorize it, write notes, or plan on not using wechat for anything else (staying on that coupon page, not chatting).

There is a guest services at Disneytown, May be able to activate and get virtual coupons in 1 step, and close to the back entrance for hotel guests.

I listed the limits on the discounts - think there were 3 of the 100rmb off 300 merchandise, several 20% off, 3x 30 off food, several 20% off, and the few other coupons like photo pass discount, printed picture, etc

2018-04-20 07.14.10 HDR.jpg
The Bund, Shanghai

2018-04-20 11.18.25.jpg
Standing in the train, after being shoved in

2018-04-20 11.20.33.jpg

2018-04-26 12.06.12.jpg

2018-04-26 13.57.42.jpg
Tron

2018-04-26 15.12.01-1.jpg

2018-04-26 15.21.24.jpg

2018-04-26 18.58.52.jpg
End of 7 Dwarves Mine Train. Different scene from WDW

2018-04-26 19.02.40.jpg

2018-04-26 19.13.31.jpg

no problem. I grabbed some English park maps in case anyone wanted me to mail them one, so please let me know.

Great trip report! We are going in 2 weeks and you're tips are very useful! We'll be doing the one day pass though. Do you recall how they are with the height requirements for a child ticket? I measured my daughter and she is just right there....with shoes she may be over, unless she grows alittle more within these two weeks, lol

Also, do you still have any English park maps available? I'd appreciate one if you do!

Great trip report! We are going in 2 weeks and you're tips are very useful! We'll be doing the one day pass though. Do you recall how they are with the height requirements for a child ticket? I measured my daughter and she is just right there....with shoes she may be over, unless she grows alittle more within these two weeks, lol

Also, do you still have any English park maps available? I'd appreciate one if you do!

Thanks for the compliment. And enjoy your planning! DW and I are wrapping up our first draft of our excel play by play plans that has our FP and DP options at WDW.

Going alone - I didn’t pay much heed to child height requirements, but in general the CMs are far less - shall we say strict on rules - such as the tolerance to running, ppl smoking, etc. if she measures up with shoes prob fine. Maybe find some slightly taller shoes if feeling ambitious?:).

Go ahead and message me your address if you’d like.

Last edited:
Great trip report. I am considering a solo trip at the end of the month so this was helpful. I think taxis are what worries me the most.

Great trip report. I am considering a solo trip at the end of the month so this was helpful. I think taxis are what worries me the most.

Thank you. Transportation was my #1 worry prior to trip. While I hear it's cheaper to Didi (although you need a Chinese # via sim), it's not that much money to take an official taxi. The green or yellow vans/cars have taxi clearly marked on them. And the station is right outside from the airport following signs, and can also ask for directions. If people are aggressively hailing you to their personal vehicle, even if they say they have a meter, you're likely in the wrong area. Hope you have a fun trip if you do go!

We found the subway simple to use. Just do some pre-trip research to figure out what trains you need to take. Disney is at the end of a line, so that makes it pretty easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!