Shared, genderless restrooms

I was in a restroom once where there were pretty big gaps, and someone had draped toilet paper along the gap. Worked perfectly and I was wondering why I never thought of that! It would work if anyone feels uncomfortable with the gaps, and there have been places where I've definitely felt the gap was too much. Making eye contact with someone waiting while doing your business is a little uncomfortable, lol.

I wonder if gender inclusive multi-stall restrooms would tone down the extensive primping and posing some women tie up the sinks doing. I don't care if they do it, except when they are blocking me from using the sink and getting out of there!

I remember traveling abroad in the 80s and running into coed bathrooms. I didnt care then, and I dont care now.
I am 49 years old and really do not understand how this is a thing?

For festivals - P-Mate for women - can pee standing up - best invention ever!

I was in a restroom once where there were pretty big gaps, and someone had draped toilet paper along the gap. Worked perfectly and I was wondering why I never thought of that! It would work if anyone feels uncomfortable with the gaps, and there have been places where I've definitely felt the gap was too much. Making eye contact with someone waiting while doing your business is a little uncomfortable, lol.

I wonder if gender inclusive multi-stall restrooms would tone down the extensive primping and posing some women tie up the sinks doing. I don't care if they do it, except when they are blocking me from using the sink and getting out of there!

I imagine that scene in Pulp Fiction where several women are sort of doing that, but really because they've all just done lines of cocaine and are trying to make sure it's not visible and they look presentable.

I imagine that scene in Pulp Fiction where several women are sort of doing that, but really because they've all just done lines of cocaine and are trying to make sure it's not visible and they look presentable.

Lol :)

I was thinking of our recent hotel stay where they hosted a pool party. The lobby restroom was full of girls doing their makeup, hair, and testing their dance moves and I just wanted to get my kid to wash her hands so we could go!

Lol :)

I was thinking of our recent hotel stay where they hosted a pool party. The lobby restroom was full of girls doing their makeup, hair, and testing their dance moves and I just wanted to get my kid to wash her hands so we could go!

I looked over a clip of that scene. It doesn't necessarily show anyone but the primary character doing drugs, although it kind of implies that others have. However, it shows five women (two rows deep) around the primary character who are touching up their makeup, making sure their eye makeup is perfect, checking to see that every hair is in place, etc - all while she's obviously doing drugs.

In a men's room the most I recall seeing is a guy brushing his teeth. Personally I think the biggest culture shock is going to be men giving up washing their hands because women are spending so much time in front of the mirror.

Yeah. That's what we're all doing in there. :rolleyes:

This is not what I was thinking of when I saw "all inclusive". Glad to see it is about gender neutrality and not someone helping me in the stall LOL

This is not what I was thinking of when I saw "all inclusive". Glad to see it is about gender neutrality and not someone helping me in the stall LOL

I changed the title.

Again, I have been fairly used to single-occupancy/family rooms where the door can be locked. It didn't necessarily shock me since I'd been to a non-public dorm bathroom where there were only privacy stalls (where the cracks were sealed and the stalls were 8 ft tall and down to the ground) and the showers were all single occupancy where the door was locked.

Keeping the urinals was kind of where I thought it was at a different level. Not even urinals in stalls, but with stubby little dividers. It didn't bother me though. So what if some man, woman, girl, or someone in between catches a glimpse of me shaking it off?

Today I was surprised to learn the new Target by my new apartment has a unisex fitting room area. I thought I went in the wrong side when I saw a guy standing outside one of the rooms. Then when they told me I hadn't made a mistake, I shrugged and went about my business.

(Newer local restaurants around here are going with gender neutral bathrooms, I notice.)

Now that I think of it, I've seen some like that. Typically that was the kind I see at McDonald's, where it's literally sheetrock walls on three sides instead of using partitions. There's still a flimsy metal door about a foot off the ground though.

However, a college dorm is the only place I've ever seen partitions that went all the way to the floor and where they used rubber seals and a specific design such that there were no gaps when it was closed. Maybe a tiny gap at the floor. I think the idea that anyone trying to be a peeping Tom would be pretty obvious.

I wouldn't care who was in the restroom if it was more closed in stalls- not like the one you are talking about! My daughter was flying home from visiting a friend of hers and sends me a text that had me rolling on the floor laughing! "Mom, I was in the stall in the airport and this little boy sticks his head all the way under and looks at me mid-pee and says "I want this one" are you done yet""-- I could just picture my teens face as this was happening, she can't stand kids so she would find NO humor in that at all!

Read about the Baltimore Museum of Art naming its new facilities after native son John Waters. They are all single rooms with doors going to the ground though. Not quite the same as large rooms with basic stalls and urinals, but it's interesting how they're named and even with a press conference and everything.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entert...-yv2ylj7ngzhmhi7ede4h6ceqqu-photogallery.html

FAO3HF4IOFEVZIHNX7ABOATSMU.jpg

2SQJGHEUYBEKJNKYT3R4AYYD24.jpg

VGPKBH3SORE7LKOSFIJP2A5FLA.jpg

G6BCLA4Y2NH37CMGE2MTJOHXQE.jpg

I changed the title.

Again, I have been fairly used to single-occupancy/family rooms where the door can be locked. It didn't necessarily shock me since I'd been to a non-public dorm bathroom where there were only privacy stalls (where the cracks were sealed and the stalls were 8 ft tall and down to the ground) and the showers were all single occupancy where the door was locked.

Keeping the urinals was kind of where I thought it was at a different level. Not even urinals in stalls, but with stubby little dividers. It didn't bother me though. So what if some man, woman, girl, or someone in between catches a glimpse of me shaking it off?

When I was in college, one of the dorms I lived in (they all were single-gender back then) had started out as a men's dorm, and they left the urinals in place when they changed it. We found them really convenient for shaving our legs! (They had been thoroughly cleaned, of course.)

So, definitely room for creative re-use, LOL. (Not that you'd normally see anyone shaving legs in an art museum, but maybe hosing off paint after a workshop?

It's funny how we are conditioned to get hung up on these things as we grow. My kids went to a large preschool, and the tiny classroom toilets were all in one room, lined up in a row with no partitions so that the teachers could easily help the kids with their clothes. At age 4, the kids thought nothing of having company whilst on the toilet.

My daughter’s dorm has wet core hall bathrooms, open the door and there is a row of sinks, and there are 8 full bathrooms with solid doors, with a toilet, shower and sink.

... stupid new forums and not going to recent posts when a thread is brought up from the dead...

Last edited:
Some of my company’s older stores have a single public restroom. Some have only a toilet and sink, others also have a urinal. One person at a time. I think they had unisex “Men/Women” signs on them. About six months ago the signs on the doors were changed to “All Gender.”

Boy, oh boy, some customers got really triggered over that.

(I realize this is a zombie thread, but I must have missed it 4 years ago.)

Some of my company’s older stores have a single public restroom. Some have only a toilet and sink, others also have a urinal. One person at a time. I think they had unisex “Men/Women” signs on them. About six months ago the signs on the doors were changed to “All Gender.”

Boy, oh boy, some customers got really triggered over that.

(I realize this is a zombie thread, but I must have missed it 4 years ago.)

I started it, and I remembered it. So I added to it. The original subject was about a large rooms where everyone congregated and they didn't pull out the urinals. But bathrooms named in honor of John Waters was too good to resist.

I don't want all gender restrooms because I always see the ladies lined up out the door. That isn't the case in the men's room.

Read about the Baltimore Museum of Art naming its new facilities after native son John Waters. They are all single rooms with doors going to the ground though. Not quite the same as large rooms with basic stalls and urinals, but it's interesting how they're named and even with a press conference and everything.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entert...-yv2ylj7ngzhmhi7ede4h6ceqqu-photogallery.html

FAO3HF4IOFEVZIHNX7ABOATSMU.jpg

2SQJGHEUYBEKJNKYT3R4AYYD24.jpg

VGPKBH3SORE7LKOSFIJP2A5FLA.jpg

G6BCLA4Y2NH37CMGE2MTJOHXQE.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you for reviving the thread with this post.

The woman in the photos, Elizabeth Coffey, is transgender. She had an infamous scene in Pink Flamingos where she flashed both her boobs and her down below (male) at a Peeping Tom in a park.

She also had a few bit parts in some of his other films.

50 years ago John Waters was often threatened with arrest and his films were banned in many cities. Then in 2018 the Baltimore Museum of Art honored him with a months long exhibition of some of his other works, A few very early short films were presented "Peep Show" style, in private booths. But as much as I enjoy most of his films, those very early silent movies are pretty much unwatchable:

Hag in a Black Leather Jacket
Roman Candles
Eat Your Makeup

In his older years John Waters has turned into a "Respectable Pervert."

When I was in college, one of the dorms I lived in (they all were single-gender back then) had started out as a men's dorm, and they left the urinals in place when they changed it. We found them really convenient for shaving our legs! (They had been thoroughly cleaned, of course.)

So, definitely room for creative re-use, LOL. (Not that you'd normally see anyone shaving legs in an art museum, but maybe hosing off paint after a workshop?

It's funny how we are conditioned to get hung up on these things as we grow. My kids went to a large preschool, and the tiny classroom toilets were all in one room, lined up in a row with no partitions so that the teachers could easily help the kids with their clothes. At age 4, the kids thought nothing of having company whilst on the toilet.

When I was a junior, part of my all-male freshmen dorm went co-ed by floor. They didn't remove the urinals but they did shut off the plumbing for them. Someone told me that the women on the floor put artificial flowers in and on top of them.

They also changed the open gang shower room to private cubicles with curtains.

Thank you thank you thank you for reviving the thread with this post.

The woman in the photos, Elizabeth Coffey, is transgender. She had an infamous scene in Pink Flamingos where she flashed both her boobs and her down below (male) at a Peeping Tom in a park.

View attachment 617493

She also had a few bit parts in some of his other films.

50 years ago John Waters was often threatened with arrest and his films were banned in many cities. Then in 2018 the Baltimore Museum of Art honored him with a months long exhibition of some of his other works, A few very early short films were presented "Peep Show" style, in private booths. But as much as I enjoy most of his films, those very early silent movies are pretty much unwatchable:

Hag in a Black Leather Jacket
Roman Candles
Eat Your Makeup

In his older years John Waters has turned into a "Respectable Pervert."

I rented a Criterion Collection LaserDisc copy of Polyester back in the 90s. It was complete with the scratch and sniff card, and if I didn't return it I would have had to pay for a replacement. The DVD and Blu-Ray versions still have it.

epson076.jpg

ODORAMA. It'll blow your nose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter