Shareholder Proposal for Disney to Spin Off Real Estate into REIT (& Star Wars)

I completely agree. I’m hopeful that with the added pressure of upset shareholders, as well as, Universal/Comcast breathing down their neck with all the great things coming from their parks division, Disney leadership recognizes that the era of being passive with the parks is over.
Don’t abuse Parks & Resorts to subsidize streaming and bad movies….

I’d put you on the board.
I think they are making a lot of good moves cleaning out Chapek loyalists and policies and bringing back people like Joe Rohde and Tom Staggs.

I think they also got the message that a movie/show needs to be good and not just diverse or what South Park referred to as the “panderstone”.…. But…. they have to put out movies that were green lit and filmed years ago to at least make some return on that investment… and those were expensive to make because of COVID protocols…..so it will take time….

Also…. slight rant…..can we not turn all of NO Square into Tiana Land?…. it’s a cute movie and I love the restaurant but it’s getting to be a bit much…. especially with the life size painting of a child princess Tiana staring at my two boys as they sleep in a 1Bd at VDH…..

Also, what do Aladdin, Mirabel, and Tiana have to do with 1900 Park Fare theming at the Grand Floridian?…. Love the movies…great characters…. but is it on theme and does it fit the story telling?

Ok…. rant over…..

Last edited:
I think they are making a lot of good moves cleaning out Chapek loyalists and policies and bringing back people like Joe Rohde and Tom Staggs.

I think they also got the message that a movie/show needs to be good and not just diverse or what South Park referred to as the “panderstone”.…. But…. they have to put out movies that were green lit and filmed years ago to at least make some return on that investment… and those were expensive to make because of COVID protocols…..so it will take time….

Also…. slight rant…..can we not turn all of NO Square into Tiana Land?…. it’s a cute movie and I love the restaurant but it’s getting to be a bit much…. especially with the life size painting of a child princess Tiana staring at my two boys as they sleep in a 1Bd at VDH…..

Also, what do Aladdin, Mirabel, and Tiana have to do with 1900 Park Fare theming at the Grand Floridian?…. Love the movies…great characters…. but is it on theme and does it fit the story telling?

Ok…. rant over…..
Lol, you might be a happy medium between me and Peltz when it comes to the current political climate. I am too old to have ever gotten into Tiana's movie (which I can't even name with confidence... Princess and the Frog?) but my kids really loved it for a while and that music is goooooood. I feel like New Orleans Square doesn't really have to change much to become Tiana Land.... which is already set in New Orleans, right? I grew up going to Disneyland several times a year from the late 80s to the opening of DCA but I never thought that Splash Mountain was a great theme.

In terms of pandering, I'm not the target audience for any Disney movies (well, I take that back, I'm squarely the target of the Star Wars franchise as a lifelong fan.... but I do not feel the major problem with the last few movies were pandering to underrepresented groups (even if there were some issues at the margins). People hated Solo (which I thought was fine) and it was mostly white men, lol...but I digress)-- so much of what Disney does can be viewed totally different based on your own subjective circumstances based on exposure (kind of like a fine wine... if you drink it expecting to dislike it at a terrible restaurant with a bad date, you're not going to rate it as highly) but I do think Disney needs to redouble its efforts to find big themes that resonate with families and (continue to try) to avoid alienating people...but they also have to work with creatives and retain talent (and be able to trot out George Lucas and Josh Gad to protect Disney from corporate raiders).

I don't have all the answers but I do know that focusing on quality, creating magical memories (where you don't feel nickel and dimed or at least don't feel nickel and dimed AND ALSO stressed out for the opportunity to give Disney money to wake up at 6:55AM and try to get a Slinky Dog LL in the few seconds before its gone...) would be a great place to start. As opposed to say, further squeezing parks guests to try to subsidize competition with Netflix in a difficult business.

Lol, you might be a happy medium between me and Peltz when it comes to the current political climate. I am too old to have ever gotten into Tiana's movie (which I can't even name with confidence... Princess and the Frog?) but my kids really loved it for a while and that music is goooooood. I feel like New Orleans Square doesn't really have to change much to become Tiana Land.... which is already set in New Orleans, right? I grew up going to Disneyland several times a year from the late 80s to the opening of DCA but I never thought that Splash Mountain was a great theme.

In terms of pandering, I'm not the target audience for any Disney movies (well, I take that back, I'm squarely the target of the Star Wars franchise as a lifelong fan.... but I do not feel the major problem with the last few movies were pandering to underrepresented groups (even if there were some issues at the margins). People hated Solo (which I thought was fine) and it was mostly white men, lol...but I digress)-- so much of what Disney does can be viewed totally different based on your own subjective circumstances based on exposure (kind of like a fine wine... if you drink it expecting to dislike it at a terrible restaurant with a bad date, you're not going to rate it as highly) but I do think Disney needs to redouble its efforts to find big themes that resonate with families and (continue to try) to avoid alienating people...but they also have to work with creatives and retain talent (and be able to trot out George Lucas and Josh Gad to protect Disney from corporate raiders).

I don't have all the answers but I do know that focusing on quality, creating magical memories (where you don't feel nickel and dimed or at least don't feel nickel and dimed AND ALSO stressed out for the opportunity to give Disney money to wake up at 6:55AM and try to get a Slinky Dog LL in the few seconds before its gone...) would be a great place to start. As opposed to say, further squeezing parks guests to try to subsidize competition with Netflix in a difficult business.
I completely disagree with your statement that Solo was “fine”. Solo was a very enjoyable film that is under appreciated by the Star Wars community! 😏

Also, I want to be on record that I believe Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars movies outside of the original trilogy… and it’s amazing how they blended it perfectly into A New Hope….

I completely disagree with your statement that Solo was “fine”. Solo was a very enjoyable film that is under appreciated by the Star Wars community! 😏

Also, I want to be on record that I believe Rogue One is one of the best Star Wars movies outside of the original trilogy… and it’s amazing how they blended it perfectly into A New Hope….
I’m willing to pretend to agree with you (and most of SW fandom) on Rogue One if you will agree with me that there needs to be some kind of advance selection option for at least one or two LL a few days prior to resort arrival. I always thought 90 days was a bit extreme, but it would be better if you could lock in your must do attractions a week before arriving. Disney execs, if you’re listening, letting people book LL attractions (like dining) from the day of arrival though length of stay would probably incentivize people to add nights to their trip.

I’m willing to pretend to agree with you (and most of SW fandom) on Rogue One if you will agree with me that there needs to be some kind of advance selection option for at least one or two LL a few days prior to resort arrival. I always thought 90 days was a bit extreme, but it would be better if you could lock in your must do attractions a week before arriving. Disney execs, if you’re listening, letting people book LL attractions (like dining) from the day of arrival though length of stay would probably incentivize people to add nights to their trip.
Yes, I miss being able to work a couple FastPasses around my dining reservations, now its like you have to choose between going on a favorite ride, or eating at a pricey, but enjoyable restaurant. And honestly, being single, I eat enough fast food at home, our town lost 3 reataurants over last few months, even though new home sales are booming. I want real food, at least on vacation.

Last edited:

I feel like the advance LL thing is a WDW thing and so I am willing to give you my proxy vote on the issue as it is outside the scope of my experience.

My initial thoughts are that I’d rather try and duke it out for certain attractions before vacation than stress about them while actually on vacation… don’t get me started on virtual queues …..but I do think it disadvantages people who have never been to the parks before and do not understand the system. Also, booking window openings are awful for West Coast based people…..

I feel like the advance LL thing is a WDW thing and so I am willing to give you my proxy vote on the issue as it is outside the scope of my experience.

My initial thoughts are that I’d rather try and duke it out for certain attractions before vacation than stress about them while actually on vacation… don’t get me started on virtual queues …..but I do think it disadvantages people who have never been to the parks before and do not understand the system. Also, booking window openings are awful for West Coast based people…..
Yes, as a Californian, it’s completely miserable waking up before 5 AM for the booking window… but I only have to do it once for the trip. The alternative with Genie+ (and VQ) entails waking at 4AM PT every single day in the middle of an otherwise exhausting trip. Also, wasn’t it strongly suggested that in advance booking option was coming by now? I recall hoping it would have arrived by our late Feb trip.

@Chuck S — we have had pretty good luck being allowed to return VERY late for LL and VQ time slots with dining receipts, but for our family, the bigger problem is that one of us is disabled in a way that makes crisscrossing the park tougher, so sometimes I have to ask myself if, for example, Chefs de France is really worth it if it means heading over between Test Track and Cosmic Rewind.

I actually feel Rogue One is better than the original trilogy. For example, it is one of the few Star Wars movies that stands alone (don't need to see any prequals or sequels to "get it" and enjoy it) and tells such a complete story.

My feelings on Solo was that it was enjoyable for what it was, backgound info to fill out the character and to add to SW cannon. It wasn't "bad" and I do think it is underappreciated for what it is, it's not a blockbuster new story.

But back to thread topic. PLEASE VOTE as the board recommends.

My feelings on Solo was that it was enjoyable for what it was, backgound info to fill out the character and to add to SW cannon. It wasn't "bad" and I do think it is underappreciated for what it is, it's not a blockbuster new story.

But back to thread topic. PLEASE VOTE as the board recommends.
Sorry -- I have nothing to add about Solo, or any other Disney movie

However, I just voted for the Trian Group nominees for two reasons

DIS stock is down 37% over the past three years, and its yield is nothing to write home about. This is well short of the average market return during this period

Bob Iger is 73 years old and will be CEO for exactly one more year and 9 months. The previous successor to Iger 1 was a disaster (It pains me to say his name), and I don't have confidence about the succession plan for Iger 2.

This is why I feel that new, fresh voices to the board will enhance shareholder value

The Prophet

DIS stock is down 37% over the past three years, and its yield is nothing to write home about. This is well short of the average market return during this period

Bob Iger is 73 years old and will be CEO for exactly one more year and 9 months. The previous successor to Iger 1 was a disaster (It pains me to say his name), and I don't have confidence about the succession plan for Iger 2.

This is why I feel that new, fresh voices to the board will enhance shareholder value

The Prophet
Shareholder value, with corporate raiders, is only a temporary thing. Once the Disney company is broken up, the value for each division will plummet. I've seen it happen numerous times in the past. Look at Unocal for example. they fought of T. Boone Pickens, but didn't survive the cost of the fight. A nearly new, state of the art, Catalytic research center enploying a few hundred people was demolished, and is now a large housing subdivision, Their Marketing division is now part of Phillips 66, but was initially sold off to Tosco, before being purchased by Conoco/Phillips who is also struggling, before finally merging with Chevron. The refineries and substantial oil holding were sold off to Chevron early on.

A breakup would be disasterous for the Disney brand and their current stockholders. It a shame modern stock prices for most companies aren't based on a company's true value, or even earning potential, instead they are based on rumors and innuendo. Phillips, Conoco and Unocal are just shadows of their former glory. The same happens to any company controlled by corporate raiders.

Last edited:
Look at Unocal for example. they fought of T. Boone Pickens, but didn't survive the cost of the fight. A nearly new, state of the art, Catalytic research center enploying a few hundred people was demolished, and is now a large housing subdivision...
The Brea research facility?

The Brea research facility?
Yes. My Mom retired from there after 35 years, in the late 1970s, and they had just finished a major refurbishment and laboratory upgrade. She was the first woman in the labs of a major oil company starting at the LA Refinery, before the research center was built.

Here's a photo of her, taken at the Research Center in the 1960s, I think the ad was in a company magazine, as well as Time magazine I'm guessing 1960, because they used her married name, and she was married in May1957. I was born in late 1958, but I think the photo was after I was born. I remember her wearing those earrings, they were her favorite.

Luella At Work.jpg

Last edited:
Shareholder value, with corporate raiders, is only a temporary thing. Once the Disney company is broken up, the value for each division will plummet. I've seen it happen numerous times in the past. Look at Unocal for example. they fought of T. Boone Pickens, but didn't survive the cost of the fight. A nearly new, state of the art, Catalytic research center enploying a few hundred people was demolished, and is now a large housing subdivision, Their Marketing division is now part of Phillips 66, but was initially sold off to Tosco, before being purchased by Conoco/Phillips who is also struggling, before finally merging with Chevron. The refineries and substantial oil holding were sold off to Chevron early on.

A breakup would be disasterous for the Disney brand and their current stockholders. It a shame modern stock prices for most companies aren't based on a company's true value, or even earning potential, instead they are based on rumors and innuendo. Phillips, Conoco and Unocal are just shadows of their former glory. The same happens to any company controlled by corporate raiders.
I am not seeing anything in Trian's proposals to break up the company

https://restorethemagic.com/

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1345471/000090266423000183/p23-0016_exhibit1.pdf

Last edited:

The Prophet
Why does the value of the stock price during the streaming bubble even matter at this point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter