• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sharing meals on DDP?

KJHawley

Mouseketeer
I just want to make sure I'm right about this-
DW and I occasionally like to eat at different places. If we're both on the DDP, and we go to a buffet-style restaurant, I know that we both have to eat there (use a TS credit each), because we're not allowed to share food.
However, let's say we go to a regular TS restaurant- one she likes, but I don't, or maybe we're not that hungry. Can she order a TS meal- appetizer, main dish, and dessert- and let me share the meal with her, if I just order my own drink (or whatever) and pay for it separately?

I have never tried to share a meal on the dining plan however, I would imagine it might depend on the restaurant and the CM. If you explained that you were just going to have a drink while your wife ate her meal I can't see how they could knock you back. If you were going to actually share the meal then I could see them saying no.

I have read here that people have split meals with no issues. Servers even bring out the food already split on plates sometimes. Just tell them you are spliting the meal. I don't see why they would even care.

I don't see why it would matter. Your wife paid for her plan, therefore paying for that specific meal. What she does with it should be her business. I would think that she could share it with anyone (CMs, characters, the family behind her) and it shouldn't matter. It's hers... It would be different if it were a buffet or something. I would definitely complain if they told you that you couldn't!

My husband and I have used the dining plan twice now...it will be three times in May. We have shared several meals while on the dining plan. The only problem we had was once we were charged for 5 meals instead of 1...LOL. No problem, it was fixed very easily. One other time the waiter got kind of snotty with us. We have had our food delivered neatly split on two plates, and piled onto one plate for us to figure out. Different wait staff will handle it differently, but the final answer is yes you can split meals while on the dining plan. Remember though that the wait staff get their dining plan tip based on how much you spend on your meal so don't forget to tip extra if they go above and beyond to make the meal splitting an enjoyable thing for you.
If you are looking for more information on the dining plan I am happy to help.

Stephanie in Idaho
The 6' of snow really did turn to pixie dust... :tink: only 56 days till WDW
DH... :tigger: can't wait to see Tigger again!
ME... :eeyore: just happy to be going back so soon!

My DH, DS (4), DD (2) and I are going in early May and I can't decide whether or not to get the DP. We are not huge eaters and often we will split an appetizer and I'll get a salad or something for dinner while DH gets an entree. Is it possible to get 1 adult dining plan and 1 child's (DD 2 is free)?

buzzrelly said:
My DH, DS (4), DD (2) and I are going in early May and I can't decide whether or not to get the DP. We are not huge eaters and often we will split an appetizer and I'll get a salad or something for dinner while DH gets an entree. Is it possible to get 1 adult dining plan and 1 child's (DD 2 is free)?

Sorry, but everyone in the room has to be on the plan. You could always use some of your credits for extra meals, or for Signature Restaurants.

You might still get your money's worth if you look at it as breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just don't forget that all buffets and family style meals will count as 1 TS credit per person as there is no sharing.

If you want to see how we made the dining plan work, you can read our trip reports on the trip report forum. The first was titled...OUR FIRST HONEYMOON TEN YEARS IN THE MAKING! The second is titled...IT’S ONLY BEEN FOUR MONTHS & WE’RE GOING BACK AGAIN…TAKING THE KIDS THIS TIME!...I think.

Stephanie in Idaho
The 6' of snow really is pixie dust... :tink: only 56 days till WDW.
DH... :tigger: Can't wait to see Tigger again!
ME... :eeyore: Just happy to be going back so soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter